Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the gamble is you never really know if the hate's gonna be the fun kind of "WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING" Prison Break style or like Evil Within or Soul Suspect where it's just a lovely game that is annoying to try to make work. I imagine it's pretty hard to decide which your LP will be until you're already a few episodes deep, and then you have the lovely situation of 'so what, do we quit or do we keep trying to make the best'.

It's why they get the big bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea the gamble is you never really know if the hate's gonna be the fun kind of "WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING" Prison Break style or like Evil Within or Soul Suspect where it's just a lovely game that is annoying to try to make work. I imagine it's pretty hard to decide which your LP will be until you're already a few episodes deep, and then you have the lovely situation of 'so what, do we quit or do we keep trying to make the best'.

Eh, TEW was fine — production hell aside. It was crazy uneven instead of consistently boring, so for every terrible designed section you had a nice concept to keep you somewhat interested.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
MGR being relatively low on Matt's list is disappointing, but I imagine it being near the top of Pat and Woolie's lists.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I can't wait for a reminder of how weird Pat's calm voice sounds

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
In regards to an LP built around Hate, always keep in mind the Pat Parabola: while Matt, Woolie and Liam show affection for the games they like through hype and smiles, Pat exhibits his own special kind of love through becoming incrementally angry and hulk-like over a game the more it fails to achieve pure survival and/or horror immersion. Pointing out now that Asura's Wrath is not a survival horror game.

Next-Jin Engine fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 21, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Soul Suspect was funny at points just for the constant jabs at Woolie and Liam's playtesting whenever something bugged out.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Heads up to anyone wanting to pick up Def Jam: Fight for NY, the Xbox version does not work on the 360.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Now that I've seen the GG Xrd video, I'd like to ask you Matt (plus you guys!): can you see that kind of 3D anime-tion taking over from 2D for televised anime? Between Guilty Gear and the Naruto games it's so god drat pretty, relatively easy to make, similar enough to the existing 2D and would do wonders for a series like One Piece, where the animation is absolute hot garbage of the worst kind. All the hideous animation flubs Toei make at every turn would be eliminated and it opens up anime to a world of directorial choices that would otherwise be massively time consuming and expensive to make (and a whole lot smoother too). Western animation has embraced stylised 3D (the current TMNT is a great example), but I think the Japanese would take that ball and just loving run with it.

Hell, could I put that forward as a quesion for the podcast? I'd be really interested to know how the rest of the Zaibatsu feel about it.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Silentman0 posted:

MGR being relatively low on Matt's list is disappointing, but I imagine it being near the top of Pat and Woolie's lists.

Is it really that disappointing? Like where it places on a list? Like, who cares? I understand if it's not on a list at all, but come on, man.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

TheRealestMatt posted:

Is it really that disappointing? Like where it places on a list? Like, who cares? I understand if it's not on a list at all, but come on, man.

Yeah considering how many games come out in a year, just making it seems pretty good.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheRealestMatt posted:

Game of the Year lists are the best because everyone gets so mad that the their game doesn't make it to the "right" spot on the list.

See also: Everyone getting pissed off about Giant Bomb's GotY list before the list is even out.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Now that I've seen the GG Xrd video, I'd like to ask you Matt (plus you guys!): can you see that kind of 3D anime-tion taking over from 2D for televised anime? Between Guilty Gear and the Naruto games it's so god drat pretty, relatively easy to make, similar enough to the existing 2D and would do wonders for a series like One Piece, where the animation is absolute hot garbage of the worst kind. All the hideous animation flubs Toei make at every turn would be eliminated and it opens up anime to a world of directorial choices that would otherwise be massively time consuming and expensive to make (and a whole lot smoother too). Western animation has embraced stylised 3D (the current TMNT is a great example), but I think the Japanese would take that ball and just loving run with it.

Hell, could I put that forward as a quesion for the podcast? I'd be really interested to know how the rest of the Zaibatsu feel about it.

the recent berserk movies are done like this

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Judge Clayjar posted:

the recent berserk movies are done like this

To their detriment.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Silentman0 posted:

It's almost as if what order any "Top X Things" list goes in is totally subjective and, after a point, basically arbitrary.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

TheRealestMatt posted:

How DARE your best 10 list not be 3) Revengeance 2) 3D World 1) Wonderful 101 repeated over and over down the list. HOW DARE IT!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Rodyle posted:

To their detriment.

Arcsys to make all animes as of now!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Game of the Year lists are the best because everyone gets so mad that the their game doesn't make it to the "right" spot on the list.

See also: Everyone getting pissed off about Giant Bomb's GotY list before the list is even out.

but but brad might but destiny on it!!!! :byodood:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Rodyle posted:

To their detriment.

It was the only way they got made. It was that or nothing. It's a moot point anyway because no one went to see it. I guess they might make a profit with blu Ray sales but this is Japan and they seem incapable of making profits from anime now.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

It was the only way they got made. It was that or nothing. It's a moot point anyway because no one went to see it. I guess they might make a profit with blu Ray sales but this is Japan and they seem incapable of making profits from anime now.
They are making profit just fine, which is why more were made this year than any other year so far, it's just the way they target it has changed in weird ways. As for Berserk, it's honestly not suited to animation, or hell, even to color. Miura's own colored versions look very strange, because Berserk's style is drawn so heavily from like, 15th century lithographs and poo poo and because there's no possible way to make the animation anywhere NEAR Berserk's level of detail.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There have already been anime studios doing things like this; the studio for Tiger & Bunny put some of that technique into the Bahamut show, and Trigger studios have also been using masked CGI to make super-choreographed fights. It's just a matter of time before that technique gets incorporated into everything else, but the quality standards of the studios will likely stay the same in order to sell the same product that people like, and opening up CGI to cheap workhouse studios will likely open up entirely new and unique blunders for the world to marvel at.

also I don't think that One Piece animation is all garbage, its just about 70% garbarge
edit: 80% garbage accounting for filler

Next-Jin Engine fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 21, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
For those of you with a taste for Wang, Shadow Warrior is on sale for £2.99 on Steam.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

For those of you with a taste for Wang, Shadow Warrior is on sale for £2.99 on Steam.

You all need a little Wang in your lives.

Well, another one.

What I mean is you have a tiny penis. Also, Shadow Warrior is really fun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Roobanguy posted:

but but brad might but destiny on it!!!! :byodood:

I think that has more to do with the five hours brad is going to spend effectively filibustering to get it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Here, let's change the language a little.

Don't LP games you are bored of when playing.
Yeah, this wording works better. When I say "actively hate" I mean when they are absolutely against enjoying it in any way whatsoever and it brings the video down. Giant Bomb has had this problem a lot recently(within the last year or so) and it really makes videos painful to watch.

Basically, when people do videos because they feel obligated to and not because they want to, those are the worst kinds.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TheRealestMatt posted:

That's the thing, it's not the most mediocre Zelda. Not even by a long shot, the vast majority of people felt it was the best one in a long time...especially coming off the last two handheld Zeldas, which I struggle to think of any positives for.

Just curious, what do you think rank as the top Zeldas? I also wonder when "being hard" was a Zelda trope that needed to be followed? Aside from Zelda NES and Adventure of Link, none of the Zelda games have been particularly challenging.

Super late to reply but Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Link to the Past are my favorites. I'm a fan of OoT as well but it's been awhile since I played it. (Twilight Princess is a blur to me)

And yeah I'm not saying I want them to be hard and I agree the last two DS games sucked (I didn't even finish Spirit Tracks) but I just found everything to be a complete sleepwalk through Between Worlds. I didn't pick up any of the tunics to make it a bit harder on me and I still found it simple. Only dungeon that I really liked was the ice one because it had more then 2-3 floors and the puzzles felt more multi-layered.

Edit: I'm not after hard games either as a aside. Kirby for example is one of my favorite franchises out there and I got super hyped hearing Woolie talk it up on the podcast. (I am hoping he keeps playing it as the best hasn't even happened to him yet if he just beat the main story)

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 22, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Super late to reply but Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Link to the Past are my favorites. I'm a fan of OoT as well but it's been awhile since I played it. (Twilight Princess is a blur to me)

And yeah I'm not saying I want them to be hard and I agree the last two DS games sucked (I didn't even finish Spirit Tracks) but I just found everything to be a complete sleepwalk through Between Worlds. I didn't pick up any of the tunics to make it a bit harder on me and I still found it simple. Only dungeon that I really liked was the ice one because it had more then 2-3 floors and the puzzles felt more multi-layered.

Edit: I'm not after hard games either as a aside. Kirby for example is one of my favorite franchises out there and I got super hyped hearing Woolie talk it up on the podcast. (I am hoping he keeps playing it as the best hasn't even happened to him yet if he just beat the main story)

If you wanted it harder you should try it again on Hero Mode.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Improbable Lobster posted:

If you wanted it harder you should try it again on Hero Mode.

I did, stopped halfway because the dungeons themselves didn't change at all (from what I can tell) and I find "it just hits harder" to be a cheaper way of adding challenge. It's why I'm a fan of most Platinum games because when I select a harder difficulty 9 times out of 10 it changes enemy placements, or the old Silent Hills that would change up puzzles and such.

That being said in WWHD I did start on Hero mode and still had time to take selfies while up against every boss so it's not that that's a tough as nails game either. I just found it a lot more engaging and the dungeons more interesting.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

TheRealestMatt posted:

Just curious, what do you think rank as the top Zeldas? I also wonder when "being hard" was a Zelda trope that needed to be followed? Aside from Zelda NES and Adventure of Link, none of the Zelda games have been particularly challenging.

Another super-late answer here: Zelda and Zelda II on the NES are by far my favorites out of the ones I've played, with Zelda II being my favorite in the series. A Link to the Past is good, but overrated. Link's Awakening is underrated. Ocarina is a great game, but a tad overrated as well, and I stopped actively playing them at Majora's Mask, which I didn't bother finishing due to a combination of still have fatigue from Ocarina of Time and being distracted by other games.

I know that puts me in the minority of Zelda fans, but there you go. Even if Nintendo had the balls to face a huge backlash by deviating from the Lttp/OoT formula and make another side-scrolling Zelda adventure, it wouldn't have the charm, difficulty, and uniqueness that The Adventure of Link had and still has. The music, the palaces, the magic spells, being horrified at the cave maze to get the hammer, "I AM ERROR", etc. I love it all.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pat speaking in a calm tone of voice frightens me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Pat speaking in a calm tone of voice frightens me.

I legitimately took a few lines to realize this wasn't a bit where he was going to hijack someone else's top 10 or something.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Oh my god the wonderful 101 segment :allears:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

TheRealestMatt posted:

Well, gently caress me in the rear end, then. Just giving my opinion.

edit: Pat being calm is weird. Pat singing owns.

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 22, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ashtarath posted:

Pat rules, he knew which ones would be on most everyone's lists and just had fun with it.

"Do I need to tell you Mario is fun?"

"Also there's cats."

Also props to Pat for both SMT 4 and MH3:U being on his list, those tend to get forgotten in the tides of excellent games from that year.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Pats wonderful 101 segment made me smile, when I heard that song I couldn't stop singing it to myself as well.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow, Pat's list has Greatest Game Ever Made Deadly Premonition in it. That's great.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Pat is a great singer. :allears:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Silentman0 posted:

Well, gently caress me in the rear end, then. Just giving my opinion.

edit: Pat being calm is weird. Pat singing owns.

Calm down

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ashtarath posted:

We need more of that in our SBF videos. :swoon:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Love the contrast between Matt's sweet crankyconstruct animations and Pat just awkwardly standing in front of a camera and throwing up fingers

e: man def jam is such a great playthrough

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That was a really good 'best of...' video. Calm, concise, and the best summary why of Deadly Premonitions is good. Matt, please tell Pat do more solo stuff. I've enjoyed all three (?) solo videos that he's done so far. It really brings another element to the channel.