Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

Got in some more games today and I really like the command token system, it's really fun to play with as is the general fluidity of the new mechanics.

Kind of hoping we get a Moran resculpt for Corregidor, the one of them is a bit lovely looking and the other looks complete garbage. I think they'd look great with that new blockier armour style Corregidor tends to have over their current pyjamas.

I like the Morans well enough. The older/shittier one (without a cloak, and with his gun held up all weird) benefits a lot from a simple repose where his rifle is held down near his side. As ARM 0 units it wouldn't really make sense for them to have a lot of armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is it easiest to start out with sectorials or not as a new player?

I would start with a sectorial, personally. Link teams are extra rules, but are extremely powerful defensive tools - and playing defense is the most difficult thing to learn in Infinity. Plus it's easier to go from a sectorial to vanilla since all of your models remain valid choices (with a few merc exceptions for a couple of sectorials). I get annoyed trying to play a Haqq sectorial since I started with vanilla Haqq and no matter which sectorial I consider some of my minis, pieces that I've bought and painted, won't be available.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Corbeau posted:

I would start with a sectorial, personally. Link teams are extra rules, but are extremely powerful defensive tools - and playing defense is the most difficult thing to learn in Infinity. Plus it's easier to go from a sectorial to vanilla since all of your models remain valid choices (with a few merc exceptions for a couple of sectorials). I get annoyed trying to play a Haqq sectorial since I started with vanilla Haqq and no matter which sectorial I consider some of my minis, pieces that I've bought and painted, won't be available.

The NCA starter can be converted into regular PanO list piecemeal, the MO one is a little trickier because VanillaO is only supposed to have only 1 knight of any time (you get two).

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Genghis Cohen posted:

I like the Morans well enough. The older/shittier one (without a cloak, and with his gun held up all weird) benefits a lot from a simple repose where his rifle is held down near his side. As ARM 0 units it wouldn't really make sense for them to have a lot of armour.

Just give them blocky, padded jackets and same trousers as the current Alguacils. Would be a huge step up.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 19, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Rasail: They're awesome and make me regret not starting Tohaa. The biggest reason I'm not buying them just to paint is that it's a box release (and a huge painting backlog). I love the no-nonsense, non-sexualized female model, and I like how the Chaksas are in exactly the same poses as their respective masters, adds to the G: Synchronized feel. Sepsitorize them and make me a Sygmaa variant (without horns :v:).

Squalo: I like it. The Fist-of-FuryTM could be better, but it doesn't bother me that much, maybe it'll start once it gets as popular as the Rock O' Doom. Nice to see the most outdated TAG model get resculpted (seriously, that thing was McMurrough-levels of old). The main problem I see with it is the HGL hatch, no way that thing is not getting ripped off in transport unless it's glued shut or the whole model's magnetized.

Hac Tao: I have the old one. I like the old HMG design better. I think the current sculpts are too busy/detailed. It's an OK model, but my reasons to buy it are somewhere between zero and null. However, the weapon rack behind him looks VERY interesting and I want it :swoon:

Specnaz: CB took the parts of Intel I loved, and turned them up to 11. Badass, not over the top, I'd definitely grab one if I played Ariadna. I may still get one.

Penny: I think most of us have said everything about this model several months ago.

Sogarat: *rips old base from old HMG Sogarat, puts it on 40mm* I already have one! :haw: Same deal as Hac Tao; OK, but I like the old design better, I have one, so meh. And I loved the simplicity of the old axe haft, the new one's just like... why.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 19, 2014

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think the Squalo fisting fist isn't too bad, I think the photograph angles don't really help it though, you know what I mean? Like the 360 viewer on Giraldez' blog makes it look a lot better.

That Hac Tao paintjob is gorgeous and I love the Spetsnaz, one of my buddies gets really spergy about the VDV colours though. :v:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
They should have had the Squalo standing on a rock just to troll people.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

one of my buddies gets really spergy about the VDV colours though

175 years into the future, humanity has reached the stars and cured most mental disorders including Asperger's. Unfortunately Ariadna doesn't have the tech level of the main Human Sphere :v:

(oh who am I kidding, humans will continue to be lovely to each other for little/no reason anyway)

VVV: Which one?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 19, 2014

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I really, really want that to somehow be a thread title or subtitle somewhere, that's great.

E: The entire aspergers line mate, hahaha.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 19, 2014

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The Rasail, Hac Tao, and Sogarat are all awesome! The Rasail... well, I sold my Tohaa, so that ship's already sailed. The Hac Tao makes me want to play YJ, but I doubt that's happening in the long term. The Sogarat, however... hmmmm. If they resculpt Yaogats in a cool way, then I'm buying into Morats.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

For those of us who do write ups for forums and blogs, someone has uploaded a set of .PNG vectors of the unit symbols/logos here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9RXq5MF7KXuTWZweDFiQ1Fzb0U&usp=sharing

I figured it was worth sharing here as I know people other than myself do it and I want to do my rewrite of the PanO War Room nearly next year for sure.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Yu Jing were going to be my next faction whenever that new book was supposed to come out. But every new release they get makes it harder and harder to not just buy in now.

But then I look at some of the older looking sculpts and its right back to the waiting game. They need this way more than the Combined Army to me.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
So some people are saying that the PDFs for the missing models are not finished and are currently in proof-reading/layout and will be released when they are done with no ETA, and saying it in a way to strongly imply that the release of the stats isn't tied to Army Builder 5.

Is there an official statement with a road map somewhere? Did somebody have drinks with Carlos? Or is this just horseshit mythological thinking woven whole cloth out of the human need for answers in the face of a total lack of knowledge?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

There's no hard answers yet but plenty of people randomly guessing and spreading what they think.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Cyclomatic posted:

So some people are saying that the PDFs for the missing models are not finished and are currently in proof-reading/layout and will be released when they are done with no ETA, and saying it in a way to strongly imply that the release of the stats isn't tied to Army Builder 5.

Is there an official statement with a road map somewhere? Did somebody have drinks with Carlos? Or is this just horseshit mythological thinking woven whole cloth out of the human need for answers in the face of a total lack of knowledge?

My understanding is that we have word via an official post in the Spanish forum that there is no release date because CB isn't sure when the .pdf will be done and doesn't want to randomly guess a date that they might not make. I don't speak Spanish so I can't visit the Spanish forum to confirm.

Given that, I would expect it sometime in early January.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
My dad works for Nintendo Corvus Belli and he said Shiek is a girl Exrah are in the new PDFs out tomorrow.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I just had a look at the N3 rules, and there doesnt seem to be any mention of link-teams in them. Are we sure they arent going away?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

DJ Dizzy posted:

I just had a look at the N3 rules, and there doesnt seem to be any mention of link-teams in them. Are we sure they arent going away?

Link teams are from Human Sphere, just like sectorial armies.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Link teams are from Human Sphere, just like sectorial armies.

Ah, fair enough.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

Uh.... am I missing something or were shadow zones completely removed from the game? Are there any restrictions on speculative fire with regards to walls, the interiors of buildings, etc?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

Uh.... am I missing something or were shadow zones completely removed from the game? Are there any restrictions on speculative fire with regards to walls, the interiors of buildings, etc?
Nope, it's gone now mate.

Me and one of my buddies played a 300pt game using only book profiles and had some fun. Managed to cheekily use a SatLock to get a Targeted on a Hac Tao and snipe him dead with a Nisse. Targeted is such a useful mechanic. After removing that threat it let me set up control over one segment of the table by using a Dragao as fire support, very, very useful!

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 20, 2014

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
after having a good look through I am curious how CA players feel about some of the changes. MSV 3 isn't as good, Plasma now only does 1 wound against both defenses. Shasvasti got nerfed etc. I know a bunch of profiles aren't out but I'm kind of curious if you think overall CA is better considering what we know.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hoboskins posted:

after having a good look through I am curious how CA players feel about some of the changes. MSV 3 isn't as good, Plasma now only does 1 wound against both defenses. Shasvasti got nerfed etc. I know a bunch of profiles aren't out but I'm kind of curious if you think overall CA is better considering what we know.
And we effectively got 1 unit in the new book, if we're counting the loss of Exrah? If CA were my only faction I'd be pretty pissed off.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

On one hand, I'm not sure going first and shelling someone in their deployment zone with 7-8 orders worth of heavy grenade launcher fire is going to be super effective because they can dodge it with a -3, at least in a turn limited format. On the other hand I'm pretty sure that will be a massive NPE.

Not really understanding why shadow zones needed to go.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

Pierzak posted:

And we effectively got 1 unit in the new book, if we're counting the loss of Exrah? If CA were my only faction I'd be pretty pissed off.

Yeah ok glad it wasn't just me overreacting, I know a lot of profiles are still unseen but some of the base rule changes seem to have really hurt CA. Impersonation and the spec killer for example and the new sepsistor (though that may have been op before?). Hacking is one of the few places they got a respectable buff. Oh and Morats still seem overpriced? the morat rule is pretty good though Veteran lv 1 and religous troop.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 20, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

On one hand, I'm not sure going first and shelling someone in their deployment zone with 7-8 orders worth of heavy grenade launcher fire is going to be super effective because they can dodge it with a -3, at least in a turn limited format. On the other hand I'm pretty sure that will be a massive NPE.

I'm not sure where Squalo enters into that :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

Not really understanding why shadow zones needed to go.
gently caress that dude, Spotlight/FO/Sat-Lock them first and get those pinpoint artillery barrages going. That's the best use for it.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

All of that requires orders as well as getting models that can do that stuff to the target.

A Squalo can just walk up 6 inches, and shoot 9 times with a heavy grenade launcher at anything on the board. If their dice are hot they can theoretically kill 9 models before the other player gets a turn and there is nothing they can do about it other than make -3 dodge rolls.

I don't know if it will be effective at winning games, but it seems like it will be hyper effective at making people never play again.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cyclomatic posted:

All of that requires orders as well as getting models that can do that stuff to the target.

A Squalo can just walk up 6 inches, and shoot 9 times with a heavy grenade launcher at anything on the board. If their dice are hot they can theoretically kill 9 models before the other player gets a turn and there is nothing they can do about it other than make -3 dodge rolls.

I don't know if it will be effective at winning games, but it seems like it will be hyper effective at making people never play again.

You gotta sell those brand new resculpts to keep Bostria's cosplayers and (metal) crack habit.

Unrelated - I have an unboxed but otherwise untouched Imperial Service Starter Pack. Anyone want it for trade/$$?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Just got my Icestorm pack with one of the saucy secretaries figurines. Initially I was set on pano, but Hnnggg, that Mobile Brigada and Reverend healer sculpt.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

The mobile brigada sculpt is something else. I'm afraid to paint it because I might ruin it.

I mean, the ORC is good, but the MB is simply out of the park.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

Sounds like a massive waste of orders to me though, especially when you're stacking the speculative shot penalty onto a weapon with no positive range brackets, against a model that can dodge. Like I see where you're coming from but you're basically trying to rise a storm on something that isn't guaranteed on accomplishing much on the first turn (especially when a Command Token can get burnt strategically to limit what you're doing) and then you get rolled over on scenario for not taking an active first turn.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I have had a game where the Avatar did nothing but that for most of the time, and even with shadow zones was still able to ping me from across the board with little trouble. Unless the range bands have changed significantly, I can still see it as being a big problem for things as they are.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

The people on The Krug didn't seem very happy with the rule either.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Cyclomatic posted:

The people on The Krug didn't seem very happy with the rule either.

And I have to agree with their opinion that Shadow Zones will return before long out of necessity. CB has done a good job removing NPEs from Infinity, so it seems incredibly strange that this tactic even exists.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
What is an NPE?

I heard Bostria say that they didn't want people firing into and out of buildings despite being able to blow hole in walls, so I'm sure they will fix it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not a viking posted:

What is an NPE?

I heard Bostria say that they didn't want people firing into and out of buildings despite being able to blow hole in walls, so I'm sure they will fix it.
Negative play experience.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Flipswitch posted:

Negative play experience.

I thought it was New Player Experience? Or am I conflating it with the usage in PC/console gaming?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Z the IVth posted:

I thought it was New Player Experience? Or am I conflating it with the usage in PC/console gaming?

Nah, Flipswitch is right. It was originally a very useful term to describe things about a game that may or may not be unbalanced in terms of making someone win more, but that make the game less fun and drive away players. They removed land destruction from Magic for exactly that reason - it just took the game away from people, made them sit there doing nthing while the opponent played solitaire.

More and more, though, it becomes a term that means "something about a game I don't like" because people realized their complaints get taken more seriously that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Throne
Apr 9, 2014

Cyclomatic posted:

The HGL lost its +3 range, so it will be nowhere near as effective as it was. Also the second player can use a comand token to remove two orders from the Squalo.
So, assuming the second player deploys in a way to allow the Squalo to move into position, it can move up and fire 7 shots.
It's hitting on 9s, so on average it will only hit about 3 of those, hitting probably around 4-6 models.
Between passing dodges and armor saves, and units that have multiple wounds, that would result in about 2-3 kills.

So you are trading a turn and over extending your Squalo for a couple of kills. Now if you brought a pathfinder remote on the other hand...

• Locked thread