Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

seriously how dope would a mass effect - crusader kings 2 combo be? set on tuchanka and you can choose from amongst the krogan clans

Only if it means I finally get to play a Krogan Infiltrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

BreakAtmo posted:

Only if it means I finally get to play a Krogan Infiltrator.

Damage multiplier only applies to melee, but you can one hit kill a YMIR mech with a backhand.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pattonesque posted:

also the ends were bad

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Siets posted:

Destiny, but Mass Effect good instead.

Let's start simple.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

DarkHorse posted:

I just finished DA2, and having wondered how people who got into ME3 late in the game weren't disappointed I think I understand. I went into DA2 with expectations fully tempered, and I was able to enjoy it pretty well. I got annoyed by the reused assets but was prepared for it, and knowing I would never leave Kirkwall let me focus on making it the best city I could. I felt I got my money's worth, but since I only spent $10 that's not saying much. I can only imagine paying $60 right after playing Origins.

So given the furor over DA2 and ME3 and the success of Inquisition, does anyone think EA/Bioware have learned their lesson? Namely, that you can't crap out an RPG worth its salt every two years? And that it's better to spend a lot more time up front with (relatively) cheap writers and have time to develop lots more assets?
This was exactly me, down to paying $10 for it. Also the dude at Gamestop gave me the Signature Edition for the base game price because he felt bad for me. But I didn't hate it at all since I had 3 years of people calling it the worst game ever made so I went in expecting way worse than I got. I understand all of the complaints against it and agree that it really shits the bed in the 3rd act, but I paid :10bux: and wasn't eagerly anticipating it for 2 years.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Darth Windu posted:

It is undoubtedly the best game they've ever made, so yes you could probably say it is better.

but NWN was made years ago

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

JawKnee posted:

but NWN was made years ago

I said best game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best bioware game is Mass Effect 3.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

I said best game.

yeah, NWN is easily the best game Bioware has ever made :colbert:

because of the toolkit

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The one good thing to come out of Mass Effect 3: :speculate:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Siets posted:

The one good thing to come out of Mass Effect 3: :speculate:

Citadel came out of Mass Effect 3. :colbert:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
And Jaavik.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You'd think that Bioware would have said, "hey, we're making this game take place in an entire city and in the previous game, all the city locations were diverse and interesting, we should improve on that or at least keep status quo."

Nooooooope.

Running around, back and forth, back and forth. And the underground maps don't even make sense. Nothing in this game makes sense. I can't believe it got so many good reviews. Really shows you how much game review sites are in the developers pockets. Metacritic has one really bad review that is actually totally honest.

I filled out my DAI keep importer thing and just have Act 2 and 3 to go. I saw that I can kill the Qun rear end in a top hat at the end of Act 2, or during it, so I am going to soldier through because I didn't like him and think I want him dead. But I want to do it. Not just a checkbox.

E: I have hate hosed before, but never hate played a game. First for everything.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

E: I have hate hosed before, but never hate played a game. First for everything.

you weren't around for the no-save NES (and earlier) days?

also lol DA2 gets so much worse haha

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JawKnee posted:

you weren't around for the no-save NES (and earlier) days?

also lol DA2 gets so much worse haha

I was but if I didn't like a game, I just wouldn't play.

gently caress, if that stupid ball chase maze level of Battletoads was actually doable with a gamepad, I would have finished that game no problem. I'd get to that level with perfect plays. No lost lives, tons of 1-ups, and then see it all melt away on that stupid level.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Can't wait till you play Act III, the best act in the game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kurtofan posted:

If DA2 had somehow failed to convince you that Kirkwall needed to be burned to the ground and that Hawke was a miserable failure as a hero before, Act III certainly will.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

no kidding, although I think the true nadir is a toss up between (plot stuff) moms hilarious death or "The Tranquil Solution" :lol:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Geostomp posted:

If DA2 had somehow failed to convince you that Kirkwall needed to be burned to the ground and that Hawke was a miserable failure as a hero before, Act III certainly will.

JawKnee posted:

no kidding, although I think the true nadir is a toss up between (plot stuff) moms hilarious death or "The Tranquil Solution" :lol:

Haha those were messed up, but what really made me :stonk: was First Enchanter Orsino going "Welp, they want blood magic let's give them BLOOD MAGIC!" and turns himself into a giant mutant corpse-thing. I mean really, why?!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

DarkHorse posted:

Haha those were messed up, but what really made me :stonk: was First Enchanter Orsino going "Welp, they want blood magic let's give them BLOOD MAGIC!" and turns himself into a giant mutant corpse-thing. I mean really, why?!

Because EA insisted on at least one more boss and they already had this unique looking thing left over from Origins DLC. Even Varric says it doesn't make any sense in the actually good sequel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DarkHorse posted:

I never played DA2 so in the beginning of Inquisition when Varric mentioned Orsino, I looked that scene up on YouTube. It was probably the most unintentionally funny thing I've ever seen in a video game. Well, that and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDanX-beShQ

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just found out I hosed up by not buying bags in the first act. What a great mechanic!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kurtofan posted:

After that duel in act 2 -- which was a horrible slog for my rogue -- the beginning of act 3 was when I lost any desire to ever finish the game. I prefer to believe a dragon burned the whole city to the ground with everyone in it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Geostomp posted:

I think I just played the part of DAI that actually had someone mention something to this effect to Hawke.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DA2's animations in the cut-scenes (and really, in-game) are noticeably bad. I mean, probably not that much worse than ME1, but definitely much worse than ME2, which was released alongside. (and there's absolutely no comparison to ME3/DAI, unless you think clipping errors ruin everything)

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I'd like to remind everyone that Bioware tried to encourage people to buy Dragon Age 2 by giving away free copies of Mass Effect 2 for purchases made in the first month. At first that seems fair, because even a year after its release, I'd say Mass Effect 2 was worth shelling out $60, but then I remembered that Dragon Age 2 is worth -$60, in that I would pay someone to take it away.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Did that DA2 LP that got gassed end up reproduced anywhere besides the blog? All the pictures there are gone.

The talk about Inquisition has me considering buying it but then I'd feel obligated to play through DA2 as well. :gonk:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm already 1/3 of the way invested into this lump of poo poo.

Don't do it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Don't play video games out of obligation. Just wiki the story or something.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's what I did and it led me to playing the games. I was trying to wiki my way through the keep and decided there was so much that seemed interesting that I had to play DAO. Loved it. And of course since I did that I adsklfjla;sdjfl;kajsdkf;lja;lksdjfl;asjdk;lfjasl;dfj;lkajdkfl;jasl;kdjfl;kasjdf;lajsdlkfm

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just ask the characters what happened.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The one thing I can say, is I can just turn my brain off through most of this. The "map" makes it easy to tell where you need to go. ESC allows me to skip through conversations quickly. Easy mode makes combat, usually, a joke.

It doesn't help that I hate everyone in the party. I liked Anders in DAOA but he's a whiny bitch now. Varrick is okay. I hate everyone else. For a game that is so obviously about characters they did a poo poo job there, too.

This is really one of the worst gaming experiences I have ever encountered.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Aveline was okay for the most part and is the only romance option worth going for.

As for the rest, I found the game more palatable when I tricked myself into considering they were going for a parody of Bioware games.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hate this game so loving much.

Conrad Vernhadt? Really?

gently caress me.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Trapezium Dave posted:

Aveline was okay for the most part and is the only romance option worth going for.

As for the rest, I found the game more palatable when I tricked myself into considering they were going for a parody of Bioware games.
Sorry for turning this to DA2 chat, but there's no DA2 thread and I don't want to jump into the Inquisition thread before I've played it.

Varric, Aveline, and Isabela were the only ones I could tolerate. It had the added bonus of some pretty hilarious party dialogue.

Varric is just awesome, don't think anyone disputes this.
Aveline, while a bit of a stick in the mud, has your back if you help her out (and is hilariously stupid with relationships)
Isabela is just easygoing and fun, she knows who she is and what she likes and doesn't give a gently caress about anything. I can see how that would annoy some people, though. I was ticked at her connection with the Qunari, but since I had her in the party so much she redeemed herself in my game.

Merril is the worst combination of naive and dangerous, and is annoying to boot.
Anders is like the above, and is literally Hitler.
Carver I tried like hell to befriend, but he was dead set on being whiny and competing with Hawke over dumb poo poo. Whatever, man.

Fenris seemed cool and like he could be a bro, just never had room for him in the party/missed his loyalty quest.
Bethany died in Lothering, and I somehow missed Sebastian.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DarkHorse posted:

and I somehow missed Sebastian.

You probably didn't buy the DLC either. No, I'm not paying full price for DA2 DLC, EA.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

DarkHorse posted:

Varric is just awesome, don't think anyone disputes this.

He's bad.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I thought I was in a romance with Anders. He said, meet me at yer place and we'll bang. So I go there and Pirate Girl is there and I gently caress her. I don't understand this game.

E: In other words, Hawke is a whore.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Seyser Koze posted:

The talk about Inquisition has me considering buying it but then I'd feel obligated to play through DA2 as well. :gonk:

I'm not far into Inquisition (about 10-12 hours maybe) and the two things I know so far are that I don't feel I've missed anything by not playing DA2 or either of the other DAs, and that the idea that Mass Effect 4 is basically going to be an ME equivalent of it is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

The MSJ posted:

I think I just played the part of DAI that actually had someone mention something to this effect to Hawke.
Dorian, your fabulous gay companion in DAI has this exact conversation with Varric:

D: You know, Varric, I visited Kirkwall once.
V: Yeah? :haw:
D: Yes. It was kind of a shithole :v:
V: Yeah :smith:

Waltzing Along posted:

I thought I was in a romance with Anders. He said, meet me at yer place and we'll bang. So I go there and Pirate Girl is there and I gently caress her. I don't understand this game.

E: In other words, Hawke is a whore.
I did like the fact that you can just sleep around like a giant skank and also that you can hate-gently caress people in that game.

• Locked thread