Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
When the game tells me to pick a vent man to vent it up in the vents, man, I'm not gonna pick the bloody nerds. What's Tali gonna do when the collectors attack her when she's away from the squad, throw her omni-tool at them?
I picked Garrus, because he's probably good at vents and he also spent 90% of the game calibrating, so he should be fine with the tech part, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

urea
Aug 18, 2013

So I just bought ME2, and do I really have to dig through ini files to disable vsync and lower mouse sensitivity?
Console games, man...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

urea posted:

So I just bought ME2, and do I really have to dig through ini files to disable vsync and lower mouse sensitivity?
Console games, man...

maybe play it on a console instead of a computer like some kind of idiot nerd hope this help

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What kind of PC gamer complains about editing INI files.

urea
Aug 18, 2013

You're right, I should enjoy having to exit the game every time I want to change a setting as it is an essential part of the master race pc gaming experience.
And consoles and their games are stupid expensive here, which is just one of the benefits of living in a shithole country.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
*doesnt have max sensitivity*
*calls self a pc gamer*

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

urea posted:

You're right, I should enjoy having to exit the game every time I want to change a setting as it is an essential part of the master race pc gaming experience.
And consoles and their games are stupid expensive here, which is just one of the benefits of living in a shithole country.

well then at least plug in a pad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Adaptive Vsync if you have an nvidia card is the superior option. Also ME2 looks and runs great on even incredibly lovely PCs, soooo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

maybe just play a good game instead like deus ex HR

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Stux posted:

well then at least plug in a pad

Do console gamers have some sort of stockholm syndrome for their lovely controllers or something?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mymla posted:

Do console gamers have some sort of stockholm syndrome for their lovely controllers or something?

some games are just better on a pad sorry, this may be due to gameplay considerations (racing games, fighting games, third person games with lock on or mainly melee combat, platformers) or bad ports with bad kbm controls (mass effect obviously, dark souls) or a combination of both. also pads aren't hard to use well or annoying unless you are some kind of idiot nerd with a hard on for keyboards.

Stux fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 21, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mymla posted:

Gamepads are a longstanding PC Gaming tradition.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Great Joe posted:

Gamepads are a longstanding PC Gaming tradition.

jazz jackrabbit is incredible

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

I also think people should have died no matter what, if only because most of the effort that went into all the different savefile permutations of Mass Effect 2/3 rely on choices that 90% of players never make.

it is kind of funny/sad that for all the hype gamers put on the importance of choice and consequences and branching storylines in actual practice they just minmax everything and get nearly identical playthroughs because of it

Mymla posted:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mymla posted:

Considering that only poo poo games nowadays insist on using keyboards(old MMos and MOBAS) controllers are a good thing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There are games that benefit from mouse/keyboard, and those that benefit from a gamepad.

True pro choice is the guitar hero guitar, though.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Stux posted:

some games are just better on a pad sorry, this may be due to gameplay considerations (racing games, fighting games, third person games with lock on or mainly melee combat, platformers) or bad ports with bad kbm controls (mass effect obviously, dark souls) or a combination of both. also pads aren't hard to use well or annoying unless you are some kind of idiot nerd with a hard on for keyboards.

Yeah, I agree, some games are better on a pad. Mass Effect 2 is not one of them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mymla posted:

Yeah, I agree, some games are better on a pad. Mass Effect 2 is not one of them.

its not exactly a twitch shooter, a pad works just as well and is more comfortable to boot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

...of SCIENCE! posted:

it is kind of funny/sad that for all the hype gamers put on the importance of choice and consequences and branching storylines in actual practice they just minmax everything and get nearly identical playthroughs because of it

Well the problem is, letting people die in the suicide mission and elsewhere basically amounts to "playing less of the game," and why would you want to do that? ME2 is good. You kind of have to force the player's hand into making a hard decision if you don't want them to naturally pursue the "everybody lives, happiest solution" path every time.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

The Kins posted:

A new prototype drawing for Steam's Big Picture "controller configuration" screen floated into the beta client the other day. They've replaced the D-Pad with a 360-style analog stick and added D-Pad markings to the left touchpad.

Holy poo poo I loving called it with that picture I made. :stonk:

Now if only I could learn how to spell contorller.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

gently caress is it monday already

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I played Gex on PC with a joystick.

Weird times, man.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

exquisite tea posted:

Well the problem is, letting people die in the suicide mission and elsewhere basically amounts to "playing less of the game," and why would you want to do that? ME2 is good. You kind of have to force the player's hand into making a hard decision if you don't want them to naturally pursue the "everybody lives, happiest solution" path every time.

The real problem is the loyalty missions. They should have made it so you could only do a limited number of them and had to prioritize teammates, or scrapped those dumb missions and make the loyalty mechanic a morale mechanic, based on how each party member feels about your Shepard and your choices. So Garrus dies because his morale has been low the entire game because you always do the opposite of what he recommends, etc. But if there wasn't a save everyone option, I'm sure gigantic babies would have thrown a fit about it.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

that would be awful. the paragon/renegade structure would mean you either have to minmax which choices make your favorite characters live or have half of them die every time when you do the last mission

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

The real problem is the loyalty missions. They should have made it so you could only do a limited number of them and had to prioritize teammates, or scrapped those dumb missions and make the loyalty mechanic a morale mechanic, based on how each party member feels about your Shepard and your choices. So Garrus dies because his morale has been low the entire game because you always do the opposite of what he recommends, etc. But if there wasn't a save everyone option, I'm sure gigantic babies would have thrown a fit about it.

In the final heroic assault upon the Collector Base, Tali recalls the time when Shepard said her pilgrimage was stupid, a fleeting but crucial moment of hesitation that ultimately costs her life.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

kotor 2 had an influence system and it sucked because you had to use a guide to figure out which scenarios to take companions to if you wanted to ever hear their backstory. loyalty missions are a huge improvement because you can just play the game and not worry about missing content because you didnt take the right team to the right place 10 hours ago

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hog Inspector posted:

that would be awful. the paragon/renegade structure would mean you either have to minmax which choices make your favorite characters live or have half of them die every time when you do the last mission

They should have changed the Paragon/Renegade system, really.

You're supposed to be Spectre material, the kind of person who is capable of putting personal feelings aside and doing what needs to be done in order to prevent the entire galactic civilization turning into poo poo.

Paragon should have been upholding this ideal. Being the kind of ruthless, unfeeling space-rear end in a top hat you need to be in order to insure that people can sleep soundly at night. Renegade should have been the wishy-washy "But my feels :shobon:" attitude that ultimately would lead to more people dying because you didn't have the fortitude to do what needs to be done.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I liked the loyalty missions for the content but I think more of them should have been able to fail, or at least ended in "make questionable moral decision to gain loyalty, or a more moral one but now you don't get loyalty."

I also think the companion arguments ala Jack/Miranda should have ditched the P/R "everybody get along" override option, so that you really did have to choose carefully who was going to remain loyal to your cause.

Apparently there's a Grunt/Mordin crisis argument in the data files that was never implemented.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Ddraig posted:

They should have changed the Paragon/Renegade system, really.

You're supposed to be Spectre material, the kind of person who is capable of putting personal feelings aside and doing what needs to be done in order to prevent the entire galactic civilization turning into poo poo.

Paragon should have been upholding this ideal. Being the kind of ruthless, unfeeling space-rear end in a top hat you need to be in order to insure that people can sleep soundly at night. Renegade should have been the wishy-washy "But my feels :shobon:" attitude that ultimately would lead to more people dying because you didn't have the fortitude to do what needs to be done.

awesome i love 24 morality in my video games

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hog Inspector posted:

It would be at least a minor improvement over "Be a reasonably decent human being"/"Be a massive prick often for no reason" that is the paragon/renegade system they had. What's particularly annoying is the times where the renegade option makes a fight easier but is some dumb "Look how hard rear end you are!" action, when paragon just does nothing even though they should easily have the same option just in a less rear end in a top hat way. Like for the Garrus recruitment mission in 2, there's a mechanic working on the gunship you fight later, and your options are to either do nothing to him or impale and electrocute him on one of his tools. Like where's the option to just give him a whack on the back of the head? I pretty much decided to ignore all renegade options from that point on since I'm sure they were about as stupid.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 21, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hog Inspector posted:

It would make a nice change from "Punch a kitten or save a dog from drowning" that these types of games typically turn into.

Like, killing off the Rachni queen is a completely loving awful thing to do on principle. You're playing God in the worst possible way, but given your role as a Spectre it's the sort of hard decision you have to make because it's your job to do awful stuff like that on a daily basis so Joe Blow in the middle of Bumfuck, Nowhere doesn't have to worry about a bunch of ravenous alien parasites killing his family.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Ddraig posted:

It would make a nice change from "Punch a kitten or save a dog from drowning" that these types of games typically turn into.

Like, killing off the Rachni queen is a completely loving awful thing to do on principle. You're playing God in the worst possible way, but given your role as a Spectre it's the sort of hard decision you have to make because it's your job to do awful stuff like that on a daily basis so Joe Blow in the middle of Bumfuck, Nowhere doesn't have to worry about a bunch of ravenous alien parasites killing his family.

so your solution to "punch a kitten or save a dog from drowning" is "punch a kitten or people die"

chumbler posted:

It would be at least a minor improvement over "Be a reasonably decent human being"/"Be a massive prick often for no reason" that is the paragon/renegade system they had.

the p/r system was dumb and arbitrary but replacing it with grimdark SOMEONE ALWAYS LOSES would be even worse

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Inquisition had the right idea by ditching numerical morality points altogether, largely hiding companion approval from the player, and giving each decision its own set of positive and negative consequences. It lets you make more choices based on what kind of Inquisitor you want to be rather than the gamey "but then I won't have enough happy points to pass this speech check later on" approach many of these games tend to have.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The system Mass Effect and other games like that use typically runs into the problem where pretty much everything has to turn out for the best or at the very least have a meaningless conclusion because you have to compensate for the idea that most people who play such games are babies and say they want consequences but ultimately don't

This is why you get people savescumming if things don't ultimately go their way, or whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ddraig posted:

The system Mass Effect and other games like that use typically runs into the problem where pretty much everything has to turn out for the best or at the very least have a meaningless conclusion because you have to compensate for the idea that most people who play such games are babies and say they want consequences but ultimately don't

This is why you get people savescumming if things don't ultimately go their way, or whatever.

Well fortunately Dragon Age has an integrated savescum feature now for people who were legitimately upset that everything didn't turn up sunshine and rainbows for them, and this will hopefully be part of Mass Effect 4 so that the Shepard harem creeps can faff off in their own perfect universe.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I mean, wouldn't it be great if you legit chose badly in a game and later on it did come back and gently caress you incredibly hard? Rather than "You chose to save this hostile alien species, and surprise surprise this was the right decision as they're going to come back and save people" it was actually "Well you chose to save this hostile alien species and surprise surprise they loving ate everyone. You suck"

I kind of appreciated this about Wasteland 2 in that choice and consequence aren't readily apparent a lot of the time so killing someone may make people hostile to you in the future and completely lock you out of certain things.

I remember a lot of people complaining about the one village where you can go in Guns Blazing and then being surprised to find out a lot of stuff you can do in that place being sort of reliant on you not being a douche bag and killing everyone.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mymla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02my_zhX4Bs

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Jesus Christ.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ddraig posted:

I mean, wouldn't it be great if you legit chose badly in a game and later on it did come back and gently caress you incredibly hard? Rather than "You chose to save this hostile alien species, and surprise surprise this was the right decision as they're going to come back and save people" it was actually "Well you chose to save this hostile alien species and surprise surprise they loving ate everyone. You suck"

I kind of appreciated this about Wasteland 2 in that choice and consequence aren't readily apparent a lot of the time so killing someone may make people hostile to you in the future and completely lock you out of certain things.

I remember a lot of people complaining about the one village where you can go in Guns Blazing and then being surprised to find out a lot of stuff you can do in that place being sort of reliant on you not being a douche bag and killing everyone.

I think it's better if instead of being able to choose "badly" at all, the game makes it feel like you always chose pretty well with balanced upsides and downsides to every major decision point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ideal outcomes should be used very sparingly in RPGs, I think. "Choose to support character A or character B" is (potentially) interesting. "Choose to support A, B, or do some busywork that lets you make both A and B happy" isn't interesting.

• Locked thread