Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching the Stallone stinker Escape Plan and at the end of the movie when they're escaping the secret prison Stallone and his cohorts just start murdering the gently caress out of all the guards. The guards don't know that Stallone was wrongfully imprisoned so as far as they know he's an actual prisoner trying to escape which means they're getting killed just for doing their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

muscles like this? posted:

I was watching the Stallone stinker Escape Plan and at the end of the movie when they're escaping the secret prison Stallone and his cohorts just start murdering the gently caress out of all the guards. The guards don't know that Stallone was wrongfully imprisoned so as far as they know he's an actual prisoner trying to escape which means they're getting killed just for doing their jobs.

On the other hand, No Innocent Stormtrooper. They're "guards" at an illegal black site prison that will imprison anyone for the right price and engages in abuse and torture of its prisoners. It's implied that most if not all of the guards are aware and willingly complicit.

(Still a poo poo movie with one good line - "you punch like a vegetarian".)

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I watched the DVD of Guardians of the Galaxy the other day with a hearing impaired friend, and it bugged me that all the classic songs on the tape were listed in the subtitles as "[ROMANTIC POP SONG PLAYING]" and you're like come on, it's not hard to find these titles, guys, the tape was available on Google Play for totally free.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What would a deaf person hear in his mind when he reads ROMANTIC POP SONG?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I've been watching The Sopranos lately and it reminded me of the translation discussion. Quite often they leave whole conversations in Italian untranslated which is fine as it adds to the atmosphere. For example I just watched the episode where Furio beats the poo poo out of the brothel owner and his Filipino wife and he repeatedly speaks to them in untranslated Italian. It adds to the scene because he's presumably shouting insults and threats and it sounds the same to the viewer as it does to the two characters who haven't a breeze what he's saying.

HBO seems to do this a lot. I remember it happening in Boardwalk Empire, with Meyer Lansky speaking unsubtitled Russian (coincidentally, in a scene where he beats the poo poo out of someone).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

On the other hand, No Innocent Stormtrooper. They're "guards" at an illegal black site prison that will imprison anyone for the right price and engages in abuse and torture of its prisoners. It's implied that most if not all of the guards are aware and willingly complicit.

(Still a poo poo movie with one good line - "you punch like a vegetarian".)

It was a mistake to make the guards all faceless nobodies, with the exception of Vinnie Jones. I was also kind of creeped out by the ending where they get revenge on the business partner by leaving him to die in a cargo container. I mean, sure he locked up Stallone but he wasn't trying to kill him.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

It was a mistake to make the guards all faceless nobodies, with the exception of Vinnie Jones. I was also kind of creeped out by the ending where they get revenge on the business partner by leaving him to die in a cargo container. I mean, sure he locked up Stallone but he wasn't trying to kill him.

Well, not directly. It's not hard to fathom that the "prison" Stallone got sent to was supposed to be inescapable and that D'Onofrio expected Stallone would either die there or be killed in an escape attempt. You're right that the "left to die a torturous death" ending was a little over-the-top, but Hollywood revenge fantasies almost never wind up seeming reasonable after the fact.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Mans posted:

Shiiiiiiiiiit okay yeah it was irrational.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Speaking of cars in the post-apocalypse. Remember Will Smith driving around in a Mustang GT500 in I am Legend?

I really hated that movie, they tried way too hard to turn the main character into a SCIENCE BADASS with a FAST CAR who wants to SAVE THE WORLD when he was just a normal shmuck in the novel.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Well if you thought you were the only human left in the world, wouldn't you want to drive a sports car around?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
To be fair, Neville drove around in a car in the original book. Not a cutting-edge sports car, though.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Mans posted:

Nothing? I guess it would be better for the hearing impaired or those who used to be able to hear, then it would be worth adding the title.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, Neville drove around in a car in the original book. Not a cutting-edge sports car, though.

He was really choosy with what he drove, though. I can't remember the specific model, but he explicitly mentioned that he knew it inside and out and was skilled enough to make the necessary repairs. In fact, the book did a great job illustrating Robert Neville as an everyman with enough time on his hands to become really ridiculously good at a lot of things while leaving faint hints toward the true nature of his adversaries. He's utterly sympathetic, but his loneliness dehumanized him in some indescribable way.

God, the movie pisses me off so much. YOU DON'T NEED TO TURN THE MAIN CHARACTER INTO AN ACTION MOVIE SCIENCE WIZARD. THE STORY CAN STAND ON ITS OWN. GIVE YOUR AUDIENCE A loving CHANCE, PLEASE, I AM ON MY KNEES HERE.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember reading a discarded script for that years before it came out, even though they were already talking about Will Smith in the lead, where the vampires were a cult with magical blood powers. I want to say we got off light.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Gordon Shumway posted:

HBO seems to do this a lot. I remember it happening in Boardwalk Empire, with Meyer Lansky speaking unsubtitled Russian (coincidentally, in a scene where he beats the poo poo out of someone).

That was Yiddish, but yeah, there were quite a few scenes of unsubtitled Yiddish & Sicilian in Boardwalk. Also Eddie's gothic cursive letter that wasn't directly translated, IIRC it was only partially summarized by a character. A nice detail not having him use latin cursive.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember reading a discarded script for that years before it came out, even though they were already talking about Will Smith in the lead, where the vampires were a cult with magical blood powers. I want to say we got off light.

At this point, why even call it I Am Legend? That'd be like making a movie about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and saying they're actually aliens or some stupid crap, or basing a movie on Battleship and tossing in aliens and robots.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Halloween Jack posted:

IT wasn't a foundry, it was a Fire and Steam Factory. They only exist for cool movie battles to happen in. You can't see it, or hear it over the noise, but Connor MacLeod was beheading someone two floors up.
There's also a "spraying sparks" floor where all of the 80s hair metal bands were making their music videos. Thank you Patton Oswalt for that nugget.

Away all Goats posted:

Or that no one would use bicycles. An inexpensive, fuel-free, easy to maintain (and obtain) transportation that lets you outpace zombies (even fast ones). Also most of them can go off road and transport at least 2 people. Nope, instead everyone drives around in cars or if their car breaks down, they just walk. Put like 2 bikes in the trunk or on the roof!
That's something that World War Z got right, in the South Korea segment. The army dudes ride bikes to get out to the fuel truck, but one guy gets snagged on the razor wire and cue the action sequence.

CannonFodder has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Dec 16, 2014

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

CannonFodder posted:

There's also a "spraying sparks" floor where all of the 80s hair metal bands were making their music videos. Thank you Patton Oswalt for that nugget.

Isn't that where the hot babes with power tools hang out, waiting for Scritti Politti to bang them because they're not getting any cock from Jackyl (with a Y)?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Over the top revenge reminds me of Premium Rush, a fairly fun action movie that ends with the villain confusedly narrating his own slow death. It seemed so out of place after such a relatively silly movie.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Screaming Idiot posted:

Isn't that where the hot babes with power tools hang out, waiting for Scritti Politti to bang them because they're not getting any cock from Jackyl (with a Y)?
The very same.

I did say it came from Patton Oswalt.

CannonFodder has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Dec 16, 2014

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

At this point, why even call it I Am Legend? That'd be like making a movie about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and saying they're actually aliens or some stupid crap, or basing a movie on Battleship and tossing in aliens and robots.

It didn't even have the titular line.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Over the top revenge reminds me of Premium Rush, a fairly fun action movie that ends with the villain confusedly narrating his own slow death. It seemed so out of place after such a relatively silly movie.

Yeah, I didn't like that either. Especially because Michael Shannon's villain was immensely more likable than JGL's main character. It was also disproportionate punishment seeing as Michael Shannon wasn't trying to kill anyone, he just wanted the chit.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Bushmaori posted:

Nothing? I guess it would be better for the hearing impaired or those who used to be able to hear, then it would be worth adding the title.

They might know the lyrics too, to get a feel for what the mood of the song is, or want to know the title to be able to look them up.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Stottie Kyek posted:

They might know the lyrics too, to get a feel for what the mood of the song is, or want to know the title to be able to look them up.

Actually another thing that bugged me that might be a little more legit is that when Quill starts singing along to Ooh Child it just says [Singing Along to Music] and [Continues Singing] rather than any of the lyrics.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
This one isn't so much about the film itself but the director's comments about it:

All is Lost (it's on Netflix--go watch Robert Redford fight for survival on a boat. It's good.)

Ending spoilers ahoy:

In an interview, director J.C. Chandor says he intended for the ending to be "ambiguous," and for it to be up to the viewer to decide if the protagonist lived or died.

What the gently caress is ambiguous about a literal burning ring of fire and Redford being lifted into a white light?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This one isn't so much about the film itself but the director's comments about it:

All is Lost (it's on Netflix--go watch Robert Redford fight for survival on a boat. It's good.)

Ending spoilers ahoy:

Because it could either be him dying and going to heaven, or a rescue helicopter spotlight and a hoist starting to happen.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Light Gun Man posted:

That reminds me, the non-engish conversations in Agents of SHIELD say gently caress it and don't sub a drat thing. People will have a whole conversation in Russian or whatever and you don't know what the hell they are saying, and it's ok. The world doesn't end or anything.

I think that only happens on the Netflix version, the original airing subs foreign language.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Elendil004 posted:

Because it could either be him dying and going to heaven, or a rescue helicopter spotlight and a hoist starting to happen.

I guess I get how you could interpret it different ways, but man, come on: he destroys his last means of survival, falls in the water and gives up, ready to die. Then, to his left, there's a bright white light, and to his right, a ring of fire. He's pulled toward the white light and ascends into it, and there's a fade to white before the credits roll.

To me, there's absolutely no ambiguity. It's perfectly clear what the director had in mind!

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

JT Smiley posted:

I think that only happens on the Netflix version, the original airing subs foreign language.

That wouldn't surprise me, since Netflix has not been showing subtitles for a bit. I've been rewatching X Files, and the lack of subtitles made the second season finale opening more cool, since it was pretty easy to figure out the gist of what was being said. However, whatever they did that scrubbed subtitles also got rid of the "THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE" and variants that show up at the end of the opening credits.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

EdibleBodyParts posted:

That wouldn't surprise me, since Netflix has not been showing subtitles for a bit. I've been rewatching X Files, and the lack of subtitles made the second season finale opening more cool, since it was pretty easy to figure out the gist of what was being said. However, whatever they did that scrubbed subtitles also got rid of the "THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE" and variants that show up at the end of the opening credits.

They removed the zip in and out subtitles from Burn Notice, too. Which is irritating since they tend to be jokes and not actual subtitles.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MisterBibs posted:

I guess I internally make a distinction between Dead and Actually A Zombie. You'd figure that one (or more) zombies who have nothing but eat_flesh.exe running constantly would pick apart a corpse before it would/could animate.

There was a short story I read a while ago about a bunch of zombies who retained their minds in the midst of a zombie apocalypse (but still craved human flesh). They would eat a living person then let the bloody remains turn, so it was a shambling skeleton with a few bits of muscle and tendon keeping it together.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Buzkashi posted:

Actually another thing that bugged me that might be a little more legit is that when Quill starts singing along to Ooh Child it just says [Singing Along to Music] and [Continues Singing] rather than any of the lyrics.

What's even more annoying is what they do in The Netherlands and Belgium occasionally when a movie has a song in it: Sub the song lyrics, and translate them to Dutch. It just looks ridiculous almost every time they try.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Someone mentioned the single tear during death scenes. What about the trickle of blood out of the corner of the mouth? And the stuttering? "It was...k...kkk....kkkk...k...."

*whispers*

"Kenneth..."

*Blood trickles down - tear flows*

I've seen a few people die in my day and that's not at all how dying works. I hate this trope. It should have begun and ended with 'Rosebud".

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
No matter where they were shot, they get blood oozing out. Usually no where around the lungs or trachea.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

When I was a kid in the 80s I literally thought the way you knew someone was dead was when blood came out of the corner of their mouth.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
More Fringe stuff, early S2. A suicide or a couple of missing person cases? Better send in the FBI! And hand them over all files and evidence because the not-agent guy is also into fishing!

Olivia almost blows Peter's head off with her sidearm because of voices in her head and nothing happens. Missfire, covers Peter for her :lol:.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Someone makes a bomb by sticking some stuff in a microwave and it doesn't detonate until we've heard the ding. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work like that unless you wired an explosive to the bell.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A lot of microwaves ding when the scheduled program starts. So the micro is not actually on before the ding goes.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Someone makes a bomb by sticking some stuff in a microwave and it doesn't detonate until we've heard the ding. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work like that unless you wired an explosive to the bell.

Mythbusters tested that, actually, and not, it doesn't.

If the bomb stuff has a detonator, then as soon as the microwave turns on it'll spark the blasting cap and explode, but you wouldn't have time to get away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Mythbusters tested that, actually, and not, it doesn't.

If the bomb stuff has a detonator, then as soon as the microwave turns on it'll spark the blasting cap and explode, but you wouldn't have time to get away.

Unless you have a fancy non-metallic non-electric blasting cap. Then I guess it depends on how hot the nuking makes it.