Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jason La Canfora says UM is also targeting Sean Payton and Doug Marrone as possible options.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24906661/john-harbaugh-sean-payton-doug-marrone-jason-garrett-on-michigans-radar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

lol

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer
This late in the game, you'd think guys who know nothing would just shut up like the rest of us, and wait to see what's going to happen.

I think even basic logic dictates that Michigan is waiting solely on Harbaugh at this point.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NFL reporters get their info from agents and coaches. Harbaugh has deliberately kept them out of the loop to limit the exposure and keep the pressure off him and his team. His agent with the 49ers (David Dunn) does not represent any college coaches, and is thus likely to lose a client if Harbaugh goes to Michigan. They are the likely source of all the stuff about Harbaugh staying in the NFL because that's what they want to happen.

All the negotiations with Michigan have gone through his dad, Jack Harbaugh. Hoke losing to Maryland and not getting to a bowl game has complicated things considerably, as Michigan fans are not distracted by bowl game preparations and as a result stuff keeps dribbling out.

I guess this is a complicated way of saying that Jason La Confora does not seem to know what he's talking about.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I just can't fathom where that Sean Payton rumor is even coming from. It is so bad — did someone just decide to troll the hell out of a reporter? It's message board garbage at it's worst. It's conceivable that the search firm might have contacted his agent to cover all bases, but Payton isn't going to be interested in Michigan under any circumstances. How could he possibly be a target?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Deteriorata posted:

NFL reporters get their info from agents and coaches. Harbaugh has deliberately kept them out of the loop to limit the exposure and keep the pressure off him and his team. His agent with the 49ers (David Dunn) does not represent any college coaches, and is thus likely to lose a client if Harbaugh goes to Michigan. They are the likely source of all the stuff about Harbaugh staying in the NFL because that's what they want to happen.

All the negotiations with Michigan have gone through his dad, Jack Harbaugh. Hoke losing to Maryland and not getting to a bowl game has complicated things considerably, as Michigan fans are not distracted by bowl game preparations and as a result stuff keeps dribbling out.

I guess this is a complicated way of saying that Jason La Confora does not seem to know what he's talking about.

You're getting into AsInHowe levels of making poo poo up.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

disheveled posted:

I just can't fathom where that Sean Payton rumor is even coming from. It is so bad — did someone just decide to troll the hell out of a reporter? It's message board garbage at it's worst. It's conceivable that the search firm might have contacted his agent to cover all bases, but Payton isn't going to be interested in Michigan under any circumstances. How could he possibly be a target?

Couldn't agree more.

I think some people have trouble separating what they want to be true from what they think might be true. PAYTON TO MICHIGAN is, I think, one of those instances.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
His contract isn't even up until 2017, and there's no way in gently caress the Saints fire him. Michigan might as well try to sign Drew Brees as their QB for all the progress they'll make on the Payton front.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Volkerball posted:

His contract isn't even up until 2017, and there's no way in gently caress the Saints fire him. Michigan might as well try to sign Drew Brees as their QB for all the progress they'll make on the Payton front.

I think we can all agree that's just silly speculation.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well the stuff about the agents is true

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He kept separate agents for college and pros in 2011. It's his MO.

The guy know how the system works.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the one in denial here.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Neodoomium posted:

Well the stuff about the agents is true

The agents bit, but like everything else about that is kind of silly. It's also more of the silly narrative that the only people who know anything at all are MICHIGAN FANS, BOOSTERS AND BLOGGERS, while everything else is just 'tripe.'

Basically every story that casts doubt on whether or not he might take the job is junk and anything positive is God 's Own Word. It would be hilarious if it weren't so obnoxious.

Deteriorata posted:

He kept separate agents for college and pros in 2011. It's his MO.

The guy know how the system works.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the one in denial here.

Yep. You're right. This has all been kabuki theatre master minded by Harbaugh. Michigan Posters and Boosters have all had the Inside Scoop from day one and he's just biding his time before making announcement. :allears:

But hey, whatever makes you feel more important on the internet, Det.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 21, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yep. You're right. This has all been kabuki theatre master minded by Harbaugh. Michigan Posters and Boosters have all had the Inside Scoop from day one and he's just biding his time before making announcement. :allears:

But hey, whatever makes you feel more important on the internet, Det.

This has all been in the works for a couple months, at least. Hackett was hired as interim AD precisely because of his links to the Harbaugh family. Landing Harbaugh was his only task.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

This has all been in the works for a couple months, at least. Hackett was hired as interim AD precisely because of his links to the Harbaugh family. Landing Harbaugh was his only task.

So you're willing to say, with absolute :toxx: certainty that Jim Harbaugh is going to be the next HC of the Wolverines and this is all just been one long exercise in Kabuki Theatre?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So you're willing to say, with absolute :toxx: certainty that Jim Harbaugh is going to be the next HC of the Wolverines and this is all just been one long exercise in Kabuki Theatre?

Harbaugh likes Brady Hoke and did not want to be perceived as pushing him aside for his job. He also did not want to abandon his team in midseason so as to keep his NFL options open.

The timetable has been circa Jan. 1 for a hire right from the start. Michigan has not pursued anyone but Harbaugh. Harbaugh has never declined Michigan's obvious interest.

I don't do toxxes but everything has been arranged at this point. Michigan does not have him under contract as he is still under contract with the 49ers. He has signed a non-binding MoU. Coaches have told a couple recruits who were threatening to jump ship that Harbaugh will be their head coach.

There is always the possibility of something blowing up prior to ink on paper and a press conference, but that seems quite unlikely at this point. We will learn about it all soon enough.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Harbaugh likes Brady Hoke and did not want to be perceived as pushing him aside for his job. He also did not want to abandon his team in midseason so as to keep his NFL options open.

The timetable has been circa Jan. 1 for a hire right from the start. Michigan has not pursued anyone but Harbaugh. Harbaugh has never declined Michigan's obvious interest.

I don't do toxxes but everything has been arranged at this point. Michigan does not have him under contract as he is still under contract with the 49ers. He has signed a non-binding MoU. Coaches have told a couple recruits who were threatening to jump ship that Harbaugh will be their head coach.

There is always the possibility of something blowing up prior to ink on paper and a press conference, but that seems quite unlikely at this point. We will learn about it all soon enough.

Jesus christ. You really do buy all this poo poo. I am done.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The best part is that if Harbaugh does not take the job they have the excuse all set up for him backing out of the agreement. It's an amazing persecution complex.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Harbaugh is coming, he just can't come for eight or nine days. Nothing to do but waitm

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Occam's razor is a bitch.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deteriorata posted:

I'm pretty sure Occam's razor in this case is the successful major league coach staying in the major leagues like literally every other successful NFL coach.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

Deteriorata posted:

Can you seriously cite a single source for all the claims you're making about Jack Harbaugh, secret negotiations/agreements, him liking Brady Hoke, etc? Because it's not Occam's razor if it relies on MGoBlog message board rumors.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

:goonsay:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Salty tears of Michigan fans would be great, but at this point seems its a lot likelier now that Harbaugh will be the coach of Michigan than it appeared just a week or two ago.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Volkerball posted:

I'm pretty sure Occam's razor in this case is the successful major league coach staying in the major leagues like literally every other successful NFL coach.

Except that he's actually spent more time coaching at the college level, and is a total lunatic that is getting forced out of a gig because he treats his players like kids.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The best part is Harbaugh is either going to go 11-2 for two seasons and bolt right back to the NFL or get 8 wins forever and coach Michigan until he dies

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

The best part is Harbaugh is either going to go 11-2 for two seasons and bolt right back to the NFL or get 8 wins forever and coach Michigan until he dies

Yeah I don't really get that. Why do that vs. getting any of the NFL jobs available now? A guy like Pete Carroll that was an NFL lifer lasted 8 years in college even though his name kept popping up.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pugnax posted:

Except that he's actually spent more time coaching at the college level, and is a total lunatic that is getting forced out of a gig because he treats his players like kids.

Almost every NFL coach has spent more time coaching in college. You have to have work experience to get promoted. I think the issue is more York and Balke disliking Harbaugh as a person than anything related to his coaching.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Andrew AbramsonVerified account ‏@AbramsonPBP

Ross to reporters: "Here's a Christmas present. You don't have to ask me anymore. He has one year left on contract and is coming back"

1:48 PM - 21 Dec 2014

(referring to Joe Philbin)

I guess Stephen knows Harbaugh won't be available for an NFL job next year. :raise:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Watching Det get completely sucked into this mass conspiracy to hire Harbaugh has made all this completely worth it.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

My daily routine through this has been to get up, check mgoblog and its forums to see what crazy bullshit we're going to argue about today in TFF.

Then I go to TFF and pop an excedrin.

Then to cleanse my palette I listen to Run the Jewels for 90 minutes.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Watching Det get completely sucked into this mass conspiracy to hire Harbaugh has made all this completely worth it.

Squeezing this cloak and dagger conspiracy horseshit into Occam's Razor was really the cherry on top.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hmm, yes. A billionaire who has openly courted Harbaugh for years and spoken within the last month of how he would make a run at Harbaugh if he became available has suddenly clammed up and decided to keep the coach he doesn't want for another year.

This is certainly a meaningless piece of information.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Squeezing this cloak and dagger conspiracy horseshit into Occam's Razor was really the cherry on top.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

All this hoopla, aggressive feelings, and everything is going to pay off in a month when the Michigan Hire Announcement will be some version of "who the hell is Kris Cinkovich?"

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer
Not that I'm going to pretend like I know what Harbaugh is going to do, or that anybody else truly knows, but these are signs pointing in the right direction, yes? Like if Harbaugh signed, would you still be legitimately surprised that he did so, and think that all of these rumors and rumblings were just static that had no impact on the final result?

Trot_to_Trotsky fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 22, 2014

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Adun posted:

Yeah I don't really get that. Why do that vs. getting any of the NFL jobs available now? A guy like Pete Carroll that was an NFL lifer lasted 8 years in college even though his name kept popping up.

Pete Carroll bombed out of the NFL and was a surprise hire at USC, so his success there wasn't expected at all. He'd probably still be there had he not fled town before the sanctions were handed down. Two different situations.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Trot_to_Trotsky posted:

Not that I'm going to pretend like I know what Harbaugh is going to do, or that anybody else truly knows, but these are signs pointing in the right direction, yes? Like if Harbaugh signed, would you still be legitimately surprised that he did so, and think that all of these rumors and rumblings were just static that had no impact on the final result?

I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't think it's particularly silly to see the NFL reporters as dismissive of anything that doesn't suggest their league is the destination for all human beings and several other sentient life forms.

There's a lot of information being thrown around, and just as much bullshit.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

C. Everett Koop posted:

Pete Carroll bombed out of the NFL and was a surprise hire at USC, so his success there wasn't expected at all. He'd probably still be there had he not fled town before the sanctions were handed down. Two different situations.

He didn't bomb out. Made the two playoffs twice with the Pats, won the AFC East his first year, and then got fired after missing the playoffs in year 3.

You're telling me that sounds much different from Jim Harbaugh?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Hearing that pending Harbaugh's decision, Jason Garrett to Michigan is pretty much a done deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Adun posted:

He didn't bomb out. Made the two playoffs twice with the Pats, won the AFC East his first year, and then got fired after missing the playoffs in year 3.

You're telling me that sounds much different from Jim Harbaugh?

Jim Harbaugh is the 5th winningest coach in NFL history, most winningest active, and the only coach to go to the conference championship game every year in his first three seasons. Carroll went 33-31 before he got fired, and made the playoffs once in 4 years, losing in the wild card round.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 22, 2014

• Locked thread