Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Alright goons, anyone got a decent meatloaf recipe that doesn't involve ketchup? We don't use/eat it at all, and I"d rather not have leftovers (or have it on my meatloaf).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I put a lot of effort into making a salted caramel cream cheese frosting but used baker's sugar instead of confectioner's sugar because I am the dumbest guy ever and thought they were the same thing. Now my frosting is grainy and not really usable for my purposes, but the flavor is great. Does anyone have any ideas for how I might repurpose a grainy mixture of 8oz cream cheese, 2 sticks of butter, and a bunch of sugar and caramel?

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Gothmog1065 posted:

Alright goons, anyone got a decent meatloaf recipe that doesn't involve ketchup? We don't use/eat it at all, and I"d rather not have leftovers (or have it on my meatloaf).

Here's what I use: http://norecipes.com/recipe/best-meatloaf-recipe/

I'm sure you could use like BBQ sauce or something instead of ketchup. It only calls for 3tbsp so you could probably leave it out, but it might make the glaze weird.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

posh spaz posted:

Here's what I use: http://norecipes.com/recipe/best-meatloaf-recipe/

I'm sure you could use like BBQ sauce or something instead of ketchup. It only calls for 3tbsp so you could probably leave it out, but it might make the glaze weird.

Oh my god that looks delicious. I can get most everything close to what they have (like using regular 5 year old paprika), and possibly not using fresh thyme, what would you suggest replacing the cheese with? I don't think anyone in this county, or most of this state for that matter, has even heard of Gruyere.

e: I finally found the chef's recommendations in the comments. Pretty much any "hard" cheese, being Parmesan or cheddar in this area.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 21, 2014

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Gothmog1065 posted:

Oh my god that looks delicious. I can get most everything close to what they have (like using regular 5 year old paprika), and possibly not using fresh thyme, what would you suggest replacing the cheese with? I don't think anyone in this county, or most of this state for that matter, has even heard of Gruyere.

e: I finally found the chef's recommendations in the comments. Pretty much any "hard" cheese, being Parmesan or cheddar in this area.

Gruyere is a kind of Swiss. You don't have Swiss cheese where you live?

IMO most kinds of cheddar are going to be too greasy. I'd probably use Romano or something sharper. Parmesan is kind of a mild flavor.

posh spaz fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 21, 2014

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Tacier posted:

I put a lot of effort into making a salted caramel cream cheese frosting but used baker's sugar instead of confectioner's sugar because I am the dumbest guy ever and thought they were the same thing. Now my frosting is grainy and not really usable for my purposes, but the flavor is great. Does anyone have any ideas for how I might repurpose a grainy mixture of 8oz cream cheese, 2 sticks of butter, and a bunch of sugar and caramel?

Cheesecake? A really buttery cheesecake...

You could try heating it up and/or adding some lemon juice to try and the get the sugar crystals to dissolve. I don't know what that would do to the rest of the ingredients though.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
What's the best way to get crispy skin out of confit duck legs?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was making a whipped cream cake frosting, and it was going great until I added some more cream I had brought to a simmer with saffron, let steep with a lid on the pan, and then chilled in the fridge. The frosting looked like it was starting to curdle, and there was liquid accumulating in the bottom of the bowl. What did I do wrong? I forgot, the cream did boil and froth a bit when I meant to just let it simmer.

Edit: the recipe was just whipping cream, sugar, rosewater, and then the pan of whipping cream and saffron.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 22, 2014

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The cream curdled. Sorry dog.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm a cooking idiot, I can barely make pasta. Was it the heat that curdled it then? When it boiled? I just plan on making that cake again when I get the chance, because I'm a fatty, and I want to do it right this time.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm a cooking idiot, I can barely make pasta. Was it the heat that curdled it then? When it boiled? I just plan on making that cake again when I get the chance, because I'm a fatty, and I want to do it right this time.

It was the heat. Next time use a double boiler, just place a small towel around the edge of a pot with an inch or so of water in it and put a steel bowl with the cream above and stir it to keep the saffron moving. It will take longer that way but it will infuse the saffron just fine and curdling will be basically impossible.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Tacier posted:

Try these maybe? I've never made them, but it might be worth a try.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Re: double boilers, you can also just use a second, slightly larger pot on top instead if you don't have a metal bowl. I did that a lot growing up to make fudge.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

posh spaz posted:

Gruyere is a kind of Swiss. You don't have Swiss cheese where you live?

IMO most kinds of cheddar are going to be too greasy. I'd probably use Romano or something sharper. Parmesan is kind of a mild flavor.

We ended up with cheddar. We do have swiss here, didn't know that, not up to date on my cheeses like I should have been.

It came out delicious. Used bbq sauce instead of ketchup, and we forgot a few ingredients in the loaf itself (Some milk and I am a goof and forgot the onions), but it's came out surprisingly well.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Looking for a good healthy+protein batch cookable meal for lunch. That isn't chilli con carne. Any recommended recipes?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pot-roast-recipe.html

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Disinterested posted:

Looking for a good healthy+protein batch cookable meal for lunch. That isn't chilli con carne. Any recommended recipes?

I do something like this on my Sunday cooking just to make up a quick batch of meat+ veggie that's low preparation.

Just some sausage made at my stores deli, run it 20m at 400F, take it out toss everything in the juices a bit and cook it another ~20m till the sprouts start to brown and crisp on the tops.

The other stuff is just some sprout halves roasted with a little bacon grease and some roasted broccoli salted and dashed with lemon juice and black pepper. I also did the same preparation with green beans and some sausages. Ended up doing all of this because the meat was very cheap that morning for groceries and the sprouts, broccoli and beans were all on sale and looked good as well.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
So many sprouts :stare:.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Disinterested posted:

Are you cook with eating pork?

Lifted this from some Jamie Oliver 15 minute meal thing. He called it Hungarian Goulash but don't call it that or people flip out since there's no noodles or hamburger.

Two bell peppers, whatever color you like
1 onion (white or yellow)

Put them in a pan with olive oil, salt+pepper and a good helping of paprika. Get some color on them.

From here you can do what I do, and dump a couple tbsp of Goya Sofrito in the pan and just let it cook down a little, or you can add tomato paste, a 1/4 cup of broth or water, garlic, a little diced carrot, whatever you want to make a sauce out of. Add a diced+seeded serrano/jalapeno, or a couple drops of habenero hot sauce.

Next get out some pork. Loinchops or slice tenderloin up, no shoulder (will take too long) or pork steaks (Too greasy). Season salt, pepper, and a good amount of coriander (the secret ingredient). Once they are cooked, serve the vegetables on top of white rice and put a pork medallion on top.

If you have more time you could do more vegetables, and a pork roast, and let it cook down big time so you've just got some slop to throw on the rice.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Bob Morales posted:

Lifted this from some Jamie Oliver 15 minute meal thing. He called it Hungarian Goulash but don't call it that or people flip out since there's no noodles or hamburger.

Unless you come from an area where "goulash" doesn't mean canned tomato soup, macaroni and ground beef. I'd use my actual goulash (looks good btw) as a teaching moment if people actually didn't know there is a Hungarian goulash.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'm going to be making a variation on these Parmesan shortbread rounds tonight. I'm planning on subbing out about half the butter for fat rendered from my homemade bacon. Given the parm, and the bacon fat adding salt, would you guys recommend I cut out the salt the recipe calls for entirely?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Doom Rooster posted:

I'm going to be making a variation on these Parmesan shortbread rounds tonight. I'm planning on subbing out about half the butter for fat rendered from my homemade bacon. Given the parm, and the bacon fat adding salt, would you guys recommend I cut out the salt the recipe calls for entirely?

Depends on how salty your homemade bacon was. Subbing for half the butter means you're using about eight tablespoons of bacon fat - do you think eight tbsp has a teaspoon worth of salt in it?

As the parm is going to add salt as well, I would personally omit the additional salt the recipe calls for.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is rendered bacon fat really that salty?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Every time I make a dish with bacon I assume it's not going to need extra salt

It always needs extra salt

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The bacon was a pretty salty batch. I guess I can hedge my bets, and just halve the required salt. Slightly oversalted shortbread is much more delicious than undersalted.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

The bacon was a pretty salty batch. I guess I can hedge my bets, and just halve the required salt. Slightly oversalted shortbread is much more delicious than undersalted.

If it comes out salty you just tell people it's Sea Salt Shortbread.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's more likely that you over whipped the cream until it separated into butter and buttermilk. If you're using a machine, stop it before it's where you want it and finish it by hand.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Can anyone suggest a decent brand of balsamic vinegar to use on salads? The place I shop has a huge selection ranging from $5 a bottle to hundreds of dollars for a few ounces. I'd like to stay in the $10-20 range if possible. My previous purchase was interesting... it was really aggressive with the vinegar and burned my lips when eaten with my salad. Wasn't really a fan.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

Can anyone suggest a decent brand of balsamic vinegar to use on salads? The place I shop has a huge selection ranging from $5 a bottle to hundreds of dollars for a few ounces. I'd like to stay in the $10-20 range if possible. My previous purchase was interesting... it was really aggressive with the vinegar and burned my lips when eaten with my salad. Wasn't really a fan.

You can cheat with cheap balsamic by reducing it and adding honey.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

posh spaz posted:

You can cheat with cheap balsamic by reducing it and adding honey.

Dude. You can sub cheap poo poo for lots of stuff, but it's still poo poo.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

katkillad2 posted:

True balsamic vinegars start around the US$20/8 oz bottle range. I like the Cavalli pretty well for the price, and you're likely to find it at upscale grocers. CI likes Lucini in the same price range; I don't.

A true balsamic vinegar won't have an aggressive acidic mouthfeel; if that's what you're getting, chances are it's a balsamic-flavoured refined white vinegar.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Casu Marzu posted:

Dude. You can sub cheap poo poo for lots of stuff, but it's still poo poo.

True, but restaurants do it all the time and I doubt anyone notices.

Anyway, the price range given was $10-20, and for that price you're going to have to cheat it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

SubG posted:

True balsamic vinegars start around the US$20/8 oz bottle range. I like the Cavalli pretty well for the price, and you're likely to find it at upscale grocers. CI likes Lucini in the same price range; I don't.

A true balsamic vinegar won't have an aggressive acidic mouthfeel; if that's what you're getting, chances are it's a balsamic-flavoured refined white vinegar.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give the Cavalli a try.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give the Cavalli a try.

Do you make a vinaigrette or are you just putting straight vinegar on a salad? Emulsifying the cheaper stuff in with oil can take the edge off.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

How are you making dressing?

Because if you haven't read this, you should

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/salad-dressings-vinaigrettes-the-food-lab.html

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Anybody have tips for cooking a lasagna in aluminum pans? I have seen some stuff like cook it lower longer, or double up on pans, but I wasn't sure what to believe. First time making a casserole, let alone in disposable pans that can throw off the cooking.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
When it comes to Korean red pepper powder, is there anything that determines the taste/heat, or are they all the same?

The only difference I see is the fineness of the grind; the ones sold in my area have no translation outside of the nutrition sticker.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mister Macys posted:

When it comes to Korean red pepper powder, is there anything that determines the taste/heat, or are they all the same?

The only difference I see is the fineness of the grind; the ones sold in my area have no translation outside of the nutrition sticker.
It's extra hot if it says 매운 (but not 덜매운, which is milder). Otherwise while there will be differences due to brand differences, freshness, and so on, gochugaru is basically gochugaru. The different sizes have different uses---various kinds of kimchi, general cooking, and so on. The fine stuff is generally used for gochujang and other saucing.

Broadly speaking if a recipe calls for Korean red pepper flakes, then pretty much any bag of gochugaru will work. Someone's Korean grandmother might correct you that this particular kind is only used for summer kimchi and this other one should only be used with radishes or whatever, but if you're at the level where you're asking about it on the internet it's definitely not something you should be losing sleep over.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Looks like I have extra hot. v:v:v

Note to self: Do not shake a bottle of shrimp sauce that requires a bottle opener to unseal. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I'm making a "Turchetta" type thing (butterflied turkey breast rolled up and trussed) for Christmas dinner. Since I left shopping until the last minute, I couldn't find whole turkey breasts, and ended up buying boneless/skinless breasts instead.

Having never cooked a large chunk of bird without skin, should I be worried about it drying out and being gross? I would toss some bacon on it, but I have "bird and fish only" people in the family.

Thoughts?