Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Does anybody else not get notifications when Inbox receives a new message? I wanna like the app, but I never get notified when a message comes in if its not in my main box. I have everything set to notify me when each new message comes in, but I still don't get anything, which kinda defeats the purpose of an email app, if you know what I mean.

Mainly just curious if I missed a setting or if this is just a bad bug with Inbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pulp rag posted:

Does anybody else not get notifications when Inbox receives a new message? I wanna like the app, but I never get notified when a message comes in if its not in my main box. I have everything set to notify me when each new message comes in, but I still don't get anything, which kinda defeats the purpose of an email app, if you know what I mean.

Mainly just curious if I missed a setting or if this is just a bad bug with Inbox.

It's a setting in the app, you can set notification for each bundle individually.

E: it isn't particularly well hidden, Settings > Your Email > Label settings and notifications.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

It's a setting in the app, you can set notification for each bundle individually.

E: it isn't particularly well hidden, Settings > Your Email > Label settings and notifications.

Yeah, I've already got all those set, but it doesn't notify me. Like, today I woke up with an email sitting in my Promotions tab with no notification. It's really weird.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pulp rag posted:

Yeah, I've already got all those set, but it doesn't notify me. Like, today I woke up with an email sitting in my Promotions tab with no notification. It's really weird.

Is it set to only notify once daily? Alternatively you could be quashing them if they're not being allowed as priority notifications.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Is it set to only notify once daily? Alternatively you could be quashing them if they're not being allowed as priority notifications.

Nope, set to notify with each new message. Could bundling it into the main Inbox be doing it?

e: Never mind. That option makes it so I'm never notified.

pulp rag fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 21, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The lack of notification on most emails has actually been quite liberating for me. I'm only really notified when it's not some random thing I don't have to be aware of or react to. When I open it up and see a bunch of useless emails I thank inbox for not making me bother.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TraderStav posted:

The lack of notification on most emails has actually been quite liberating for me. I'm only really notified when it's not some random thing I don't have to be aware of or react to. When I open it up and see a bunch of useless emails I thank inbox for not making me bother.

This is kind of how I see it - I don't need to know about every email right away but I am compelled to look at and action the mail notification when it appears. Inbox tackles that problem by shunting the half-step-above-junk-mail stuff into bundles quietly and only letting me know about the important stuff that goes into the main inbox (stuff sent personally by people I know, as well as the occasional verification or password reset thing, it's learned well) so I can just zip through the promo stuff, glance at the headers, and pin any interesting stuff for later - gift ideas this time of year, any interesting news, etc.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Doesn't gmail with its "promotional" etc folders do the same thing?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wadjamaloo posted:

Doesn't gmail with its "promotional" etc folders do the same thing?

It doesn't have an "archive all the poo poo in here which isn't starred/pinned" function to go with those tabs, and Inbox is way more focused on the sorting aspect with bundles whereas Gmail is like "eh, we got these tabs."

Inbox also allows custom bundles. I imagine you could do nearly everything in desktop browser Gmail that Inbox does, except it's built into Inbox and that makes all the difference on mobile.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I wanted a good music application, or that you convince me that those 60MB of memory that google play takes while idling isn't that big of a deal. I have a huge library that I could be uploading to google play but I really don't like apps that stay on the background even after I force stopped them, and I think I got some performance out of disabling google play entirely.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You wouldn't believe how much is going on in the background with apps. They ain't sitting there in storage waiting hopefully for you to click on them, they're up to all kinds of system shenanigans

Just use it! You don't know what's going on in there, be free and upload your music and enjoy yourself

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

program666 posted:

I wanted a good music application, or that you convince me that those 60MB of memory that google play takes while idling isn't that big of a deal. I have a huge library that I could be uploading to google play but I really don't like apps that stay on the background even after I force stopped them, and I think I got some performance out of disabling google play entirely.

Zen is not giving a poo poo about memory usage on your android device*

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

program666 posted:

Stop force killing apps. Android is good at multitasking. You aren't.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

program666 posted:

Memory unused is memory wasted. You aren't smarter than the OS, do not attempt to manage memory better than it can.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

OK, I will give google play another try. Another thing that I don't really like about it is that I seemingly just orders all my library by music name. I'm guessing the most """""practical""""" way to deal with that is uploading the whole thing to my butt then download on my phone right?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

program666 posted:

OK, I will give google play another try. Another thing that I don't really like about it is that I seemingly just orders all my library by music name. I'm guessing the most """""practical""""" way to deal with that is uploading the whole thing to my butt then download on my phone right?

What? You can view your library sorted by track, artist, or album, just like any other music player.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Sorry, I meant it orders each album by music name instead of track order. That's probably because I just copied it over since the album I bought from the play store has the correct track order.
I though that maybe it was downloading meta data and would eventually fix itself but it never happened.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

program666 posted:

Sorry, I meant it orders each album by music name instead of track order. That's probably because I just copied it over since the album I bought from the play store has the correct track order.
I though that maybe it was downloading meta data and would eventually fix itself but it never happened.
Does your uploaded music have good metadata? If not you may need to fix it either on the site or by deleting and reuploading once you have it straightened out locally.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Does your uploaded music have good metadata? If not you may need to fix it either on the site or by deleting and reuploading once you have it straightened out locally.

I didn't upload anything yet, I only copied my library to my sd card with the file browser on windows. most albums I have order just right in every music player, and I've gone through thousands, amarok, banshee, mpd. But it's hilarious to know that even uploading stuff to the cloud might not work.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

program666 posted:

A phone isn't a computer. You shouldn't even be worrying about that.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Memory unused is memory wasted. You aren't smarter than the OS, do not attempt to manage memory better than it can.

This gets repeated so much in this thread, but it's just not making any sense to me. My Note3 gets bogged down from time to time and killing apps is always an instant fix. :confused:

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

AnimalChin posted:

This gets repeated so much in this thread, but it's just not making any sense to me. My Note3 gets bogged down from time to time and killing apps is always an instant fix. :confused:

I have to restart my LG G3 daily because it becomes unresponsive. It fails to wake up, or once awoken won't register icon presses. I don't think the android memory manager lives up to it's marketing. You shouldn't have to janitor your running processes, but there's a long list of things you shouldn't have to do but still have to do. My favorite is the 9 times out of 10 I can't answer a call, swipe, no, swipe, no, swipe, no, swipe, no, now why is my phone so hot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

It's almost like Samsung isn't good at software or something. It's as though they broke Android memory management behavior through modifications to the underlying OS, then, once confronted with the consequences of replacing something that worked with something that doesn't combined with their inability to write anything resembling working code, decided to put a "clear memory" button on their devices and place the onus of managing the basest of system-level operations into the hands of the user.

But that can't be what they've done because if any of that were true it would be irrefutable evidence that Samsung is horrible at what they do and anyone who buys one does so out of ignorance or stupidity.

Edit: LG too, apparently :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The only time I ever have anything resembling memory scarcity is when I am viewing a website that is clearly not agreeing with Chrome. I will kill the tab and back out of Chrome, which is as close as I get to force-killing an app. Then again I'm using a Nexus 5 and aren't burdened by Touchwhiz or Sense and the like.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

AnimalChin posted:

That's rarely, if ever a memory management issue, is the thing. If an app is sitting in memory using up 50 mb, closing it isn't going to do anything at all but waste battery. The problem you might be fixing in that case is a poorly coded app keeping your phone awake and using tons of cpu cycles, and if you're on android 5.x you can see if that will help on the battery stats screen.

edit: or maybe I haven't used a Samsung device in 2 years, and that one was running CM, so my experiences don't count!

egg tats fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 22, 2014

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008
Any recommendations for twitter apps?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My moto devices usually have uptimes of "however long it's been since the last update." I also never swipe away apps in the recent menu.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

program666 posted:

I didn't upload anything yet, I only copied my library to my sd card with the file browser on windows. most albums I have order just right in every music player, and I've gone through thousands, amarok, banshee, mpd. But it's hilarious to know that even uploading stuff to the cloud might not work.

It'll work if you fix the metadata on it. Your thousands of music players are probably going by filename and directory structure, so if you have Now_Thats_What_I_Call_Music_102/CD_1/01_Lou_Bega_Mambo_No_5_BESTRIPZ_.ogg then they'll go with that if there's no other information or if you have it set up that way.

That's not how any modern system works, you tag things with data like Artist, Album, Year or whatever and then the library will use all that to group things however you want, so if you want a Celine Dion mix (including her rare collaborations with Merzbow) you can just do that and let the music player handle identifying all the songs she's tagged in. Your best bet is getting something like MP3Tag and sitting down with a drink and just fixing them in bulk. Once it's done it's done, and if you're already pretty organised that's half the work done!

Only thing to worry about with Google's system is it's real picky about formatting, so make sure any tags that are meant to match are exactly the same, caps and all

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hotzenplotz posted:

Fenix. I've tried most all of them and keep coming back to it. I was a Falcon Pro holdout for a long time, but Fenix is just a better app (that's more actively developed). I think the next closest one I'd recommend is TwittNuker, which I've never seen mentioned in here, but I messed with for a little bit last week and liked it (not enough to move away from Fenix though).

program666
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

It'll work if you fix the metadata on it. Your thousands of music players are probably going by filename and directory structure, so if you have Now_Thats_What_I_Call_Music_102/CD_1/01_Lou_Bega_Mambo_No_5_BESTRIPZ_.ogg then they'll go with that if there's no other information or if you have it set up that way.

That's not how any modern system works, you tag things with data like Artist, Album, Year or whatever and then the library will use all that to group things however you want, so if you want a Celine Dion mix (including her rare collaborations with Merzbow) you can just do that and let the music player handle identifying all the songs she's tagged in. Your best bet is getting something like MP3Tag and sitting down with a drink and just fixing them in bulk. Once it's done it's done, and if you're already pretty organised that's half the work done!

Only thing to worry about with Google's system is it's real picky about formatting, so make sure any tags that are meant to match are exactly the same, caps and all
I know how to use some tagging apps on bash and all but I still think it would be indefinitely easier to use another music player, specially if it's one that I can order songs by filename and/or directory, specially considering I'm constantly acquiring new albums. I guess everyone here just uses google play which is a bummer.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Hotzenplotz posted:

I like Fenix.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hotzenplotz posted:

I use Plume and my only complaint is that it sometimes starts at the most recent tweet, rather than the last one you actually saw. Come to think of it, though, it hasn't done that in a while. However, I only read tweets, so that may factor into my judgement of the app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

program666 posted:

I know how to use some tagging apps on bash and all but I still think it would be indefinitely easier to use another music player, specially if it's one that I can order songs by filename and/or directory, specially considering I'm constantly acquiring new albums. I guess everyone here just uses google play which is a bummer.
This isn't directed at you so much as a general observation but I find it crazy that there are people without clean metadata in 2014. I mean iPods have been around for a decade, who didn't just go through their Napster-downloaded poo poo and clean their tags in iTunes then just make sure every time they imported something new just take the 90 seconds to highlight everything and clean up the metadata?

It's literally the difference between everything working perfectly all the time and nothing ever working the way you'd expect.

Even weirder to me is that now having a local music collection is kind of niche so you'd think that those who have one would be the ones most likely to care about good metadata but if anything it seems like it's the opposite. My pet theory is that it's because these people were too into tag janitoring that they never let iTunes manage their music so now a decade after everyone else has perfect tag data they're still micromanaging folders and poo poo because they don't realize this has been a solved problem for a long time now.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Even weirder to me is that now having a local music collection is kind of niche so you'd think that those who have one would be the ones most likely to care about good metadata but if anything it seems like it's the opposite. My pet theory is that it's because these people were too into tag janitoring that they never let iTunes manage their music so now a decade after everyone else has perfect tag data they're still micromanaging folders and poo poo because they don't realize this has been a solved problem for a long time now.
It's because it just works on my pc and my old phone.

Edit: But I don't blame google for plain ignoring the old metadata stuff on those files, I read about it and it seems like it was a loving mess.

program666 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 22, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

program666 posted:

It's because it just works on my pc and my old phone.

Edit: But I don't blame google for plain ignoring the old metadata stuff on those files, I read about it and it seems like it was a loving mess.
Dumb question but if it worked on your old phone the way you wanted, why not use whatever you were using then?

Like I said though it isn't just you. I've seen this many many times before and it's very common for people to ask for an app that reads folder structure in this very thread. I just can't imagine caring that much about having music while at the same time not caring that the tag data on the collection is a clusterfuck. It seems to me like either you really care about both having your music and having their metadata be accurate or you don't care at all about your music or how it's tagged. The thing I find weird is that there are people who really, really want local music but really, really don't want to properly tag their stuff.

I think this is a situation where I'm confused by people in general, not you specifically.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Dumb question but if it worked on your old phone the way you wanted, why not use whatever you were using then?

Like I said though it isn't just you. I've seen this many many times before and it's very common for people to ask for an app that reads folder structure in this very thread. I just can't imagine caring that much about having music while at the same time not caring that the tag data on the collection is a clusterfuck. It seems to me like either you really care about both having your music and having their metadata be accurate or you don't care at all about your music or how it's tagged. The thing I find weird is that there are people who really, really want local music but really, really don't want to properly tag their stuff.

I think this is a situation where I'm confused by people in general, not you specifically.

dude, the old metadata works on most players still, I have like 3 albums out of 1000 that I have to order using directory. On the google player none of them are ordered correctly.
My old phone didn't have a way to order using directory structure either but it's just 3 loving albums so I did playlists for them.
The phone that I used until 2 months ago was a nokia C3-00 and I used the internal player that comes with it no I guess there is no android version of it (but maybe there's winpho version XD)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

At some point in this thread I saw PowerAmp recommended for its ability to browse by folder and many other times for being the most feature rich music player.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It was so liberating when I deleted all my music a few years ago and switched to streaming services.

It might not be for everyone, but everyone should give it serious thought.

No worrying about folders, metadata, syncing, downloading, ripping.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I live in brazil, my internet is not that reliable

edit: also if there are ads I just won't use it, but I guess we have adless services now at least.

program666 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

program666 posted:

dude, the old metadata works on most players still, I have like 3 albums out of 1000 that I have to order using directory. On the google player none of them are ordered correctly.
My old phone didn't have a way to order using directory structure either but it's just 3 loving albums so I did playlists for them.
The phone that I used until 2 months ago was a nokia C3-00 and I used the internal player that comes with it no I guess there is no android version of it (but maybe there's winpho version XD)

easytag is a good gnu tagger. it can convert old tags to the current if everything else is good. It can also scan based on file structure to pull names if you have a strict naming convention.
Otherwise, grab poweramp. It can play based on folders.

I retag everything I have on my computer to make sure its in the format I like, and I still prefer to have a nice folder structure. I figure its holding onto the past, but I hate the idea of only using meta tags. The only thing I have issues with on my stuff is the album art. For some reason when I add it to the tags, it only works most of the time. I can't figure out why the ones that dont show album art don't work. Also don't care quite enough to look into it.

• Locked thread