Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

ShadowMoo posted:

What's better, SPERG or SXP?

They both do completely different things. SXP changes the skill system to an experience one and SPERG just changes the perks and what they do. I'm running both.

You just need to go into your uncapper and make it so that nothing contributes to skill gain and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

ShadowMoo posted:

What's better, SPERG or SXP?

SPERG is always and forever going to be the universal favorite around here because:
1. It's awesome. The redone perks are amazing and creative, and almost universally useful to some build or another. It makes the "what perk to take" decision far more agonizing and I love it for this.
2. It's highly compatible, making it easy to fit into your other mods.
3. It's goon-made, and therefore automatically superior to everything ever because of our undying loyalty to a $10 paywalled internet comedy forum.

[edit]Seeing what SXP does, it looks like it's does completely different poo poo anyway. You might be able to roll with both.
[edit2] What the poster above me said.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Man, is there still seriously no summon/unsummon mod for Shadowmere? :argh:

Also I kinda like Savior's Hide on my Breton, but it's just... iunno.

Kinda lame?

Well this is awkward.

Meanwhile, the ebony mage robe I run around in is pretty nice.

Jaaaaarl, she's being weird again, I don't wanna be her housecarl!

Where will you be when the skooma kicks in? :catdrugs:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Man, is there still seriously no summon/unsummon mod for Shadowmere?
I made a lesser power that moves Shadowmere in front of you with the VFX that plays when Shadowmere is first given to you. If you can't find a better mod for that, I can upload it for you to mess around with.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 20, 2014

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I've been using the mod Convenient Horses, it adds a power that lets you whistle for your horse, plus it has all kinds of other options, what saddle your horse uses, health and speed boosts, whether they run from combat, and it gives your followers horses. Can't imagine playing without it now.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Putting in SPERG, SXP, RND, and others made skyrim like it should have been originally. Vanilla is kinda boring as hell once you go hogwild with modding.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
That last few pages talking about naked children SPERG convinced me to test it out. My current play through has gotten a bit grindy so I think I'll send this guy to Familiar Faces and start over the right way.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Using Enhanced lights and FX, when you look at something bright like a fire it will blind you for a second and turn your vision black, this is a bit annoying and strains the eyes a bit, is there a way to disable that?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

So, I'd like to see if I can get some help with Lootification for something. Maybe Agents Are Go! or LtSmash can help me figure this out. Its about weird names for items generated by Lootification names like this:

ElvenElven Katana of the x
Eastern Glass BowBow of x
ElvenKnight's Greatsword of x
Long Hunting SwordSword of the x
ElvenBaskethilt Sword of x
Chitin Heavy GaunletsBracers of Wielding
Bonemold ArmorArmor of x

I have plenty more where those came from. Whats going on here ?

Here is an image of TES5Edit looking at one of these interesting items. Anyone have any clue whats going on and if I can do anything to fix it. Something that I configured wrong ?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tzarnal posted:

So, I'd like to see if I can get some help with Lootification for something. Maybe Agents Are Go! or LtSmash can help me figure this out. Its about weird names for items generated by Lootification names like this:

ElvenElven Katana of the x
Eastern Glass BowBow of x
ElvenKnight's Greatsword of x
Long Hunting SwordSword of the x
ElvenBaskethilt Sword of x
Chitin Heavy GaunletsBracers of Wielding
Bonemold ArmorArmor of x

I have plenty more where those came from. Whats going on here ?

Here is an image of TES5Edit looking at one of these interesting items. Anyone have any clue whats going on and if I can do anything to fix it. Something that I configured wrong ?

Your lootification has been taken over by the Moai from Night at the Museum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtNVbPpZ5C4

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
yo i just got this game again on PC; played like 10 hours or so on X360 when it came out. Tell me which mods to get for a vanilla++ run please, goons! I like convience mods, bugfixes, additions to skills/perks, etc

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Samopsa posted:

yo i just got this game again on PC; played like 10 hours or so on X360 when it came out. Tell me which mods to get for a vanilla++ run please, goons! I like convience mods, bugfixes, additions to skills/perks, etc

Read the second post of the OP :ssh: It'll give you a list of recommended mods for a first time mostly vanilla run through.

DON'T bother with major gameplay overhauls until after you experience vanilla a while.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I just noticed that list, derp. That's a hell of an OP.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
swordswords sound pretty overpowered. imagine dual wielding them, that's like 4 swords right there

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
is there a mod that makes the towns look different? I wanted to enjoy this game but everywhere has the same color palette and it just felt like I was walking around the same place regardless of the architecture. hell, even just changing the color of the roofs for each town or something would help!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 21, 2014

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Colon Semicolon posted:

is there a mod that makes the towns look different? I wanted to enjoy this game but everywhere has the same color palette and it just felt like I was walking around the same place regardless of the architecture. hell, even just changing the color of the roofs for each town or something would help!

Not exactly color changing, but try the JK and Dawn of mods. They do a really good job of livening up the cities. As for villages and small towns, go for Enhanced Towns and Villages.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I tried out Skyrim Radioactive a little bit (just roaming around in Solitude so I didn't see the other edits) and while I did think the changes it makes were attractive and atmospheric, there were just too many loose items bouncing around. I was having to lock everything in place with Jaxonz's Positioner as soon as I entered an interior that had been altered and still ended up with stuff that had fallen over and moved around before it could get locked down. I'm also not 100% sure it was the cause but after I installed it I started getting a lot of instability in places I hadn't seen any previously. Nice idea, but overall it is not polished and stable enough for me to feel comfortable using it.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Not exactly color changing, but try the JK and Dawn of mods. They do a really good job of livening up the cities. As for villages and small towns, go for Enhanced Towns and Villages.

JK has recently added two mods for smaller towns. Theres one for Ivarstead and Rorikstead(put up yesterday, I think). So if you like the JK mod series, check them out.

After my last playthrough collapsed into endless CTDs, I've spent the last week completely overhauling my setup from the ground up. Relocated my Steam install to outside the Program Files, Enabled the SKSE memory patch, configured ENBoost, Installed Project Optimization, cleaned the mods(except where the author specifically says not to)and double checked every mod's description page on the Nexus for compatibility issues. So hopefully it'll be more stable this time around.

A few questions before I run the Skyproc patchers and boot up:

1: I'm using Unlimited Bookshelves, but apparently the author got banned and no longer supports the mod. Are there any good alternatives that are still supported, or will UB still work fine?

2: Will 2 gigs of dedicated vram(4 total) be enough to handle things? The more graphically intensive mods I'm using are the Book of Silence, ELFX, the JK cities, SMIM, and Falskaar/Wyrmstooth.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

What textures are you using for BoS? The full on 4k/2k/1k or toned down versions?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there a good mod out there that makes NPCs less chatty? I'm just trying to make some potions and the shopkeep has to remind me every five seconds that she has poultices and tonics for anything that ails me.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Scyantific posted:

What textures are you using for BoS? The full on 4k/2k/1k or toned down versions?

I downloaded the packs with MO from the Nexus page:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24909/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D24909&pUp=1

I didn't see any options for different resolutions, so whatever the default is. If there are toned down versions, I'd be happy to go with those. I would value fewer CTDs from running out of memory more than being able to see every detail of an armor's codpiece.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Is there a good mod out there that makes NPCs less chatty? I'm just trying to make some potions and the shopkeep has to remind me every five seconds that she has poultices and tonics for anything that ails me.

No NPC Greetings

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thanks. Hopefully that also fixes the problem with random NPCs barging into my house because I zoned in mid-sentence.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fister Roboto posted:

Thanks. Hopefully that also fixes the problem with random NPCs barging into my house because I zoned in mid-sentence.

I seem to have gotten a bug with a breezehome mod that adds a balcony-some NPCs just wander in and head up there once in a while, for no reason whatsoever. So now there's a stash of corpses in my basement. STAND YOUR GROUND.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Canemacar posted:

I downloaded the packs with MO from the Nexus page:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24909/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D24909&pUp=1

I didn't see any options for different resolutions, so whatever the default is. If there are toned down versions, I'd be happy to go with those. I would value fewer CTDs from running out of memory more than being able to see every detail of an armor's codpiece.

Honestly depends on how much time you're willing to spend downloading each individual texture pack since there's a lot of them. IIRC the BoS pack is standard 2k chest piece 1k arms/weapons/shield/legs so you should be safe.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

I tried out Skyrim Radioactive a little bit (just roaming around in Solitude so I didn't see the other edits) and while I did think the changes it makes were attractive and atmospheric, there were just too many loose items bouncing around. I was having to lock everything in place with Jaxonz's Positioner as soon as I entered an interior that had been altered and still ended up with stuff that had fallen over and moved around before it could get locked down. I'm also not 100% sure it was the cause but after I installed it I started getting a lot of instability in places I hadn't seen any previously. Nice idea, but overall it is not polished and stable enough for me to feel comfortable using it.

The interiors look very nice, but when I went into the Hag's Cure, it looked like there was a small sun inside and everything was glowing from massive bloom, if I find any other bugs I'll likely stop using it.

edit: This seems to of cleared up later.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 22, 2014

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Honestly depends on how much time you're willing to spend downloading each individual texture pack since there's a lot of them. IIRC the BoS pack is standard 2k chest piece 1k arms/weapons/shield/legs so you should be safe.

Ok, good to know. Thanks. I'll probably download a couple smaller ones for armor sets I don't plan to use myself. Why waste vram on NPCs?

Anyone know a good guide on bashing with Wrye Bash? I've done it before, but I want to make certain I'm not screwing things up. I have a couple mods that show up with an orange tick box. The guide says it has to do with master files not in the correct order, but I don't know if it takes into account custom changes to my load order. I'm also wondering what mods are best to leave unbashed.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Either use just a TES5Edit merged patch, or a Bashed Patch and a TES5Edit merged patch. Don't rely solely on a bashed patch.

Edit: I supposed I should expand on why. Wrye Bash is much diminished from the Oblivion-engine days. It handles very few types of records in Skyrim, although it handles what it does do a bit better than a Merged Patch, especially leveled lists. However, a merged patch will fix more types of conflicts than a bashed patch, just not as intelligently.

Edit the Second: Your Bashed/Merged patch should be basically the last thing in your load order, except for SkyProc created patches. Everything should be subject to it, don't leave anything unbashed/merged.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 22, 2014

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Phetz posted:

Did you run it through LOOT? Not that it would mess with EFF necessarily but it looks like your unofficial patches aren't in the right order. What version of EFF are you using?

A while ago but thanks, didn't know about LOOT. After messing around I've found out it was the immersive armors addon and weaponsarmorfixes_immersiveweapons that didn't play nice with both requiem and EFF installed for but fine with only one of them.

Since then I've also installed frostfall and iNeed to further increase the difficulty. Really enjoying the de-leveled approach requiem takes. Have gone from being killed by wolves mudcrabs to being able to kill a few bandits if i plan my attack right.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Either use just a TES5Edit merged patch, or a Bashed Patch and a TES5Edit merged patch. Don't rely solely on a bashed patch.

Thanks. I wasn't sure what the practical difference between the two was.

So, a quick question about vram, performance, and memory. Dxdiag says my graphics card has 2 gigs of dedicated memory, with 4 available total. I have 8 gigs of ram aside from that. I ran a quick test with Skyrim Performance Monitor. Nothing major, just grabbed a follower and ran from the gates of Whiterun to Dragonsreach. According to the logs, I was using over half my dedicated vram before I teleported to Whiterun, and in the run up to Dragonsreach, I smacked right up against my 2 gigs.

Have I seriously overloaded my system? I've been hearing conflicting answers. One answer said that it was just the game filling up the vram and drawing on my other 8 gigs and is nothing to worry about. Another said that if you go over the vram cap, it causes CTDs. I haven't been experiencing any real lag(except when looking at the whole city at once from the top of the stairs), but I'm wondering if that was what contributed to the frequent CTDs in my previous playthrough.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Are you using ENBoost and the SKSE Memory Configuration?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Are you using ENBoost and the SKSE Memory Configuration?

Yeah. I followed the stability guide found here:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50244/

Only thing I've changed from their settings are "AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false" which I set to true.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Canemacar posted:

Yeah. I followed the stability guide found here:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50244/

Only thing I've changed from their settings are "AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false" which I set to true.

Annnnd there's a reason every guide out there tells you to set it to false and calculate what you need to put in yourself: ENBoost is really bad at autodetecting it which can lead to slower performance and instability.

(Also you really shouldn't be running 4K texture packs on a 750. Try the 2K versions. I'm running a 760 and 2K everything is about as high as I go, barring a few single-weapon/armor mods. poo poo still looks great.)

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 22, 2014

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Naturally Selected posted:

Annnnd there's a reason every guide out there tells you to set it to false and calculate what you need to put in yourself: ENBoost is really bad at autodetecting it which can lead to slower performance and instability.

I set it to auto-detect because I wasn't sure if I should set it to 2000 MBs(my dedicated vram), or 4000(total available to graphics card according to Dxdiag). I'll correct it.

(Also you really shouldn't be running 4K texture packs on a 750. Try the 2K versions. I'm running a 760 and 2K everything is about as high as I go, barring a few single-weapon/armor mods. poo poo still looks great.)

I think that would be a good idea. I'm probably going to strip out all the Book of Silence textures except for eleven armor(because vanilla looks like poo poo), and a iron, steel, skyforge, and dragonbone weapons.

If Skyrim auto-detects my hardware and selects Ultra-High quality, could I get rid of the Hi-res DLCs without a significant downgrade in the look of the world? I'm wondering how much ram I'd save without.

Also, SMIM sounds nice, but how big an impact could it be having on my system? Same question for ELFX.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Canemacar posted:

I set it to auto-detect because I wasn't sure if I should set it to 2000 MBs(my dedicated vram), or 4000(total available to graphics card according to Dxdiag). I'll correct it.

I think that would be a good idea. I'm probably going to strip out all the Book of Silence textures except for eleven armor(because vanilla looks like poo poo), and a iron, steel, skyforge, and dragonbone weapons.

If Skyrim auto-detects my hardware and selects Ultra-High quality, could I get rid of the Hi-res DLCs without a significant downgrade in the look of the world? I'm wondering how much ram I'd save without.

Also, SMIM sounds nice, but how big an impact could it be having on my system? Same question for ELFX.

Just get the BoS 2K textures for everything. They're not just upscales but actual redesigns, so everything looks tons better.

Don't disable hi-res DLCs. Skyrim will look like utter poo poo. (the original textures for everything are something laughable like 512 or even 256 for some. It's 2006-level poo poo). You should disable AA/AF/FXAA in the launcher if you're running ENB/ENBoost, since you can get better AF and SMAA off of ENB if you just enable them from the clean version.

SMIM/ELFX don't really cause a noticeable impact in my experience-SMIM mostly fixes meshes without adding too much extra complexity, and doesn't affect textures (the biggest memory hogs), and ELFX just changes the shaders. At least, in my experience-760 here, and ELFX/SMIM do exactly dick to my FPS.

E: The formula that's used for memory size by almost everyone is VRAM+RAM-2048. And remember that 1GB=1024MB, not 1000.

Thinking about it a bit more, I'd even go so far as to say that you should downgrade the armor/npc textures before you downgrade terrain/architecture textures. You won't see enemy armors too much, but you'll be seeing the horrendous environment textures every second you're playing. Although I mostly play in first person so it might be different if you're always in third.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 22, 2014

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
So in MO, there are flags (what looks more like brooms tho) attached to High Res texture pack and the unofficial patch, as well as the brawls bugs fix.
Do I need to be concerned about this or?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Simple Simon posted:

So in MO, there are flags (what looks more like brooms tho) attached to High Res texture pack and the unofficial patch, as well as the brawls bugs fix.
Do I need to be concerned about this or?

This indicates that the ESPs only exist to link to some other set of assets, and in MO you can disable the ESPs but still use the assets. Basically it's just saying you can cut down on the number of plugins you load.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"

GunnerJ posted:

This indicates that the ESPs only exist to link to some other set of assets, and in MO you can disable the ESPs but still use the assets. Basically it's just saying you can cut down on the number of plugins you load.

So that means I can extract those BSAs or that I can uncheck them in the right pane?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Simple Simon posted:

So that means I can extract those BSAs or that I can uncheck them in the right pane?

IIRC, Mod Organizer treats assets in BSAs and loose files all the same (as if they were loose files), and so they are loaded in same order as the mods in the left pane (which sort of simulates "install order" for that purpose). All you have to do is uncheck the ESP in the right pane. As long as the actual mods themselves are checked in the left pane it should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Just get the BoS 2K textures for everything. They're not just upscales but actual redesigns, so everything looks tons better.

Awesome. The redesigns were what got me to download BoS in the first place.

Don't disable hi-res DLCs. Skyrim will look like utter poo poo. (the original textures for everything are something laughable like 512 or even 256 for some. It's 2006-level poo poo). You should disable AA/AF/FXAA in the launcher if you're running ENB/ENBoost, since you can get better AF and SMAA off of ENB if you just enable them from the clean version.

So if I'm launching through SKSE using Mod Organizer, where would I make those changes? I'm guessing in the SkyrimPrefs.ini file linked to the MO profile I'm using?

SMIM/ELFX don't really cause a noticeable impact in my experience-SMIM mostly fixes meshes without adding too much extra complexity, and doesn't affect textures (the biggest memory hogs), and ELFX just changes the shaders. At least, in my experience-760 here, and ELFX/SMIM do exactly dick to my FPS.

Thats good to hear, I'm loving the atmosphere ELFX brings to the game. Dragonsreach especially looks amazing, and the dungeons actually look menacing. My first run through Bleak Falls Barrow with it was really slow and tense whereas in vanilla I'd sprint through the whole thing in just a couple minutes.

E: The formula that's used for memory size by almost everyone is VRAM+RAM-2048. And remember that 1GB=1024MB, not 1000.

So that'd be my 2048MB of dedicated RAM + 2048MB of shared memory - 2048MB, leaving me with the 2048MB of the card itself. Correct?

Thinking about it a bit more, I'd even go so far as to say that you should downgrade the armor/npc textures before you downgrade terrain/architecture textures. You won't see enemy armors too much, but you'll be seeing the horrendous environment textures every second you're playing. Although I mostly play in first person so it might be different if you're always in third.

I like to switch to third-person from time to time, for playing dress-up and screenshots, but the majority of my playtime is in first-person. For that reason, I'll see if I can get away with the higher res weapons since they're always right in your face, but the armors can be downgraded for sure. Looking over things, I've been running a 4K hair texture replacer and I can see no difference between it and the 2K version, so that can definitely go. I'm going to check every mod that makes a graphical change for resolution options.

Hopefully, trimming things down like this will allow me to keep my city overhaul mods. According to the performance log, under the heaviest load, it was pulling just under a gig from the shared memory. They look awesome and add a lot of character to the cities. I especially like the Skyforge in JK's Whiterun. In vanilla it always bugged me how barren that area looked.

Canemacar fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 23, 2014

• Locked thread