Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
legit dont get why they dont speed up mining

like, ive never heard anyone say that they wish mining could be more tedious

thats not the fun part of any game, not even minecraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Eonwe posted:

Yeah the only part of it that's really "fun" at all is when you're digging out a space to build something in, and that's not really enhanced by it taking forever to do.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ernie Muppari posted:

Yeah the only part of it that's really "fun" at all is when you're digging out a space to build something in, and that's not really enhanced by it taking forever to do.

Yep, Making it faster from the get-go, but upgradable to insane planet-devouring speeds would be best. I want to strip mine planets into god drat husks using gigantic mining rigs.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I just went through the "Unkillable Boss" mine dungeon. As others have said it's significantly toned down. I was in full steel armor, with a tar spear I found that had the same DPS range as craftable steel weapons. (i.e. mid-range damage weapon, axes & hammers do the most per-hit I think so they're the best for the current broken system)

Those hammer guys no longer one shot you. They just barely kill you in three hits now, much more similar to a normal enemy. That was with zero buffs, though; if you had any regen, you should be able to take four hits without dying. It took me maybe 8 or 10 hits to kill them, sorry, didn't keep track. Still, they're pretty deadly and you wouldn't want to fight more than one at a time.

I fought them all without the NPC's help. Their hammer attack is extremely slow, and with the dash tech I had it was easy to dodge it almost every time. Occasionally I would get hit but then I slowed the enemy with a tarball and healed with a bandage. I'd bet their hammers are slow enough that you could dodge even without the dash if you were really careful, but it'd be a lot riskier.

The pink guys were pretty easy, I just danced around 'em since they're easy to dodge and only took three hits. They would have killed me in maybe 6-7 hits if I let them keep hitting me without healing, but they're very slow, so when I got low I backed off and healed so it wasn't an issue.

I'm sure it helped that I saw videos of the mission and I knew what to expect from you guys, but it's no longer crazy and impossible to beat while playing fairly like it was.

Oh side note, one of the hammer guys I spammed some throwing axes I found into and killed in like three seconds so if there's a recipe for them, definitely craft them.

I guess if there's one takeaway besides "yeah it's been balanced a bit", it's this: play smartly! Use throwables and stuff, they're in the game for a reason! The flare I used to light up the area where the hammer guy runs at you probably helped, too.

Vib Rib posted:

Adding more stuff to the underground is a good idea.
But so is speeding up mining. Good thing you can do both. Bad thing they won't.

I'd really like to see an explanation why they think it's a bad idea. The only thing I can possibly come up with is that they don't want people to just skip all the interesting underground biomes because they can just mine superfast. I guess I could see that being a theoretical issue if your mining speed was incredibly fast - but part of the way you prevent that from happening is by making sure your underground biomes are fun & interesting.

As long as the mining isn't, like, incredifast, and your underground biomes are fun & interesting, then I feel like players would probably check out the underground content even if mindless mining was technically more efficient, no? A lot of problems with the game feel like they stem from Chucklefish not trusting their player base, which... no surprise there. What they need to understand, though, is that while they might not be able to trust their community to not be retard assholes, they can trust them to be videogame players.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Eonwe posted:

You can bet your butt everyone will up the MM values because slow mining suuuuucks.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Should just make dirt, stone, mud, all the crap you don't want super fast to mine, and keep the ores and special biome stuff at the current speed.

Then you can zip through all the boring poo poo.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Shoehead posted:

You can bet your butt everyone will up the MM values because slow mining suuuuucks.

You wouldnt dare, This is going against TIYs great Vision!!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rrussom posted:

You wouldnt dare, This is going against TIYs great Vision!!

Moddability was part of that vision :colbert:

Me and Babe Magnet managed to get a lot figured out on our race mods tonight (it was mostly him), things are lookin good.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Tiy don't run away

Tiy come back to the thread

Tiy why do you hate mining so much

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Patware posted:

Tiy don't run away

But he loves mining, maybe too much even.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Patware posted:

Tiy don't run away

Blackheart posted:

But he loves mining, maybe too much even.

No, Pat's right, it's like they're intentionally making it tedious so you'd be motivated to do other stuff besides just mining, but if you take that philosophy to its logical conclusion maybe they should just remove mining altogether and make it an exploration game since maybe that's what he really wants to make?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
XboxPants'd again!

Holy poo poo you are really loving stupid.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Patware posted:

Tiy don't run away

Tiy, we MISS YOU. :unsmigghh:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

XboxPants posted:

No, Pat's right, it's like they're intentionally making it tedious so you'd be motivated to do other stuff besides just mining,

Like?

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Are the picks too hard to make? I'm at the steel level without anything else to use copper for so I've just been turning out a bunch of copper picks for whenever I want to mine fast. I don't use them for regular dirt, just for the ore bearing ones. I can mine more copper then what I spend on picks because I have found for the starting worlds at least, a lot of the ore seems to group together, so since I really just want a lot of iron, I end up with quite a bit of copper mining out the iron.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Moddability was part of that vision :colbert:

Me and Babe Magnet managed to get a lot figured out on our race mods tonight (it was mostly him), things are lookin good.

This is the true power of friendship.

E: Specifically, our races now load in correctly, and though we've got a lot of placeholder stuff in, it's a good base to move on and slowly integrate our custom poo poo back in.

Right now I'm fixing my 70 or so weapons and 40 pieces of armor.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Like whatever things they think they're going to add. That post of mine seems to have given the wrong impression, I was being sarcastic, obviously they shouldn't remove mining, I was being more like "well poo poo man if you hate mining so much that the only function it's gonna serve in your final product is to be so boring that the other underground stuff looks more fun by comparison, then why are you making a mining game man".

Silento Boborachi posted:

Are the picks too hard to make? I'm at the steel level without anything else to use copper for so I've just been turning out a bunch of copper picks for whenever I want to mine fast. I don't use them for regular dirt, just for the ore bearing ones. I can mine more copper then what I spend on picks because I have found for the starting worlds at least, a lot of the ore seems to group together, so since I really just want a lot of iron, I end up with quite a bit of copper mining out the iron.

No you're right, I did forget about that while I was playing. They're a great sink for mats once you craft everything you need. In old versions of the game you'd wind up with a big stack of ingots with nothing to do with them except grind them into pixels.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

XboxPants posted:

No, Pat's right, it's like they're intentionally making it tedious so you'd be motivated to do other stuff besides just mining, but if you take that philosophy to its logical conclusion maybe they should just remove mining altogether and make it an exploration game since maybe that's what he really wants to make?

I don't want to just put in :thejoke: three times in a row, but I need to

:thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

This is the true power of friendship.

E: Specifically, our races now load in correctly, and though we've got a lot of placeholder stuff in, it's a good base to move on and slowly integrate our custom poo poo back in.

Right now I'm fixing my 70 or so weapons and 40 pieces of armor.

drat that's a lot of loving weapons, sounds cool. If you're still looking, weevils are weird looking beetles and you could also look at larvae/grubs, a lot of them have really weird jaws/mandibles that you could use for horn inspiration.

Patware posted:

I don't want to just put in :thejoke: three times in a row, but I need to

:thejoke: :thejoke: :thejoke:

I was also continuing to make that same joke so :thejoke: to you too I guess?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, it's all 10 tiers of all 6 weapon types, all 10 tiers of armor, plus some extras. I have more to make, as I'm doing shields and throwing weapons and vanity clothes, too, but that poo poo can come later.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
Tell me babe, Tell me about the anime poo.

(thats seriously alot of weapons, though i never got past durasteel)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

beetletits

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Can't wait to give your mod a shot. Always a fan of more options. I want info on shoehead's mod.

Shoehead, why aren't you as transparent as babemagnet? Give us info. Please.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Shoehead went to shoebed.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/skellies.994/ here's the mod though. 90's Skeleton people

reader beware

your in for a scare

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Shoehead's mod is the Skellies, 90's skeleton people looking for :krad: things to do in space.
Modpage is here
Also of note, the Peglaci by dog kisser, a bunch of awesome-looking ice-world beasts granted intelligence by an alien force.
There was a race of goat people called the Soma posted in-thread a while back, but I think whoever was working on them quit.

e:fb

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

It'd be awesome if we could get links to all of the goon-made mods in the OP!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

When the stable comes out we're just going to make a new thread entirely.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

This thread is dead and gay just like this idiot game

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I miss the pages and pages of shitposts

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I had forgotten about the 90's punk skeleton people.

These mods are going to be too exciting.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

This thread is dead and gay just like this idiot game

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I miss the pages and pages of shitposts

Same.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=267

Feel free to start your own thread to talk in your own way about a game that you don't play

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

XboxPants posted:

Feel free to start your own thread to talk in your own way about a game that you don't play

Thanks man, but really any thread that you are desperately trying to effort post in is good enough for our shitposting.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

XboxPants posted:

XboxPants'd again.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Why the hell do none of the Skellies have a Devillock hair cut??

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I just want to say gently caress the moon mission and gently caress the person who gave the enemies that spew attack.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

Imp zone owns

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Eonwe posted:

Imp zone owns

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They're good people. the people in that zone.

• Locked thread