Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

After I did my concealed carry class (didn't bother going to court to actually get the permit) I got an NRA flyer in the mail saying something like "THESE HOLLYWOOD CELEBS WANT TO TAKE YOUR GUNS AWAY, DEFEND YOUR RIGHT TO DEFEND YOUR HOME"

I guess I expected something like "Hey here's some bills congress is working on and what they mean for gun ownership", but what I got was the comments section on a local news site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The NRA is effectively the mouthpiece of the fire arms industry. The Second Amendment Foundation has a much better track record of opposing and defeating dumb legislation and protecting the rights of those who want to own firearms legally.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Gun culture is weird.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Shooting poo poo is a lot of fun though.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

psydude posted:

The NRA is effectively the mouthpiece of the fire arms industry. The Second Amendment Foundation has a much better track record of opposing and defeating dumb legislation and protecting the rights of those who want to own firearms legally.

And they don't sound like a bunch of fuckin' lunatics, either.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cole posted:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I want a springfield xds.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-21/cairns-woman-charged-with-murder-of-eight-children/5981652

Not news because not an extremist.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Shooting is cool but expensive. I haven't taken my Kimber out to the range in almost 3 years if not longer.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cole posted:

not caring here posted:

And they don't sound like a bunch of fuckin' lunatics, either.

They spam the hell out of you and their mailers are full of crazy. NRA has legit called me less and sent me less crazy poo poo in the mail.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Gun culture is weird.

This, as an outsider gun culture is weird and fascinating to me.

To give a bit of an background Gun Laws in Puerto Rico are really strict, combined with the general mistrust of guns and the lack of game for hunting means we really don't care about our guns.

This was (and still is) one of the biggest moments of culture shock for me when I joined the CG and started talking to people. As a godless pinko liberal I have learned that:

1) Shooting guns is fun
2) Hunting is fun
3) Shotguns are especially fun to shoot

The problems with gun laws lies not with the responsible gun owners, it lies with the manufacturers who shriek at them because it means less money for them . And the irresponsible owners, the ones who shoot themselves in the feet because they don't believe in gun safety, shriek because:

a) the gubbiment is gonna take their guns
b) is their god given right to own guns if the gubbiment ever tries to opress them
c) if you take their guns away they will stop being americans
d) hilarious power fantasies about shooting niggers uppity urban youth who are up to no good.
e) This is what i see when i think about lovely gun owners

Guns are cool, shooting is cool but I will never own a gun myself. However we do not need more gun laws when we don't even enact, enforce or even care about the laws we currently have in place.

Still we need to enact stricter toy gun laws, because that is surely the biggest problem we have right now.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Deer are a loathsome species deserving of death. They also happen to taste good and I can get hunting tags for dirt loving cheap in Georgia because I'm a vet. Literally the only reason I own a gun

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

fresh venison owns

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Two Finger posted:

fresh venison owns

venison jerky owns even more

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gently caress deer forever

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

gently caress deer forever

Louis CK knows about loving deer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Two Finger posted:

fresh venison owns

One of the only good things about being stationed at Whiteman was that almost everyone in my shop was a hunter, and they'd always bring in various venison-based foods. Delicious.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
I really like a roo tail soup!

Unfortunately, being an Aussie I cant shoo....

Wait, I can waste local wildlife with my firearms. Not people but. Strange place I live in.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Actually deer are real good and cool (to make into sausage).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I own several guns and they are cool and all that, but I don't understand the obsession with them.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

I own several guns and they are cool and all that, but I don't understand the obsession with them.

Cowards become obsessed with self-defense as a means of compensating for their own fear. Guns are cool and being able to defend yourself is the right of every civilized person, but tacti-dads are so obviously trying to make themselves look tough in order to cover for their own fears.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I think the gun enthusiasts who collect them as a means to enjoy military history or whatever are cool. I get that wholeheartedly. It's the dudes who seem to dream about being the victim of a home invasion or street crime who just make me laugh.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Equine Don posted:

Actually deer are real good and cool (to make into sausage).

And jerky.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

turkeys are also awesome for very similar reasons to deer

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

holocaust bloopers posted:

It's the dudes who seem to dream about being the victim of a home invasion or street crime who just make me laugh.

Twiggiest dude I know is in to that. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I think the gun enthusiasts who collect them as a means to enjoy military history or whatever are cool. I get that wholeheartedly. It's the dudes who seem to dream about being the victim of a home invasion or street crime who just make me laugh.

We had an AWO in my squadron with some pretty serious facial scars after getting beaten to poo poo, tied up and locked in a closet during a home invasion. Awesome dude, he'd actually fit in well here. One of the few I still actually talk to on facebook sometimes. I also worked with a guy when I was an armored car guard who was attempted-robbed. Got jumped & pepper sprayed while going through a door, fought the guy off and held him at gunpoint until the cops arrived. And a couple other stories. Like it or not it's a tool that can absolutely come in handy but only under the worst circumstances. I don't see a problem in being prepared for the worst...but that includes proficiency, safety, and similar poo poo that tons of gun nuts don't give a gently caress about. Fortunately the only "bad" gun story I have is the idiot who pulled a gun on a SNCO to win an argument. But that guy was the most worthless loser I ever knew in the military.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

I think the gun enthusiasts who collect them as a means to enjoy military history or whatever are cool.

There was an old man that lived next to my grandma that had a huge collection of guns mounted on his walls from mostly throughout American history, some of them went back to the 1700's. He's dead now but if his family doesn't still have them I wouldn't at all be surprised if they're in a museum somewhere now. I don't think he owned a single gun that was made after WW2. I was a little kid when I went over there and he showed them to me and my dad but he could tell you the historical context of every gun he owned.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Godholio posted:

We had an AWO in my squadron with some pretty serious facial scars after getting beaten to poo poo, tied up and locked in a closet during a home invasion. Awesome dude, he'd actually fit in well here. One of the few I still actually talk to on facebook sometimes. I also worked with a guy when I was an armored car guard who was attempted-robbed. Got jumped & pepper sprayed while going through a door, fought the guy off and held him at gunpoint until the cops arrived. And a couple other stories. Like it or not it's a tool that can absolutely come in handy but only under the worst circumstances. I don't see a problem in being prepared for the worst...but that includes proficiency, safety, and similar poo poo that tons of gun nuts don't give a gently caress about. Fortunately the only "bad" gun story I have is the idiot who pulled a gun on a SNCO to win an argument. But that guy was the most worthless loser I ever knew in the military.

Its not the first two people im afraid off, its the minority of retarded, spitefull, moronic, racist, selfish and extremely vocal gun owners that im worried about as they are a danger to themselves and others.

Also armed sorveign citizens but thats a whole nother level of crazy.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bm3GgDxPOM

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's nice that they can find exciting jobs for the mentally handicapped.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

It's like when I was 6 years old and pretending sticks were guns. "Now I'm going to dodge the Russky's bullets and roll over behind that leaf pile!"

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hhahahahahahah

What the gently caress.

Dreaming about getting caught in homie crossfire downtown.

How about you just put your foot on the gas, agent bourne.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Zeroisanumber posted:

Cowards become obsessed with self-defense as a means of compensating for their own fear. Guns are cool and being able to defend yourself is the right of every civilized person, but tacti-dads are so obviously trying to make themselves look tough in order to cover for their own fears.
Pretty sure all these tacti-dads would poo poo/piss themselves at the first sign of hostilities and be shaking too hard to release the safety and aim at their attacker. In the event they do get a shot off the target was actually their wife/kid getting a glass of milk.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
He didn't even bother mentioning how little protection a car door provides. Dude plays life by Call of Duty rules.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Willy Pete posted:

Pretty sure all these tacti-dads would poo poo/piss themselves at the first sign of hostilities and be shaking too hard to release the safety and aim at their attacker. In the event they do get a shot off the target was actually their wife/kid getting a glass of milk.

If I were in a gunfight, I'd count myself lucky if I got away without getting hurt and without making GBS threads my pants.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

But that guy was the most worthless loser I ever knew in the military.

More worthless than the guy who beat his baby to death?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
See, in my current house in the ghetto, I've had 2 shady fuckers try to come in my house, because apparently there used to be a dealer who lived here or something.

One got kicked down the stairs, the other got dragged out into the street for some humiliation (I had a really bad concussion).

I didn't even dream of grabbing a gun.

I do have a one for home defense now because I've got this fuckin' time bomb artery ready to blow up if I fart hard, but really if it was the same circumstance as the other 2 times (skinny little crackhead looking for his old dealer), I'd be more inclined to hit him with it than shoot him.

I got guns for putting holes in paper distances away, not fuckin' living out some weirdo urban commando ninja fantasy. My favourite gun is a 5 round bolt action, that I shoot at the same pace that old people gently caress.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've been holding off on getting a conceal and carry license because I don't want to sit in a class alone with these clowns. I figure I'll wait till my brother turns 21 next year so I have someone to go with. Probably won't carry very often either, I haven't had any experiences in the last 5 years where I think having a gun would have done any good.

Now that zombie survival poo poo that's apparently popular these days, that's funny.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

He didn't even bother mentioning how little protection a car door provides. Dude plays life by Call of Duty rules.

The whole truck is a death trap. Even if you wanted to stop and shoot someone up, why would you stay in the truck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Depending on what state you're in, the class can often be substituted by any NRA-certified course. Since I'd already had NRA basic pistol and rifle, the gun shop I took the course at let me do NRA Defensive Pistol, instead.

At least that afternoon wasn't a TOTAL waste.

• Locked thread