Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Courthouse posted:

So I just discovered this and got all nostalgic for the old bf 1942 days. Unfortunately I went American before checking SA for a thread, how do I switch sides?

You have to wait for the next war, and purchases don't switch sides with you, so save your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Bondematt posted:

You have to wait for the next war, and purchases don't switch sides with you, so save your money.

How long does a war take?

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Courthouse posted:

So I just discovered this and got all nostalgic for the old bf 1942 days. Unfortunately I went American before checking SA for a thread, how do I switch sides?

Looks like it'll be another couple days before the Americans win.

They can last anywhere from a day or two to a month.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Do they ever offer specials? This game's marketing is the exact opposite of WoT.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

L-Boned posted:

Do they ever offer specials? This game's marketing is the exact opposite of WoT.

Every time they offer new things, they seem to be a better deal than prior sales.

The steam packs, for example. I've never seen actual "For this week only, 50% off!"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Courthouse posted:

You can just make a new account with another email address. The only advantage of playing for different teams under same login is the shared money pool.

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Gamertag is Motsew.

Markariel
Dec 10, 2013
Darn, just switched sides to US this war. Should have looked on SA first. Good thing I still have a german soldier lingering somewhere. Game is pretty fun to play, except when you play training missions with people thinking it is Rambo Online. If you want to have fun, team up with friends and wreck some poo poo.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Feel really burned out from this game. Any idea as to why allies are constantly winning after the patch? Germany usually has a strong initial offensive, but then slowly lose ground and eventually the war...

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Nitrox posted:

Feel really burned out from this game. Any idea as to why allies are constantly winning after the patch? Germany usually has a strong initial offensive, but then slowly lose ground and eventually the war...

Limited resources, so AT spam is no longer viable. Germany still can win but it requires them to be smart about how they use their forces now.

Before that, Germany almost always won every single war because loads of wehraboos spamming ATs everywhere.

Markariel
Dec 10, 2013
I think the only thing that really keeps bugging me is the 5vs5 matches on a large defense map.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
This game reminds me a lot of Mechwarrior Online. The actual core gameplay is good but the marketing, monetization, and hacking have killed it for me.

Markariel
Dec 10, 2013
What marketing? The only thing they did was move it from a semi open beta to open beta on steam. The money is not bad, the 20 dollar/euro package is a pretty good deal unless you don't want to grind poo poo and spend your gold on everything. The hacking is a problem but to be honest I don't know any current MP game that doesn't suffer from it. I blame hackers making pubic hacks to find out how they are found and then build private hacks for money with the knowledge. It is ridiculous easy these days to hack on a MP game.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The Germans are winning again.

Oh, and Russians in 2015.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gerbil_Pen posted:

The Germans are winning again.

Oh, and Russians in 2015.

That is excellent news

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
How many goons are still playing this, because I'm looking for a Battlefield-like F2P game and this seems the closest so far?

Also, what's the general state of the game?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Longbaugh01 posted:

How many goons are still playing this, because I'm looking for a Battlefield-like F2P game and this seems the closest so far?

Also, what's the general state of the game?

It's fun, assuming you have the patience to tolerate people with ESP and aimbots. It's be a pretty good game if they were willing to put the effort into combatting the absolutely prolific cheating, but it's really prolific. I almost never see a round where there aren't multiple people on both sides being pretty blatant about it, but you do often get the same people round after round so that might just be confirmation bias.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Olesh posted:

It's fun, assuming you have the patience to tolerate people with ESP and aimbots. It's be a pretty good game if they were willing to put the effort into combatting the absolutely prolific cheating, but it's really prolific. I almost never see a round where there aren't multiple people on both sides being pretty blatant about it, but you do often get the same people round after round so that might just be confirmation bias.

That sounds pretty horrifying and similar to World Of Tanks BS. Thanks for the heads up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I don't see many aim bots but this is a game that gives you stupidly accurate weapons.

The only thing I've seen that was cheating was some guy shooting bazooka rounds out of a garand. I've seen it once.

I've also got stupid high kill streaks using an accurate weapon so...

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Does this game have some sort of ranked based matchmaking that I'm not seeing?

The first two days I played the game I could run around as infantry without fear of instantly being headshot the second I stepped outside a building. Day three it was a like a switch was flipped and I was suddenly surrounded by people who could headshot me at a sprint from across the map.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Arven posted:

Does this game have some sort of ranked based matchmaking that I'm not seeing?

The first two days I played the game I could run around as infantry without fear of instantly being headshot the second I stepped outside a building. Day three it was a like a switch was flipped and I was suddenly surrounded by people who could headshot me at a sprint from across the map.
Because you hit level 3 and is now open to join the entirety of the game, instead of the new player sandbox.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Yah most of my deaths are due to planes now in the higher ranked matches.

I've learned to not go directly at the enemy which cut down on the deaths dramatically.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Because you hit level 3 and is now open to join the entirety of the game, instead of the new player sandbox.

Noo it was long after level 3. This was like three months ago mind you, maybe I started playing right as cheating got bad?

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Arven posted:

Noo it was long after level 3. This was like three months ago mind you, maybe I started playing right as cheating got bad?

As for the cheating, I don't feel like it's been an issue, and I couldn't say I've witnessed any. I just started playing in a last couple weeks. The core gameplay is pretty good I think, but the way they do experience and monetization etc kinda sucks and makes me not want to play. I think to get more out of the game at this point I'd need to join some voice chat group.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Resource posted:

As for the cheating, I don't feel like it's been an issue, and I couldn't say I've witnessed any. I just started playing in a last couple weeks. The core gameplay is pretty good I think, but the way they do experience and monetization etc kinda sucks and makes me not want to play. I think to get more out of the game at this point I'd need to join some voice chat group.

I don't play it without friends, but everything is better when you play it with other people.

As for the cheating, it's hit or miss - I can't say that I've been in a game in the past few weeks where there wasn't at least one person on the enemy team using an aimbot/ESP, but the reality of the situation is they can only actually shoot one person at a time and whether or not they ruin your fun depends on how obnoxiously blatant they're being with it.

The experience system is mostly just a dumb grind to encourage you to spend money to skip parts of the process that annoy you, but the payoff is that if you bring a character to general rank, all of their gear goes into a pool that you can freely assign to a new character. So yeah, you "lose" that character and their unlocks if you want to play the campaign side of the game, but you're not stuck starting entirely from scratch with a Garand.

I'd recommend that you stay away from being a pilot - controls for flying are dumb and really require using the debug controls (CTRL+WASD) to get the most out of it, and then you'll still end up on the tail of someone who evades you by flying perfectly sideways through a forest. Tanking is fun, although the Germans get a distinct advantage in unlocking their better tanks sooner - German tanks are equivalent to the US ones, but the equivalent German tank always unlocks sooner than the US one in terms of time/XP required.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Olesh posted:

I don't play it without friends, but everything is better when you play it with other people.

As for the cheating, it's hit or miss - I can't say that I've been in a game in the past few weeks where there wasn't at least one person on the enemy team using an aimbot/ESP, but the reality of the situation is they can only actually shoot one person at a time and whether or not they ruin your fun depends on how obnoxiously blatant they're being with it.

This.
Cheating is not too obnoxious and often tolerable. It's often easy to adapt to or avoid altogether. Employing common sense survival tactics goes a long way, most cheaters are terrible players and will flip out and ragequit after you squeeze them enough.

I've hit a major improvement in long distance rifle shooting by having a mouse with an adjustable sensitivity. Defending a hangar against mixed infantry on a foggy map is a recipe for a near 3-digit kill count. Stock PM40 and fully geared KAR98 is a deadly, deadly combination. Of course I was accused of cheating, why'd you ask?

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
I want to play this with goons, do we actually get in groups to play, and if so what TS/mumble?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TheSpartacus posted:

I want to play this with goons, do we actually get in groups to play, and if so what TS/mumble?
If only there was a thread on the forums, dedicated to compiling that information and presenting it in easy to read format.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Shooting the bazooka is bad with money. Something got changed recently. It wasn't THAT expensive just a few weeks ago. This is from total of 9 shots fired, 4 APCs down.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

The most cost effective (and satisfying) method of neutralizing tanks is sniping the rear end in a top hat when they pop their head out. :getin:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

TehKeen posted:

The most cost effective (and satisfying) method of neutralizing tanks is sniping the rear end in a top hat when they pop their head out. :getin:

My favorite was a match where we ended up with more German tanks than the Germans had, back when you didn't need to unlock poo poo. People were way bad about this before you had to get a certain rank to tank it up.

We didn't have any tank AT's at that party either.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TehKeen posted:

A thousand times yes. I was a tanker in a battle and all we had was 38's, tank destroyers. The great thing about 'em is that machine gun has 360 degrees of movement and can hit infantry point blank. So I immediately jumped on it, while the driver parked his rear end on top of the most visible hill and proceeded to stick his head out of hatch, get shot, re-spawn and then repeat the process at least 4 times. The tank never left that hill. It's a sad day when you run out of driver reinforcements, but still have tanks available.

My most triumphant moment was following a Hellcat on a bicycle though the woods, hills and valleys, stalking it like pray. Patiently waiting for driver to feel safe and pop open the hatch. Then BAM!, free Hellcat. 10 minutes well spent

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 21, 2014

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

TehKeen posted:

Tankers can spawn on their tanks so long as it isn't in the middle of being unlocked. :ssh:

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Gamerofthegame posted:

Tankers can spawn on their tanks so long as it isn't in the middle of being unlocked. :ssh:

I think you can still attempt to spawn, and it becomes a race as to who gets in first.

Stoned Sheep
Jun 21, 2010
The main problem with this game is the Thompson being brutally overpowered; makes the mp40 feel like an airsoft gun.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Stoned Sheep posted:

The main problem with this game is the Thompson being brutally overpowered; makes the mp40 feel like an airsoft gun.
The DPS is exactly the same. However, Thompson has the more powerful ammo and MP40 has higher rate of fire. Either gun has it's ups and downs. In close quarters, you can draw faster than a Thompson wielder, and I've done it on multiple occasions. But once they have a bead on you, it's all over.

It's fun to pick up a fully upgraded weapon and use it a bullet hose, because you're no longer paying for the ammunition :D

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Gerbil_Pen posted:

I think you can still attempt to spawn, and it becomes a race as to who gets in first.

Nope. The option to spawn disappears as soon as someone starts unlocking, and if you've already selected it and are waiting on the spawn timer it'll unselect it and return you back to spawn point selection.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Nitrox posted:

The DPS is exactly the same. However, Thompson has the more powerful ammo and MP40 has higher rate of fire. Either gun has it's ups and downs. In close quarters, you can draw faster than a Thompson wielder, and I've done it on multiple occasions. But once they have a bead on you, it's all over.

It's fun to pick up a fully upgraded weapon and use it a bullet hose, because you're no longer paying for the ammunition :D

Upgrading the internals and the trigger on the MP40 for faster rate of fire makes the MP40 amazing for clearing buildings.

I'm working my way towards paratrooper, is there anything critical to know about switching to that class? I've been infantry the whole time, and I'm hoping that I can use paratrooper to more easily take points inside buildings.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Has anyone reading this thread played the game for longer than 4 months?

You'll find that generally many of the "bugs"/poor design changes that seem to linger well beyond any reasonable length of time are the ones that overcharge/steal warfunds, credits or gold. But it's beta, right?

Been following since at least 2010 or 2009 but prob earlier iirc because i heard about it when I was still playing WWII Online and I quit after 08. The devs remind me of CRS with the stubbornness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Resource posted:

Upgrading the internals and the trigger on the MP40 for faster rate of fire makes the MP40 amazing for clearing buildings.

I'm working my way towards paratrooper, is there anything critical to know about switching to that class? I've been infantry the whole time, and I'm hoping that I can use paratrooper to more easily take points inside buildings.
That's my MP40 setup now as well. Bring it will you when you go para. Don't buy the para-specific gun because it's almost 300k, can't be upgraded and won't be available to you if you go back to other classes. Worst money I've spent in game, period.

• Locked thread