Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mraagvpeine posted:

You know that area between the West of the Fire Nation and the East of the Earth Nation that never gets any attention? What do you suppose is there?

Isn't that side of the Fire Nation where Ember Island is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

PriorMarcus posted:

Isn't that side of the Fire Nation where Ember Island is?

so it's Hawaii?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well I mean Ozai had a beach house there.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

You know that area between the West of the Fire Nation and the East of the Earth Nation that never gets any attention? What do you suppose is there?

Clearly, that's where Not-India is located, and where that one merchant at Varrick's introduction, all the folks with Guru in their name as well als Ghazan come from. Which is obviously where the third Avatar series will mainly take place. New locations, people.

We still won't see the modern Fire Nation.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If we ever got an epilogue, which we won't, but I like to imagine, I'd love to see Varrick discovering that the Avatar world is not, in fact, flat.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If we ever got an epilogue, which we won't, but I like to imagine, I'd love to see Varrick discovering that the Avatar world is not, in fact, flat.

With people living on both poles and a fire nation which patrolled and oppressed both I think people know that.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Bryan and Mike have confirmed more involvement with the Avatar comics, but it doesn't necessarily mean there will be Korra comics.

It would be best if it wasn't Korra.

I can forsee the ravings of a million shippers if they pulled a mai/zuko with korra/asami

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

mauman posted:

It would be best if it wasn't Korra.

I can forsee the ravings of a million shippers if they pulled a mai/zuko with korra/asami

what did mai and zuko break up or something?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

DoctorWhat posted:

what did mai and zuko break up or something?

Yes

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Technically Korra and Asami giving lesbianism a shot in the Spirit World and then finding out one or both of them is just not that into it is as valid an interpretation as any other. Just saying.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That won't last, it's probably a comic hook

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Technically Korra and Asami giving lesbianism a shot in the Spirit World and then finding out one or both of them is just not that into it is as valid an interpretation as any other. Just saying.

It isn't really an interpretation if you're not interpreting anything. Technically, you could also assume that they get ambushed by Skeletor and he fires a plasma beam at them which sends them back in time to the Stone Age or something. I mean, TECHNICALLY, there's nothing suggesting this doesn't happen after the series ended.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ambivalent posted:

It isn't really an interpretation if you're not interpreting anything. Technically, you could also assume that they get ambushed by Skeletor and he fires a plasma beam at them which sends them back in time to the Stone Age or something. I mean, TECHNICALLY, there's nothing suggesting this doesn't happen after the series ended.

I'd watch/read that.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i want to read comics in which korra and asami refer to each other as sweetie and honey every sentence

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I haven't read many of the Avatar comics, but I feel like the Korra series is best left alone. There are a few loose ends, but others seem like something the next Avatar could deal with (the Red Lotus' return, what happens to the new Earth kingdom states) or something ultimately inconsequential which works just fine as an unknown anyway (where/how Amon learned his signature ability, Unalaq's wife, the murderer of Mako's/Bolin's parents). The only thing that I think is really missing is Suyin's dad. COME ON, TOPH, YOU CAN'T TELL US ONLY ONE :mad:

Soooo... No new plot threads would be for the best, I believe. I could imagine one stand-alone extra episode to clear up some remaining plot threads, and that's it. Bonus points if the relationship thing still doesn't get any outright confirmation whatsoever.

...of course, there is ZERO chance of that happening, but oh well.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There was really not much reason for ATLA comics except for the Zuko's mother thing.

Ambivalent posted:

I'm just saying they deliberately didn't use the kids' cartoon shorthand for "we're in true love now and always" in the finale since they didn't kiss.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Well, they couldn't. By all accounts it was a near thing even getting what they did in. It's remarkable how deeply and unspokenly censored a lot of TV still is, and you have to take that into account, because all the framing of the ending suggests an Aang and Katara-esque "hooray, they're in love" closer.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I still like it better if they don't kiss, anyway. Feels more natural.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The Sharmat posted:

I still like it better if they don't kiss, anyway. Feels more natural.

Honestly I think them not kissing was more romantic somehow.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010

Jorenko posted:

All the haters need to read this post again. This is exactly right; In season 3 it could have gone either way, but all through season 4 it was getting more and more obvious. If the international market wasn't a concern they probably would have been just as blatant as the hetero romances were all along.

i knew something was up when asami was the only one korra would send letters to

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I think my one big wish for seasons 3 and 4 is that there'd been a Zuko Alone style episode for the villains in each season. Especially in season 3 where we had a group that had so much chemistry when they were on screen together.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

quite the fucker posted:

i knew something was up when asami was the only one korra would send letters to

I recognized the subtext but thought that it couldn't have actually been intended that way because this show was on Nick.

Reene posted:

I think my one big wish for seasons 3 and 4 is that there'd been a Zuko Alone style episode for the villains in each season. Especially in season 3 where we had a group that had so much chemistry when they were on screen together.

Kuvira desperately needed this. It would have made the already good final conversation with Korra so much better.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I know 7 seasons is a lot for a show but I really want more. I kinda think that with the right handling and funding, and maybe making it a little more grown up, that it could go for a long time. There isn't really a market for adult cartoons though, apart from Archer they are pretty universally seen as kids shows (I'm not denying this is a kids show) or stuff creepy neckbeards watch. Even Archer isn't that big, and the MLP thing does not help at all.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there not a market for adult cartoons, or is it one of those things that's common knowledge among executives but is unsubstantiated, so it's never tried and a market never visibly materializes?

Although come to think of it that Spawn cartoon on HBO was adult as gently caress and never really went anywhere. Maybe it's the truth. (Not that I would want an Avatar series to have the same tone as HBO's Spawn)

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I don't think Nick would ever allow it but I think the dream would be one of the streaming services funding a new series. I've never seen any actual numbers but I feel like Korra has proven that it works as an online only show.

Definitely curious to see where Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino land though.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I think Archer is probably the most popular adult cartoon just because it's so clearly made for adults, theres lots of nudity and innuendo and the main characters are constantly drinking.

Unfortunately that would not work at all for something like Avatar, neither does live action. The only way Avatar could go anywhere would have been for it to become popular in japan and then dubbed for Western audiences like Dragonball and Pokemon.

Thinking about it though, the premise of the show is kinda similar to Dragonball. Magic crazy overpowered people doing martial arts and blowing poo poo up. The rest of the show is completely different though. Pokemon too, except that has magic animals doing magic kungfu.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Sharmat posted:

Is there not a market for adult cartoons,

There isn't. The main problem with making "adult cartoons" is, basically, what's the point? Bojack Horseman is technically an adult cartoon, but there's nothing about the series that couldn't be done better with real life actors, so.. what's the point? South Park, The Hobbit trilogy and Guardians of the Galaxy are basically adult cartoons, but they also appeal to people of all ages. Would you really want a GotG or a South Park that only appealed to adults? And if so, what would that entail?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

There isn't. The main problem with making "adult cartoons" is, basically, what's the point? Bojack Horseman is technically an adult cartoon, but there's nothing about the series that couldn't be done better with real life actors, so.. what's the point? South Park, The Hobbit trilogy and Guardians of the Galaxy are basically adult cartoons, but they also appeal to people of all ages. Would you really want a GotG or a South Park that only appealed to adults? And if so, what would that entail?

Well, one of the big advantages that anime offers is an almost unlimited scope for visual invention without blowing the annual GDP of France on visual effects and extras. It could be a real gift to adult-aimed sci-fi, fantasy, or any other sort of story that'd be difficult to produce/reproduce in live action, and shows like Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones have shown a real market for that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's pretty obvious they should give Platinum another go at the franchise and make a game set after the events where Korra and Asami go on adventures. The gimmick would be on the fly character switching (like Devil May Cry 4 styles) to pull of crazy combos. Korra is the launcher while Asami is the combo builder. The higher the combo the more the Korrasami meter builds and when it's full they pull off a high damage, room clearing movie. It ends with them holding hands for the first third of the game, the second third it ends with a hug and if you beat the final boss with it it ends with them kissing. Gameplay reflecting how their relationship grows over the course of the game to avoid the ludonarrative dissonance™.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that South Park was originally intended to have equal appeal between children and adults?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
EDIT: Sorry, double post

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Sharmat posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that South Park was originally intended to have equal appeal between children and adults?

I think it originally geared towards children, but has become more adult with time. poo poo like Beefcake and Mecha Streisand are the kind of dumb poo poo kids love.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Actually, people thought that poo poo was really funny when it came out and you're just now discovering that comedies age the most poorly of any genre

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, Kuvira fighting with the shapeshifting semi-liquid space metal was :black101: as hell. If there is ever a one-on-one Korra fighting game, those little floating balls would definitely be her main weapon/fighting style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

South park was absolutely geared towards adults. Like when it first started airing it had warnings it wasn't for kids to watch.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I appreciate when a story is ended on a high note/appropriate closing point. Generally I'm fine with it, but sometimes I get really attached or invested in a cast of characters/the world that's been built.A lot of times in that case I selfishly would rather it continue just so I could see the further adventures of these characters, even if it means continuing on past a natural closing point.

I got into ATLA about halfway through the initial run of Korra and I enjoyed it (after book 1, anyway; poo poo was kinda boring before Zuko got double-exiled and Toph showed up. Haven't read the comics.) but I didn't click with most of the cast like I did with Korra, despite all the teen romance drama they decided to open the new series with. Book 2 that obviously kind of waned a bit with the weirdness and inconsistent/poorly handled characterization of a lot of the cast (though Varrick and Wan saved it) but 3 and 4 are loving great and I love everybody and the villains have all been cool (except Unalaq) and the fight scenes rule and man I just don't want there to not be any more, yknow?

Unfortunately Nickelodeon will be Nickelodeon. The chances of more Avatar stuff is slim beyond maybe some comics because they pretty obviously lost faith halfway through, and Bryke clearly want nothing to do with Nick anymore so they wouldn't be working on a new show even if it existed, it would most likely be another time skip about a new avatar so no Korra, and even if all those stars miraculously aligned, Nickelodeon would never let them put out something where the main two characters are in a gay relationship.

I'm looking forward to what comes next from those guys though. They managed to build up enough good will to maintain the creative freedom to do some pretty rad things that I don't think a lot of executives would necessarily approve for a children's tv network. Hopefully if they decide to keep making stuff their portfolio can speak for itself and allow them to do cool things without getting stifled/shafted.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I get that. I really got attached to this show's characters. But the story is over. What more could you do? Korra is a fully realized Avatar both in terms of power and personal psychological development. Anything past that would seem forced.

Spergatory posted:

Man, Kuvira fighting with the shapeshifting semi-liquid space metal was :black101: as hell. If there is ever a one-on-one Korra fighting game, those little floating balls would definitely be her main weapon/fighting style.
I really wish they'd have let her throw around globs of mercury.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Slice-of-life. One of my favorite shows, Patlabor, is nothing but slice-of-life but they happen to be a police force with giant mechs. It's driven by all the characters.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Spergatory posted:

Man, more than anything else I want a Korra/ATLA-based fighting game like Skullgirls or Marvel v. Capcom or Tekken or whatever. That would be so loving tight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

ImpAtom posted:

South park was absolutely geared towards adults. Like when it first started airing it had warnings it wasn't for kids to watch.
South Park is a show that is content-wise not for kids while also simultaneously appealing to kids specifically because it's transgressive and puerile. That's sort of the trouble with 'adult' animation in general, though. Western animation aimed at adults is almost always comedic or satirical. You don't see sincere superheroic adventure cartoons like Justice League or the Avatar sagas targeting an adult audience. They may attract and intentionally appeal to older fans, but they're still beholden to the tighter standards that come with being a kid's show. There's clearly a perception among the money people that the audience that will tune in for, say, Arrow, The Walking Dead, or Game of Thrones would not be watching shows that were tonally the exact same, but animated.

• Locked thread