Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

The Sharmat posted:

I get that. I really got attached to this show's characters. But the story is over. What more could you do? Korra is a fully realized Avatar both in terms of power and personal psychological development. Anything past that would seem forced.

I knooooow but I just wanna see it! It doesn't have to be another story about saving the world or unlocking her magical kung fu powers; in fact I'd honestly prefer if it weren't. I just want to see Korra and Asami hanging out being cool & awesome & also gay as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Just some more beautiful fan art:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It should also be pointed out that it's not like anime is a wonderland of Cowboy Bebop clones. There are like, 3 good shows total I can think of that fit that description, and maybe another two or three mediocre ones, over the past 25 years or so. That's not a new thing either, that stuff was never produced in large quantities. That's still more than the US but not as bad as you might think

I think part of the problem is that Japanese TV and theatrical animation is much more closely intertwined, whereas in the US it's totally separated. You have TV anime studios working on movies and vice versa, there's much more freedom in terms of format.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hey, just watched the finale. That was pretty good.

My only regret is that, without really caring is actually at fault for it, we didn't get 4 seasons of that instead of 1 rushed ending and 1 sub par season to set up 3 and 4. Or longer seasons. There's just so many things in my head that I see the potential of that we only saw glimpses of, Korra and Asami being bisexual being only one of those. More exploration of Mako's and Bolin's criminal past, more than just two short scenes between Asami and her father after the end of season 1, more of what Korra losing access to her past lives means not only for her but the descendants of them, things like that.

Still, if that's what I'm going to get for the last of Avatar I can move on happy. I still maintain that Season 1 was mostly great right up until the very end (even if it did focus too much on Not-Zuko during the fight scenes) and when the back-half of Season 2 finally started to deal with the world-ending calamity rather than Bolin's movie career it got a lot better - not just the "Beginnings" episodes. Getting a same-sex couple on Nick was just a neat cherry on top of a whole lot of great things in the finale and season 4 (and 3) as a whole.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

icantfindaname posted:

It should also be pointed out that it's not like anime is a wonderland of Cowboy Bebop clones. There are like, 3 good shows total I can think of that fit that description, and maybe another two or three mediocre ones, over the past 25 years or so.

There are good anime outside of reruns on Toonami/Adult Swim. Honestly. It may be difficult to find when wading through all the dime-a-dozen shonen, cheesecake, and slice-of-life moei stuff that gets put out (presumably because that poo poo is somehow popular), but there are more diamonds in the rough than you're aware of.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I can name over 50 anime that are better than Korra very easy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

I can name over 50 anime that are better than Korra very easy.

Alright, go

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

yeah but they're not Adult Action Shows. lots of dramas, shounen, stuff for children, etc.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I basically agree with Kibayasu. I think part of the reason Korra gets more criticism than ATLA is it's a LOT easier to see how to improve Korra from what it is than ATLA.

Chaltab posted:

There's clearly a perception among the money people that the audience that will tune in for, say, Arrow, The Walking Dead, or Game of Thrones would not be watching shows that were tonally the exact same, but animated.
Which is a drat shame because all of those shows would work so much better if they had the exact same budget and tone but were animated instead of live action.

TriffTshngo posted:

I knooooow but I just wanna see it! It doesn't have to be another story about saving the world or unlocking her magical kung fu powers; in fact I'd honestly prefer if it weren't. I just want to see Korra and Asami hanging out being cool & awesome & also gay as heck.
I get that but is there really gonna be a lot of people lining up to buy an hour and a half long animated movie about Korra and Asami figuring out they're attracted to each other?

Regy Rusty posted:

Alright, go
Careful, that's a Big Anime Fan There.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Well, enough time has passed that I think can gather my thoughts into something coherent.

I binge-watched Avatar over the spring and summer of 2009, and I actually created my SA account so that I could follow along with the thread here. I didn't post in it, I just...didn't want the show to be over, basically, and thought that reading other's thoughts would help sort of delay that feeling of "poo poo, it's over." And that's basically what's going on with Korra right now, which I never thought would be the case - Book 1's finale was pretty mediocre, and though I enjoyed it at the time, Book 2 definitely had some pacing and characterization issues. But Books 3 and 4 were largely fantastic, and in particular I think the Korra finale can easily to stand up to the best parts of the original series. The assault on the Colossus, the Korra/Kuvira fight (and resolution), and the legitimately beautiful final scene...all amazing moments.

Goddamn it I'm gonna' miss this show.

Chaltab posted:

South Park is a show that is content-wise not for kids while also simultaneously appealing to kids specifically because it's transgressive and puerile. That's sort of the trouble with 'adult' animation in general, though. Western animation aimed at adults is almost always comedic or satirical. You don't see sincere superheroic adventure cartoons like Justice League or the Avatar sagas targeting an adult audience. They may attract and intentionally appeal to older fans, but they're still beholden to the tighter standards that come with being a kid's show. There's clearly a perception among the money people that the audience that will tune in for, say, Arrow, The Walking Dead, or Game of Thrones would not be watching shows that were tonally the exact same, but animated.

I think a lot of this ultimately may come from bias against cartoons, to be honest. I think there's still a mentality among a lot of viewers that if a cartoon isn't an obviously "adult" comedy then it must be made for preschoolers or something, regardless of the quality of the content. This doesn't include anime, of course, which is its own niche product.

It's like Roger Ebert said about Ratatouille:
"This is clearly one of the year's best films. Every time an animated film is successful, you have to read all over again about how animation isn't 'just for children' but 'for the whole family,' and 'even for adults going on their own.' No kidding!"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

yeah but they're not Adult Action Shows. lots of dramas, shounen, stuff for children, etc.

Neither is Avatar so

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
I'm really glad this thread is ending, honestly.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Regy Rusty posted:

Alright, go

Easy:

Cowboy Bebop
Black Lagoon
Samurai Champloo
Urusei Yatsura
Galaxy Express 999
Space Dandy
Ping Pong: The Animation
Cromartie Highschool
Trigun
Ghost in the Shell
Paranoia Agent
FLCL
Cutie Honey
Votoms
Gundam Wing
G Gundam
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Berserk
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Gun Buster
Die Buster
Gatchaman Crowds
Detroit Metal City
Genocyber
Gurren Lagan
Lupin 3rd (Entire Series)
A Woman Called Mine Fujiko (count this one seperate)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Dragonball
One Piece
Hunter X Hunter
Dirty Pair
Mononoke
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Nichi Bros or w/e that poo poo was called
Yowamushi Pedal
Haruhi
Chihayafuru
The Tatami Galaxy
Planetes
Kids on the Slope
Hellsing
Time of Eve
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Space Brothers
Fist of the North Star
Durarara!
Serial Experiment Lain
Astrofighter Sun Red
Monster

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poo poo. I may not agree with all of it but that's actually a pretty good list.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
any list of good things with haruhi on it is a bad list

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I tried to make a good list of animes, that people might like to watch, but also challenge myself by not looking at my hard drive

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Forgot FMA (both versions) but otherwise a nice list

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Easy:

Cowboy Bebop
Black Lagoon
Samurai Champloo
Urusei Yatsura
Galaxy Express 999
Space Dandy
Ping Pong: The Animation
Cromartie Highschool
Trigun
Ghost in the Shell
Paranoia Agent
FLCL
Cutie Honey
Votoms
Gundam Wing
G Gundam
Berserk
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Gun Buster
Die Buster
Gatchaman Crowds
Detroit Metal City
Genocyber
Gurren Lagan
A Woman Called Mine Fujiko (count this one seperate)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Dragonball
One Piece
Hunter X Hunter
Dirty Pair
Mononoke
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Nichi Bros or w/e that poo poo was called
Yowamushi Pedal
Haruhi
Chihayafuru
The Tatami Galaxy
Planetes
Kids on the Slope
Hellsing
Time of Eve
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Space Brothers
Fist of the North Star
Durarara!
Serial Experiment Lain
Astrofighter Sun Red
Monster

You forgot Turn-A Gundam. :colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

If someone talks about any gundam show that isn't g gundam, I Turn-A-round and walk away.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

achillesforever6 posted:

Forgot FMA (both versions) but otherwise a nice list

DrSunshine posted:

There are very easily over 50 "Better Anime Than Legend of Korra" like you could just sit down and list out all the Gundams in order, original Astro Boy, very long list tbh.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I see no Code Geass on that list

I mean if we're including all the Gundams we may as well include their non-Gundam show too

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I mean I wasn't particularly fond of Evangelion but that may stem from not watching it as an angsty teen in the late 90's/early 2000's and just sort of finding 95% of the cast irritating as a 20-something who never liked reluctant protagonists to begin with.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

any list of good things with haruhi on it is a bad list

wrong

ok yeah maybe you're right. i would not recommend the show about the self insert MC and his magic tsundere girlfriend to people who want Good Anime. but that's about the only show I would contest

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 22, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Honestly I'm not sure I can even name fifty TV shows I've watched to completion off the top of my head, period. Truly, he is a Big Anime Fan.

Psycho Mantits posted:

It's like Roger Ebert said about Ratatouille:
"This is clearly one of the year's best films. Every time an animated film is successful, you have to read all over again about how animation isn't 'just for children' but 'for the whole family,' and 'even for adults going on their own.' No kidding!"
He said the same thing ages ago in his review of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. It just keeps happening. Of course at the same time he said he didn't like Mark Hamill's Joker so there's clearly something wrong with Roger Ebert.

TriffTshngo posted:

I mean I wasn't particularly fond of Evangelion but that may stem from not watching it as an angsty teen in the late 90's/early 2000's and just sort of finding 95% of the cast irritating as a 20-something who never liked reluctant protagonists to begin with.
Evangelion is legitimately a thing anyone that's into animation should watch. It's a hell of an experience, and being an angsty teen contributes to that. But I've never been able to make myself rewatch it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

DoctorWhat posted:

If someone talks about any gundam show that isn't g gundam, I Turn-A-round and walk away.

DoctorWhat, you seem like a nice kid but you'd best not talk poo poo about Turn A Gundam, the only good AU Gundam of the 21st Century. :colbert:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
One Piece is not better than Korra. :colbert:

At least you didn't write Naruto though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

DoctorWhat, you seem like a nice kid but you'd best not talk poo poo about Turn A Gundam, the only good AU Gundam of the 21st Century. :colbert:

i have literally only ever seen G Gundam.

Is turn-a as goofy and fun as G Gundam? If not, I'm not remotely interested.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

i have literally only ever seen G Gundam.

Is turn-a as goofy and fun as G Gundam? If not, I'm not remotely interested.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

,,, go ooon

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Chaltab posted:

The manga is in any case. I would say the show is at least as good as the worse bits of Korra and possibly/probably better depending on how sensitive to pacing issues you are

DoctorWhat posted:

,,, go ooon

It's very good, you should watch it.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Chaltab posted:

Man you know, I have to disagree with you because while One Piece is definitely not a serious theme driven show like Avatar attempts, I think it's overall much more enjoyable to watch. I think the voicework is much more dynamic, the art is poppy and fun, and the cast is just much better. This is even before factoring in the big anime boobs of One Piece as well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

One Piece suffers from the fact that there isn't any seasons and it's one episode a week all year. It's dumb and pacing took a nose-dive a few years ago but if One Piece adapted a 24 episode season format it would be fantastic. A good way to ruin something really fantastic. But the show makes bazillions of dollars and is more popular than everything popular put together, so nothing's going to change.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
That's fair I'm not going to act like I'm actually caught up with One Piece since I maintain a pretty busy anime schedule

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Easy:

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Space Dandy
Ghost in the Shell
Votoms
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Disregarding the 200+ episode shounen power series where you get a poo poo load of filler and garbage and some of the more recent "merely good" anime, these shows are all serious contenders for the best of the genre, especially the bolded examples. It's not really fair to put them and Korra in the same category for comparison. Korra was a good show, but it's not going to become a timeless classic that defines this era of western animation.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

Korra was a good show, but it's not going to become a timeless classic that defines this era of western animation.

I think you overestimate how good Western Animation is and even the idea of western action cartoons' survival as a genre.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

pentyne posted:

Disregarding the 200+ episode shounen power series where you get a poo poo load of filler and garbage and some of the more recent "merely good" anime, these shows are all serious contenders for the best of the genre, especially the bolded examples. It's not really fair to put them and Korra in the same category for comparison. Korra was a good show, but it's not going to become a timeless classic that defines this era of western animation.

Also FLCL. I think FLCL will always be my favorite animated thing. It has the best soundtrack I've ever seen in any piece of media

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 22, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You got rid of HxH, you suck.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

pentyne posted:

It's not really fair to put them and Korra in the same category for comparison. Korra was a good show, but it's not going to become a timeless classic that defines this era of western animation.

If the task is "name 50 anime that are better than Korra", why would you exclude the best options?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I loving love One Piece and even I wouldn't put it on a list of Good Anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

I think you overestimate how good Western Animation is and even the idea of western action cartoons' survival as a genre.

We're not exactly in a dearth of great western cartoons right now... they might not all be action, but when you have Over the Garden Wall, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Archer, The Venture Bros, Bob's Burgers, Rick and Morty....

• Locked thread