Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

f/22.5 @ 25 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Your recent stuff has been a lot moodier than usual. Almost into House Hunting territory, I really like it.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

ansel autisms posted:

f/22.5 @ 25 minutes.

I'm amazed that the interior light didn't get blown out. Was that room lit by a night light or something?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

If you're using Portra, you can get away with murder if you're handy with masked curve layers.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
rail by PC-P, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

ansel autisms posted:

f/22.5 @ 25 minutes.
Thanks, I'll definitely have to expose longer next time, then. There's no way my scene was 3 stops brighter than that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

f/22.5 @ 25 minutes.

I thought that street street sign said "WINDSWEPT HATERS DR" for a second.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

voodoorootbeer posted:

I'm amazed that the interior light didn't get blown out. Was that room lit by a night light or something?

That was probably a single bulb, nothing else was illuminated in the house.

try it with a lime posted:

Your recent stuff has been a lot moodier than usual. Almost into House Hunting territory, I really like it.

Thanks - I'm trying to go for moody. I feel pretty comfortable composing and now I want to add more emotion.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

ansel autisms posted:

f/22.5 @ 25 minutes.

Awesome. I'm amazed you didn't get the cops called on you standing out there that long. Then again, a large format camera lends more credibility than a dSLR to the "its art!" argument.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

f/22.5 @ 25 minutes.

Todd Hido the Sequel.

So I am having an issue with my Nikon F3HP. Once in a while the shutter wont trigger, and meter wont work. Usually this can be rectified by triggering the shutter manually, but not always. The camera has fresh new batteries, so I dont think that it would be it. Any ideas?

Anyways, my poo poo, crossposted from landscape thread:
California Dreaming by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Putrid Grin fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 21, 2014

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Here is some Lomography. Arista Premium and Rodinal 1+100 semi-stand. To be honest, I'm not sure the hazy shittiness of the Lomo goes well with black and white film.

img375

img382

mulls fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 22, 2014

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
^^^ I like em :)

Hell yeah

I pushed some delta 400 to 800. Why bother with hp5+ then? I like the finer grain.
Also are negative wipers useful to get rid of water stains? Even with photoflow I seem to get some.

Grimarest fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 22, 2014

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Grimarest posted:

^^^ I like em :)

Hell yeah

I pushed some delta 400 to 800. Why bother with hp5+ then? I like the finer grain.
Also are negative wipers useful to get rid of water stains? Even with photoflow I seem to get some.

These photos are great. Looks like Delta pushes really well.

A lot of people just use their fingers to squeegee off their film while it hangs, which should decrease the chances of water spots. I always wear cotton gloves when I hand-squeegee.

I've heard too many horror stories of negative wipers scratching the negative or (I usually hear about this with Fomapan) scraping off chunks of emulsion.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Use distilled water for your final rinse with photoflo if you're still getting spots.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yup. Squeegees scratch your negs, don't use them. Final rinse with distilled water and photoflo is the absolute best way. Dries completely clean.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
We don't have any distilled water in the darkroom but I'll bring some next time. Thanks all for the tip.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I always use my squeegee, and the only negs I've scratched were scratched from something before it got to the final rinse (probably my inept loading onto the reel). I clean them thoroughly before I use them, of course, and they do a good job at preventing water from beading or dripping on the film.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I've never used photoflo on my rinses, just distilled water and have never had a problem with spots. Dust from my apartment however is something I can't ever seem to get rid of.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I've never used photoflo on my rinses, just distilled water and have never had a problem with spots. Dust from my apartment however is something I can't ever seem to get rid of.

Steam up a bathroom with the shower and then hang the negs in there. I don't use photoflo either because I never get spots.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Finally got around to shooting the first of my two rolls of Astia today, looking forward to getting home in a week or two and developing the results.

Also American army men get really twitchy and up in your face when you take photos near their dumb, ugly bases, wow. If you're so concerned about people seeing how high your fences are or whatever maybe don't build right on the main road into town?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

big scary monsters posted:

Finally got around to shooting the first of my two rolls of Astia today, looking forward to getting home in a week or two and developing the results.

Also American army men get really twitchy and up in your face when you take photos near their dumb, ugly bases, wow. If you're so concerned about people seeing how high your fences are or whatever maybe don't build right on the main road into town?

:911:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Yo film thread, check out my sweet Kodak pin.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
So my mom found another camera that either belonged to my dad or grandfather. It also has a green filter Franke & Heidecke "Rollei - grun".

Beyond the sentimental value, is it worth getting cleaned up? Any idea where I could get this cleaned up? All the parts seem in good shape, just a real dusty mess...and probably needs lubing.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

A quick Google turns up these sample images, which suggest that yes, it's worth getting serviced.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

TheJeffers posted:

A quick Google turns up these sample images, which suggest that yes, it's worth getting serviced.

Any suggestions on a place where I might get that serviced at?

EDIT: Mark Hama is going to do it for me. As well as the Exakta I have, which makes me happy I don't need to send it to Moscow now.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 28, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Did a giant batch of C-41 today and got to see the Pakon F135 scanner in action. Ho-lee poo poo is it ever incredible. It maxes out at 3000x2000 but produces razor sharp scans even if the film is curled to hell. The built in color profiles are also spot-on.

Ignore the vignetting, I was using a DX lens on my F100

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I was in on BANME.sh's dev + scan marathon.

Canyon by Winston85, on Flickr

Lynn Canyon by Winston85, on Flickr

Bird Houses by Winston85, on Flickr

Camping by Winston85, on Flickr

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 31, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
That first one is awesome. I am glad I didn't botch all of your Portra :)

I love that scanner so much. I am trying to get the color to match using a scan from my flatbed as a comparison, and it's impossible.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 31, 2014

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

gently caress, I love this thread and the medium/large format. You bastards prompted me to ditch my digital gear, and I love you for it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mightaswell posted:

I was in on BANME.sh's dev + scan marathon.

Canyon by Winston85, on Flickr

Very nice.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Reminder for everyone who received Astia! I haven't received any film yet, so unless your slice is in the mail, please do the following:

Yond Cassius posted:

1 - Announce yourself and how much of an extension you need. I think six months is a healthy maximum.

2 - Do one of the following:

A -

voodoorootbeer posted:

spend a frame on a selfie. In drag.

OR!

B - Chicken out. Once the Astia thread goes up, make one of your pictures a reaction to something posted there. You can recreate the shot, poke fun at it, argue with it, steal some prominent element for something completely unrelated... engage it in some kind of artistic conversation. However, since you're taking the (relatively) easy way out, you should also make a donation to PhotoCenter NW, $2.50 for every month of extension you want, which feels like a pretty nominal cost going to a good cause. Proof is appreciated but I'll take it on the honor system.

I'll be sending out PMs and emails later tonight to remind people. If your slice is in the mail, just say so and I'll give you a week or so for it to get here. Mail gets slow around the holidays.

Happy New Year, everyone!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

So I'm reading that DELTA3200 is actually basically rated at 1600. Shoot at 1600 but still develop like it's 3200. Looking around flickr that seems to be the way to do it. Anyone have any experience with it?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Yond Cassius posted:

If your slice is in the mail, just say so and I'll give you a week or so for it to get here. Mail gets slow around the holidays.

Dropped mine into a Canada Post box on christmas eve. You should be seeing it soon, even with the holiday slowdown.

I will be enormously surprised if I'm the only one to have sent you some Astia before the end of 2014. I know, ~GOONS~, but c'mon guys, it's not that hard.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Dropped mine into a Canada Post box on christmas eve. You should be seeing it soon, even with the holiday slowdown.

I will be enormously surprised if I'm the only one to have sent you some Astia before the end of 2014. I know, ~GOONS~, but c'mon guys, it's not that hard.

I've shot mine, I just haven't sent it yet cause I'm lazy af lol

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

Reminder for everyone who received Astia! I haven't received any film yet, so unless your slice is in the mail, please do the following:

OR!

B - Chicken out. Once the Astia thread goes up, make one of your pictures a reaction to something posted there. You can recreate the shot, poke fun at it, argue with it, steal some prominent element for something completely unrelated... engage it in some kind of artistic conversation. However, since you're taking the (relatively) easy way out, you should also make a donation to PhotoCenter NW, $2.50 for every month of extension you want, which feels like a pretty nominal cost going to a good cause. Proof is appreciated but I'll take it on the honor system.

I'll be sending out PMs and emails later tonight to remind people. If your slice is in the mail, just say so and I'll give you a week or so for it to get here. Mail gets slow around the holidays.

[/quote]

Id like to ask for a 6 month, I'm hoping I wont need that long; I just want the Winter Suck to end so I that their is something other than grey to photograph.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pukestain Pal posted:

So I'm reading that DELTA3200 is actually basically rated at 1600. Shoot at 1600 but still develop like it's 3200. Looking around flickr that seems to be the way to do it. Anyone have any experience with it?

Ive shot it before and I shot at 1600 and that's what it was developed at. You can push to 3200 (or 6400) and develop appropriately.
I shot a roll of it in my Olympus Stylus Epic (RIP) and it was really cool:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

35mm Delta 3200 shot/developed at box speed.

I've shot a roll on my GW690 at 6400 and the grain scales very nicely to medium format.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 2, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I'm not a fan of Delta 3200, I'd rather push Tri-X or HP5+ to 3200 (or higher) than use it. The grain is bigger and the contrast softer than just cranking up the EI on a 400 speed film. If you aren't a fan of the contracted look you get from a 3 to 4 stop push then Delta is okay, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Agreeing with 8th that HP5 pushes a little more organically to 3200. I like Tri-X from 400-1600, but it starts getting a little too messy at 3200.