Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Pickle juice is water, salt, and vinegar. You can make your own.

I was taught from a young age that if you break a jar, you have to throw it and it's contents away, because there are little shards of glass there and you'll accidentally eat one and bleed to death from the inside out. I don't think this is as true as I thought it was, but still... I usually just throw that stuff away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah just throw it away. It's not worth the risk of having a small shard of glass make its way down your throat.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Got a package from Amazon today delivered by USPS. I'm sure I'm just blanking on something obvious, but I can't think of any other govt office that takes on work from a private company. What am I missing here?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It's self-funded?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Never mind.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

socketwrencher posted:

Got a package from Amazon today delivered by USPS. I'm sure I'm just blanking on something obvious, but I can't think of any other govt office that takes on work from a private company. What am I missing here?
The USAF and NASA launch a shitload of stuff into space for the private sector, both with their own rockets and with private rockets from government facilities.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Xandu posted:

It's self-funded?

Interesting point.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The USAF and NASA launch a shitload of stuff into space for the private sector, both with their own rockets and with private rockets from government facilities.

Didn't know that.

Thanks to you both.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

socketwrencher posted:

The fact that the USPS is only partially funded by taxes, and otherwise operates as a business, charging for services that are available to everyone? The channel is there; who's to say a company can't pay to use it just like a citizen?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

KnifeWrench posted:

The fact that the USPS is only partially funded by taxes, and otherwise operates as a business, charging for services that are available to everyone? The channel is there; who's to say a company can't pay to use it just like a citizen?

Does the funding matter? Seems like the NASA example makes it a moot point.

I was going to say a citizen can't hire the post office to deliver on Sunday, but maybe they can if the price is right.

I appreciate the feedback.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

ashgromnies posted:

White vinegar and water might be a good idea, or look up a pickle brine recipe online, it's not hard to make, but you probably don't want your pickles drying out.

Brine ratios:
2 3/4 C vinegar (any kind)
3 C water
1/4 C sea salt (make sure it's not iodized, because that makes the pickle juice cloudy!)

Boil to get the salt in solution, pour over pickles, refrigerate

You can also spice it if you want to add some flavor. Add some garlic cloves or coriander or whatever you like.

Thank you and everyone else who responded. =)

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

socketwrencher posted:

I was going to say a citizen can't hire the post office to deliver on Sunday, but maybe they can if the price is right.
They deliver on Sunday during the holidays.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not seeing that option...it lists "Unpurchased" and then the other options are categories, like Home, Health and Beauty, etc...

Quoting myself here so on the off chance anyone ELSE was puzzled by this, here's the answer.

Tl;dr: Amazon removed the ability to see items purchased from other people's wishlists fairly recently, for reasons unknown. Seriously, it was ALREADY THERE, why did they remove it?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm trying to troubleshoot a weird issue with the clipboard on my work laptop. Right now, if I copy anything (image or text) from any program and then shift focus to my Outlook, it clears the clipboard. If I work in a single program or anything that's not outlook, clipboard behaves like normal.

Is there some program that will give me a "live" look at my clipboard?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
from googling, it looks like an issue with outlook.

quote:

Go to File > Options > Add-Ins. At bottom, click Go next to COM Add-ins, and see if you have the Send to Bluetooth Add-in enabled

and disable it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

TheLastManStanding posted:

Pretty sure they do all year if you choose the right level of service. I've ordered stuff on Amazon on Friday with two-day shipping many times and got it delivered by a USPS truck on Sunday. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but at one time Loma Linda, California got regular mail delivery on Sunday instead of Saturday because most people in the city are Seventh Day Adventists.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I get Amazon packages on Sunday all year long, not always, but depending on unknown factors. But I never get anything else from any sender on Sunday. Just Amazon.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The one thing I like about ad block plus is being able to right click things and block them even if they aren't ads. Is there any app that'll let me do that when browsing on my android phone?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

TheLastManStanding posted:

Ah, so maybe it's just a standard thing then, I thought it might be an exclusive arrangement with Amazon or something. Thanks.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Volume posted:

The one thing I like about ad block plus is being able to right click things and block them even if they aren't ads. Is there any app that'll let me do that when browsing on my android phone?

Not as such. There are a few ad blockers on android but most require your device to be rooted to work, as they modify the hosts file and you can't do that without root.

I believe AdBlock Plus has an android utility that doesn't require root. It requires routing all your data through a proxy, so you'll be adding latency. Not sure how much, I use AdAway (requires root). It blocks every ad - or, at least, I haven't seen any web ads since installing it - and I haven't tried blocking some other element like a random photo, so I'm not sure if it can do that.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
All my fonts on SA look like this all of a sudden when I browse via RDP to my Windows 8 PC at home. Didn't have this problem until about 3 weeks ago, I haven't changed anything that I can think of. What gives? poo poo hurts my eyes.

Other sites are fine, apps are fine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dragyn posted:

All my fonts on SA look like this all of a sudden when I browse via RDP to my Windows 8 PC at home. Didn't have this problem until about 3 weeks ago, I haven't changed anything that I can think of. What gives? poo poo hurts my eyes.

For what it's worth, I have the same fonts problem, except worse.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Dragyn posted:

Ctrl + Mouse Wheel Up?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dragyn posted:

RDP can have problems properly rendering subpixel smoothed fonts. It's complicated to fix it, because ti changes between vearious versions of host and client computer, but that should be enough to search on.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I'm having a pedantic argument with someone that I obviously want to win.
A guy I know ran an organization for many years and used an email address for both official correspondence and personal missives.
It also happens to be the email that is associated with their home internet access. The organization may or may not have paid for that internet at some time but they certainly don't now. His name is Bob now.

The address has a somewhat uncommon English word as the username. That word is also part of the name of the organization and is used informally when talking about the organization.
An analog would be if Bob worked for a French-Indian War reenactment group called the Sandusky Chroniclers and used the email address chroniclers(at)timewarner(dot)com.

He was sort of forced to resign, though the parting is mostly amicable. That email is Bob's primary (only, as far as I know) email so he is continuing to use it until someone helps him transition to a new one.

A couple weeks went by and it never got switched and he's still using it. Mostly because I was out of the country and never helped him but he said someone else is helping and it just hasn't happened.
Another person, still with the Chroniclers, is now making a stink that he needs to cancel that email or surrender it to them. Pertinent parts of two of his several emails:

quote:

"I do need to make one correction, as it was mentioned to me in your email, that this is Bobs personal account and that we shouldn't be trying to have it shut down. Unfortunately, its not Bobs account, for as long as he has the name of the Chroniclers as part of his personal email address, then its a Chroniclers account, of which he should not be making any communications"

quote:

...Bottom line, Bob still using a shared email address is preventing us from using the address as responses are returned to Bob..."

Yes, I know that Bob should have had a separate email and yes, I know that he could easily be switched over, avoiding any stink but now I'm just getting irritated with this guy emailing me making some claim on an email with an isp domain name.

Of course Bob should stop using it, and maybe it is unethical in some way to continue using it, but it's still his choice right?
He could choose to use it as much as he wants for as long as he wants.

Yes, these people are all old.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

regulargonzalez posted:

Ctrl + Mouse Wheel Up?

I've tried playing with zoom, sadly it's not that simple.

Nintendo Kid posted:

RDP can have problems properly rendering subpixel smoothed fonts. It's complicated to fix it, because ti changes between vearious versions of host and client computer, but that should be enough to search on.

Thanks, I'll see what i can find with that search term. Googling for "fonts look like poo poo on Somethingawful over RDP" isn't exactly useful.

edit: Fixed it with these tips: https://lonesysadmin.net/2011/09/12/how-to-fix-google-chrome-font-rendering-issues/

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 23, 2014

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Schweinhund posted:

from googling, it looks like an issue with outlook.

and disable it.

Huh. Didn't find that before, but it's worth a shot. Thanks very much.

Very Strange Things posted:

Old Jackass with email

There are no winners here. Here's the one question I have - Did Bob set up this email before or after being head of this organization? It doesn't really matter, but just curious.

Since you aren't using real names and info, I'm going to make a more amusing example. Let's say Bob registered KKKGrandDragon @gmail.com. Lets say he uses this for both business (FAQs about being a white supremacist and keeping black people down) and personal use (signing up for recipe exchanges and sending chain mails). Now, all of a sudden, he's kicked out of the KKK for having a black friend. He's no longer the Grand Dragon of the KKK.

It doesn't matter. He still has the password and user name for that account. Yes, he's stupid for mixing his personal and business emails, but he's done so on a public domain. He is not GrandDragon @KKK.org. If the domain were set up to be @chroniclers.org and his email was info@, then yeah, you could make a stronger argument that Bob should release it. But they didn't set up a domain. They used a domain belonging to another entity, and just came up with a user name.

Guy number two (who is now Dave) has two options in this scenario - 1) Suck it up and go for KKKGrandDragon1 or 2) set up a new email with a free service so now he can be chroniclers@gmail or @yahoo or wherever. He can request, that since Bob is no longer affiliated with the group that he pass any business emails along to the new, correct address. But no, Dave cannot make Bob give up his email. It's kind of a pain in the rear end for Bob to go through, because now he has to change all his stuff, come up with a new email address, work with Time Warner, make sure all his personal contacts get the message, etc. If Bob wants to be nice, he can go through all that crap, but he doesn't have to. As long as he's not badmouthing anyone who sends him legitimate business email, or acting like he's in charge of the group still, and he's doing his best to get messages where they belong, he's fine.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I want to know what is the most time recorded in a single videogame. I would have thought there was some morbid neckbeard competition for this sort of thing but apparently not.

The most I could find was somebody posting on 5th May 2014 a screenshot of a playtime in WoW of 1579 days. The post also says that that only covers their main account, implying they may have several others. Generously assuming they played from the very day of release (unlikely), that is an average of 11 hours per day, every day, for almost 10 years. The screenshot also has the total amount of levels raised by characters in game as 5470, so that isn't just idle time.

Can anybody do better? Seem to be a bunch of people with at least 1000 days played, but there's always worse when it comes to this sort of thing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Jeza posted:

I want to know what is the most time recorded in a single videogame. I would have thought there was some morbid neckbeard competition for this sort of thing but apparently not.

The most I could find was somebody posting on 5th May 2014 a screenshot of a playtime in WoW of 1579 days. The post also says that that only covers their main account, implying they may have several others. Generously assuming they played from the very day of release (unlikely), that is an average of 11 hours per day, every day, for almost 10 years. The screenshot also has the total amount of levels raised by characters in game as 5470, so that isn't just idle time.

Can anybody do better? Seem to be a bunch of people with at least 1000 days played, but there's always worse when it comes to this sort of thing.

It'll be tough to compare mmos with other game types in any event. 11 hour per day average, sure, but maybe 8 hours of that is bottling. I'd think a \played of even a third of that time in something like dota would be more impressive (if that's the right word).

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

regulargonzalez posted:

It'll be tough to compare mmos with other game types in any event. 11 hour per day average, sure, but maybe 8 hours of that is bottling. I'd think a \played of even a third of that time in something like dota would be more impressive (if that's the right word).

Yeah, if you're folding MMOs in, and counting game-reported time, remember there are professional gold farmers and botters who are likely logged in whenever the server is up, 24/7.

I'd imagine we're getting to the bottom of why nobody has bothered to tally this up. It's a murky distinction of dubious value and nebulous criteria.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Huh. Didn't find that before, but it's worth a shot. Thanks very much.

There are no winners here. Here's the one question I have - Did Bob set up this email before or after being head of this organization? It doesn't really matter, but just curious.
After. He had an aol address before and used it a little during but now only uses the disputed one.

quote:

Since you aren't using real names and info, I'm going to make a more amusing example. Let's say Bob registered KKKGrandDragon @gmail.com. Lets say he uses this for both business (FAQs about being a white supremacist and keeping black people down) and personal use (signing up for recipe exchanges and sending chain mails). Now, all of a sudden, he's kicked out of the KKK for having a black friend. He's no longer the Grand Dragon of the KKK.

It doesn't matter. He still has the password and user name for that account. Yes, he's stupid for mixing his personal and business emails, but he's done so on a public domain. He is not GrandDragon @KKK.org. If the domain were set up to be @chroniclers.org and his email was info@, then yeah, you could make a stronger argument that Bob should release it. But they didn't set up a domain. They used a domain belonging to another entity, and just came up with a user name.

Guy number two (who is now Dave) has two options in this scenario - 1) Suck it up and go for KKKGrandDragon1 or 2) set up a new email with a free service so now he can be chroniclers@gmail or @yahoo or wherever. He can request, that since Bob is no longer affiliated with the group that he pass any business emails along to the new, correct address. But no, Dave cannot make Bob give up his email. It's kind of a pain in the rear end for Bob to go through, because now he has to change all his stuff, come up with a new email address, work with Time Warner, make sure all his personal contacts get the message, etc. If Bob wants to be nice, he can go through all that crap, but he doesn't have to. As long as he's not badmouthing anyone who sends him legitimate business email, or acting like he's in charge of the group still, and he's doing his best to get messages where they belong, he's fine.

Sigh. I just talked to him and he actually wants to just continue using it. It's very likely he will be badmouthing some members of the group, probably won't go out of his way to redirect mail, but he most likely would never represent himself as running the group or even being involved. I wonder where that leaves him; I know copyrights are pretty much assumed these days.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Sigh. I just talked to him and he actually wants to just continue using it. It's very likely he will be badmouthing some members of the group, probably won't go out of his way to redirect mail, but he most likely would never represent himself as running the group or even being involved. I wonder where that leaves him; I know copyrights are pretty much assumed these days.

I'm generally in favor of adults acting like adults. Maybe talk to the guy and directly ask that he forward any professionally-related emails to the right person, and make sure he lets people know that he is no longer affiliated with the group?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I just talked to him and he actually wants to just continue using it. It's very likely he will be badmouthing some members of the group, probably won't go out of his way to redirect mail, but he most likely would never represent himself as running the group or even being involved. I wonder where that leaves him; I know copyrights are pretty much assumed these days.

Copyright has nothing to do with it. If the organisation's name is trademarked then they might be able to take him to court over misuse of their trademark? But is it really worth it? The address isn't associated with their domain, they can create a new address very easily and just start using that. And remember in the future to not let anyone use the official email as a personal account.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
I'm considering obtaining a second bachelors degree and noticed that anyone who already has a BA/BS is ineligible for federal grants. Does anyone know if that generally makes you ineligible for school based aid as well?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

eternalname posted:

I'm considering obtaining a second bachelors degree and noticed that anyone who already has a BA/BS is ineligible for federal grants. Does anyone know if that generally makes you ineligible for school based aid as well?

Yeah the financial officer at whatever school you're thinking of attending knows that. That is something that will vary from institution to institution.

Also, pro-tip to anyone who wants 2 bachelor's degrees: do them simultaneously for this reason.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I can speak from personal experience that you're still eligible for subsidized (the goodless bad kind) student loans.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

A family member is insisting to my mother, re: making turkey soup, that once a food item (a soup or a sauce) has been boiled, it is "sterilized" and can safely sit on the counter at room temperature for days on end. He says boiling for 5-6 minutes kills any bacteria that may be present.

I've taken food safety courses and I know just from common sense that this is bullshit (unless you're canning). But I can't find anything I can specifically point to as an authority on this particular sticking point. Anybody have a good resource? If I find something, I might be able to convince my mom that the guy's not necessarily correct about the benefits of Multi-Level Marketing, either.

~*~Happy Holidays!~*~

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Max22 posted:

A family member is insisting to my mother, re: making turkey soup, that once a food item (a soup or a sauce) has been boiled, it is "sterilized" and can safely sit on the counter at room temperature for days on end. He says boiling for 5-6 minutes kills any bacteria that may be present.

I've taken food safety courses and I know just from common sense that this is bullshit (unless you're canning). But I can't find anything I can specifically point to as an authority on this particular sticking point. Anybody have a good resource? If I find something, I might be able to convince my mom that the guy's not necessarily correct about the benefits of Multi-Level Marketing, either.

~*~Happy Holidays!~*~

How about the USDA? It's quite conservative but my understanding is that boiling food to soup temperature doesn't kill all types of bacteria or all of the bad kind of bacteria, and since it only takes one or two individual organisms to fill a hot, protein rich environment with like, death, it's not worth the risk.

I'd think believing in mlm would make him less believable in everything else, rather than not understanding how bacteria works making his mlm bullshit less likely, though.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Max22 posted:

~*~Happy Holidays!~*~

Canning works because you sterilize the jam or whatever and the container and seal it all at once. Leaving something in an unsealed, previously unsterilized container on the counter doesn't accomplish two of the three things that canning does. The goods that you canned are only good for long term storage until the container is opened. Then they will spoil at the normal rate.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Max22 posted:

~*~Happy Holidays!~*~

i sell fish and people are REALLY bad at understanding how to not poison themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Max22 posted:

~*~Happy Holidays!~*~

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...-140-f/ct_index

quote:

"Danger Zone" (40 °F - 140 °F)

Leaving food out too long at room temperature can cause bacteria (such as Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella Enteritidis, Escherichia coli O157:H7, and Campylobacter) to grow to dangerous levels that can cause illness. Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F, doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. This range of temperatures is often called the "Danger Zone."
Keep Food Out of the "Danger Zone"
Cooking
Storing Leftovers
Reheating
Keep Food Out of the "Danger Zone"
Never leave food out of refrigeration over 2 hours. If the temperature is above 90 °F, food should not be left out more than 1 hour.
Keep hot food hot — at or above 140 °F. Place cooked food in chafing dishes, preheated steam tables, warming trays, and/or slow cookers.
Keep cold food cold — at or below 40 °F. Place food in containers on ice.