Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
you guys can't fool me into studying maths outside semester

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Seagull posted:

you guys can't fool me into studying maths outside semester

Curses, I'll get your GPA up next time Seagull. NEXT TIIIME.
/

EDIT: Dr. Claw, BSc (Hons) PhD

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 22, 2014

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
84 here. And I've got an accounting degree.

Why be numbers hard :(

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Got 100 here, although the gun control question was a bit of a guess since i wasn't exactly sure what they meant by the numbers.

Implants
Feb 14, 2007
The mammogram question is a common intro to Bayesian reasoning question. It's tricky because it's not in line with how people are generally taught to conceptualise statistical trials in basic high school stats and stuff. That said, if you've ever studied any sort of epidemiology or stats for any of the health sciences you've probably seen it. I can't remember the exact number but like well over two thirds of practising doctors get it wrong.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

In the version I did that question was about carbon pricing. I'll be interested to see if the results match the ones here: http://politicalirony.com/2013/12/09/politics-trumps-math/ (I assume they will).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Senor Tron posted:

Got 100 here, although the gun control question was a bit of a guess since i wasn't exactly sure what they meant by the numbers.

I think that one might have been a trick question. The way it's asked, both answers are right, because both the 'increase' and 'decrease' numbers are higher among the cities that banned them.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

open24hours posted:

It's a pretty well validated test. That question is the hardest one.

Numbers refer to the percentage of people who get the question right.
faculty.psy.ohio-state.edu/peters/lab/pubs/publications/2013_WellerEtAl_RashNumeracyScale.pdf

A lot of those questions assume that covariance is zero, which may not necessarily be true; especially when the questions relate to gambling. I know it is for basic competency, but it also simplifies how gambling actually works (the existence of gamblers fallacy).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I think that one might have been a trick question. The way it's asked, both answers are right, because both the 'increase' and 'decrease' numbers are higher among the cities that banned them.

That's why i i didnt't quite understand it. I ended up assuming it meant some cities saw an increase while others saw a decrease, and those numbers were the average increases or decreases.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

open24hours posted:

It's a pretty well validated test. That question is the hardest one.

Numbers refer to the percentage of people who get the question right.
faculty.psy.ohio-state.edu/peters/lab/pubs/publications/2013_WellerEtAl_RashNumeracyScale.pdf
Q15 aka the hubris question.

chyaroh posted:

That mammogram question made my brain hurt. It's been far too long since I've studied any kind of maths, and stats was never a major part of it. I still managed to score 91% though.
Bayesian probabilities is the foundation for about a third of my thesis, and I still spent ten minutes getting the wrong answer before it clicked. Screw statistics so hard.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm glad you guys are all saying that was hard because I got 64 :(

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So was the correct answer to the mammogram question 81 out of 90?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Tasmanian Senator Jacqui Lambie has made a dramatic entry into the debate over who wields power in the Prime Minister's office, declaring that the PM's chief of staff Peta Credlin 'wears the pants.'

In an interview with The Weekly, Senator Lambie described Prime Minister Tony Abbott as having 'no guts' and 'no balls' after he twice cancelled plans to meet with her before Christmas.

Senator Lambie says that she believes the PM developed a fear of powerful women while attending an all-boys school.

"Females scare the crap out of him but he's going to have to grow a pair because he has to deal with me," she said. Senator Lambie, a 44-year-old single mother of two, took up a seat in the Senate in July. Elected as a member of the Palmer United Party, she is now an independent, focused on veteran's rights, Tasmanian jobs and national security.

"My vote's important so if I was Tony Abbott, I'd be saying: Hey, Jacqui Lambie, let's have a cup of coffee," she told The Weekly. "But he can’t do that, can he? Because he doesn’t wear the pants. The female in his office (chief of staff) Peta Credlin – she's the one that wears the pants.

"That's another thing with those blokes from the all-boy schools: they can only deal with one powerful female at a time. They need that powerful female to push the other females away.

"So now the bastard is saying: 'I don’t have to meet with Jacqui Lambie' but guess what? He does have to meet with me, because we are going to have to work together. Fair enough, he got elected - but I got elected, too."

Senator Lambie met Tony Abbott for the first time earlier this year, shortly after describing him as a psychopath. She told The Weekly the meeting was awkward.

"Tony Abbott has no social skills," she said. "To me, he's like a cardboard cut-out. You put him here, you move him there. He told me how he had injured himself during some fire fighting exercise. I had to stop myself from saying: 'Harden up, girlfriend'.’"

Senator Lambie, who may well be the only female parliamentarian ever to hold a tank licence, said that Mr Abbott had cancelled two planned meetings with her, before Parliament rose for Christmas. She was hopeful of a meeting before Christmas.

Senator Lambie came to the interview with The Weekly in jeans she picked up for $8 from Kmart, with a soft pack of tobacco in her handbag and a determination to be heard.

She is closer in her life experience other working class Australians than almost anyone else in Parliament.

She spoke candidly to The Weekly on a variety of topics, including mental and physical health problems that forced her out of work; her parents' divorce; her (now cured) addiction to pharmaceuticals; her regular use of Botox and fillers to improve her appearance; and her belief that parents should never stay together for the kids, that being the 'coward's way.'

Senator Lambie said that her own parents separated when she was 13.

"It didn't sort of bother me," she said. "We were told the night before, and Dad moved out the next day. Basically what happened was, there was a lady, and Dad would take us around to her house and she had pictures of me and my brother (Bobby) on her mantelpiece.

"I said to Mum, why does this lady have pictures of us on the mantelpiece? And Mum said: 'Where does this lady live?' And it was basically from there that Dad left and now he's on his third divorce and living in a caravan so he's not had the best luck in that regard."

The family home was sold and Senator Lambie remembers her Mum "sitting on a packing box, saying we are going to have to move into housing commission. But it was alright. I knew a lot of kids who lived in housing commission because we all went to Don College (a local high school in Devonport) and I remember Mum telling us it doesn’t matter where you live it's what’s inside."

Senator Lambie said she had been taking money from her suddenly regular pay packet – she had not worked for a decade, before entering Federal parliament – and paying off her credit cards.

"I'm still renting," she says, but the Senate job pays '$195,000 plus, plus, plus (expenses)' so she is now saving for a house.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So was the correct answer to the mammogram question 81 out of 90?

9 out of 19 if you had the same version as me.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Preserve this entire article in amber. Every last word.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Amoeba102 posted:

Fairly certain this is the answer I chose.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Jacqui Lambie cops a lot of poo poo from literally everywhere, but she should become some sort of modern folk hero just for being Tony Abbott's kryptonite.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Lambie and Palmer (and PUPs/ex-PUPs in general) seem to wake up in the morning and flip a coin: if it's heads, they're going to be loving awesome, if it's tails, they're going to be utter shitheads. I always love it when they are awesome. :allears:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
93.4, I flunked maths in high school which is why I went into law.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Even though I got 100, I think some of them were just throwing extra numbers and statements at you to confuse you. Some of them were more logic based than actual stats. I actually think it was a good test for seeing if people can cut through the bullshit that gets thrown at them by politicians/advertisers.

The only issue I would have is that I think that Greens voters are more likely to be tertiary educated - which would influence their ability to perform this kind of test.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Freudian Slip posted:

The only issue I would have is that I think that Greens voters are more likely to be tertiary educated - which would influence their ability to perform this kind of test.

Isn't that the point of the test?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

lol

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Amoeba102 posted:

gently caress, I figured if the test was correct when testing positive 9 out of 10 times and she tested positive, she'd have a 9 in 10 chance of having cancer. And that the other stuff was there just to obfuscate that.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 22, 2014

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

NTRabbit posted:

Isn't that the point of the test?

Yeah - I agree that the point of this test is to look at whether people of certain parties are better at answering these sort of questions. However, I don't think I got 100 because I believe we should look after refugees a whole lot better. I got 100 because I have been educated to answer these sort of questions.

I am just pointing out that
1) progressive thought and education correlate
2) education and the ability to answer these types of questions correlate

and this is what I believe is the cause of Green voters answering these questions better.

Edit: Whereas if we ran a Voight-Kampff test - I would put that the differences down to Tories being unable to empathise

Double edit: It will be more interesting to see the results once level of education has been taken into account

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 22, 2014

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress, I figured if the test was correct when testing positive 9 out of 10 times and she tested positive, she'd have a 90% chance of having cancer. And that the other stuff was there just to obfuscate that.

It also said that out of the 90 women without cancer 10 would receive a false positive. So out of 100 women 19 would get a positive result while only 9 would actually have cancer.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Graph Starts at 65% and ends at 85%. As a graph fan I woud like to hurt the person who made that graph. Also that "very conservative" sample size is tiny.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

where are the error.bars.on the graph?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got 95, and I'm pretty sure I just got the nuclear power plant question wrong because it's late and I was too lazy to figure it out so I just clicked one of them.

Score one for the uneducated (high school only) but very progressive.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amoeba102 posted:

For a test that appraised people on using statistics, I'm pretty disappointed with their statistical analysis. :catstare:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

This progressive got 93.4%

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Amoeba102 posted:

Presumably it's dealing with the total testing population rather than extrapolating, so no need for error bars as the data is absolute. Made me shiver, though.

Also, yeah, drat dodgy ordinate scales :argh:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does anyone know anything about this, or has heard anything like it?

quote:

Heres a story I have been told recently………There is a government programme called ‘Jet Care’. It provides payments for people (approved – doing courses or the like) to have child minding costs covered (in part) while they are doing things relating to the approved course.Programme has been running a number of years – is paid out by Human Services on application by individuals.Human Services don’t know if person is doing course approved by education, and assume that tax is keeping an eye on disbursals to individuals (and service providers). Has miniscule numbers of compliance investigation people and higher priorities to be sussing out after reducing these types as an efficiency dividend. Has no overall programme budget oversight. Education approve courses but not childcare providers – assume tax or Human services are keeping an eye on outlays and have ditched their compliance people completely as an efficiency dividend. Has no overall programme budget oversight.Tax assumes that Human services and Education are monitoring disbursements to individuals and it only has to keep an eye out for people committing some sort of tax fraud. Has minimal numbers of compliance investigation types and no overall programme budget oversight.A group of migrant from one particular nationality becomes aware that nobody checks service providers, and nobody checks outlays to service providers. People set themselves up as service providers for people over the street, around corner friends relatives etc and make good money. Lone Human Service compliance type becomes suss about one family claiming lots of jet care. Realises that service provider is similar nationality. Runs check to see if others in a location in Northern Melbourne are also in on scam. Discovers a few streets heavily in on the scam. Calls Interpol to try and get account details and gets sight of large sums being moved from Australian accounts offshore. Human Services, Tax and Education all become aware of gap in their operations. Federal Police strike up task force to suss out recipients (many of whom appear to have become ostentatiously wealthy since arriving in Australia – some of whom have moved to other nations, with funds potentially being used to support interests hostile to Australia). Federal Police listen in on phone calls using translators and realise translators are in on scam. Quick investigation is run on same nationality in entire Sydney suburb, finds 20 times number of instances. Someone twigs that another nationality is using programme on massive scale and that many nationalities are using it.Politicians and Administrative types realise that gap in legislation attributing responsibility for oversight of outlays and monitoring of compliance at individual and organisational level cannot rapidly be closed.No public disclosure as yet. Is anticipated to come in 2015. Outlays in suspected overpayment instances involving many millions.I may have some details incorrect but the nub is as related to me recently, the person who told me is close to the action…..

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Those On My Left posted:

This progressive got 93.4%

We are the same. This is disconcerting.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Post-Christmas/Boxing Day Brisgoon Meet

Time: 28th of December, Sunday. 6pm
Location: Jackpot Dining, 55 Elizabeth Street, Brisbane QLD, booking is under the name Auspol

Once again, it's time for Brisgoons to meet and gather to discuss the issues in our lives, such as Anidav's job/Young Labor woes or how to survive living in the worst loving state in Australia (except for SA, because Christopher Pyne) as well as ponder on how hosed we are for the year ahead (at least those of us who are uni students or trying to gain work *coughAnidavcough*). Since the venue is in a central location, there should be no transport woes for anyone (bar another gently caress-off storm forcing QR and BT to shut down services).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm going to die that night.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Senor Tron posted:

It also said that out of the 90 women without cancer 10 would receive a false positive. So out of 100 women 19 would get a positive result while only 9 would actually have cancer.

Pretty much. This is something that people don't readily get and it's why if you ever take a Stats class they'll spend ages drumming this and other similar things into you. It's stuff that makes sense once you look at it, and at the maths behind it, but which doesn't come to most people intuitively. I've seen so many people who are otherwise intelligent making these kinds of mistakes and refusing to believe it's a mistake because they haven't done anything to do with statistics beyond grade 10.

e: I didn't complete my Maths degree (I'd like to though), but I'd recommend to everyone to at least do first-year stats courses, they're probably the most useful single units you could take at uni.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 22, 2014

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It sounds like total bunk, the second they mentioned calling Interpol and getting to look at accounts I knew it was total bullshit.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

Who told you I was coming to Queensland to kill you?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

OH, I forgot to mention we have a very specific invitation to your girlfriend, Anidav, She may bring a plus one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Haha this is nuts. Race welfare fraud. The friend of a friend is Scott Morrison.

E: where did you find this and can you share more?

• Locked thread