Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Another thing to point out about Sam's position as a servant is that it mirrors the very Christian idea (present in both LotR and Sil) that humility is a great virtue and pride a great (actually the original) sin. So Sam's acceptance of his servile position is like a good Christian accepting his place as a servant of God. That's why Sam ends up the hero of the story.

Not that this makes the books any less classist, it's just one thing that was definitely on Tolkien's mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

End Of Worlds posted:

The fact that the subservient laborer who calls Frodo his Master might be brown does not actually advance the cause of Tolkien Not Being A Racist, dude

Guys it's okay to recognize the deep veins of racism, classism and to a lesser extent misogyny (though that's more an issue of erasure) that run through the Lord of the Rings and still like the Lord of the Rings. It doesn't make you a racist. It was written by a white Catholic Oxford Brit in the early part of the 20th century; neither a time period nor a class group known for its progressive humanist egalitarianism. Tolkien was brilliant but he is ultimately a product of his time and environment, as is LotR.

Seriously, I've never understood this need to argue that works which have problematic elements (like LotR or Lovecraft) are not actually problematic. Yes, they are. It doesn't make you bad for liking them. The drive to defend them and insist that the half-orc swarthy men from the east with their lolling red tongues and grotesque dark skin - that, however, is pretty questionable.

Did Tolkien personally hate black people (as Lovecraft did)? I don't think so, no. Does that matter? Not a lot, not if it isn't reflected in the text. Does his quote about how racism is bad or whatever prove that the swarthy men aren't racist? Not even a little bit.

EDIT:

Also this, which brings me back to the classism issue.

Personally I harp on it because there are so many people trying to Prove Tolkien Was a Racist in the same mold as KKK members. It's not that he didn't have racist stuff, it's just that there's also nuance there and with the changing 20th century and the revelations about the Axis pogroms, I'd be stunned if it wasn't at least a little bit in his mind.

I guess I'm just really sick of seeing the Tumblrinas parroting talking points ad infinitum on and off the net. College freshman syndrome extended way past its expiration date.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, that's the thing and why I think the "Sam was Ethnic" theory above has a little weight; I'm not sure we can just dismiss it as American misinterpretation. Class and race aren't entirely separate notions in Tolkien's world -- the upper-class hobbits all seem to be Fallohide, with correspondingly fair hair, etc. And that view of inherited social class, "blood," was part of Tolkien's worldview and (let's face it) part of his contemporary English worldview for that matter (probably stretching all the way back to the divide between the Normans and Saxons, if not before).

The difference between aristocratic Frodo and working class Sam is reflected in Gondor as well with Aragorn the racially pure Dunadain and...everyone else? who are stated to be racially different from the Númenóreans. And it's not like they always get treated as lesser beings in need of being patronized. The Rohirrim are very well respected in the books and they were only tangentially related to the colonists. Sam is a simple guy but the quest hung on his humility and dedication to success, it wasn't all about his idealized relationship with Frodo. He also wanted to protect the Shire. And as mentioned, Legolas et Gimli, breaking barriers for gay elves and dwarves everywhere.

So it was a repeating theme, that racial differences are there but also don't determine what kind of person you are. Sam is not good in spite of his racial and class level and upbringing, he is good because he is different, because it arms him against evil in a unique way that Frodo didn't have. The Rohirrim are noble and treat their prisoners with respect because they are Rohirrim and that they aren't Númenórean doesn't negate that. They are good because they choose to be.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this anymore expect to echo that it's more complicated than parroters make it seem, and that the reaction of "Tolkien was not racist" is more of a reaction to idiot Americans wetting themselves and trying to force their narrative of racism on other people, where they try to cast Tolkien as something he wasn't.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Did Tolkein ever provide commentary on the Eagles? Given how often ":downs: hurr why don't the Eagles fly The Ring to Mount Doom?" is brought up, did Tolkein ever provide an explanation or even come out and admit 'yeah that's a plot-hole, my bad?'

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SirPhoebos posted:

Did Tolkein ever provide commentary on the Eagles? Given how often ":downs: hurr why don't the Eagles fly The Ring to Mount Doom?" is brought up, did Tolkein ever provide an explanation or even come out and admit 'yeah that's a plot-hole, my bad?'

The official Tolkien-sourced explanations range from "they won't fly over land where men are, because men shoot at them with bows" in The Hobbit to a very convoluted argument about how the Eagles are essentially Angels (just like Gandalf!) and are thus to some extent bound to non-interference. Then there's the problem that the Eagles would have been very visible targets (just like the Nazgul proved to be).

There's also this fan theory over on Reddit, which is basically that Gandalf meant to Go Eagle the whole time but it all fell apart in Moria.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 19, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The Eagles were just assholes

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

SirPhoebos posted:

There's a bit from a letter he wrote regarding a Lord of the Rings film treatment:

Letter 210 posted:

I think [the Eagles] are a major mistake of Zimmerman, and without warrant. The Eagles are a dangerous "machine". I have used them sparingly, and that is the absolute limit of their credibility or usefulness. The alighting of a Great Eagle of the Misty Mountains in the Shire is absurd; it also makes the later capture of Gandalf by Saruman incredible, and spoils the account of his escape. One of Zimmerman’s chief faults is his tendency to anticipate scenes or devices used later, thereby flattening the tale out.

At the bottom of the page, the Eagles are again introduced. I feel this to be a wholly unacceptable tampering with the tale. “Nine Walkers” and they immediately go up in the air! The intrusion achieves nothing but incredibility, and the staling of the device of the Eagles when at last they are really needed.

So basically, yeah, they were a deus ex machina even in his mind, but only to be used when they're really needed (which if you want an in-universe reason, you could argue is also Manwe's reasoning).

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

SirPhoebos posted:

I always just assumed that a) Eagles are really conspicuous and flying the Ring into Mordor would sabotage the whole stealth angle, b) the Eagles play a thematic role as divine grace: the unhoped-for intervention of God at the moment of greatest need, when one has expanded the fullness of one's strength in the cause of righteousness and can no longer go on, and c) that would kill the plot.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 19, 2014

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Regarding Tolkien and race, there's also the fact that race was regarded pretty differently in England at the time - it wasn't just black, white, brown, etc. It was "the English race", "the German race", "the Jewish race", every country and culture - what we might today think of as an ethnicity - was considered to be a separate "race". The idea of the Welsh, Cornish, English, and Scottish people all living together on the island of Britain might easily inspire the idea of Stoor, Fallohide, and Harfoot Hobbits living together in the Shire.

All Tolkien's Free Peoples had this kind of thing going on, too. The various western Mannish peoples all trace their lineage separately back to the three First Age tribes of Men who fought against Morgoth. The Elves have their various peoples categorized by how far they got on the journey to Aman before they called it quits or came back, and the Dwarves have seven distinct clans based on which of the Fathers they are descended from, who all live in different parts of the world.

It's part of the paradigm of anthropology of Tolkien's era. We think differently about race today.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

End Of Worlds posted:

I always just assumed that a) Eagles are really conspicuous and flying the Ring into Mordor would sabotage the whole stealth angle, b) the Eagles play a thematic role as divine grace: the unhoped-for intervention of God at the moment of greatest need, when one has expanded the fullness of one's strength in the cause of righteousness and can no longer go on, and c) that would kill the plot.
Even internally to the story and ignoring any supernatural stuff, I'm sure the Eagles knew about the Ringwraiths' pterodactyl pals, plus all the orcs with arrows. Packing the ring-bearer onto an eagle makes the fate of all of Middle-earth depend on the fine details of an aerial engagement. I would not be shocked, of course, if there were eagles WATCHING Sam and Frodo and that perhaps if they'd been cornered somewhere out in the open, there might have been a mysterious night-time eagle-sized orc-murder. Indeed that would help justify how come they hauled rear end so hard pretty much the moment they saw Frodo in the End Zone.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The Eagles were closely associated with Manwe and were his messengers so I just assume that they probably wouldn't have been down to transport the ring because the Valar made it clear not to help the people of Middle-Earth and "solve all their problems" for them. I would imagine the Eagles would have picked up on that or been told that directly.

I mean yeah it's still a big plot hole that Tolkien never fleshed out in any substantial way but that's how I explain it to myself.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Re: Sam being not white, I think whoever pointed out the American/English divide is right. As an American, race and class are so strongly tied historically that describing Sam as being brown skinned immediately reads as a different race to me. I'm sure English readers fall more strongly on the tanned white laborer side just due to their perception of class relationships in general/in the time Tolkien was writing. I'd be curious to see what perception of Sam a reader from a non majority white country has.

Unrelatedly, can the Eagles fly across the sea or are they stuck in middle earth? Their noninvolvement in most of the war of the ring might make more sense if they could just peace out if Sauron won.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Early in the Silmarillion it said that hawks and eagles and other birds would fly in to Valinor to bring news to Manwe, so I guess they could gently caress off and fly away if they wanted to.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lord Hydronium posted:

There's a bit from a letter he wrote regarding a Lord of the Rings film treatment:

So basically, yeah, they were a deus ex machina even in his mind, but only to be used when they're really needed (which if you want an in-universe reason, you could argue is also Manwe's reasoning).

Interesting, I had no idea a film version was being considered when Tolkein was still alive. Any place I can find more details?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The official Tolkien-sourced explanations range from "they won't fly over land where men are, because men shoot at them with bows" in The Hobbit to a very convoluted argument about how the Eagles are essentially Angels (just like Gandalf!) and are thus to some extent bound to non-interference. Then there's the problem that the Eagles would have been very visible targets (just like the Nazgul proved to be).

There's also this fan theory over on Reddit, which is basically that Gandalf meant to Go Eagle the whole time but it all fell apart in Moria.
And, of course, this.

Personally I see it that any flying thing that size would want to stay pretty close to mountains rather than trying to take off from flat ground, which would mean a route going right past Isengard/the Gap of Rohan and then flippetyflap along the White Mountains to Minas Tirith and a hop over to the Ephel Duath right in line with Minas Morgul - they couldn't make themselves more obvious if they tried. Sneaky hobbit commando mission was definitely the smart move.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

SirPhoebos posted:

Interesting, I had no idea a film version was being considered when Tolkein was still alive. Any place I can find more details?
You've never seen the Gene Deitch 1966 version then? King Bilbo FTW! (More details here)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One more complicating thing to note on the Frodo/Sam master/servant dynamic is that, to my recollection, Frodo never ordered Sam to do anything (aside from the highly dramatic moment of telling him to go home). In fact I can hardly think of him even asking a favor in a "be a good fellow and" kind of way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Data Graham posted:

One more complicating thing to note on the Frodo/Sam master/servant dynamic is that, to my recollection, Frodo never ordered Sam to do anything (aside from the highly dramatic moment of telling him to go home). In fact I can hardly think of him even asking a favor in a "be a good fellow and" kind of way.
By the time they reach Bree it's pretty clear that Sam is in it for the duration and is committed to Frodo personally, even if their relationship is rooted in a long-term master/servant relationship. Frodo doesn't seem to be an rear end in a top hat so he's not telling Sam to do all the poo poo-work (although I imagine Sam did do more than his share). It would have been rather telling to Gandalf or Aragorn if Frodo DID start cursing out Sam and ordering him around, wouldn't it?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The other reason why not the Eagles is because Sauron had an air force.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

The other reason why not the Eagles is because Sauron had an air force.

Yes, but how large was the air force? We only know of the fellbeasts (correct me if I'm wrong). I guess it's possible Sauron had other creatures being cooked up in his lab, but the Eagles should surely outnumber the fellbeasts.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Honestly wtf do you think sauron would do if he saw 100+ eagles comin' his way. I bet he fuckin' expected a frontal airborne assault. Also eagles gotta stop for fuckin' food and such. Love the smell of bird poo poo in the morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPT3RFTpSUw

Screaming Eagles, airborne! Hooah!
gonna bag me a motherfuckin orc

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oracle posted:

It was a social signifier. Back in the day, if you were tanned it meant you worked outdoors and thus were some kind of field hand or manual laborer ergo less-than. If you had milky white skin and soft hands you could afford to sit around inside all day and do nothing therefore must be rich/upper class.

Ironically enough, it switched sometime in the Roaring 20s where office work/factory work all day made you pale and sickly while having the free time to lay in the sun and work on your tan meant life of leisure.

And this is still a thing in most developing nations (China being a prime example), to the point where they use umbrellas to keep the sun out as much as they keep the rain out (think similar to Gone with the Wind).

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I'm fairly familiar with LotR and the Hobbit, but I've just never been able to stomach the style of the Silmarillion, although I am fairly familiar with some of the stories, or at least the broad strokes therein.

So what's all this about, then, that I have heard of there having been like literal APCs and missiled and ironclad battleships at Numenor and/or the Fall of Gondolin. If Sauron had these, then, why isn't he busting them out during the Ringwar or the Battle of the Last Alliance?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't know what you are reading. There is no mechanized warfare.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yeah, the closest you'll come to APCs are siege towers.
Numenor probably had pretty sweet ships though, maybe mythril-clad if they were feeling particularly gratuitously wealthy, or it was a King's Flagship.
Most of what we know of Numenor comes from the appendices and the Silmarillion.

Does anyone else like the theory that the Arkenstone was related to the Silmarils somehow? I always pegged it as a lesser work that Feanor chucked into a handy volcanic chasm because he didn't like it.
One Silmaril in the sky as a star, one in the molten earth, and one in the sea. Shouldn't the sea one have made its way back to Valinor by way of the Sea-God? Maybe they're keeping it for the remaking of the world.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The Silmarils are destined to be lost until the Final Battle and then they figure into the next coming somehow. But not even the Valar know what is to become of them I think, except maybe Manwë.

The Arkenstone was found under the Lonely Mountain but since it was cut and polishes by the dwarves that puts the relation to the Silmarils in doubt. Nothing textual really supports it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

euphronius posted:

I don't know what you are reading. There is no mechanized warfare.

He probably read an excerpt from the Book of Lost Tales II which had some early drafts of the Fall of Gondolin, he did write mechanized warfare in there at one point:

quote:

...beasts like snakes and dragons of irresistible might . . . Some were all of iron so cunningly linked that they might flow like slow rivers of metal or coil themselves around and above all obstacles before them, and these were filled in their innermost depths with the grimmest of the Orcs with scimitars and spears; others of bronze and copper were given hearts and spirits of blazing fire, and they blasted all that stood before them with the terror of their snorting or trampled whatso escaped the ardour of their breath; yet others were creatures of pure flame that writhed like ropes of molten metal, and they brought ruin to whatever fabric they came night, and iron and stone melted before them and became as water, and upon them rode the Balrogs in hundreds; and these were the most dire of all the monsters which Melko devised against Gondolin.

But all of that was eventually removed.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 20, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I'm fairly familiar with LotR and the Hobbit, but I've just never been able to stomach the style of the Silmarillion, although I am fairly familiar with some of the stories, or at least the broad strokes therein.

So what's all this about, then, that I have heard of there having been like literal APCs and missiled and ironclad battleships at Numenor and/or the Fall of Gondolin. If Sauron had these, then, why isn't he busting them out during the Ringwar or the Battle of the Last Alliance?
Sauron probably had some kind of magical-ish stuff that was basically bombs and the Numenoreans were incredibly good at naval warfare (if without gunpowder; they clearly had no problem with long sea voyages). That's about as far as it goes.

If you want a fan origin for the Arkenstone: Perhaps it was an effort to make something like the Silmaril they put in the dwarven necklace and then tried to keep, and to some extent they succeeded?

pixelbaron posted:

He probably read an excerpt from the Book of Lost Tales II which had some early drafts of the Fall of Gondolin, he did write mechanized warfare in there at one point:

But all of that was eventually removed.
Yeah most of that stuff sounds like "dragons"

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Orcs and Wizards both had some kind of explosives: http://middle-earth.xenite.org/2013/02/07/is-there-gunpowder-in-middle-earth/

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Wasn't part of Saruman's arms program (for want of a better expression) the development of gunpowder? Or is the memory of the second LOTR film distorting my memory of the book?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There is an explosion in Helm's Deep, yes, but it is attributed to sorcery rather than fireworks. Gimli and some men of Rohan are driven back into the glittering caves by the breaking of the wall, and you don't learn they lived until the battle is over. Gimli's helm is split by an Uruk blade, but he comes out singing because of the aforementioned glittering caves. I choose to believe Gandalf knew how to make what we would think of as fireworks and Saruman grabbed a few and learned the explosives part but ignored the 'is pretty and blows up far in the sky safely' part.

Does anyone know of any decent fanwork that expands on Galadriel's story?

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 21, 2014

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

^ Yes, of course. I forgot about Gandalf's famous fireworks....

E: Did the dwarves of Moria also have explosives. All that stuff about delving too deeply and unearthing the Balrog etc - did some of that come about through gunpowder or just greed?

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 21, 2014

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Wasn't part of Saruman's arms program (for want of a better expression) the development of gunpowder? Or is the memory of the second LOTR film distorting my memory of the book?

It's not spelt out what the 'blasting fire from Isengard' is exactly, but the gunpowder interpretation is pretty obvious what with Saruman's theme of industrialization. It might also be a reference to Paradise Lost, which has Satan inventing cannons to use during the war in heaven (I think there might have been an existing tradition of the devil inventing gunpowder that Milton was drawing on as well.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

^ Yes, of course. I forgot about Gandalf's famous fireworks....

E: Did the dwarves of Moria also have explosives. All that stuff about delving too deeply and unearthing the Balrog etc - did some of that come about through gunpowder or just greed?
I presume they just mined like dwarves mined, though I guess inferring some kind of advanced diggology to explain those huge-rear end hauls and undermountain kingdoms makes sense. Then again, maybe dwarves are just really good at digging and breaking up rock.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VanSandman posted:

I choose to believe Gandalf knew how to make what we would think of as fireworks and Saruman grabbed a few and learned the explosives part but ignored the 'is pretty and blows up far in the sky safely' part.

I have always thought that Gandalf's mastery of fire, both in explosive pine-cones and in pretty fireworks, was a result of his bearing Narya, the Ring of Fire.

From a fantasy epic standpoint, what is the practical difference between gunpowder and sorcerous "blasting fire"?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Isn't there a mention somewhere of other fireworks though (maybe Dale-made?) that aren't as good as Gandalf's? Not to say that his aren't the best because of Narya, but it would imply that gunpowder is a general thing that exists.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

I have always thought that Gandalf's mastery of fire, both in explosive pine-cones and in pretty fireworks, was a result of his bearing Narya, the Ring of Fire.

From a fantasy epic standpoint, what is the practical difference between gunpowder and sorcerous "blasting fire"?
Any random with the ingredients and the formula can make gunpowder?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Things in Tolkien are called "magic" because humans don't know how to do them. Elves and, to a lesser extent, dwarves don't distinguish between magic and nonmagic things.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Things in Tolkien are called "magic" because humans don't know how to do them. Elves and, to a lesser extent, dwarves don't distinguish between magic and nonmagic things.
Yeah, Galadriel calls this out explicitly. I suppose the dwarves must have at least some basic knowledge of gunpowder if they made all those fireworks... still, it's been used for fireworks much longer than it was used as gunnery fodder.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Runcible Cat posted:

Any random with the ingredients and the formula can make gunpowder?

That's true in the real world, but in Middle-Earth it is a new, mysterious, awful thing that (along with all of Saruman's industrialization) is viewed with distaste at best and horror at worst by the author, and which no right-thinking character would make or use as a weapon of war.

EDIT: I'm saying that from a thematic standpoint, they are the same thing.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

That's true in the real world, but in Middle-Earth it is a new, mysterious, awful thing that (along with all of Saruman's industrialization) is viewed with distaste at best and horror at worst by the author, and which no right-thinking character would make or use as a weapon of war.

EDIT: I'm saying that from a thematic standpoint, they are the same thing.

The distinction is that while actual magic sorcery is dangerous and horrific, its also a known (or at least semi-known) quantity which the characters and their world can deal with. Saruman's technology represents a new threat, something that can move the world into a whole new epoch and completely overturn the existing societies. The characters aren't aware of this, but to the reader it indicates that what will happen if the bad guys win is something worse than just tyranny.