Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack. - Rule of Acquisition #109

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want an 'underground railroad' doff that has a 50% chance to switch any nearby poor Orion Slave Girls into real clothes.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

The skant is real!

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Post it in that Design a DOFF thread already.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
I remember my doff named Puto.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
50% off clothing packs. By Grabthar's hammer, what a savings.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Bluegeek mad.

BLUEGEEK please read posted:

When closing threads you refer to this:

“Creating threads or posts that question or reference administrative decisions or potential administrative decisions, such as post removals and thread closures, is not permitted.”

Okay, I will not argue that point. However, I respect the mods here but I need to ask, how were either of the sig threads in violation? Can you link a specific example from the forum rules which specifies "Signatures will not contain graphic or profane imagery or text, or suggests that anything Cryptic does isn't great"?

In fact, can you link the entire forum rules? I can't seem to find them and, to be honest, they really should be immediately available for every user. Maybe I just can’t see them…

Nowhere in here does it suggest or infer that users can not create a thread to show off signatures. Nor does it suggest that signatures can not be in relation to disagreement or disappointment in the game. If such a rule exists I’d like to see it please.

We have the right to express ourselves in non-inflammatory and non-profane means any time we wish. If the “DOOOM” thread can be allowed to continue despite the obvious and continued violations for which other threads have been closed, then I simply have one request in regards to the rules. Good for one, good for all.

*** Therefore I demand you either CLOSE the DOOM thread and any like it or allow the signature threads to continue as long as there are no profane images or text in accordance with the forum rules. Some will not like this. That’s life. But to be blunt, the mods can not swing a bat around freely and not hit everyone without giuving the impresison of favortism or personal grudge.

I am sure this thread will be closed – I fully expect that. However, I also fully expect you to read this post in its entirety and respond via PM as, one would hope, you see this not as a rant but the genuine request for clarification and equality that it is.

bluegeek posted:

Closed. Not going to waste my time debating with certain people.

Edit: the revolution continues here and here (until bluegeek notices them and closes it down).

Aleth fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 23, 2014

Preechr
May 19, 2009

So they deleted 40 costume slots, and I don't even know what the offending one was. Probably the Skant. Fortunately, I have them all saved, so recreating them is easy.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The skant has always been feared

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Preechr posted:

So they deleted 40 costume slots, and I don't even know what the offending one was. Probably the Skant. Fortunately, I have them all saved, so recreating them is easy.

:aaa: what. The. gently caress?!
What changed in cryptic to start doing these things?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Calling dynov!

Back in that recording booth sir!

"Events of this weekend on the forums highlight why players get in trouble. Behavior going against the call for humane treatment of ourselves and others embedded in the legacy of Star Trek by its creator, Gene Roddenberry.

I am no less capable of this than others. Knowing the full potential of aggression, I value peace.

It is easy to be angry and hostile. Some provoke these reactions, others react when provoked. There are many who call for peace and love, others to which that motto is simply an excuse to take advantage of those who lower their guard. That is why I apprise equal opportunity, because I believe people have as much right to react to wrongs being committed, as the wrongdoers who believe they have the right to commit evils in the first place.

In other words, let's not use the internet and STO to harass each other. Common sense, no?

So far I have not doxxed, spammed anyone's channels, or been any of the countless vicious things haters frequently ascribe to me, though I am fully able of doing so. Many like to accuse me of things - unfit for repetition here - and then attack me further if I call out actions which lead to my own reactions, as if defence is some sort of crime; while they knowingly proceed to break all boundaries of humanity. By contrast, though I have experimented with the methods others have used first, I choose to restrain my own reactions time and time again.

Sometimes it feels I am the only adult in a place full of underdeveloped minds, with little comprehension of reality and less of humanity.

We all know of the attacks on Olivia lately. But she isn't the first to experience attacks, nor I for that matter; though I am the first I know of to maintain a video diary, useful among other things, for disproving rumors said about me or others. It caught so much more. Videos no one has seen until this weekend, in which I could have released alot more damaging information, but did not. THAT is restraint.

Others have as much power of restraint as I do. I call upon those who use harassment, doxxing, impersonation and all forms of psychological exploitation to restrain themselves. Withdraw impersonating accounts, videos of online shaming providing proof of their shameful ways which only serve to harm themselves.

Though I have full right to post evidence, I have taken the first step and took the few videos I did put up documenting their behavior down. On the other hand shameful videos posted for doxxing are up. If they are on the side of love, peace and helpfulness like so many claim, then they have no need to resort to evil tactics that even guys they paint as bad (me), don't do.

There are those who say I have never been helpful, never used common sense. To them I say common sense is proven by deeds, not talk. I have done my share and continue to do so.

I call everyone to spread this message. Let us show restraint in abusive behavior on STO, not with lip-service but with action. Take down doxxing videos, cease harassment. It is the right thing to do to honor Roddenberry's legacy this holiday season. Thank you."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

SugarAddict posted:

:aaa: what. The. gently caress?!
What changed in cryptic to start doing these things?

It is obviously why the players are getting bored and leaving instead of pointlessly grinding for tech upgrades

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

skant is canon. this is racism.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
So, I keep getting private challenges from this Saint Olivia character. This happening to the rest of you guys too?

az
Dec 2, 2005

playboy hired a nerd to watch some star treks

http://www.playboy.com/articles/star-trek-episode-guide-part-one

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

i hope you enjoyed my work

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Best episode description on that page, "Riker gets busy with some space Irish."

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

alfheimwanderer posted:

So, I keep getting private challenges from this Saint Olivia character. This happening to the rest of you guys too?
Since you evidently haven't been following the latest STO forums drama, some kid created a bunch of throwaway accounts with names that resemble 'famous' STO players like Olivia, and has been using a macro to challenge-spam various people.

As far as I know it's not a goon doing it, but it's still all Dental's fault somehow.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

g0del posted:

Since you evidently haven't been following the latest STO forums drama, some kid created a bunch of throwaway accounts with names that resemble 'famous' STO players like Olivia, and has been using a macro to challenge-spam various people.

As far as I know it's not a goon doing it, but it's still all Dental's fault somehow.

It's not a Dental, however some of us have spoken to him. Just ignore the challenge, it'll go away and won't do anything to disrupt your gameplay, despite what the pubbies are screaming.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

hello sean

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Acer Pilot posted:

hello sean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax6yYP_9Voc

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Ahahaha I just copped my first ever STO forum ban, coming back just in time for Christmas. :v:

quote:

You have been banned for the following reason:
Flaming/Trolling
Date the ban will be lifted: 12-25-2014, 09:00 PM

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Hahaha, which one of you posted the AotC puff piece?

quote:

I went to externity channel once. I didn't see much in the way of help being offered by the official members and such. What I did see though filled me with shame.

AOTC was there and was trying to engage with the members of the channel. He was ignored. This struck me as both sickening and saddening beyond description. It also put lie to any claims of being a legitimate help channel, here's AOTC - a guy who's probably forgotten more about this game then most of us (devs included) will ever know, a legendary player, someone supremely qualified to help people, and he's ignored.

Really. You guys should have been thanking him and humbly asking him for help. I don't know most of the posters in this thread and yet I'm pretty confident that the only person posting here who's in his league of skill and knowledge would be cesbot. I mean, if I had started a help channel, and I really wanted to help people, and homeboy graced my ranks, I'd beg him to be an admin. I'd turn the channel over to him. Dude. Seriously.

For those of you who shamefully don't know who AOTC is/was, as I don't know if he even plays the game anymore, in the old days there was very little info about how to set up a ship correctly available to the general public. There was basically Husnak's old thread and then Hilbert's guide. Hilbert's guide was set up though just to teach you how not to suck, how to set up basic macro's and make a decent build using free ships and mission rewards. It was extraordinary and probably the most helpful thing ever made for this game. AOTC and his guildmates though came in and showed the general public how to go to the next level. How to set up a lockbox ship, which ones are ideal, how to run aux2batt, what those things are, what stf sets to use on what ships, how they work, how to excel. Myself and many other players were deeply indebted to his builds and the generous sharing of knowledge.

That's just some of the things he contributed to this game. I would imagine there were times he knew more about this game then a lot of the devs. Some of his lasting contributions include opening 1,000+ lockboxes to get sample sizes and arrive at basic probabilities of getting ships, information he shared with the public and has made it's way into the sto wikis and the like. This is a player coming from a guild who's understanding of the game code was sufficient that they made improvements to things like the launcher and loot critter, some of which the devs even implemented. And he was totally ignored in this Externity help channel. No one said as much as hello to him, let alone answered his questions.

I would add that unlike others, he's never asked for any kind of credit for this stuff. He never created chat channels or fleets in his name. He didn't ask for gratitude. To the contrary he tried to organize pretty serious large scale give away events but was met with resistance from PWE.

That a legend within STO was treated that shabbily by the original poster and his fleet were all I needed to see. I left the channel without saying a word and never went back.

I'm not connected to AOTC, I've never been in a guild or raided with him, I doubt he would even recognize me ingame. I think the last time I saw him around prior to the chat channel was the day we first got the party balloons in droz a few years ago and had the geometry breaking party to end all parties. Yet he helped countless players, myself and my friends included, and for that I am grateful. Sean, I would emphatically advise you to emulate his example.

:911:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Given how it seems they are caving to more delicate player's sensibilities due to steadily losing more and more players, it makes me wonder if STO is going down the same route that Second Life took, and will eventually become a hellhole for ERPists, furries and other horrid types and no one else while the game fades into obscurity.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Ludicro posted:

Given how it seems they are caving to more delicate player's sensibilities due to steadily losing more and more players, it makes me wonder if STO is going down the same route that Second Life took, and will eventually become a hellhole for ERPists, furries and other horrid types and no one else while the game fades into obscurity.

It's going there pretty fast already, these money making changes turned the game from the most casual friendly F2P MMO down the road to yet another Korean grindfest. If it keeps up the game will be dead in a year.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

g0del posted:

I looked at the thread briefly, but after seeing how people were whining about the game being made unplayable by having to play in RPG mode and the inane fingerpointing by the pubbies, I kind of marked it as useless. Figured it had to be a macro, since no one is that obsessed with stalking me (hopefully). Just wondering if whoever it was was targeting Dentals specifically, or if Olivia was getting into the swing of things in a misplaced quest for revenge

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ludicro posted:

"Eventually become?" I'm pretty sure that's been Cryptic's entire business model since CoH. :raise:

Korgan posted:

It's going there pretty fast already, these money making changes turned the game from the most casual friendly F2P MMO down the road to yet another Korean grindfest. If it keeps up the game will be dead in a year.
Pretty much. It's PWE looking at maximizing short-term profits at the cost of the game's health, bleeding the whales without thinking of how to acquire new ones as time goes on. I look at Neverwinter, I recall the massive population at launch, and then how almost all of it bled away within the first month as people quickly realized how bullshit the F2P crap in it was. With PWE responding by adding more of it over time, since hey they knew they had suckers. It just makes me wonder how much more they could have make if they actually ran with a casual, accessible fantasy MMO with that kind of momentum.

A part of me worries that Delta Rising actually did make more money than LoR due to all the bullshit despite the noticeable drop in players right afterwards, giving PWE no reason to back down or reconsider.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Got an apology for this morning's little mix-up. Unfortunately, the costumes they deleted really are gone- they can't retrieve things like that. On the plus side, I did have them backed up, so no real loss. I now have 50 costume slots :toot:

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!

Asimo posted:

A part of me worries that Delta Rising actually did make more money than LoR due to all the bullshit despite the noticeable drop in players right afterwards, giving PWE no reason to back down or reconsider.

I have no doubt Delta Rising has already made more money than LoR did in its entire run. But if the monthly (or however they measure it) revenue hasn't already SHARPLY declined, it will after Christmas. I'm sure over the next few months we'll see more zen sales, more giveaways and more shallow attempts to retain the whales than they normally do. Of course, they'll do absolutely nothing to actually bring players back, just make the cash transactions more appealing.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I'm positive that Cryptic knows a lot of the changes were poorly received, a lot of players have quit or cut back on spending, but they can't do anything about it due to edicts from PWE (or at least, someone unfathomably incompetent high up at Cryptic). For all of Cryptic's flaws, they've always been good at making casual, accessible MMOs, and the past few years have been nothing but improving the player experience in STO. But... if Delta Rising did make a lot of money, they just don't have any leverage to make big changes back to the old status quo. UItimately PWE only gives a gently caress about the money being made, not the number of people playing, despite the fact it's the latter that leads to the former.

Speaking from anecdote, four friends of mine got into STO over the years after hearing me talk about it, and all of them basically threw their hands up and stopped playing either right before or shortly after the expansion hit. And I can't see any of them coming back without massive apology-level changes from Cryptic. The game is absolutely brutal to casual players right now and it's basically an impossible grind or a horrendous cash sink if you aren't already space rich. Hell, I am space rich (even if I'm definitely the poorest Wesley) and I can barely keep my main character up to date in gear and specializations, I've basically had to shelve my klank and romulan characters to contraband mule hell. The amount of time and cash you'd need to spend as a new player to get one character competitive - not even top tier, just with a T5U/T6 ship, MkXIII gear, specialization points, reputations, etc. - is staggering. This isn't sustainable, and the business tactics reek of something a crapsack forgettable asian MMO would do to bleed the last bit of cash from its whales in its dying months, not what you'd do with a previously healthy and growing game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think you're underestimating just how much money the targeted whale population spends vs the average player.

They're after those people who spend 900 Euros on lockbox keys, don't get the ship they wanted, and keep playing and spending more money anyway. Why? Because they have compulsive addictive personalities and/or a strong emotional attachment to their "investment" and don't understand sunk cost fallacy.

The average player who doesn't do that? They're just window dressing for the real customers and infinitely replaceable by random casuals who are just starting the game. They won't even realize the massive endgame gear treadmill exists until they reach it.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I was pretty shocked at the egregious costs introduced with the upgrade system. As if it weren't bad enough before...

With a healthy population of free players the whales have someone to feel better than, justifying their expenditures to themselves. If you make it so the masses quit before they make it anywhere, the whales won't find it so necessary to be kings of a ghost town.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I think you're underestimating just how much money the targeted whale population spends vs the average player.

They're after those people who spend 900 Euros on lockbox keys, don't get the ship they wanted, and keep playing and spending more money anyway. Why? Because they have compulsive addictive personalities and/or a strong emotional attachment to their "investment" and don't understand sunk cost fallacy.

The average player who doesn't do that? They're just window dressing for the real customers and infinitely replaceable by random casuals who are just starting the game. They won't even realize the massive endgame gear treadmill exists until they reach it.
Thing is, the whales were already doing that anyway. There wasn't any changes to the lockbox systems or special promo drop ships in DR, so Cryptic could have kept on with that forever and still got the smaller sums from the casual players. Except for whatever reason PWE decided to up queue difficulty and add massive upgrade cash sinks in order to try and bleed everyone dry, and... well most people just quit. The big secret to P2W MMOs is that you need that large player base to keep the game healthy; they're disproportionately funded by whales but you never know who might be a whale, and the more players you have the more whales you'll hook since the fraction of the player base stays consistent but the overall numbers grow. And even the biggest gambling addict whales will eventually give up if there's nobody to flaunt their wealth to.

Mondian posted:

I was pretty shocked at the egregious costs introduced with the upgrade system. As if it weren't bad enough before...
Seriously, when Wesleys are saying the upgrade costs are bullshit, they're really loving bad.

EDIT:

There's the erosion of goodwill due to the changes to consider too. The best example is probably specializations... I honestly trust Cryptic when they say they intended them to be a long-term grind and something to reward regular play over the next few months. Sure, it fucks over alts pretty hard, but that's really the sort of mistake Cryptic's made multiple times in the past and it's one they always eventually fix over time like they did with rep sponsorship or the event ship discounts. (Assuming PWE will let them fix it this time, anyway.)

But... because of the other blatant player-hostile bullshit that came in with DR, nobody wanted to look at it like that. Every aspect of the system was seen through the lens of the grind to 60 that required repeated patrol farming, the quasi-exploits of the Tau Dewa patrols as people desperately farmed them to try and get to the next plot missions and then realized it worked just fine for grinding spec points at 60, and of course the massive overreaction from Cryptic when the metrics came in and showed a subset of players being way ahead of the planned curve. Something that should have been a harmless net positive to the game suddenly became something that made players quit, stop spending money, or both. If I were in charge of Cryptic right now I would be panicked and bending over backwards to try and mend bridges, and the fact they're not doing so and the devs and CMs keep dancing around the topics quietly implies there's dissent in the ranks.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 23, 2014

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013
Frankly, the costs are not the only issue.

It used to be that earning EC and dil was "fun" and not really anything painful to do.

These days, doing most of the ques just feels like a loving chore thanks to wonky glitches and failure mechanics, not to mention that pugs just cannot even be done most times due to those same reasons.

Essentially it all went from casual and fun to feeling like some sort of secondary job, which is why I'm slowly going broke and just spend my day in areas I can troll in, as it's the only real "engaging" activity left.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I feel like they would go a long way towards fixing things if they drastically increased the skill point rewards for completing the queued events. As it goes, grinding specialization is unavoidably mind numbing and upgrading gear is outrageously expensive, but if people had a reason to queue up it might just revitalize things a bit.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ludicro posted:

they did the right thing on snowballs, didnt push the snowball nerf onto the live server

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Mondian posted:

I feel like they would go a long way towards fixing things if they drastically increased the skill point rewards for completing the queued events. As it goes, grinding specialization is unavoidably mind numbing and upgrading gear is outrageously expensive, but if people had a reason to queue up it might just revitalize things a bit.

Most definitely agreed. As it stands it's too much work for too little rewards. XP you get more repeatedly grinding the same mind numbing patrols and those gear upgrade costs are simply off-putting for most people.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Hi my name is butts and 13 of my 23 accounts are currently banned.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Goat Pillager posted:

Most definitely agreed. As it stands it's too much work for too little rewards. XP you get more repeatedly grinding the same mind numbing patrols and those gear upgrade costs are simply off-putting for most people.

They wouldn't lose much throwing us a bone with the xp... those skill point boosts are so outrageously priced no one buys them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Mondian posted:

They wouldn't lose much throwing us a bone with the xp anyway... those skill point boosts are so outrageously priced no one buys them anyway.

I had a few from some giveaway/promo code rewards ages ago and think they took upwards of a month to sell off.

• Locked thread