Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Do they drink from the bowl or the stream falling?

She drinks almost exclusively from the black plastic part right at the top of the stream. That is, if she's not sticking her paws in the dish and licking the water off her paws. She is not a smart kitty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

ilysespieces posted:

She drinks almost exclusively from the black plastic part right at the top of the stream. That is, if she's not sticking her paws in the dish and licking the water off her paws. She is not a smart kitty.

We have a cat who likes to move the water bowl so it splashes on the ground, and then wash her paws in the cat bowl after taking a dump.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone have experience with a cat being terrified of balloons? I put up some (non-helium) balloons on a string for my nephew's birthday a few years ago and the cat bolted when he saw them. It took about half a day for him to come out of the basement and when he did he was peeking around every corner for a few days. I thought it might've been because the balloons were on a string and moving around a bit from a fan, but I got 2 helium balloons today and he reacted the same way. He's never had any balloons pop around him so it's not that.
It's pretty harmless since balloons are rare in my house but I was wondering if this was common among cats or not.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

redreader posted:

We have a cat who likes to move the water bowl so it splashes on the ground, and then wash her paws in the cat bowl after taking a dump.

I'm just glad that fountain is wayyyy too big for Tali to move on her own, otherwise we'd come home to a sopping wet floor and a pissed off kitty.

She also has to wedge herself between the fountain and the kitchen counter to drink (the fountain is on the floor next to the sink). Even when we move the fountain out a bit so there's more room for her, she sticks herself against the corner and strains to reach the spout.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is from the first day we had the fountain set up. Pudding kept sticking his paw in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9UXW-e4CyM

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

melon cat posted:

Thanks for the info. She's currently on a wet and dry food diet (wet food when we're home, dry food when we leave the house). The litter box is currently covered, so I'll be sure to open it up and see if it makes a difference. And I hear you on the x-ray expenses. Whenever the vet mentions that word I feel my wallet die a little bit.

Is your cat experiencing any side-effects from the anti-inflammatory meds?

My cat has asthma and has an inhaler and does great. The inhaler reduces systemic side effects from steroids. If your cat is coughing that often, it probably is best that he be medicated for it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Braki posted:

My cat has asthma and has an inhaler and does great. The inhaler reduces systemic side effects from steroids. If your cat is coughing that often, it probably is best that he be medicated for it.

Same here. Been on an inhaler for over a year, doing much better.

Also, if your cat is overweight, losing some of that fat can help his asthma immensely.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

RatHat posted:

Anyone have experience with a cat being terrified of balloons? I put up some (non-helium) balloons on a string for my nephew's birthday a few years ago and the cat bolted when he saw them. It took about half a day for him to come out of the basement and when he did he was peeking around every corner for a few days. I thought it might've been because the balloons were on a string and moving around a bit from a fan, but I got 2 helium balloons today and he reacted the same way. He's never had any balloons pop around him so it's not that.
It's pretty harmless since balloons are rare in my house but I was wondering if this was common among cats or not.

Yeah, I guess they think the balloons are hawks coming to scoop them up or something.

I also once knew a cat that was scared of ceiling fans when they were on.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

SynthOrange posted:

Also once you balk at the price of the carbon filters, you can borrow from the fishkeeping thread and get bulk activated carbon pellets from your local fish store and a mesh bag. Does the same thing and at a tiny tiny fraction of the price.

(crummy cell phone pic, sorry)

I went a step further towards aquarium stuff and I'm actually using a Tetra reptile aquarium power filter in a big cat pan full of water for my cats. Because the tetra medium-size carbon bio-bags are available at Wal-mart and Tetra is an established brand, I'm comfortable knowing that the carbon filters aren't expensive and won't become unavailable due to a model being discontinued.

There are other people who have done this using various power filter types:
https://www.google.com/search?q=homemade+cat+fountain

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
We just took our little cat David Hasselhoff into the emergency hospital because he was not improving and his breathing was becoming faster, although it wasn't at a 'bad' stage yet. We decided to do it before he got even worse, since he wasn't getting better and already needed to be fed via syringe, was taking steroids with no effect apart from him seeming to always be awake, barely moving, not grooming himself. A good friend drove my wife and I to the animal hospital, we said goodbye and now he's gone. I hope his other two cat friends don't get too sad, but one of them had bonded with him so I expect that cat to be pretty sad. My wife and I are not feeling great but making the decision was harder than doing it, and it was for the best.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

redreader posted:

We just took our little cat David Hasselhoff into the emergency hospital because he was not improving and his breathing was becoming faster, although it wasn't at a 'bad' stage yet. We decided to do it before he got even worse, since he wasn't getting better and already needed to be fed via syringe, was taking steroids with no effect apart from him seeming to always be awake, barely moving, not grooming himself. A good friend drove my wife and I to the animal hospital, we said goodbye and now he's gone. I hope his other two cat friends don't get too sad, but one of them had bonded with him so I expect that cat to be pretty sad. My wife and I are not feeling great but making the decision was harder than doing it, and it was for the best.

I'm so sorry :(

Goodbye David Hasselhoff, enjoy Cathalla!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

redreader posted:

I'm sorry for you and the Hoff. Give the other kitties lots of affection and feel better.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Sooo I'm wondering what's going on with my cats.

First one, Little Buddy, started peeing everywhere (with bloody pee) back in September. I took him to the vet, they xrayed and did a urinalysis and said he had urine crystals, I believe struvite. They prescribed some Hill's S/D which I fed him up til the end of November, taking him back for another urinalysis then. His peeing everywhere + bloody pee cleared up within a couple of weeks of feeding him the S/D and he seemed like everything was going good besides the fact that he didn't care much for his food and had to be closed in a room by himself to get him to eat it. They switched him to Purina NF when I went back at the end of November and said they wanted him back for another urinalysis at the end of December because he had urethral irritation from the S/D being overly aggressive (or something like that) and so they were switching his food and said they'd see how it looks when we came back. Well, unfortunately he was hit by a car two days after the vet visit and didn't survive. RIP.

Now in the past week, two other cats (my cat Ballerina and my sister's cat Big Cat) are acting up. They are are peeing in inappropriate places; Ballerina straining for forty seconds-1 minute then only producing a tiny amount of pee and Big Cat peeing normally but with a reddish tinge. I'm going to take them to the vet on my day off Monday (which is getting bloody expensive for what seems like the same problem over again with these ones), but I'm really wondering about the food now. I've been feeding them all Blue Buffalo adult (I forget which flavor) for as long as I've had them (Big Cat probably 4 years, Little Buddy was 1.6 years and Ballerina 1.3 year.) Is there a known issue with Blue Buffalo dry food? Is it the fact that they usually (maybe once or twice a month wet food) only eat dry food? I keep them with plenty of water. Does anyone have recommendations for an issue like this, maybe something with lower protein or something? Cats are bewildering me right now.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Definitely go by what your vet says, but as I mentioned in a previous page my vet advised me that her preference is for cats to eat wet food on a regular basis, because according to her most indoor cats don't tend to drink enough water to keep themselves fully hydrated, and wet food can help a lot with that.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I don't know if it's true but googling Blue Buffalo comes up with lots of people complaining about awful effects from feeding their pets that food. Plus yeah wet food is supposed to be better for cats for urinary stuff.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hawkgirl posted:

I don't know if it's true but googling Blue Buffalo comes up with lots of people complaining about awful effects from feeding their pets that food. Plus yeah wet food is supposed to be better for cats for urinary stuff.

Retards will complain about anything without doing any sort of actual deduction to come up with an actual source of a problem and jump on whatever happens to be an easy to blame culprit. So I would take widespread reports of Blue in particular causing issues with a grain of salt. That being said I don't think as highly of their food as I once did because every single food of theirs has chicken meal, so if you need a novel protein, no matter what you are still getting some chicken filler. Merrick and Canidae are much better options and aren't any more (and often less) expensive. But yeah high protein dry foods can seriously gently caress up older cats kidneys so if you've already had bloody pee issues you'd better go with what the vet recommends. Also consider getting a water fountain, some cats will drink more water if there's a running source. Some cats might freak the gently caress out and drink less though, cats are weird. I always have standing and running options for mine.

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
Haven't had a cat for the last 7 or 8 years, but the last cat was a Burmese. Still miss the idiot.

He was pretty much the greatest cat that ever lived. Incredibly affectionate, fun, intelligent, as well as a handsome boy. I'm a bit worried about the trend with the breed. I do not like this trend towards Burmese with the rounded head. They don't look like a proper cat - they look 'wrong' , like a toy. A cat should have a well-defined, forward-pointing muzzle. They are a predator after all. These round-headed breeds look like they have trouble breathing.

Can anyone explain this trend? I honestly do not understand the appeal. I do not find their pushed-in faces cute or appealing. They don't seem like proper cats to me.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pudding Space posted:

Can anyone explain this trend? I honestly do not understand the appeal. I do not find their pushed-in faces cute or appealing. They don't seem like proper cats to me.

I can't stand the flat-faced cats either, and I don't know why anyone would want a brachycephalic animal, cat or dog. I suppose its popular because they are more human-like faces?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dienes posted:

I can't stand the flat-faced cats either, and I don't know why anyone would want a brachycephalic animal, cat or dog. I suppose its popular because they are more human-like faces?

Pugs are loving atrocities and they make me sad. Half of them can't even breathe and people are like "but omg they look so neat". Anyone who breeds birth defects into an animal for peoples' amusement should be permanently hobbled with a ball peen hammer, because limps are funny, right?

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Pugs are loving atrocities and they make me sad. Half of them can't even breathe and people are like "but omg they look so neat". Anyone who breeds birth defects into an animal for peoples' amusement should be permanently hobbled with a ball peen hammer, because limps are funny, right?

I don't understand the appeal of these 'cats'. They don't look like they could survive a generation in the wild. Take an amazing breed like the Burmese, and reduce it to some flat-faced, round-headed breed that can't use its nose properly, and try to sell it as a robust Burmese - it's a failure. None of them should be classified as Burmese.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
So, since the dog occupation and my cat's single room confinement, I think it's reasonable to get more toys for her. But I can't decide what. On the one hand, my cat likes to hide behind things, and one of her favorite hiding things has recently been thrown out. For this purpose there are tunnels. I've got my eye on either a simple tunnel, or this thing that's called "Hideaway cave", which is a bit of a tunnel, but among other things it has a frame which, I figure, would prevent it from rolling around. However, it's bulkier than the tunnel, plus it seems much less of a hiding spot. On the other hand, the thing that's been thrown out - which perhaps I could simply call "a couch" - also used to supply a perch, and maybe my cat could use a perch, except I don't expect to get much mileage from it as a toy.

Any opinions? (I'm terrible at shopping. :( Help.)

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Pudding Space posted:

I don't understand the appeal of these 'cats'. They don't look like they could survive a generation in the wild. Take an amazing breed like the Burmese, and reduce it to some flat-faced, round-headed breed that can't use its nose properly, and try to sell it as a robust Burmese - it's a failure. None of them should be classified as Burmese.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

DrNutt posted:

Retards will complain about anything without doing any sort of actual deduction to come up with an actual source of a problem and jump on whatever happens to be an easy to blame culprit. So I would take widespread reports of Blue in particular causing issues with a grain of salt. That being said I don't think as highly of their food as I once did because every single food of theirs has chicken meal, so if you need a novel protein, no matter what you are still getting some chicken filler. Merrick and Canidae are much better options and aren't any more (and often less) expensive. But yeah high protein dry foods can seriously gently caress up older cats kidneys so if you've already had bloody pee issues you'd better go with what the vet recommends. Also consider getting a water fountain, some cats will drink more water if there's a running source. Some cats might freak the gently caress out and drink less though, cats are weird. I always have standing and running options for mine.

I appreciate the advice. I've ordered a fountain so they'll have both options and we'll see how the food thing shakes out. Is it the high protein in the food that is very bad, the dryness or just both? Are wet foods typically lower in protein or it's just more acceptable since they're getting fluid down with the protein, to dilute everything?

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

bobula posted:

I appreciate the advice. I've ordered a fountain so they'll have both options and we'll see how the food thing shakes out. Is it the high protein in the food that is very bad, the dryness or just both? Are wet foods typically lower in protein or it's just more acceptable since they're getting fluid down with the protein, to dilute everything?

I've never read anything about high protein being bad for cats. In fact, I'd say that as carnivores their food should have a high amount of protein. It may be other ingredients in the food that would give them issues (fillers and such). You can get some info on what to look out for here: http://www.petsadviser.com/food/what-is-the-best-cat-food-how-to-choose/

Your cats are peeing everywhere? So if you bring them to the vet and rule out an infection or food causing an issue? Cats are weird. The reason most people would say go to the vet first is because if it isn't an infection then it could be any recent changes that are bothering them. At that point you have really narrow down what changes have happened recently and for you it is food and one of their friends is gone. And the food may not be bad for them, but maybe they just don't like it.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

bobula posted:

Wet food is better because it's wet. Cats typically don't drink enough water by itself, since in nature their prey would also hydrate them, so wet food replaces that. It's not a big deal if you use dry food though, but it's definitely preferable to use wet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cats also sometimes can be put on things like baby food if they have increasing kidney problems and it will extend their quality of life out quite a long way.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I always wanted to know where expensive luxury cats come from.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
We're gonna get another cat at the end of January. What is the most humane/ethical place to get it from? The local kill-shelter pound, or the humane society? What should I expect when it comes to price? I take it pound animals are almost free / totally free? We're in San Jose.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

redreader posted:

We're gonna get another cat at the end of January. What is the most humane/ethical place to get it from? The local kill-shelter pound, or the humane society? What should I expect when it comes to price? I take it pound animals are almost free / totally free? We're in San Jose.
Adopting from shelters/humane society should normally be free to about $120ish to pay for neuter/spay and shots. In terms of ethics, I'd say pretty much anywhere but breeders and pet stores that sell their pets rather than doing adoption services(you'll know because they'll be expensive).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bobula posted:

I'm not a vet but high protein diets have often been frowned upon by cats who have already developed kidney issues.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I've had my cat for about 18 months. This weekend she started occasionally swatting her own tail. She'll swat at it a bit, then really go for it and yelp when she gets it.

Is this something to be concerned about? Is she just bored/irritated?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

more like dICK posted:

I've had my cat for about 18 months. This weekend she started occasionally swatting her own tail. She'll swat at it a bit, then really go for it and yelp when she gets it.

Is this something to be concerned about? Is she just bored/irritated?

Sounds like a normal cat to me. One of the cats I had as a kid would do that.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Both of my cats do that now and then. Sometimes they catch their back feet. :3: As long as it's not excessive, your cat's just having a good time. If it is excessive, seek veterinary care.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
That's reassuring. I really freaked out the first time I heard her yelp.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Since yelps are their way of saying "Hey dude that was too rough" during play-fighting, I'm led to believe that when my cat chases his own tail his retard brain is simultaneously thinking "oh man I'm gonna catch this tail and bite the poo poo out of it!" and "OW someone bit my tail way too hard, rear end in a top hat."

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
My kitten got out last night and I haven't been able to find him at all. I've been canvassing the neighborhood, he's not an outside cat. I just hope one of my neighbors brought him inside. Tomorrow is his first birthday :(

The other two cats keep meowing and looking for Buster around the house :(

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 22, 2014

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mezzanon posted:

My kitten got out last night and I haven't been able to find him at all. I've been canvassing the neighborhood, he's not an outside cat. I just hope one of my neighbors brought him inside. Tomorrow is his first birthday :(

:ohdear:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mezzanon posted:

Put some food and water by the door. He'll get hungry eventually.

Right now he's probably hiding under a shrub somewhere, terrified of all the stuff around him. Give him a day or two to come home. I know it will be a hard wait.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Mezzanon posted:

I had a scare like that with my 4 month old kitten recently as well. Seconding the suggestion to put out food and water. Also if you live in a house, check and make sure he didn't get under it somehow. That's where mine was and inspecting the perimeter I still have no idea how the little turd managed to get in there.

Good luck finding your kitty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

Put some food and water by the door. He'll get hungry eventually.

Right now he's probably hiding under a shrub somewhere, terrified of all the stuff around him. Give him a day or two to come home. I know it will be a hard wait.

I have his food and a blanket on the front steps. He hates outside, he's only been out a couple times on a leash and harness and he hated everything. We rescued him from freezing to death when he was just a baby I don't know why he would even want to go outside