Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yuuki is really one of the best parts of BF honestly. I'm glad they also made his voice actor the Char of G-Reco so I can continue enjoying his smarmy-yet-likable attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bloodhounds also had a cool setting with a lot of nice cuts and the excellent music that really added to its atmosphere, which Try hasn't really matched. I rewatched a lot of the first season's highlights, and there's no one distinct thing I can point to (outside of less use of build knuckle) that makes them better. It's more just that everything they do basically across the board is done better, which I guess might come down to animation budget meaning they couldn't spend time on flavor cuts like the Zaku Amazing crushing Build Strike's gun, or rain hitting the Kampfer as it launches or the flickering street lamp. Basically little memorable bits that last a couple seconds at most tended to be what really enhanced the fights. Build burning vs. Destiny is the closest they've come to matching the first season, I think. Too bad the wrong character won, though.

Also yeah, Yuuki is amazing and his brand of incredibly serious goofiness is sorely needed. I can't wait for the next episode just for that to return, even if only for a short time. There's not enough ham in Try.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 21, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ImpAtom posted:

Yuuki is really one of the best parts of BF honestly. I'm glad they also made his voice actor the Char of G-Reco so I can continue enjoying his smarmy-yet-likable attitude.

Holy poo poo, I never even noticed! That's Ameijin!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

BF S1 had fights where the opponents actually had motivations and backstory outside of "wanting to win and kind of being jerks about how good they think they are" which made for more memorable/interesting fights. The clash of background and ideology informed the tactics of the battle. In Try all the fights revolve around "Shoot/punch someone as hard as you can" and it's a lot more limiting.

The only times we're given a window into an antagonist's mindset have been the snap-build fight, the admission by Mega-Shiki guy about his pride, and the race with Creepy Womanizer. And hey, those were some of the better combat sequences in the series. It's not a coincidence that someone called the "cross counter!" in the Destiny fight, or that people were so gleeful about Mirai's "cockpit uppercut," because those episodes set the stage for those scenes pre-battle to make those wrinkles possible and resonant.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I still don't know what to think about those early quotes from the writers saying that they understood there were complaints about Build Knuckle in S1 and that Bloodhounds was one of the most popular episodes.

Request received, processed, and ignored.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

"He named his Astray Sengoku, but he fights with chinese martial arts!"

*nobody else cares*

I don't understand why people think that's so funny. There are two Sengoku periods, one in China and one in Japan, and everybody is more familiar with the Japanese one since it led to the unification of the country.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

I don't understand why people think that's so funny. There are two Sengoku periods, one in China and one in Japan, and everybody is more familiar with the Japanese one since it led to the unification of the country.

The Warring States period in China isn't generally what is referenced when someone uses sengoku period as far as I know and Nil's MS is pretty clearly Japanese-based. I mean, yeah, it is literally "warring states" but sengoku being used in Japanese media has a pretty specific thing it is referring to. It's like how there are civil wars but if something in America refers to "the Civil War" they're talking about a specific one. I mean they're both Sengoku in Japanese because they're both referring to Warring States but it's a joke even in the show that Nils has the most Japanese MS ever but is using a Chinese form of martial arts.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 21, 2014

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The Warring States period in China isn't generally what is referenced when someone uses sengoku period as far as I know and Nil's MS is pretty clearly Japanese-based. I mean, yeah, it is literally "warring states" but sengoku being used in Japanese media has a pretty specific thing it is referring to. It's like how there are civil wars but if something in America refers to "the Civil War" they're talking about a specific one. I mean they're both Sengoku in Japanese because they're both referring to Warring States but it's a joke even in the show that Nils has the most Japanese MS ever but is using a Chinese form of martial arts.

I get the joke, but I get the impression that most people think it's another example of Tatsuya shouting weird stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

I get the joke, but I get the impression that most people think it's another example of Tatsuya shouting weird stuff.

It is an example of Tatsuya shouting weird stuff though. There's no actual connection between fa jin (which is what Nils uses) and the warring states period of China which predated it. It's Tatsuya going "he's using Chinese martial arts despite having a crazy Japanese MS" as if it is significant but it isn't.

I mean I get what you're saying but there's no particular reason to believe the developers were referencing the Sengoku Astray being a double-Sengoku thing as opposed ot it just being a silly joke since there is nothing else about the Sengoku Astray which is Chinese and the fa jin partical-fu doesn't really evoke the warring states era of China at all.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 21, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Lurking Haro posted:

The joke is that it's Tatsuya being a complete :spergin: about the details because he is really, really into gunpla and gundam. That is, in fact, what all of his weirder lines are.

"IS THIS THE LIGHT OF THE HUMAN HEART"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Have you guys forgot this is a show about a show that is used to sell toys?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I do not think anyone has forgotten that, no.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

You may notice one of the complains about the show is "it is not as good at selling toys as the last one" so I don't think anyone forgot that.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
It is just as good if not better than BF at selling toys. I just ordered 3 of the Ez-8s from the Seiren episode because they rule the battlefield. Also I am building a HG Destiny gundam that I plan not to paint to make it show-accurate.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The winning gundam was only 12 bucks on amazon so I ordered that. :3:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

It is just as good if not better than BF at selling toys. I just ordered 3 of the Ez-8s from the Seiren episode because they rule the battlefield. Also I am building a HG Destiny gundam that I plan not to paint to make it show-accurate.

Except this is a case where this isn't a matter of opinion. The toy sales for BFT have been below those of the original series and are weaker than the other airing Gundam show. Aside from a sales spike with the Dom in episode 1 it also hasn't had the "old model sales boost" that BF had more regularly.

Beyond that I'd say the show has done a pretty poor job of emphasizing the fun of building Gunpla which the original show did quite well. That's something even Gunpla Builders did better, but admittedly Gunpla Builders was like 70% shots of people buying and building toys and 30% fighting.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 22, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Except this is a case where this isn't a matter of opinion. The toy sales for BFT have been below those of the orignial series and are weaker than the other airing Gundam show. Aside from a sales spike with the Dom in episode 1 it also hasn't had the "old model sales boost" that BF had more regularly.

I can't help but wonder if having two gundam shows may cannibalize sales. S1 didn't have to compete with another show.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah it may be less fun as a show, but it has some sweet rear end gunpla and made me buy a Destiny. Can't wait for cowboy master throne high five gundam.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
While the show does have nice designs, the main method of advertising them is "it does a cool thing" which, okay, is how most kits are sold. But the lack of any character actually being shown enjoying the core part of the hobby, hell, something in the title even "Build" is solely lacking. It's still very much a commercial but it doesn't do much to make me go "Man, I want to just build a kit".

In the sense that last season, it didn't have to be something that was shown on screen. Just watching the original Build Fighters made me go through my backlog of gunpla and just...build.

Yosuke fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 22, 2014

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I will say this once, a couple of friends and I got around watching episodes 1 to 3 of Try and in the same afternoon they ordered burning gundams and powered cardigans. None of us were into gundam. I only started watching every gundam series 3 weeks back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

I will say this once, a couple of friends and I got around watching episodes 1 to 3 of Try and in the same afternoon they ordered burning gundams and powered cardigans. None of us were into gundam. I only started watching every gundam series 3 weeks back.

Well, that isn't particularly a surprise as it is the first Gundam show you're watching as it airs apparently, and one they're watching without watching any other show. v:shobon:v That doesn't mean it is particularly good at selling Gunpla.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

Unless you all bought like 3-4,000 kits apiece, it's not going to make up the very noticeable shortfall between Try and Build.

Yosuke posted:

While the show does have nice designs, the main method of advertising them is "it does a cool thing" which, okay, is how most kits are sold. But the lack of any character actually being shown enjoying the core part of the hobby, hell, something in the title even "Build" is solely lacking. It's still very much a commercial but it doesn't do much to make me go "Man, I want to just build a kit".

In the sense that last season, it didn't have to be something that was shown on screen. Just watching the original Build Fighters made me go through my backlog of gunpla and just...build.

Build Fighters was insidiously clever as a marketing tool. The downtime between fights showed a large main cast of relatable (or at least entertaining) characters having fun building and working on gunpla, and they flooded the background shots with most of their back-catalogue at every opportunity. Try's not doing as well because it's only trying to push its own model line instead of all of them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Do we have any sources on the actual sales of these kits because the usual sources from last season arent really saying anything and just from anecdotal data from here iand other forums it seems that the kits are selling fine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Mid-season upgrade spoilers:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5dd3zaCQAESLsF.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5dbYklCAAEFjvY.jpg

Winning looks the most changed. Lightning pretty much has a backpack swap and that's that. Build Burning has the plavsky things in different places.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Winning looks the most changed. Lightning pretty much has a backpack swap and that's that. Build Burning has the plavsky things in different places.

Great, SBS times three :sigh:. The Winning looks like it might be capable of actually doing something on its own, but that backpack's gotta be another Winning Road. Also, all three look like they've got particle capabilities in some form or other. The Lightning doesn't have big transparent sections like the other two, but if you look very close at the backpack, that's the 0-Raiser.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kanos posted:

I was expecting Lightning to get a new backpack given that his suit didnt really have it at first and its an addon you buy, so switching that part is easy. Winning looks very different though and its not just the backpack. The entire core looks different, the feet look different and all the edgy green parts. The burning looks like it was just tuned with a lot more plavsky cores around the arms, shoulders and skirts. Haha thinking about it it makes sense since thats where he's suffered the most damage so far.

e-I'm thanking whoever decided to change the designs of the burning for the animation/models because the concept design looks so loving ugly.

e2- Wait its actually called Star Winning Gundam. Fumina channeling Sei.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 22, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Star Winning Gundam, Lightning Back Weapon System mkII, and Try Burning Gundam.

Well it's good the upgrades finally got announced. I don't understand why they missed the expo, but eh.

EDIT: Seems the running theory is that the Star Winning Gundam can either turn into a regular 1/144, or that it can turn into armor for other kits.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Star Winning Gundam, Lightning Back Weapon System mkII, and Try Burning Gundam.

Well it's good the upgrades finally got announced. I don't understand why they missed the expo, but eh.

EDIT: Seems the running theory is that the Star Winning Gundam can either turn into a regular 1/144, or that it can turn into armor for other kits.

It's absolutely going to be the second, I think. You can kind of see the transformation gimmick on the lineart this time.

That said, Try Burning honestly looks really ugly to me. The Extra plavsky panels throw off the colors in a bad way. Maybe it'll come across better in the show.

Edit: Oh god, wait. Is the Star Winning Gundam channeling the dreaded return of TRANSPARENT PARTS? Those wings totally call to mind the Beginning 30.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 22, 2014

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ImpAtom posted:

That said, Try Burning honestly looks really ugly to me. The Extra plavsky panels throw off the colors in a bad way. Maybe it'll come across better in the show.

Yeah it's just not as clean of a design. Though I wasn't big on Star Build Strike until I saw it animated so maybe it will work out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Don't forget that half the time the panels are going to be orange.

Also, like Cao Ni Ma mentioned, whoever is animating the Build Burning ditched the concept art long ago for RD proportions. It's actually kind of silly since the actual HGBF looks nothing like the thing on the show, but eh.

If you don't know what I mean by RD proportions, have a look. HGFC on the left, RD on the right.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

http://imgur.com/LMIl3Fm

This is how theoretically a 1/144 Star Winning would work. Looks pretty baller.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hmmm.

I wonder if this is an SRX situation actually. That doesn't look like a full transformation but it does look like how the the R3 carries a bunch of parts on its back for a super robot gattai.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I can see the arms, legs and the lower torso half, it's possible a smaller head could be inside the really huge SD one.. I don't see where it has the hip to knee section, unless they are able to be pulled up from the 'leg' part of the thrusters. There does appear to be ball joint slots if you zoom in enough.

Holy poo poo I want that to be the real trick for it though, I will totally buy an SD -> HG gimmick model.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

http://imgur.com/LMIl3Fm

This is how theoretically a 1/144 Star Winning would work. Looks pretty baller.

There's a gimmick to the back of the SD head, by the looks of it. I'd wager the "HG" head's in the SD's, and the upper legs descend from the torso.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I can see the arms, legs and the lower torso half, it's possible a smaller head could be inside the really huge SD one.. I don't see where it has the hip to knee section, unless they are able to be pulled up from the 'leg' part of the thrusters. There does appear to be ball joint slots if you zoom in enough.

Holy poo poo I want that to be the real trick for it though, I will totally buy an SD -> HG gimmick model.

Yeah, the only thing missing are the extra ball joints but I'm guessing the wizards at bandai have a plan since I wasnt really expecting winnings kit to actually replicate knuckle/gun modes. I'm doubting its armor/gattai unless bandai designed the other two suits in advance for that. The backpack itself still looks like it can work as enhancements in similar way as winning could, with the extra "leg" parts functioning as gun boosts and the arms/"center core" being knuckle/claws.

-Also where does it store its full size weapons? Someone else carries them (Yuuma in his backpack?). Of course not, its going to be some quid pro quo where Fumina upgrades the burning and in turn Sekai teaches Fumina Jigen Haoh so we can finally get the Love Love Tenkyoken :getin:

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... wait, if they're upgrading soon (which seems likely as SBS upgraded at this point) does that mean we're never actually going to see Winning's buzzsaw shield?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, the only thing missing are the extra ball joints but I'm guessing the wizards at bandai have a plan since I wasnt really expecting winnings kit to actually replicate knuckle/gun modes. I'm doubting its armor/gattai unless bandai designed the other two suits in advance for that. The backpack itself still looks like it can work as enhancements in similar way as winning could, with the extra "leg" parts functioning as gun boosts and the arms/"center core" being knuckle/claws.

No, I don't think it's for the other two. The Lightning's too integrated to chop-and-change pieces because of it's flight mode, and the Star BBG's too upgraded to have dumping parts make sense.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Moving away from Star Winning for a bit, I do like how the Lightning Back mkII incorporates some ZZ into its design. Maybe it's a sign that Yuuma's going to lighten up????

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, I wonder...

If the Star Winning Gundam really does turn into a full-sized model,. I wonder if it was because of animation problems? It would explain a lot about how they've been handling Winning Gundam if they've had a hard time doing good choreography and animations with an SD suit against a full-sized suit. Despite it being a completely absurdly complex model kit gimmick if they do it, it might be a Gundam-00 style 'upgrade that almost makes it easier on us in the anime.'

BlitzBlast posted:

Moving away from Star Winning for a bit, I do like how the Lightning Back mkII incorporates some ZZ into its design. Maybe it's a sign that Yuuma's going to lighten up????

It looks more 00 Rasier to me. Maybe he's going to start shouting GUNDAM constantly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a gimmick to the back of the SD head, by the looks of it. I'd wager the "HG" head's in the SD's, and the upper legs descend from the torso.

I hadn't thought about the leg joints coming from the current torso section, that is pretty interesting. That hollow of a torso will be really weird for engineering I bet but god drat I want to see a kit of that.

• Locked thread