Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I have to ask how many people who worry about their 'unlimited' data actually use a ton of data?

I have unlimited and I usually use 2.5 - 3.5 gb a month. It's still cheaper for one device.

I could theoretically save money by going in on a Mobile Share with my brother, but that would probably just end up with me paying his bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

The 15gb isn't being audited? I would have been offering that to everyone!

I wouldn't be proactive on offering it.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

I wouldn't be proactive on offering it.

Sounds good.

Everyone should know that I am watching my cat on Digital Life. It is very entertaining.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Sounds good.

Everyone should know that I am watching my cat on Digital Life. It is very entertaining.

Since you have the camera package I have one question: can you turn the cameras off and on by the app?

ReaveTheJust
Mar 4, 2002
I have an easy question:

I am 4 months shy of the end of a 2 year contract and my current phone is worse for wear. I bought an unlocked Moto X 2014 from Motorola with their Cyber Monday $140 off code to replace it.

What should I expect when I go into the store for a sim card and activation? A quick $40 charge and go on my way?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ReaveTheJust posted:

I have an easy question:

I am 4 months shy of the end of a 2 year contract and my current phone is worse for wear. I bought an unlocked Moto X 2014 from Motorola with their Cyber Monday $140 off code to replace it.

What should I expect when I go into the store for a sim card and activation? A quick $40 charge and go on my way?

In my experience, no $$$, just get a new sim and go.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ReaveTheJust posted:

I have an easy question:

They'll activate it no charge and no fee if it's a company store.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Since you have the camera package I have one question: can you turn the cameras off and on by the app?

Define turn them off and on. Because they are only grabbing a signal if there is a record requested or you are actively watching them.

Clint Howard
Jul 16, 2006

by zen death robot
I've been on the "Nation 450 with Rollover" plan for... I don't even know, probably like 5+ years. I've just been too lazy to change it. I was keen on keeping my unlimited data, but then I looked at how much data I actually use, and in the past year, I've never used over 150 MB in a month. So, now I think it's time to stop paying $80/month for my single phone line, upgrade my slow as balls iPhone 3GS, and hopefully save a bit of money.

Looking at the upgrade options on the AT&T site, I could switch to a plan with 1 GB of data and unlimited text/talk for $60/month with a two year contract, or I could go with Next. If I understand Next correctly, I'd be out of contract, get a $15 monthly rebate, and have the option of getting a new phone every 12/18/24 months. That sounds good to me. Any downsides? I've also considered going prepaid with GoPhone, but I've heard that prepaid traffic has lower priority which can sometimes result in degraded service, dropped calls, etc.

Really, I just want to finally upgrade my ancient phone and hopefully save a bit of money monthly without too much hassle. Is my best bet to just walk into an AT&T store today and let the rep do the math for me and give me my options?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clint Howard posted:

I've been on the "Nation 450 with Rollover" plan for... I don't even know, probably like 5+ years. I've just been too lazy to change it. I was keen on keeping my unlimited data, but then I looked at how much data I actually use, and in the past year, I've never used over 150 MB in a month. So, now I think it's time to stop paying $80/month for my single phone line, upgrade my slow as balls iPhone 3GS, and hopefully save a bit of money.

Looking at the upgrade options on the AT&T site, I could switch to a plan with 1 GB of data and unlimited text/talk for $60/month with a two year contract, or I could go with Next. If I understand Next correctly, I'd be out of contract, get a $15 monthly rebate, and have the option of getting a new phone every 12/18/24 months. That sounds good to me. Any downsides? I've also considered going prepaid with GoPhone, but I've heard that prepaid traffic has lower priority which can sometimes result in degraded service, dropped calls, etc.

Really, I just want to finally upgrade my ancient phone and hopefully save a bit of money monthly without too much hassle. Is my best bet to just walk into an AT&T store today and let the rep do the math for me and give me my options?

You are correct on all options. I would just do the next, it's cheaper up front and is more flexible. What type of phone are you looking for?

Clint Howard
Jul 16, 2006

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

You are correct on all options. I would just do the next, it's cheaper up front and is more flexible. What type of phone are you looking for?

I'm fairly invested in the Apple ecosystem, so I'll probably go with an iPhone 6.

With Next, I have the option of paying off the phone in full any time I want, right? So, I could go with the 24 month option, and then, if I decide I want a new phone 12 months from now, pay off what's left on my phone and upgrade, correct?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clint Howard posted:

I'm fairly invested in the Apple ecosystem, so I'll probably go with an iPhone 6.

With Next, I have the option of paying off the phone in full any time I want, right? So, I could go with the 24 month option, and then, if I decide I want a new phone 12 months from now, pay off what's left on my phone and upgrade, correct?

Yes indeed.

Clint Howard
Jul 16, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm trying to figure out the cost difference between a 2-year contract and Next, and based on the numbers in the OP, this is what I've come up with:

pre:
2-year contract:
Mobile Share Value 1 GB		 25.00
Mobile Share Value iPhone	 40.00
----
$65/month * 12 + $299.99 phone charge + $36 activation = $1115.99 / year

Next 12:
Out of contract credit		-15.00
Monthly phone charge		 37.50
----
$87.50/month * 12 = $1050.00 / year
So, even if I go with the 12 month plan, I'm still saving money on Next. Am I doing the math wrong? I know it's been said over and over in this thread, but there really doesn't seem to be any disadvantage to Next.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only thing you're missing is that you pay the full sales tax on the phone at the time of purchase on Next, so add an additional whatever that is where you live. (And also add the sales tax to the $300 cost on the 2-year contract for equivalency.) At most, this will make it break even, but you'll probably still be coming out ahead.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clint Howard posted:

I'm trying to figure out the cost difference between a 2-year contract and Next, and based on the numbers in the OP, this is what I've come up with:

pre:
2-year contract:
----
$65/month * 12 + $299.99 phone charge + $36 activation = $1115.99 / year

Next 12:
Out of contract credit		-15.00
Monthly phone charge		 37.50
----
$87.50/month * 12 = $1050.00 / year

So, even if I go with the 12 month plan, I'm still saving money on Next. Am I doing the math wrong? I know it's been said over and over in this thread, but there really doesn't seem to be any disadvantage to Next.

The next 12 plan goes over 20 months, at month 12 you can trade in the phone to upgrade.

Over 24 months is:
Two year: $300 phone + $40 upgrade fee (it isn't $36) + ($40 * 24 months) = $1300

Next: $750 phone (with option to upgrade in 12 months) + ($25 * 24) = $1350.

Even if you don't upgrade, next will give you more option if you need to upgrade early, so for a difference of $50 I would still do next.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Anyone interested in unloading a spare 2013 Moto X to me? let me know what you want price wise.

Cracked my screen as my phone fell 12" out of my pocket while pulling down my pants to to use the bathroom. First screen cracked ever. What BS.

Is nearly unusable cracked.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

c0ldfuse posted:

Anyone interested in unloading a spare 2013 Moto X to me? let me know what you want price wise.

Cracked my screen as my phone fell 12" out of my pocket while pulling down my pants to to use the bathroom. First screen cracked ever. What BS.

Is nearly unusable cracked.

Something to try: Get one of those cheap PEVA screen protectors, or if you dont mind spending about 5 bucks, get one of the glass ones from XtremeGuard when they do the 80 or 90% sales. My friend cracked the screen on his note 3 and i gave him my spare tempered glass one and he hasnt had any issues with it.

Seventyfour
Apr 6, 2009

Beneath the Pavement
The Beach
My wife and I are currently under the 1GB mobile value plan, both off contract, so are paying $70.00/month ($25.00 smart phone, $20.00 dumb phone, $25 one GB). After years of taking pride in buying the cheapest voice-only burner phone available, I bought a refurbished iPhone 5 and am going to add it. Neither of us use a lot of data, so just need to bump the data plan to 2GB (though more would be nice, don't want to pay for it).

Adding the iPhone to the account will add $5.00/month, and going up to 2 GB will add $15.00/month, right? The AT&T plans seem pretty simple to me, but is this the cheapest way to go w/ AT&T? Is there any promotional stuff out there to get more data at a reduced cost? (I'm self-employed, so no employer discounts. Are there discounts for the State Bar of Texas?)

Also, assuming that my refurb iPhone is fine (was originally with AT&T, factory reset, IMEI is clean), is it pretty quick/easy to bring in my current phone to a store and have them dupe the SIM?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Seventyfour posted:

My wife and I are currently under the 1GB mobile value plan, both off contract, so are paying $70.00/month ($25.00 smart phone, $20.00 dumb phone, $25 one GB). After years of taking pride in buying the cheapest voice-only burner phone available, I bought a refurbished iPhone 5 and am going to add it. Neither of us use a lot of data, so just need to bump the data plan to 2GB (though more would be nice, don't want to pay for it).

Adding the iPhone to the account will add $5.00/month, and going up to 2 GB will add $15.00/month, right? The AT&T plans seem pretty simple to me, but is this the cheapest way to go w/ AT&T? Is there any promotional stuff out there to get more data at a reduced cost? (I'm self-employed, so no employer discounts. Are there discounts for the State Bar of Texas?)

Also, assuming that my refurb iPhone is fine (was originally with AT&T, factory reset, IMEI is clean), is it pretty quick/easy to bring in my current phone to a store and have them dupe the SIM?

There's no 2GB plan anymore, they bumped it to 3GB for the same price :toot:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Seventyfour posted:

They can get everything set for you in store pretty easily, your math is right, and you'll get 3Gb, not 2.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Well, it's the end of an era.

I just dumped my unlimited data plan for a mobile shared plan even though it's costing me $30 more per month. I'm tired of AT&T throttling me and this month it happened when I only used 4 GB.

Oh well. At least now I can use the mobile hotspot (without jailbreaking) and my wife can stream music without worrying about the data plan.

(By the way, I was still able to get the 15GB for 10GB price when I spoke with them...)

Seventyfour
Apr 6, 2009

Beneath the Pavement
The Beach

nimper posted:

Awesome, thanks duckman n' nimper.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Vinlaen posted:

I just dumped my unlimited data plan for a mobile shared plan even though it's costing me $30 more per month. I'm tired of AT&T throttling me and this month it happened when I only used 4 GB.

I thought they throttled once you hit 5gb?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Quick question for any ATT employees if you don't mind

I have an iphone 6 w/grandfathered unlimited data and a 20% FAN discount. On a 2 year contract I just signed to get the phone subsidized etc etc.

I'm looking to get my girlfriend under my account. She currently has a Nexus 4 and a month to month $50 plan w/ 1 gig data on t-mobile. I'd like to keep unlimited data. I see this and that about ATT paying you to switch to them etc and money for trading in phones. How can I work out the best deal here?

Also I used to have a $5 for 200 texts plan which they got rid of. If I ask nicely can I get it back? I needed it because at my previous job a lot of people didn't have iphones. Now I only send/receive maybe 100-150 texts so it'd be cheaper to get rid of the $200 unlimited texting? Is it still $.10 per text?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 23, 2014

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Yeah, I don't understand how they determine when to throttle.

All I know is that the AT&T website said I had only used 3.8 GB and I confirmed it with a chat representative as well.

A friend of mine also had unlimited data (until recently) and he routinely went over 15 GB every month and never had any problems. However, I'd had multiple times where they throttled me at or before 5 GB. (I'm using LTE network almost always, which I thought they allowed the full 5 GB instead of 3 GB on 3G but who knows)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It is pretty random. Sometimes I get warning texts sometimes I don't. Actually I haven't gotten one for a long time. Sometimes I get throttled sometimes I don't. I'm at 4.5gbs right now and nothing. I haven't been throttled in the while and the last time I did i'm pretty sure I was well over 5 like around 8 or so? I want to say I've been throttled before I hit 5gb before as well. All of the above only seems to happen if you use a lot of data in a very short time period.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Christoff posted:

Quick question for any ATT employees if you don't mind

I have an iphone 6 w/grandfathered unlimited data and a 20% FAN discount. On a 2 year contract I just signed to get the phone subsidized etc etc.

I'm looking to get my girlfriend under my account. She currently has a Nexus 4 and a month to month $50 plan w/ 1 gig data on t-mobile. I'd like to keep unlimited data. I see this and that about ATT paying you to switch to them etc and money for trading in phones. How can I work out the best deal here?

Also I used to have a $5 for 200 texts plan which they got rid of. If I ask nicely can I get it back? I needed it because at my previous job a lot of people didn't have iphones. Now I only send/receive maybe 100-150 texts so it'd be cheaper to get rid of the $200 unlimited texting? Is it still $.10 per text?

We will nicely tell you no. No going back to an old plan of any sort once it's gone.

Best deal is to just keep your plan as is, add her on as a 2nd individual line on your account. 1GB of data, unlimited call and text on AT&T is $50 a month, and you would get $5 off with your discount. Only downside is the $150 to switch is with getting a phone on next, so you would have to get s phone if you want the switch credit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I had unlimited texting, suspended my account, then re-activated it and they gave me back the $5/200 text deal I had way before and I didn't notice until later. But I needed unlimited at the time :saddowns:

Next still confuses me. On paper it looks like it's a rip off. I see a lot of breakdowns on here and it seems just the same cost over time? Maybe a little more? Should we just get an Iphone 6 (that's what we're looking at) on Next? What will the pricing be like? Or just do a regular 2 year with subsidized phone? And would they give anything for a Nexus 4?

Thanks!

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 24, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It will depend on the phone and the specific plan, but there's definitely cases where it can come out ahead versus a subsidized plan.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Iphone 6, 64gb, $50 plan with 1 gig of data

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Christoff posted:

Yeah I had unlimited texting, suspended my account, then re-activated it and they gave me back the $5/200 text deal I had way before and I didn't notice until later. But I needed unlimited at the time :saddowns:

Next still confuses me. On paper it looks like it's a rip off. I see a lot of breakdowns on here and it seems just the same cost over time? Maybe a little more? Should we just get an Iphone 6 (that's what we're looking at) on Next? What will the pricing be like? Or just do a regular 2 year with subsidized phone? And would they give anything for a Nexus 4?

Thanks!

You'll want to do Next because you won't get the $150 port credit with a two year contract. Keep in mind the $50 plan goes up to $65 if you sign a two year contract, so they equal out overall even without the port credit.

They just need to do what Tmobile did and kill two year contracts already. And I've heard rumors they might do exactly that soon.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

nimper posted:

Thank you for posting this, I didn't know this changed and just got a free GB/mo by changing my plan for the low, low cost of $0.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Is AT&T still doing the pay for 15gigs, get 30 gigs deal? I see promo literature that says it ended 10/31, but the pricing ~seems~ to still be in effect. Currently have the 10 for 15 gig at $122, bumping to the next tier (30gigs) raises it to $145. Maths tells me that's $23 more. Is that the promo price (i.e. the normal 15gig cost)? I can't tell anymore...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Is AT&T still doing the pay for 15gigs, get 30 gigs deal? I see promo literature that says it ended 10/31, but the pricing ~seems~ to still be in effect. Currently have the 10 for 15 gig at $122, bumping to the next tier (30gigs) raises it to $145. Maths tells me that's $23 more. Is that the promo price (i.e. the normal 15gig cost)? I can't tell anymore...

Yes that double data promo is still going on. The price is $30 more than your current plan, minus your discount. So you are correct on all accounts.

Keep in mind ATT already does not offer the $100 15GB plan anymore, so when you switch you can't go back.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

drat, one less reason to stay on that unlimited plan:

quote:

AT&T will let 50 million customers carry over unused data to the next month

AT&T's data plan just got a lot more forgiving. Today, the company announced that starting January 25th, any AT&T customers in the Mobile Share Value system will be able to carry over unusued data to the next month. Since most users tends to fluctuate widely in data use from month to month, that will give users significantly more flexibility in data usage and a much better chance at avoiding overage fees. The Mobile Share plan already allows different users to share the same pool of data, so allowing the data to rollover will add an even larger buffer. "We’re saying thanks to our more than 50 million plus Mobile Share Value subscribers," said AT&T Mobility CEO Glenn Lurie.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/7/7507863/at-t-will-let-50-million-customers-carry-over-unused-data-mobile-share

and a link with actual details:

http://about.att.com/story/att_gives_50_million_customers_shareable_rollover_data_at_no_charge.html

quote:

HERE’S HOW IT WORKS:

•All levels of AT&T Mobile Share Value plan customers automatically receive the Rollover Data feature – no signing up, no additional cost.
•Rollover Data can be shared with everyone on the same Mobile Share Value plan.
• If you do not use your full allotment of plan data in a given month, the extra amount automatically rolls over and is available to be used within the next month.
•Within a given month, you will use your plan allotment first, before you begin using your Rollover Data. Unused Rollover Data does not carry over.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Thanks T-Mobile!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Caveat emptor on that -- it looks pretty good on its face but the way it works is a bit screwy. Your data bucket and your rollover bucket are separate, and the rollover bucket only gets drained if you use up your data bucket. The rollover bucket resets every month.

quote:

If you do not use your full allotment of plan data in a given month, the extra amount automatically rolls over and is available to be used within the next month.

Within a given month, you will use your plan allotment first, before you begin using your Rollover Data. Unused Rollover Data does not carry over.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

nimper posted:

Caveat emptor on that -- it looks pretty good on its face but the way it works is a bit screwy. Your data bucket and your rollover bucket are separate, and the rollover bucket only gets drained if you use up your data bucket. The rollover bucket resets every month.

Yeah, but that's still better than unused data just disappearing. It's not how their rollover minutes work(ed) where you kept unused minutes for a year--but it was the same way there, you used your plan minutes first in a month and then rollover if you ran out.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

nimper posted:

Yeah, that seems pretty straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, that seems pretty straightforward.

It's fairly straightforward, but the rollover resetting at the end of the month is a pretty big contrast with T-Mobile's concept of keeping the rolled over data for a whole year before it drops off.