Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Powershift posted:

Ford still puts the 2 valve 5.4 in the E350 cutaway that makes a pavement pounding 255hp. They say they're going to keep building it until "the end of the decade" as well.

Don't worry, though, it's only used for lame poo poo like ambulances.

All of our ambulances have the 7.3 TD, but we idle them for literally days at a time.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This blows my mind; the average ambulance here is equipped with a 2.5-3.0 diesel.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

This blows my mind; the average ambulance here is equipped with a 2.5-3.0 diesel.

You try hauling around Americans with a 3.0 and see how it works out for you.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Memento posted:

Yeah the 5.0L Holden engine of the early-mid 90s made 185kW, or about 250hp. Bigger engine for even less power than the BMW!

That was the clubsport version wasn't it? Standard 5L v8 from holden and ford only had 165kW. The ford stock standard 4L straight 6cyl had 157kW by the mid 90s, with more to come.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 22, 2014

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

That's a respectable figure for the 80's.

To be fair, the engine was swapped from a 93 Lumina. My college ex-girlfriend drove a 95 Lumina and it was awfully slow.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fo3 posted:

That was the clubsport version wasn't it? Standard 5L v8 from holden and ford only had 165kW. The ford stock standard 4L straight 6cyl had 157kW by the mid 90s, with more to come.

Yeah, SS had 165, Clubsport had 185 and GTS (lol) had 215. Boat meet anchor.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko posted:

The 1984-1986 Fieros are literally a microcosm of why GM is so full of fail.

Marketing: "Hey guys, lets build a mid-engine two seat sports car, to bring some excitement to the brand."
Engineering: "Here's the design. It will pretty thoroughly stomp anything at its price point, and won't cost a billion dollars to build. We think it's a pretty competitive car."
Accounting: "It has to be fuel efficient, and cheap. You have to use the front suspension parts from the Chevette for the front suspension, and the front suspension parts from the Citation for the rear suspension."
Engineering: :stare:
Marketing: "We can bill it as a thrifty, sporty runabout."
Accounting: "Instead of the aluminum V-6 you were talking about, use the Iron Duke 4 cylinder."
Engineering: :stonk:
Marketing: "It WILL have pretty impressive mileage, with that powertrain..."
Accounting: "In fact, we don't really like your project manager, so just build it with whatever you have laying around."
Engineering: :suicide:
Marketing: "Lets go get some drinks."

A year later...

Public Relations: "Hey guys, did you know that these things can catch fire pretty easily?"

The fire issues were mostly limited to the 1984 model year, and the 1988 finally got the originally-designed suspension, which actually turned it into a respectable small sports-car. The powertrain still wasn't up to the level of its competition, though. Just as it got kindof good, GM axed it. They have a habit of doing that.

Don't forget the idiotic requirement that it had to consistently had to sell over 100,000 units per year. The C4 Corvette is another example of a good car nearly ruined by corporate idiocy. Roger Smith, with respect, was probably the worst automotive CEO of the last 35 years.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 22, 2014

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

Haha, 3.4L DOHC and only 220hp? Sweet jesus that's terrible. :negative:

That figure is incredibly decent for that time especially considering that its a domestic engine. You have to remember this is the same era when the 130hp 3.0L Ford engine was considered perfectly acceptable.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
SO the Hellcats are starting to hit the market.

http://www.tflcar.com/2014/12/first-2015-dodge-challenger-hellcat-sold-in-colorado-crashed/

quote:

This crash took place at 8:07pm MST on December 19th, 2014. The 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat driver, 34-year-old Lance Utley of Winter Park, CO, was traveling northbound on Riverdale Rd. The driver lost control to the right, then overcorrected and lost control to the left, and struck a tree head on. There were two additional occupants in the vehicle. The driver was charged with careless driving. Drugs or alcohol were not involved. There was no mention of excessive speeding. All three occupants were unhurt.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Silly boy, 4,500lb Dodges can't turn for poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FatCow posted:

Silly boy, 4,500lb Dodges can't turn for poo poo.

quote:

It’s powered by a 707 horsepower 6.2L Supercharged HEMI V8. This is the most powerful production Dodge muscle car engine of all time. It should be treated with respect. Also, the performance tires that it wears from the factory cannot perform well at temperatures near 32F (as it was in this case).

Cold tires on a blind crest with a sweeper.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

That figure is incredibly decent for that time especially considering that its a domestic engine. You have to remember this is the same era when the 130hp 3.0L Ford engine was considered perfectly acceptable.

Oh I love me a good domestic, but the 3.0 VULCAN V6 is a poo poo motor as well.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

Oh I love me a good domestic, but the 3.0 VULCAN V6 is a poo poo motor as well.

You say that, but when your car blows a head gasket and you're too lazy to change it you'll be singing a different tune.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

That's a respectable figure for the 80's. BMW's first 4.0L DOHC v8 made 280hp in 1993. You could reasonably expect around 150-200hp from a NA Japanese ~3.0L engine of the time. Especially with American emissions standards and petrol of the day.

My 83 supra's 2.8L inline 6 makes 152hp on a good day :(

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

You say that, but when your car blows a head gasket and you're too lazy to change it you'll be singing a different tune.

I have owned two tauruses and that motor was poo poo in both of them. The reason why they blow head gaskets is because their poo poo. :v:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

My 83 supra's 2.8L inline 6 makes 152hp on a good day :(

My 86 eta makes 128HP stock

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I had a straight six Jeep Cherokee Sport that barely made 90 HP, but that was degraded from stock.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How about the Toyota 1FZFE? 4.5l inline 6 with 190hp. To be fair, they handle over 1000hp on stock internals with boost. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

rscott posted:

My 86 eta makes 128HP stock

Not fair, that engine is low-powered on purpose. BMW were trying something.

BlackMK4 posted:

How about the Toyota 1FZFE? 4.5l inline 6 with 190hp. To be fair, they handle over 1000hp on stock internals with boost. :v:

Those are a glorious engine if you want to cruise along at 15km/h in 4low, utterly unstoppable by any force of man or nature. But only if you can't get/don't want a 1HD-FTE for some reason.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I liked mine in my FZJ, we never got the diesels here though. Weak head gaskets around cylinder 6 but they are pretty easy to do.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
It gets brought up every time someone mentions power density but the 500 cubic inch (8.2 L) Cadillac V8 made 190 SAE gross HP in 1976, a whopping 23 hp/L.

E: You could get this engine in a car weighing 5,236 lbs

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MonkeyNutZ posted:

It gets brought up every time someone mentions power density but the 500 cubic inch (8.2 L) Cadillac V8 made 190 SAE gross HP in 1976, a whopping 23 hp/L.

My uncle has an early 80s Mustang with 20k on the odometer and swears its a future classic despite the V8 putting out something like 150hp when it was new. Its been the butt of jokes at every family gathering since I've grown up. In recent years he's been panicking since he has TRX tires and his investment is going to go belly up trying to source new ones.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Niiice. Summer tires in freezing temps? I also feel like these reports will consistently be stating that drugs/alcohol were not a factor in the crash, but the fact that the driver lacked the talent needed to handle such a beast. I wonder how quickly insurance premiums will rise :negative:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ratbert90 posted:

Haha, 3.4L DOHC and only 220hp? Sweet jesus that's terrible. :negative:

My first vehicle was a 1980 Ford, equipped with a 351M (5.8L).

It had 136 hp, and 262 ft/lbs... when new. We had no idea how many times the odometer had rolled over, but judging by the inch+ thick layer of black sludge I scraped out of the transmission plan, I'd say at least twice.The transmission was held together by black magic and sludge (and on cold days would take up to 5 minutes to actually go into gear), and the engine had almost zero warm oil pressure at idle and a main bearing knock. When I added an oil pressure gauge, it was neat watching the gauge twitch with the knocking. With SAE 60 oil, it would hit about 25-30 PSI at 2500 RPM, drop to about 5 psi at idle on a hot day, and coated the windshield of everyone behind me in oil (along with the rear bumper, tailgate, etc).. I'd guess it was down to well below 100 hp by the time I got it - I actually got my rear end handed to me by a Geo Metro in it. :unsmith:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 221 days!)

My second vehicle was a 1984 Cutlass. It had the Buick 3.8 V6 mated to the 3 speed auto. Not only that, but the V6 was tired when I got it (had not ONE but TWO spark plug defoulers in it because it needed them). Even after cleaning it and fixing it, it was a gutless blunder. I literally was passed by tractors when I tried to go uphill.

To give you an idea- HOW TO HANDLE THE 1973 OIL CRISIS, THE GM WAY:

WikiPedia posted:

One quick idea was tried by Buick engineers — taking an old Fireball V6 picked up at a junkyard and installing it into a 1974 Buick Apollo. The solution worked so well that GM wanted AMC to put the engine back into production. However, AMC's cost per unit was deemed as too high. Instead of buying completed engines, GM made an offer to buy back the tooling and manufacturing line from AMC in April, 1974, and began building the engines on August 12.

GM will bring back the SAAB H engine. I just need to wait for 2060 or so. :ohdear:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 23, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hilarious that GM's two best engines are based on 50+ year old designs.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
GM is cool but also retarded.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Holy crap I just drove a Smart ForTwo for the first time. What a dreadful piece of poo poo. I like small cars, but that thing is truly terrible car stuff that has nothing to do with its size.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Guinness posted:

Holy crap I just drove a Smart ForTwo for the first time. What a dreadful piece of poo poo. I like small cars, but that thing is truly terrible car stuff that has nothing to do with its size.

Car2go? I had one for the first time in Calgary. Diesel automatic. What a hateful, awful little machine. Cheaper than a taxi though.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Guinness posted:

Which one? The older model with the terrible automated manual transmission or the new one with the real manual or a DCT? Not that it matters because either is still an impractical, overpriced, underpowered piece of garbage. :haw:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

GM is retarded.

FTFY. When GM get something gloriously right like the ZR1 vette or whatever, it's in spite of the rest of GM's efforts to completely torpedo the whole thing. The LSx is a massive fluke where the planets aligned and someone did a bare-chested rain dance whilst playing the ukulele in a pressurised chamber before penning the design, and they've been riding that train ever since.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Niiice. Summer tires in freezing temps? I also feel like these reports will consistently be stating that drugs/alcohol were not a factor in the crash, but the fact that the driver lacked the talent needed to handle such a beast. I wonder how quickly insurance premiums will rise :negative:

I learned that lesson in my car when I got caught in the first winter storm after I bought it. It had a set of Z-Rated Falken tires on it that were great on dry pavement and manageable in the rain, but quickly proved to be utterly useless in the snow. It's nothing short of a loving miracle that I made it home that day without getting stuck or into an accident.

I spent most of the 2-hour excursion (normally a 20 minute ride) in First gear trying to delicately flutter the throttle while simultaneously releasing the clutch just enough so the car would move forward without slipping or sliding sideways. It was terribly frustrating and I actually had a cramp in my left leg for a few days after. For safety and sanity reasons, I had a set of snow tires installed the next day and now only use All-Season tires in the warmer months. I never want to go through that poo poo again.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

MonkeyNutZ posted:

It gets brought up every time someone mentions power density but the 500 cubic inch (8.2 L) Cadillac V8 made 190 SAE [s]gross/s] net HP in 1976, a whopping 23 hp/L.

The hp/L might have been slightly more with the later Olds 307 found in the Cadillac Brougham, but having 140 hp and 250 lb ft on tap gave it limp-dick performance. It was the only car I could never do at least a one-wheel peel in. :(

Fucknag posted:

Hilarious that GM's two best engines are based on 50+ year old designs.

GM tends to stumble on good engine designs. Sorta like a squirrel that gouged its own eyeballs stumbling over an acorn or two.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
GM are terrible, Ed Cole wasn't.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Guinness posted:

Hands down the worst car I've ever driven. The transmission in the Brabus edition that I drove was absolute garbage. Build quality was awful, interior was awful.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

Ford still puts the 2 valve 5.4 in the E350 cutaway that makes a pavement pounding 255hp. They say they're going to keep building it until "the end of the decade" as well.

Don't worry, though, it's only used for lame poo poo like ambulances.

Somewhat related, in the television show "The A-Team", the V8 GMC Vandura they used as the heroes' car was so gutless the only way they could do those sick burnouts in every episode was to hose down the rear tires in bleach before the burnout shot.

Root Bear posted:

I learned that lesson in my car when I got caught in the first winter storm after I bought it. It had a set of Z-Rated Falken tires on it that were great on dry pavement and manageable in the rain, but quickly proved to be utterly useless in the snow. It's nothing short of a loving miracle that I made it home that day without getting stuck or into an accident.

I spent most of the 2-hour excursion (normally a 20 minute ride) in First gear trying to delicately flutter the throttle while simultaneously releasing the clutch just enough so the car would move forward without slipping or sliding sideways. It was terribly frustrating and I actually had a cramp in my left leg for a few days after. For safety and sanity reasons, I had a set of snow tires installed the next day and now only use All-Season tires in the warmer months. I never want to go through that poo poo again.

In snow/ice driving with a manual, start in second gear instead of first, much easier to get going without slipping the tires so much.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

HotCanadianChick posted:

In snow/ice driving with a manual, start in second gear instead of first, much easier to get going without slipping the tires so much.

This was the only way my Saturn was drivable in the wintertime.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Somewhat related, in the television show "The A-Team", the V8 GMC Vandura they used as the heroes' car was so gutless the only way they could do those sick burnouts in every episode was to hose down the rear tires in bleach before the burnout shot.

yeah, but that was the 80s. I'm talking about ford potentially using a 255hp 5.4 liter V8 in the year two thousand and twenty.

I don't understand how it makes sense to still produce it. They're building 400,000 5.0/6 speed auto combos a year, you would think the scale of economies would make the cost per unit so small compared to 25,000 5.4/5 speed auto combos, not to mention the 305hp/420ftlb 6.8 v10 would be murdered by a 3.5 ecoboost

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I don't understand how it makes sense to still produce it. They're building 400,000 5.0/6 speed auto combos a year, you would think the scale of economies would make the cost per unit so small compared to 25,000 5.4/5 speed auto combos, not to mention the 305hp/420ftlb 6.8 v10 would be murdered by a 3.5 ecoboost

American stigma against the Inline 4, 5, and 6 engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

yeah, but that was the 80s. I'm talking about ford potentially using a 255hp 5.4 liter V8 in the year two thousand and twenty.

The 5.4/5spd is already crash and emissions certified in that platform, and has no sales benefit from getting a new power train like a Corvette, Shelby Mustang, Challenger Hellcat, or other low-production model would.