Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

program666 posted:

I live in brazil, my internet is not that reliable

Move to a real country with overpriced internet and nonexistent healthcare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

XIII posted:

But they have real sugar in their mt dew extreme code red.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

XIII posted:

My mobile internet is overpriced as well and have data caps of 10MB on the cheapest plan. I could pay more but I feel like it would be a waste since I'm so rarely out of the house. I mean, I would only really need high speed mobile internet to use music streaming like you guys.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Now, I'm legit curious, how you guys listen to music in the middle of the highway during a trip, or when camping or something?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

program666 posted:

Now, I'm legit curious, how you guys listen to music in the middle of the highway during a trip, or when camping or something?

Exactly why I still use an ipod in the car. I use google music at home or at the office but still have the ipod in the car.

edit: I can't imagine dumping my 20 year old music collection and sorting it out online with some streaming service that might be shutdown or bought out or otherwise change. I like google music since I can upload my music and its all the same but if I had to go and tag all the same artists that would drive me insane. One thing I don't like about google music is their shuffle, instant mix, its not very good, seems to grab a group of similar artists based on what I listened to last. I want it truly random.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 22, 2014

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I stream it over my mobile network at the highest quality possible for, roughly, 8hrs a day.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

XIII posted:

I stream it over my mobile network at the highest quality possible for, roughly, 8hrs a day.

Must be nice to have unlimited data. I use the dork plan and apparently t-mobile doesn't include that in their unlimited streaming.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

program666 posted:

My mobile internet is overpriced as well and have data caps of 10MB on the cheapest plan. I could pay more but I feel like it would be a waste since I'm so rarely out of the house. I mean, I would only really need high speed mobile internet to use music streaming like you guys.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Like r0ck0, I have an iPod that lives in the car.

Also I hardly ever listen to music at all. In the car I listen to NPR. At work I listen to podcasts (locally downloaded over wifi at the app's convenience). When I do listen to music it's nearly always one complete album in order from beginning to end and I pin the last few albums I'm into through Google Music while on wifi.

Really I don't see the benefit of streaming services even in the best of circumstances just because I'd never listen to enough music to ever justify paying for it but I understand I'm well into the minority.

r0ck0 posted:

Must be nice to have unlimited data.
It is. :)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

ignore this stupid post

program666 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 22, 2014

program666
Aug 22, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Really I don't see the benefit of streaming services even in the best of circumstances just because I'd never listen to enough music to ever justify paying for it but I understand I'm well into the minority.
I listen to a lot of music so much I panic thinking that might want to listen to it and depend on having internet to do so.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

program666 posted:

I listen to a lot of music so much I panic thinking that might want to listen to it and depend on having internet to do so.
Panic? Really? Panic? :crossarms:

Full-on hyperventilation, on the floor in the fetal position, crying uncontrollably panic?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Full-on hyperventilation, on the floor in the fetal position, crying uncontrollably panic?
m-maybe

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

Another reason I like google music, its a third backup. Local copy, ipod, google music.

Glad they increased the max upload from 10k to 20k.
Uploaded Songs: 10,210 (20,000 max)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Hey look at that poweramp just ordered all my albums correctly, inclusing "To Be Kind" that no other player could order.

Thanks guys

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

My pet theory is that it's because these people were too into tag janitoring that they never let iTunes manage their music

I hate messing around with tags but it's preferable to using the drunken shitbox that is iTunes on Windows. My last experience with it was adding a folder that included subfolders already in the library, assuming it would be smart enough to ignore stuff it already had in the database. Oh no my friend! Have some duplicate entries of the exact same location, that you have to either manually filter and delete by hand from the library, or just wipe the library and start over. It's like some kid's freeware project from the 90s

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Can't argue with it from a backup perspective. To me though it seems like there is a lack of overlap in a lot of places and it's difficult to generalize because of differences in plans, geography, infrastructure, and use patterns.

People really into music probably have collections that both exceed 20,000 tracks and have a lot of obscure items not available in Play/iTMS. At that point you get into the situation where a locker doesn't do what you need because you can't store it there anyway due to lack of space.

People kind of into music probably either don't have collections at all at this point or have so few items that streaming services, maybe even at the free level, more than satisfy their music needs. Really the only wildcard here is whether their data plan and cellular data infrastructure allows them to use it constantly everywhere. Even if it doesn't these people probably don't care enough about having their music available to them constantly for that to be a dealbreaker.

Cloud services exist not for the former but primarily for the latter in an attempt to monetize them into subscription fee paying customers. Music lockers exist pretty much just to transition people away from storing their own poo poo to using the streaming poo poo. I think the providers of these services know and understand that attempting to cater to the weirdos in category one is something that will cost a lot for little benefit and thus if you find yourself in that group you're pretty much stuck with local storage and managing your library yourself.

On a personal note I do want to say that I don't want to come across as judgy--I mean, of course there are going to be music nerds as there always have been. I'm saying if you are one, well, you're just stuck in terms of options.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
If your not using foobar2000 instead of itunes, you should. You'll need the ipod plugin.

http://www.foobar2000.org/download

ipod manager
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dop

edit: google music works fine for a backup, for stuff it doesn't recognize it just uploads as is and uses the local file info, doesn't match it up. Otherwise it uses their single instance storage, doesn't even upload it just puts a marker in your library saying you got this.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 22, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

program666 posted:

With Play Music you can "pin" music which keeps a copy on your device. I pin a bunch of playlists if I think I'm going to be out of range of Internet for awhile.

But otherwise I've got 30GB of mobile data to use.

Also, like LastInLine, I spend most of my listening time on podcasts and only listen to music occasionally.

Really, I just don't care about music.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

With Play Music you can "pin" music which keeps a copy on your device. I pin a bunch of playlists if I think I'm going to be out of range of Internet for awhile.

But otherwise I've got 30GB of mobile data to use.

Also, like LastInLine, I spend most of my listening time on podcasts and only listen to music occasionally.

Really, I just don't care about music.

How did you get 30gb of mobile data and why do you need that much mobile data?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I stream over mobile despite having wifi available at my current job because it's the closest I can get to hate-loving Verizon.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where are you people even getting this metadata-less music? Ripping from vinyl?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Bespoke, artisanal MP3s.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Hotzenplotz posted:

Any recommendations for twitter apps?

I like Talon, but its lollipop only at this point. (Dev ran out of tokens on the old version, and made the Material update a new app, that's 5.0 only)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How did you get 30gb of mobile data and why do you need that much mobile data?

I don't need it. My family plan with 4 devices usually uses around 7GB so I was on the 10GB AT&T plan. However AT&T did a promotion recently where 15GB plan subscribers actually got upgraded for free to a 30GB plan, so I switched to that because ... 30GB man!

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

Bespoke, artisanal MP3s.

Bespoke, artisanal, heirloom, from the farmer's market mp3s

program666
Aug 22, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Can't argue with it from a backup perspective. To me though it seems like there is a lack of overlap in a lot of places and it's difficult to generalize because of differences in plans, geography, infrastructure, and use patterns.

People really into music probably have collections that both exceed 20,000 tracks and have a lot of obscure items not available in Play/iTMS. At that point you get into the situation where a locker doesn't do what you need because you can't store it there anyway due to lack of space.

People kind of into music probably either don't have collections at all at this point or have so few items that streaming services, maybe even at the free level, more than satisfy their music needs. Really the only wildcard here is whether their data plan and cellular data infrastructure allows them to use it constantly everywhere. Even if it doesn't these people probably don't care enough about having their music available to them constantly for that to be a dealbreaker.

Cloud services exist not for the former but primarily for the latter in an attempt to monetize them into subscription fee paying customers. Music lockers exist pretty much just to transition people away from storing their own poo poo to using the streaming poo poo. I think the providers of these services know and understand that attempting to cater to the weirdos in category one is something that will cost a lot for little benefit and thus if you find yourself in that group you're pretty much stuck with local storage and managing your library yourself.

On a personal note I do want to say that I don't want to come across as judgy--I mean, of course there are going to be music nerds as there always have been. I'm saying if you are one, well, you're just stuck in terms of options.

you make it sound like it's a lot of work but I just have a library and I copy some discografies and sometimes only a few albuns to my mobile and that's it, I just need an app that could sort it a bit for example and I'm set for life basically

Tunga posted:

I bought "to be kind" quite recently from the site of the band itself, huge flac files that no player so far was able to order properly.

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008

XIII posted:

Fenix. I've tried most all of them and keep coming back to it. I was a Falcon Pro holdout for a long time, but Fenix is just a better app (that's more actively developed). I think the next closest one I'd recommend is TwittNuker, which I've never seen mentioned in here, but I messed with for a little bit last week and liked it (not enough to move away from Fenix though).

Thanks, I will give Fenix a shot!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Went to the effort of de-circling my sister from Google+ last month (and having her do the same), deleting the chat thread we had in Hangouts, and disabling Hangouts on my phone & tablet. That wasn't enough for me to notice a little speech-mark bubble when I poked around in Gmail on my desktop this afternoon - of course there's a missed Hangouts message from a few days ago, asking about Christmas gifts! I honestly thought that at the very least Hangouts had SMS fallback in case delivery failed, but welp :argh:

So after 'signing out' at my end everything should be hunky-dory, but loving hell that's annoying.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

Went to the effort of de-circling my sister from Google+ last month (and having her do the same), deleting the chat thread we had in Hangouts, and disabling Hangouts on my phone & tablet. That wasn't enough for me to notice a little speech-mark bubble when I poked around in Gmail on my desktop this afternoon - of course there's a missed Hangouts message from a few days ago, asking about Christmas gifts! I honestly thought that at the very least Hangouts had SMS fallback in case delivery failed, but welp :argh:

So after 'signing out' at my end everything should be hunky-dory, but loving hell that's annoying.
Nope, there is no fallback on Hangouts. The sender chooses the method of transmission manually and it either works or it doesn't.

I suppose it's either that or have to deal with an iMessage-like registration/deregistration process that creates the problem of one service being able to hinder the operation of the other. Has this issue been solved since Apple released the online tool to resolve it? I know I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread since then.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

program666 posted:

I bought "to be kind" quite recently from the site of the band itself, huge flac files that no player so far was able to order properly.

Just tag the drat files! :cmon:

Here is a 'life hack' to help you out
http://lifehacker.com/5511473/start-to-finish-guide-to-whipping-your-musics-metadata-into-shape

Seriously this is how computers work now. It can be as easy as selecting all the tracks and hitting the 'add track numbers in order' button and then you're done, and all the music players can order the tracks because now they have track numbers. If you don't have a big library you'll be finished in no time, everything will work with it, you can use any app you like on any device and it'll just work

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

program666 posted:

I download the music I really love onto my phone from spotify, so when I've got no internet I default to the 20 albums or so I have saved. Almost all streaming services allow you to do this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

http://lifehacker.com/5511473/start-to-finish-guide-to-whipping-your-musics-metadata-into-shape

Seriously this is how computers work now. It can be as easy as selecting all the tracks and hitting the 'add track numbers in order' button and then you're done, and all the music players can order the tracks because now they have track numbers. If you don't have a big library you'll be finished in no time, everything will work with it, you can use any app you like on any device and it'll just work
I mean, there are what, ten fields per track to fill in? At most? It seems like as soon as you start going through your library album by album you'll come out the other side in an afternoon. Like I said before, I don't understand how people let their library get to this point anyway considering it's so easy to keep up on.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I might do this eventually, I actually said something wrong, "to be kind" works normally on mpd and on poweramp just not on my old phone. So maybe it's because it might have a new kind of metadata that my old phone didn't understand.

Mega Comrade posted:

I download the music I really love onto my phone from spotify, so when I've got no internet I default to the 20 albums or so I have saved. Almost all streaming services allow you to do this.
cool I didn't know that

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
You need Spotify Premium which is .99 for three months until the end of the year

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Nope, there is no fallback on Hangouts. The sender chooses the method of transmission manually and it either works or it doesn't.

I suppose it's either that or have to deal with an iMessage-like registration/deregistration process that creates the problem of one service being able to hinder the operation of the other. Has this issue been solved since Apple released the online tool to resolve it? I know I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread since then.

It just baffles me that neither of us were in each others' G+ circle, and yet I was still able to receive Hangouts messages (albeit in some kind of cloudy limbo). Maybe now finally having signed out things should go back to SMS'ing back and forth, who knows.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

I mean, there are what, ten fields per track to fill in? At most? It seems like as soon as you start going through your library album by album you'll come out the other side in an afternoon. Like I said before, I don't understand how people let their library get to this point anyway considering it's so easy to keep up on.

Well I get how things can end up that way, especially when things like Winamp were always really forgiving with dodgy inconsistent tags, and if you had things pretty organised in the first place it Just Worked. Then I started using Play Music and it's so picky, I had to go sort everything out to fix all these issues like albums getting split up and missing artwork on some songs and whatever. I tried some automated tagging things and they can be ok, but they also fall over sometimes (and iTunes really is the worst) so I just did it with MP3tag. Not the ideal solution but it works!

And yeah it's mostly a case of either selecting stuff and getting it to lookup metadata on Amazon or something, or just doing bulk renaming (like typing an album name only needs to be done once, not per track), and there are usually little macros to pull out data from filenames, so once you get the hang of things you can get through it pretty easily. If you only have a few you could just do it in the Windows properties dialog, that's how basic the whole functionality is now. It's a pain if you have a big library but once you've cleaned it up you can just forget about it

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spincube posted:

Settings on the web client of G+. At the bottom there's:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Well I get how things can end up that way, especially when things like Winamp were always really forgiving with dodgy inconsistent tags, and if you had things pretty organised in the first place it Just Worked. Then I started using Play Music and it's so picky, I had to go sort everything out to fix all these issues like albums getting split up and missing artwork on some songs and whatever. I tried some automated tagging things and they can be ok, but they also fall over sometimes (and iTunes really is the worst) so I just did it with MP3tag. Not the ideal solution but it works!

And yeah it's mostly a case of either selecting stuff and getting it to lookup metadata on Amazon or something, or just doing bulk renaming (like typing an album name only needs to be done once, not per track), and there are usually little macros to pull out data from filenames, so once you get the hang of things you can get through it pretty easily. If you only have a few you could just do it in the Windows properties dialog, that's how basic the whole functionality is now. It's a pain if you have a big library but once you've cleaned it up you can just forget about it
I don't understand the iTunes hate. It has worked flawlessly for me for a decade on multiple machines, Windows and OS X, with the same library. It shows me exactly what I want and sends it to the AppleTV without issue. It puts the files in a logical location and the metadata just works in everything I've ever moved the files into, album art and all.

I still buy all my music with iTunes because it works flawlessly. Maybe somehow my usage just misses where it falls apart but I haven't had to janitor my files since I checked the "Let iTunes manage my music" box.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've literally got no G+ circles, or anyone in those circles. However:

Sounds more like a 'block', in that the person on the other end can transmit but I won't receive - which was the problem I had in the first place, and why I'm rushing to say 'nope, Christmas isn't actually ruined' like a blithering idiot to family members :v:

Appreciate the effort, though, really. For now I've changed as much as I can in G+ settings to 'leave me the gently caress alone' - in fact, hang on, I might as well just delete the entire G+ profile and be done with it. Hmm.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah I've got 32 GB of internal storage and 64 GB on my SD card so I just have a bunch of music downloaded (using Spotify's offline listening feature) on my phone for when I'm on planes or in the middle of nowhere or other places that T-Mo doesn't have service, but otherwise I'm just streaming spotify all the time. It rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

It just baffles me that neither of us were in each others' G+ circle, and yet I was still able to receive Hangouts messages (albeit in some kind of cloudy limbo). Maybe now finally having signed out things should go back to SMS'ing back and forth, who knows.
Maybe I'm just dense but 1) why would you prefer SMS to Hangouts? and 2) why would you use Hangouts as your SMS app if you don't want to make use of Hangouts the medium?

It seems like if you wanted to avoid Hangouts the easiest way would be to just not use it or am I missing something?

• Locked thread