Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Alright alright alright, I'm booting her up thanks to the fight pass. I'm pretty drunk but still really coherent. DC drink prices make it hard to be blackout drunk before like 3 or a house party. Anyway this takes place in Detroit's convention center but they didn't know how the gently caress to sanction it so it's got hilarious rules like "OH NO CLOSED FISTS" or some poo poo, idk it might have just been to the face. I'm drinking and the announcers aren't helping. Also if anyone wants to know what I've been drinking it's been a lot of Stone and Flying Dog

Are you sure you aren't watching Pancrase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Are you sure you aren't watching Pancrase?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Alright alright alright, I'm booting her up thanks to the fight pass. I'm pretty drunk but still really coherent. DC drink prices make it hard to be blackout drunk before like 3 or a house party. Anyway this takes place in Detroit's convention center but they didn't know how the gently caress to sanction it so it's got hilarious rules like "OH NO CLOSED FISTS" or some poo poo, idk it might have just been to the face. I'm drinking and the announcers aren't helping. Also if anyone wants to know what I've been drinking it's been a lot of Stone and Flying Dog

Enjoy your journey to the throne as the American Duzzy Funlop. Please have your sharpie ready.

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW

I may be the hero this thread wants, but you are the hero it deserves

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Yuriy posted:

just die

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
The loving crowd goes wild for Dan Severn despite nobody knowing where the gently caress Coldwater, Michigan is. Ken Shamrock looks like a GI Joe doll. One of the Octagon girls has a sign that reads SHOOTFIGHTING. I decide this is a good time for a gin and tonic. The weights for the fight are 215-246. Welp.

MINUTE ONE:
Big John is the ref. he yells LETS GET IT ON, they circle, they circle some more. Dan is still circling, he throws a light no wait, yeah he's circling. And Ken is standing there. Dan is roaming. Dan is roaming. Dan is roaming. Dan is circling, he almost looks to throw a punch but decides against it and instead circles. The announcer goes "I don't know what Dan is doing". At this point I realize they don't have a readily available clock so I can't tell how far along it is. Big John is yelling at them to GET IT ON, they refuse. Occasionally one of them tries to land a strike, it doesn't work. 3 minutes in now, Big John yells LET'S GET IT ON COME ON, they continue to circle. And circle. The crowd begins to boo. A man wearing American flag pants is posted up against the outside of the cage. "I think the audience wants them to get it on" "Still nothing happening" the announcers say. The crowd starts chanting BULLSHIT. I decide I need another drink and start deciding if I want a gin and tonic or a beer.

(PICTURED: Captain America at the top left

The announcers say that neither fighter wants to come out of their game plan, I look for a pint of turpentine instead of watching the rest of this fight.Ken is standing in the middle of the octagon which is probably getting him many points for octagon control while Dan circles around him. The crowd boos some more, Dan actually hits Shamrock in the face and somehow draws some blood, the announcers immediately assume it was a finger nail because honestly that makes the most sense after watching this fight. I think they just have one long round , actually I know they are do, or had, or whatever the gently caress but I can't take a break now because I poured myself a tall one and don't want to check it up right now. Big John calls a timeout to assuredly tell both fighters to grow a pair of loving testicles, I'm pretty sure they end up ignoring his call.

(PICTURED: the fight, all of it)
That old UFC logo was dope as poo poo, the announcers just told me they are 12 MINUTES IN. Someone throws something into the octagon. The commentators are very excited.

Shamrock throws like 2 combos and the announcers have a full 3/4 chub for him because it's like the only action anyone has seen all fight. Dan is still circling Shamrock, he's probably circled him like 60 times throughout the night. I just drank the rest of my drink and our neighbors are wondering what the gently caress I'm watching. Like they literally knocked and were like ARE YOU WATCHING FIGHTS, now the crowd is cheering BORING. HOLY poo poo DAN SEVERN JUST WENT IN ON A LEG, THEY SCRAMBLE, and nothing loving happens.

The crowd just started cheering for the Red Wings and Dan shoots the world's worst single after Ken threw the worlds worst punch. Ken scrambles to the top and ends up in mount but Ken has no idea what to do, he throws some God awful punches while Dan tries to shrug him off. Shamrock's corner yells at him to use his elbow so Ken tries to grind his elbow into Dan's eye.

UNDER SIX MINUTES IN REGULATION
Ken is on top. He's not doing a god drat thing, my brother just walked in here and asked what I was watching. I told him and he threw me a beer. It's a summer beer which I kinda question because it's almost Christmas. He asks if I want to put it on the big screen, I shake my head. Ken gets some relatively good body shots in from on top but then decides instead he'd love to rub his chest into Dan's head some more.

(PICTURED: Ken Shamrock gets on top and does literally nothing)

I just now realized that Ken isn't wearing gloves. Which is something I probably already knew but I guess not. Ken is really trying to rub his elbow and wrist into Dan's head in hopes of opening something up. Dan scrambles out, reverses and ends up on top. I just dro[[ed a beer on the ground but luckily it was empty. He's head butting shamrock from the mount and starts landing some really lovely shots with ONE MINUTE THIRTY LEFT but actually oh man those punches and shots are starting to do damage which is kinda impresssive and oh gently caress that was acutally a niceshot.

uh, the fight is over? No wait it's in overtime. I don't remember this fight at all. YES OVERTIME THREE MINUTE PERIOD OKAY SURE WHY NOT
They circle. Dan is circling. Yes, shocking. The announcers say that heart will be the determining factor. Apparently heart leads to being the guy that tells you where to get in line for 50 cents autograpgh. I'm now drinking straight shots of gin because I don't want to go get tonic from the store. The announcer says there is one minute left in the overtime and the crowd kinda boos and then is very confused. I don't think Dan has thrown a single strike all overtime. THE FIRST OVERTIME IS OVER, Ken looks like somebody threw him in a microwave for 2 mintues.

(PICTURED: all of the fight)
A second overtime is going on, oh my god why is there a second overtime they say this is the last round but I don't even believe them jesus christ this us loving awful and I love Dan Severn

Now they're slap fighting because apparently they just remembered the rules where they aren't supposed to have clsosed fists to the face. This fight has almost gone 30 minutes and I am not happy.Ken tries to shoot in but theres like no time left, dan throws some ugly knees, the fight ends and the commentators say it was a close one, the crowd boos. The dragon jus mentioned he got hit by a cigar butt, more histi is getting thrown into the octagon, that owns, good job detroit.

OF NOTE: They made the judges stand up and hoist a card in the air for whoever they thought won the fight which is pretty funny but also really bad but also awesome.

DAN SEVERN WINS BY SPLIT DECISION, gently caress this poo poo im going to bed

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The loving crowd goes wild for Dan Severn despite nobody knowing where the gently caress Coldwater, Michigan is. Ken Shamrock looks like a GI Joe doll. One of the Octagon girls has a sign that reads SHOOTFIGHTING. I decide this is a good time for a gin and tonic. The weights for the fight are 215-246. Welp.

MINUTE ONE:
Big John is the ref. he yells LETS GET IT ON, they circle, they circle some more. Dan is still circling, he throws a light no wait, yeah he's circling. And Ken is standing there. Dan is roaming. Dan is roaming. Dan is roaming. Dan is circling, he almost looks to throw a punch but decides against it and instead circles. The announcer goes "I don't know what Dan is doing". At this point I realize they don't have a readily available clock so I can't tell how far along it is. Big John is yelling at them to GET IT ON, they refuse. Occasionally one of them tries to land a strike, it doesn't work. 3 minutes in now, Big John yells LET'S GET IT ON COME ON, they continue to circle. And circle. The crowd begins to boo. A man wearing American flag pants is posted up against the outside of the cage. "I think the audience wants them to get it on" "Still nothing happening" the announcers say. The crowd starts chanting BULLSHIT. I decide I need another drink and start deciding if I want a gin and tonic or a beer.

(PICTURED: Captain America at the top left

The announcers say that neither fighter wants to come out of their game plan, I look for a pint of turpentine instead of watching the rest of this fight.Ken is standing in the middle of the octagon which is probably getting him many points for octagon control while Dan circles around him. The crowd boos some more, Dan actually hits Shamrock in the face and somehow draws some blood, the announcers immediately assume it was a finger nail because honestly that makes the most sense after watching this fight. I think they just have one long round , actually I know they are do, or had, or whatever the gently caress but I can't take a break now because I poured myself a tall one and don't want to check it up right now. Big John calls a timeout to assuredly tell both fighters to grow a pair of loving testicles, I'm pretty sure they end up ignoring his call.

(PICTURED: the fight, all of it)
That old UFC logo was dope as poo poo, the announcers just told me they are 12 MINUTES IN. Someone throws something into the octagon. The commentators are very excited.

Shamrock throws like 2 combos and the announcers have a full 3/4 chub for him because it's like the only action anyone has seen all fight. Dan is still circling Shamrock, he's probably circled him like 60 times throughout the night. I just drank the rest of my drink and our neighbors are wondering what the gently caress I'm watching. Like they literally knocked and were like ARE YOU WATCHING FIGHTS, now the crowd is cheering BORING. HOLY poo poo DAN SEVERN JUST WENT IN ON A LEG, THEY SCRAMBLE, and nothing loving happens.

The crowd just started cheering for the Red Wings and Dan shoots the world's worst single after Ken threw the worlds worst punch. Ken scrambles to the top and ends up in mount but Ken has no idea what to do, he throws some God awful punches while Dan tries to shrug him off. Shamrock's corner yells at him to use his elbow so Ken tries to grind his elbow into Dan's eye.

UNDER SIX MINUTES IN REGULATION
Ken is on top. He's not doing a god drat thing, my brother just walked in here and asked what I was watching. I told him and he threw me a beer. It's a summer beer which I kinda question because it's almost Christmas. He asks if I want to put it on the big screen, I shake my head. Ken gets some relatively good body shots in from on top but then decides instead he'd love to rub his chest into Dan's head some more.

(PICTURED: Ken Shamrock gets on top and does literally nothing)

I just now realized that Ken isn't wearing gloves. Which is something I probably already knew but I guess not. Ken is really trying to rub his elbow and wrist into Dan's head in hopes of opening something up. Dan scrambles out, reverses and ends up on top. I just dro[[ed a beer on the ground but luckily it was empty. He's head butting shamrock from the mount and starts landing some really lovely shots with ONE MINUTE THIRTY LEFT but actually oh man those punches and shots are starting to do damage which is kinda impresssive and oh gently caress that was acutally a niceshot.

uh, the fight is over? No wait it's in overtime. I don't remember this fight at all. YES OVERTIME THREE MINUTE PERIOD OKAY SURE WHY NOT
They circle. Dan is circling. Yes, shocking. The announcers say that heart will be the determining factor. Apparently heart leads to being the guy that tells you where to get in line for 50 cents autograpgh. I'm now drinking straight shots of gin because I don't want to go get tonic from the store. The announcer says there is one minute left in the overtime and the crowd kinda boos and then is very confused. I don't think Dan has thrown a single strike all overtime. THE FIRST OVERTIME IS OVER, Ken looks like somebody threw him in a microwave for 2 mintues.

(PICTURED: all of the fight)
A second overtime is going on, oh my god why is there a second overtime they say this is the last round but I don't even believe them jesus christ this us loving awful and I love Dan Severn

Now they're slap fighting because apparently they just remembered the rules where they aren't supposed to have clsosed fists to the face. This fight has almost gone 30 minutes and I am not happy.Ken tries to shoot in but theres like no time left, dan throws some ugly knees, the fight ends and the commentators say it was a close one, the crowd boos. The dragon jus mentioned he got hit by a cigar butt, more histi is getting thrown into the octagon, that owns, good job detroit.

OF NOTE: They made the judges stand up and hoist a card in the air for whoever they thought won the fight which is pretty funny but also really bad but also awesome.

DAN SEVERN WINS BY SPLIT DECISION, gently caress this poo poo im going to bed

lol

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Please ban the bad man now thanks

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i was watching 11 the other day and lol'd when the ring girl was walking around with ARAXES or something on a card and then tank abbot pushed a guys face against the cage until he tapped out

good posting drunk goon

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Good poo poo. Now lets get another ban in the pagoda this weekend.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I wish they still did this and also had to write their answer like Jeopardy because I want to see how Sal D'Amato spells "Jedrzejczyk"

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Please ban the bad man now thanks

You're doing god's work, Detroit Dogg

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

That was amazing Detroit Dogg. How much alcohol did you need to get through that?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Skip My Posts posted:

Do any mma fighters have enough willpower to transition into a wwf career?

it's like you forgot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB-Ao3JAl3I

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The best thing about Tank Abbot is that his fondest memories of WCW involve his angle with 3 Count.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

According to The Death of WCW, WCW offered to pay for Tank Abbott to take singing lessons. He refused, claiming his voice would still suck even with training.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Maybe that is true. But that's probably not why he refused the lessons.

According to Jeff Sherwood (Sherdog's fat owner and Tank superfriend), Tank loves doing karaoke at lovely dive bars.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Detroit_Dogg posted:

saturday night's other destroyed liver

Now watch Dan Severn / Kimo Leopoldo from Pride 1

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
That was one of the best posts of the 2014.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

christmas truly came early to the pagoda god bless us, every one

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

christmas truly came early to the pagoda god bless us, every one

Thank you cm punk

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

That was amazing Detroit Dogg. How much alcohol did you need to get through that?

idk because yesterday was kinda one long bender that started with brunch mimosas. Probably like 2 and a half tall gin and tonics, 3 Flying Dog beers, a whisky, and then there might have been a random cider throwin in there.

Also I'm glad yall enjoyed it.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
next do the same fight high and one on alpha brain

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/5/8/4312642/team-alpha-male-coach-duane-ludwig-uses-thc-to-get-different-look

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Detroit_Dogg posted:

idk because yesterday was kinda one long bender that started with brunch mimosas. Probably like 2 and a half tall gin and tonics, 3 Flying Dog beers, a whisky, and then there might have been a random cider throwin in there.

Also I'm glad yall enjoyed it.

It was good

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

What's the biggest combo ever pulled off in the MMA world, I'm going to link it to CM Punk

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

probably the ones marquardt did to finish wilson gouveia or tyron woodley

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Dexters Secret posted:

What's the biggest combo ever pulled off in the MMA world, I'm going to link it to CM Punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjAGtQosof0

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Maybe not the biggest combo, but the the barrage of vertical elbows to the body that finished him off still make me wince.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

lmao @ that ref

"should i stop it... eh... i'll let him build meter'

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

lmbo does that ref still have a job?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

lmbo does that ref still have a job?

I know. Sometimes you gotta let the guys fight a little before you step in like that.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ty1990 posted:

I know. Sometimes you gotta let the guys fight a little before you step in like that.

Joe Warren was still standing for Christ's sake!

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Joe Warren was still standing for Christ's sake!

does it really count when you're leaned back against the cage

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dexters Secret posted:

does it really count when you're leaned back against the cage

:thejoke:

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
They count me as standing when I have to lean on the bar

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

no i understand that was 'thejoke', i was more referring to what policies the refs are supposed to follow for fight stoppage. does leaning back against the cage count for anything? i assume it must because for some reason the ref had his thumb in his rear end

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Dexters Secret posted:

no i understand that was 'thejoke', i was more referring to what policies the refs are supposed to follow for fight stoppage. does leaning back against the cage count for anything? i assume it must because for some reason the ref had his thumb in his rear end

the fight is supposed to be stopped by a referee when a fighter is no longer intelligently defending himself. if a fighter is still "intelligently" defending themselves but is still taking an enormous amount of damage then it falls on the corner to throw in the towel.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dexters Secret posted:

The colloquial term is 'no longer defending himself intelligently.' This can mean (and has meant) anything from Jonny Hendricks landing a few glancing shots on a prone but fully conscious Amir Sadollah or Jones vibrating his elbow near Matyushenko's forehead in a crucifix on the ground, to the Curran/Warren massacre above or Cyborg hammering Carano's head into the mat for ten seconds straight.

Early stoppages were way more common Back In the Day though.

e: Martin Kampmann took a blasting not half as bad against Paul Daley against the cage, and got stopped. I'm sure there's loads of other examples. There's a lot of granularity depending on the referee. John McCarthy gives fighters every chance to recover (to the degree that Overeem got like five punches in on an unconscious Stefan Struve, very uncomfortable stuff) while Yves Lavinge has (had?) a reputation for calling fights at the first sign of trouble.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 22, 2014

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Dexters Secret posted:

Well, you don't see a ton of standing TKOs (last one I remember was Bethe Correia over Shayna Baszler) but the referee is not prohibited from stopping the fight if the person getting beat up is technically still on their feet. I think most refs would have jumped in when Warren fell to one knee the first time.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Well, you don't see a ton of standing TKOs (last one I remember was Bethe Correia over Shayna Baszler) but the referee is not prohibited from stopping the fight if the person getting beat up is technically still on their feet. I think most refs would have jumped in when Warren fell to one knee the first time.

Diaz Maynard was a standing KO that was real ugly because the ref didn't do his job and help Maynard when he was out on his feet, instead Maynard stumbled down like a pisshead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Dr. Abysmal posted:

counterpoint- it's fun to watch joe warren get battered and the ref was probably just enjoying the moment

• Locked thread