Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kolibri seriously kicks rear end and everyone should play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-se/games/after-burner-climax/cid=EP0177-NPEB00175_00-AFTERBURNERCMX00

This is the last day of After Burner Climax on Euro PSN as it gets taken down tomorrow. I just bought it, just need to find a decent price on a SuperSlim.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Saoshyant posted:

Quite. The fact a cable required to put the thing working isn't shipped alongside with the system (it came out when the MD2 had already been around for a couple of years) is absurdly baffling.

It originally came with all the cables required to play on either Genesis revision.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Here's a guy claiming to have a Playchoice 10 Arcade cabinet.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/vgm/4809466701.html

Yours for the low, low price of $800 :retrogames:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Vanagoon posted:

Here's a guy claiming to have a Playchoice 10 Arcade cabinet.

Bolded because that picture is from http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/nes/31.php

Someone's waiting to mug a game nerd carrying $800 in cash.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Ah, drat it. Thought it might be bogus. That's why I posted it here.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Vanagoon posted:

Ah, drat it. Thought it might be bogus. That's why I posted it here.

Why would you even want to go to Moscow for anything in the first place?

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Throwing in my usual recommendation for Stellar Assault on the 32X.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

The world's a bad place, man.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

4) Street Fighter 2010 is a hilarious game

"Hilarious" is not the word I'd choose.

Chainclaw posted:

6) The Akira game for the famicom is a boring text/adventure game (this wasn't an insurance game, I just wanted to play Famicom games while my Japanese speaker friend was over)

Yeah. Even in Japan it has a reputation for being pretty boring.

Chainclaw posted:

7) Square's Tom Sawyer game is super racist

I'm just impressed that they made something worse than The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (the NES game, not the novel, obviously).

Heran Bago posted:

Is there any interest in doing a roman lottery with ROMs / ISOs?

Don't be absurd. There's no way I'd do something like that...

I just wanted to say that so I'd surprise everyone.

For organizational purposes I'd drop the "ROMs / ISOs" thing and just say "cartridge games". Everyone knows how everyone is going to obtain obscure games at a moment's notice and scaling things down a little may help some people.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Searching around for video options on the 7800, I found this site selling circuit boards for getting s-video and composite out of the 2600 and 7800. http://electronicsentimentalities.com/Assembled%20Mods.html
Is this a reputable site? Has anyone order these boards?

I knew RGB out of the 2600 is pretty much impossible, the TIA chip on the 2600 doesn't work in RGB. I wasn't sure about the 7800 but it sounds like a similar situation, so s-video is the best you can get out of either system.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I got an early Christmas gift from a friend in Japan! Unfortunately I only have a Famicom so I can't try those Ultraman games.

I had trouble booting up most of the carts except for Yoshi which seems to be in new condition. Do you guys clean the contacts with q-tips dipped in 99% iso? I'm kinda paranoid now to put dirty carts into my beloved mint green twinfam but I guess that's why the Everdrive has it's firm hold in that slot. I just like to test to make sure the games are ok.

The Sunsoft game is really fun. Can someone ID it for me? I can't remember any of my hiragana or katakana but those lips...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Housh posted:

The Sunsoft game is really fun. Can someone ID it for me? I can't remember any of my hiragana or katakana but those lips...

The ever-infamous Ikki.

There's an Ikki Online for PS3, if you can believe it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7QZdsJXlf4&t=1s (gameplay at 1:10)

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 22, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Housh posted:

Do you guys clean the contacts with q-tips dipped in 99% iso?

Everything you could possibly want to know about cart cleaning.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

mikeycp posted:

I really need to get to cutting through my retro backlog. I have a bunch of random flea market grabs I haven't touched beyond testing to make sure they work.

This is me to a T several times over. I will one day tackle my backlog I swear. 99% of RPGs have pretty much been moved to the bottom of the list so I can simply sink xx hours into multiple non-RPG games vs 1 or 2 RPGs. I have to weigh so many options but damnit just like usual I'll probably end up playing a game I've already played for the past 20 years again just because...but I will break that habit damnit. I'm starting off slow now, and playing games I played a little bit of when I was young but not much. 2 games I'm trying out again now are SNES Populous and SNES 7th Saga (yes the 1% RPG that squeezed through my list(

This gif perfectly describes the control/hit box/style of the game. As always you are the video game gif master.

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Throwing in my usual recommendation for Stellar Assault on the 32X.

Agreed, and also wanted to point out that T-Mek although weird is actually a pretty drat cool mech game for the 32x. The good games far outweigh the bad in my opinion, so pretty much any 32x game you pick up guarantees you at least a few minutes of fun if not more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibCTZyMNNuc

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Housh posted:

Ikki (riot/uprising) is to the FC, what Samurai Shodown II is to the NeoGeo: THE GREATEST FIGHTER. Just laugh it off when people claim its a kusoge.

zari-gani posted:

Ikki Online for PS3

Matchmaking was bad from the start on that one but lovely when it worked, great fun! I advise everybody to use retro-mode to get the FC/NES A/V running though. Cheap and much recommended, it's a challenging but frankly, fair though overwhelming game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tyson Tomko posted:

This gif perfectly describes the control/hit box/style of the game.

If anyone cares, you have to back up, then run through so you can safely stop between them, then inch up on the next pillar so it triggers and you can run (you have to run, walking and jumping do not work) past it, and while doing this hope that the enemies you killed don't respawn behind you to run up and instantly knock you into the trap.

MrLonghair posted:

Ikki (riot/uprising) is to the FC, what Samurai Shodown II is to the NeoGeo: THE GREATEST FIGHTER. Just laugh it off when people claim its a kusoge.

I will never understand the defenders of Ikki. It's a disaster with terrible controls and painful gameplay.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

missing from that wiki: If you go over permanent marker with dry erase marker then wipe with isopropyl, you can take off 90-100% without risking damage like with magic erasers.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thank you!

Random Stranger posted:

I will never understand the defenders of Ikki. It's a disaster with terrible controls and painful gameplay.
The few minutes I played seemed pretty cool as it reminded me of studying Jidaigeki films. I couldn't figure out how to control the direction of the projectile until I realized it was aimbot.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Tyson Tomko posted:

SNES Populous

This is in my backlog too. I tried playing it, but I should've listened when people said to find and read a manual first.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
If you run into any carts that still don't load after a cleaning with IPA, the single best thing you can buy is a brass brush. With a brass brush and some solvent, I've brought carts from the 70s back to life that were so corroded and nasty I figured they were beyond hope.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I finally had some time to get organized and take pics and test the stuff from that haul I posted a week or so ago that I want to sell and I have to say that every time I see the 3DO's fmv I'm impressed. Maybe because I lump it in with Sega CD instead of PlayStation.

I also learned I am just crap at 3DO's Road Rash. But it is drat pretty. I'm liking this system more and more.

The PlayStation has a Thrill Kill sticker on it, a port in the back for Game Sharks(and a game shark), and loads games. I'm half tempted to keep it since I don't have a reliable one with that port and I think the Thrill Kill sticker is Badass, but I have half a dozen ps1's in storage already.

I keep saying this over pm's, but I really should have a thread up in a day or two.

Edit:

Look at that loving Badass sticker! Game so bitchin it got cancelled after it was finished for being too violent.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 22, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Housh posted:

Do you guys clean the contacts with q-tips dipped in 99% iso?

My brother gave me a bunch of SNES games for Christmas. We tried booting a couple and they were having trouble, so I scrubbed them out and they worked perfectly. Blew his mind, he thought I was a crazy man haha.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

MrLonghair posted:

Bolded because that picture is from http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/nes/31.php

It would have taken either a nerd or someone that has one to even fathom making that post.
Either it's a troll or someone too lazy to take their own picture, but I highly doubt it's to mug someone.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

RodShaft posted:

Look at that loving Badass sticker! Game so bitchin it got cancelled after it was finished for being too violent.
I remember having a bootleg copy of Thrill Kill. Now I want to track down a copy of Shaolin Style.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I had a copy of Shaolin Style. I tried to go back and play it again recently and it feels so clunky and weird.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

The only 32X games that are good are Knuckles Chaotix, Kolibri, Star Wars Arcade, and Virtua Racing

The only games that are worth it for their novelty is that Spiderman game which is ungodly rare(but it's terrible to play). Doom(it's the worst version of the game also not worth playing), and Virtua Fighter(if you can't get the Saturn version).

The library is so small(but not Virtual boy small) that you could in theory play and beat every single game available for it within a week.

To be honest, I think Star Wars Arcade is pretty bad, but the system has cool versions of Space Harrier, After Burner, and Blackthorne that make it worth it on top of the aforementioned T-Mek. The version of Virtua Fighter is really good, but if you have access to a Saturn, PS3, or 360 I'd just stick with Virtua Fighter 2. Still glad I own a copy though.

And Virtua Racing 32X is the best version of the game and my personal favorite arcade racing game, even if Daytona has the awesome soundtrack.

mikeycp posted:

This is in my backlog too. I tried playing it, but I should've listened when people said to find and read a manual first.

Same here. I got the game when I ended up with a good SNES collection after never owning one in my life and I was confused and put the game away. Though with that SNES collection I got to play through some amazing games for the first time. In the last few months I have completed Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, and Breath of Fire. Now I have to move on to Mega Man X and Super Mario RPG. I also found out I really need to buy copies of Killer Instinct and Yoshi's Island.

I also got really sad the other day when I found out if i want to own a real copy of The Ninja Warriors I probably have to shell out $90 :(

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 22, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I don't want to have to plug different things in and switch wires on my Model 1, so I've decided Master System support is more important than 32X support.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

just get a cheap model 2 and have them both hooked up, problem solved

also...

Cubey posted:

Kolibri seriously kicks rear end and everyone should play it

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Housh posted:

I got an early Christmas gift from a friend in Japan! Unfortunately I only have a Famicom so I can't try those Ultraman games.

I had trouble booting up most of the carts except for Yoshi which seems to be in new condition. Do you guys clean the contacts with q-tips dipped in 99% iso? I'm kinda paranoid now to put dirty carts into my beloved mint green twinfam but I guess that's why the Everdrive has it's firm hold in that slot. I just like to test to make sure the games are ok.

Nice haul! There's always been something very cool about receiving international packages to me, especially ones chock full of retro fun times!

On that note, what's the state of affairs regarding buying stuff from online Japanese stores now? I seem to recall kerfuffles with Surugaya and Rakuten and whomever, along with maybe some legislative changes in Japan, that seem to have put a damper on people buying.lots from overseas. Used to be a lot more posts of people's delivery hauls...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

On that note, what's the state of affairs regarding buying stuff from online Japanese stores now? I seem to recall kerfuffles with Surugaya and Rakuten and whomever, along with maybe some legislative changes in Japan, that seem to have put a damper on people buying.lots from overseas. Used to be a lot more posts of people's delivery hauls...

You still have to jump through regulatory hoops to do any kind of cross-Pacific business. Individuals on eBay are likely to just ignore them, of course, but buying from large retailers and having things shipped to you is a pain.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Oh I didn't know there was a retrogoon wiki now as well, some good info there. Needs more work making it less US centric and straightening some things out though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

You still have to jump through regulatory hoops to do any kind of cross-Pacific business. Individuals on eBay are likely to just ignore them, of course, but buying from large retailers and having things shipped to you is a pain.

I just paid entirely too much money to Tenso, and will probably have to pay even more to Canada customs when it arrives, my only comfort is that part of its contents is all the missing hardware I needed to do 8-player Smash with legit Gamecube controllers. :pcgaming:

Unless one of my mystery items is some huge thing, though, that means I probably won't order anything further using an Amazon/Tenso strategy, waaaay too :retrogames:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Saoshyant posted:

I have a MD1, MD2 and a Multi Mega. I have no idea why it was easier to get a Multi Mega than a 32X, but anyway you are saying that with the MD2 I don't need a cable? Either way, how expensive are those cables?

e: oh god, tell me I can do this so I can have the most retarded looking Voltron console.

drat, didn't see this. So I need a cable either way and the drat things are that expensive. So much for my 32X dream.

In all honesty I do prefer running a 32X on a CDX. You can still open the CD door enough to change games safely, and you have to deal with one less power cord.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I thought I would share this here since you guys helped me figure out how to capture through my VCR.
Here is me teaching my 69 year old father how to play Super Mario Bros :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avsnk7PCQG8

Growing up as a latchkey kid I always wished my dad was around to experience video games with me. Now that he's retired I decided to make it my mission to turn him into a gamer.
He said he wants to try Pac-Man next. :v:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Hello retro thread. Please have a look at this.

It's Playstation Underground issue 5.1, the only one that a) is PS2 exclusive b) has one disc and c) I can't loving find. Seriously I managed to get a sealed copy of the E3 1998 exclusive "best of year one" issue for $5 and I've literally never seen 5.1 at all. It's the last issue I need to finish this big dumb collection I've been working on for the past few months so if you or anyone you know has a (complete, not just the disc) copy they'd be willing to part with please get at me. THANKS

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kthulhu5000 posted:

If the person selling Japanese games is located in the west then it's no problem.

But if the ebay seller is located in Japan or the large company you're buying from is located in japan it's a pain in the rear end and more expensive than it was before, and there is a high chance of snags(i.e. the item never making it past customs and being sent back).

It's no longer the smooth sailing it once was. Gone are the days where you would order 30 games for Super Famicom for 50 bucks and it would arrive within a week or so.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

You used to be able to order 30 super famicom games for 50 bucks? Wow that's so cheap. What happened? What were the legislative changes exactly?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The_Frag_Man posted:

You used to be able to order 30 super famicom games for 50 bucks? Wow that's so cheap. What happened? What were the legislative changes exactly?

Japan uses an 18th century banking system, rather than reforming it, they decided to double down on it.

All in all I wound up importing well over 100 games because Saturn and SNES stuff was so cheap that some games were being sold for 50 cents. And Japanese used games come in like brand new condition even if they're cart only.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The_Frag_Man posted:

You have to provide the store you're buying from an official form of identification to let them know you will not use the product you buy, in this case retro video games, as a tool for terrorism.

I'm not kidding.

• Locked thread