Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Trigger for Library goes on the stack, you may respond before they draw extra cards. Once you pass priority, the ability must resolve fully, there is no pause anywhere, you cannot do anything else until it is fully resolved.

So you're saying you can respond with a spell after they've drawn their card for the turn but before they draw the additional two? Good to know.

Edit: Wait, Library's trigger happens at the beginning of the draw step. Does that mean the player decides to put the trigger on the stack before he/she draws their first card? So when it resolves, the player is just drawing all 3 at once and resolving the ability?

qbert fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Why are they saying you can't bounce Emrakul with Karakas outside of the first main but before it attacks? Can't you bounce it at the Beginning of Combat phase?

EDIT: Oh, duh, Sneak Attack is an instant ability.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

qbert posted:

So you're saying you can respond with a spell after they've drawn their card for the turn but before they draw the additional two? Good to know.

Edit: Wait, Library's trigger happens at the beginning of the draw step. Does that mean the player decides to put the trigger on the stack before he/she draws their first card? So when it resolves, the player is just drawing all 3 at once and resolving the ability?

No. Your regular draw happens. Then you put the Sylvan Library trigger on the stack. See this ruling: "You always perform your normal draw before this ability because the normal draw occurs before anything is placed on the stack." This can be found on the Gatherer page for Sylvan Library: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383120

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Any turn based actions that happen in a step happen before the round of priority in that step.

You declare your attackers before you get priority in the declare attackers step.
You draw before you get priority in the draw step.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So could you draw, have a sylvan trigger, brainstorm in response to the tigger, and put two back that you drew from the brainstorm?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Kraus posted:

No. Your regular draw happens. Then you put the Sylvan Library trigger on the stack. See this ruling: "You always perform your normal draw before this ability because the normal draw occurs before anything is placed on the stack." This can be found on the Gatherer page for Sylvan Library: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383120

Ah I see, thanks. So Library + Counterbalance lock is not nearly as strong as I thought.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

TheKingofSprings posted:

So could you draw, have a sylvan trigger, brainstorm in response to the tigger, and put two back that you drew from the brainstorm?

Yes.

e: that doesn't actually do anything special versus casting brainstorm after resolving sylvan.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dr. Stab posted:

Yes.

e: that doesn't actually do anything special versus casting brainstorm after resolving sylvan.

It sure does. It requires a judge call.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

As suicidesteve said, if you do this call a judge. The library lets you put back any card drawn this turn, which would include the three drawn off brainstorm. So in theory you could end up with option of 6 different cards to choose from off library. There really isn't a way to resolve this without calling a judge, sylvan library is a dumb card and tracking hidden information is a dumb mechanic.

VV Just flat out don't do it without a judge present.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 21, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah be really drat careful casting brainstorm with sylvan out during your upkeep, you can get in some srs trouble with this idiot combo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you don't mind revealing to your opponent whether you're putting back cards you drew this turn (rather than cards you already had in hand), you can resolve it without a judge just by keeping them separate from the rest of your hand.

On the other hand, you're not required to reveal that information to your opponent, and the only way to correctly resolve it without doing so is by having a judge to check that you're returning cards you drew this turn.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Patching MTGO to get the old Alpha art for the Power 9 somehow makes drafting the Holiday Cube so much more satisfying. It brings back these memories of being a kid and lusting after these unbelievably expensive $300 cards. http://brainstormbrewery.com/vintage-masters-original-art-swap-magic-online-patch/

Holland Oats fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 22, 2014

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Here's a weird edge case that we're not sure the ruling of:

We're playing EDH. My opponent has a Sarkhan out, turned into a 4/4 dragon, attacking me for lethal damage. I have a card out that gives my sorcery cards Flash, so I play Scrambleverse (because I am an rear end in a top hat). Permanents are redistributed, and the original owner of Sarkhan ends up with Sarkhan again. Since Sarkhan never leaves the battlefield, would it still be attacking me?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Yeah, it's still the same game object and nothing's happened to make its attack illegal. It's just untapped now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cheesegod posted:

Here's a weird edge case that we're not sure the ruling of:

We're playing EDH. My opponent has a Sarkhan out, turned into a 4/4 dragon, attacking me for lethal damage. I have a card out that gives my sorcery cards Flash, so I play Scrambleverse (because I am an rear end in a top hat). Permanents are redistributed, and the original owner of Sarkhan ends up with Sarkhan again. Since Sarkhan never leaves the battlefield, would it still be attacking me?

If he had lost control of it, obviously it wouldn't still be attacking. But since he kept it, it seems like it will still be attacking, yes. And you deserve it.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Please Gerard, please.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I like Gerard's deck better but MAN did he draw terribly.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Niton posted:

Amusingly, no - that's from a different piece of policy entirely. It's uncommon so it's not affected by the reserve list.

Actually was joking. I'm aware of Underground Sea being $350, unfortunately.

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007
Who put my stapler in jello!?!?
I just played in my first powered cube this year and won 3-0. I had a sweet esper control deck and won the final game because of a turn 2 blightsteel colossus, thanks to a Tinker and Chrome Mox

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Just faced a guy in the finals of single elim cube who had the following pieces of power 12:

Mox Pearl
Mox Sapphire
Mox Ruby
Sol Ring
Ancestral Recall
Library of Alexandria

I tutored for Jitte g3 and won on turn 16 with him having cast all of them and having gone through 31 cards, after his start of Land - Mox - Sol Ring - 3play. #YOLO

(WHO THE gently caress PASSES THESE CARDS WHY ARE YOU EVEN DOING CUBE IF YOU ARENT GOING TO TAKE POWER)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh my god Cube is great so far.

T1: Forest, Noble Hierarch.
T2: Birds of Paradise, Gaea's Cradle, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Courser of Kruphix.
T3: Forest, Acidic Slime destroying land, Primal Command putting a land on top of his library and getting me Terastodon.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I just did my first holiday cube.

P1P1 Ancestral recall, ended up splashing it in a R/W aggro deck.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Found this on Reddit:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Holy poo poo that's raw as hell

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I love the idea of two Kings and MURDERGOATS visiting the manger.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Lost in the finals of a holiday cube with a sweet GW pod deck. I won one match through two wurmcoils thanks to Acidic Slime, big Elspeth and Elesh Norn.

In the finals I faced a turn two Show and Tell of Kozilek, putting in my own O-ring. Lost that one when I couldn't find a second forest in time.
Game two a turn three Show and Tell of Emrakul was not beaten by my Moat. He even had the lightning greaves for style points.

This is my second draft of a pod deck where I didn't activate pod once. At least I got it into play one game this time.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
God drat Reid Duke vs Ross Merriam game 2 was sick.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I drafted some bullshit gw weenie/ramp deck. I don't know what the gently caress was going on but I won 2-1. My 3rd match was the best, he was on green ramp. Game 1 he crushed me with master of the wild hunt and avenger of zendikar, then craterhoof to swing for 240? g3 was the best, I go t3 garruk wildspeaker, t5 nissa. I won by over-running garruk with several 7/7 trampling lands.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

vOv posted:

Found this on Reddit:

These Loss edits are getting really weird.

Fake edit: The Bible is a Loss edit, too.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

I've no idea what Ive been doing with Holiday Cube, and have lost most of my games. This was one of the few I won, and holy poo poo that board state.

This is so much fun.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 22, 2014

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

first holiday cube since they took out storm

people forgot how to draft against storm or something?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tonetta posted:

first holiday cube since they took out storm

people forgot how to draft against storm or something?

LSV got a 45th pick LED last night, so yes; I think people forgot about Storm. He also got some other ridiculous 45th pick that shows how people forget how good fast mana is. I think it was Tolarian Academy.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

How have CFB run GPs been? they've agreed to do GP Liverpool after Gordian Knot have had all wotc ties severed.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

mehall posted:

How have CFB run GPs been? they've agreed to do GP Liverpool after Gordian Knot have had all wotc ties severed.

Oh! I though GK were still doing the scheduled GPs?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

suicidesteve posted:

LSV got a 45th pick LED last night, so yes; I think people forgot about Storm. He also got some other ridiculous 45th pick that shows how people forget how good fast mana is. I think it was Tolarian Academy.

I got a gaea's cradle at pick 43? idk what this game is anymore

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Played against streamer dzyl who managed to have kiki jiki + pestermite the first game and sneak attack + blightsteel the second game. Ah well.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

More cube stories - Kenji's opponent just popped LED into Memory Jar, with a scroll rack to save the best of whatever he drew. Played some fast mana and some spells, including a Myr Battlesphere. Great great turn.

Then, on End Step, Kenji gets back the Brain Freeze the Jar had set aside, storm count = 5. One regrowth and Freeze later, his opponent is decked.

Oh, cube.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I had a crappy draft with first pick skull clamp, second pick stoneforge and then just not getting anything. If I had switched early enough I could have had a deck with kiki, twin, pestermite, and exarch, and/or a storm deck with minds desire, brain freeze, time spiral and wheel of fortune.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh! I though GK were still doing the scheduled GPs?

Nope, pretty much immediate effect.
CFB were confirmed by Wizards this morning for Liverpool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Why did the price of the player rewards Damnation tank in price? It was $30-50 for a long time, and I held onto it thinking it could only go up. Now I'm not salty about it because I just discovered $2000+ worth of foils in my Commander-ables box that I hadn't priced in over a year, but I can't think of a reason this one went down.

• Locked thread