Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I love that the target pips are a swarm of angry bees.

Gorson posted:

I was trying out scanning last night. Does the scanner work as a sphere around you, or a cone in front of you? I was in some sectors around Jotunheim, and managed to discover one of the unexplored binary stars in a system through sheer stupid luck. I was about to jump to another system when I noticed a star was moving against the static background some 5000ls away. When I scan it, and its associated planets/moons, does that information become available to everyone? Because if so: that is loving awesome.
The discovery scanner, i.e. the Inception noise producer, works in a sphere around you. If you buy an intermediate or advanced discovery scanner, it will totally replace the basic discovery scanner and increase the sphere radius. The targeting scanner, the thing that tells you if ships are clean/wanted and also what turns planets from "Undiscovered" into a named planet, works in a cone in front of you and only on your current target. The detailed surface scanner automatically piggybacks onto the targeting scanner. Other manual scanners, such as the k-warrant and cargo scanners, work in a cone in front of you but only when manually fired.

Systems being undiscovered does not mean that you are the first person to find them. Otherwise, everything near populated systems would be gone already.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Raziel Eldwor posted:

Take a look at about 1 min in. His lasers are barely doing anything. Also if your opponent has chaff then what?

Wait a few seconds then resume firing?

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Wait a few seconds then resume firing?

What if you are too dead to resume firing?

Or they could just use it again. What's chaffs reload time? It has 30 ammo.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Elite: Dangerous Release Diary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQou9-QmjAo

Some christmas thank you's from the Brabster himself.

EDIT: and the new official manual: http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/website/assets/ELITE-DANGEROUS-GAME-MANUAL.pdf

Bloody Wanker fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 22, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Third World Reggin posted:

Ram him as you are a wedge in space

Next ship should be a giant sledge hammer that doesn't mount weapons but also doesn't take any collision damage

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

ManicJason posted:

I love that the target pips are a swarm of angry bees.

The discovery scanner, i.e. the Inception noise producer, works in a sphere around you. If you buy an intermediate or advanced discovery scanner, it will totally replace the basic discovery scanner and increase the sphere radius. The targeting scanner, the thing that tells you if ships are clean/wanted and also what turns planets from "Undiscovered" into a named planet, works in a cone in front of you and only on your current target. The detailed surface scanner automatically piggybacks onto the targeting scanner. Other manual scanners, such as the k-warrant and cargo scanners, work in a cone in front of you but only when manually fired.

Systems being undiscovered does not mean that you are the first person to find them. Otherwise, everything near populated systems would be gone already.

Cool, thanks. I figured I wasn't the first person there, but if there are undiscovered planets, and I discover them, is the map updated server-wide?

SquadronROE posted:

Does this just connect through the whatever connector into USB? Gonna play with this ASAP.

I haven't used this CCP before (I am going to now because it looks cool) but in general these types of things work through WiFi. You install a "server" program on the desktop and the wireless device communicates through your network, sending commands to the "server" program which are then translated into keyboard/mouse inputs that your desktop and application can understand.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Raziel Eldwor posted:

So just buy fixed lasers because they do more damage, generate less heat, and are much cheaper.

But then they don't also aim into your blind spots. You can have both without being an idiot.

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

But then they don't also aim into your blind spots. You can have both without being an idiot.

Having both is fine but many people run around with nothing but gimballed weapons.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bloody Wanker posted:

Elite: Dangerous Release Diary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQou9-QmjAo

Some christmas thank you's from the Brabster himself.

EDIT: and the new official manual: http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/website/assets/ELITE-DANGEROUS-GAME-MANUAL.pdf

This David Braben dude in that vid makes me happy I bought this game, I mean, look at his delighted little face with his little Santa hat on, and a sun as the star on his Christmas tree there, he just exudes an enthusiasm that I love, you can tell he lives and breathes this game and fuckin god bless the fella, I hope he gets everything he wants out of all this.

I'm on Team Braben

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I took a mission to find 2 pirates, and I'm in the system and have no idea how to find them. What am I looking for? When I scan an npc will it list them as Pirate/Wanted or Clean?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Gorson posted:

Cool, thanks. I figured I wasn't the first person there, but if there are undiscovered planets, and I discover them, is the map updated server-wide?

No. People have to either explore themselves or buy exploration data that you sell to stations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That was interesting. I interdicted a player Cobra in Jotunheim, and he disappeared in the middle of the fight - when he was just about to kill me. Like he got shifted to another instance or something?

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013

Ak Gara posted:

I took a mission to find 2 pirates, and I'm in the system and have no idea how to find them. What am I looking for? When I scan an npc will it list them as Pirate/Wanted or Clean?

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2pl6gn/how_to_spot_traderspiratesbounty_hunters/

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

The mission should have given you their names.

Step 1: Jump to system in question.
Step 2: Remain in super cruise, decelerate to 30km/s (Slowest you can go) enter every USS (Unidentified Signal Source) that pops up in front of you, submit to every interdiction.
Step 3: If said USS does not contain a ship going by the name given to you in the mission then charge up your drive and jump back out. (Or kill anyone who's wanted)
Step 4: Now repeat steps 2-3 until you come across a ship with the name you're hunting.
Step 5: Destroy said ship if you can.
Step 6: Profit.

When you lock on to a ship (Keep your hardpoints closed until you're certain you're going to shoot) their names will pop up on the lower left screen in your HUD. Point your ship at them and a scan will automatically commense. You're looking for wanted targets that have the name given to you by the mission. Wanted targets, at the same time, will give you bounty credits if you pop their hulls wide open. So to engage or not to engage is entirely on you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

peter gabriel posted:

This David Braben dude in that vid makes me happy I bought this game, I mean, look at his delighted little face with his little Santa hat on, and a sun as the star on his Christmas tree there, he just exudes an enthusiasm that I love, you can tell he lives and breathes this game and fuckin god bless the fella, I hope he gets everything he wants out of all this.

I'm on Team Braben

That video made me want a pair of Fuzzy Dice Coriolis stations to hang in my Cobra's Cockpit.

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014

Luccion posted:

I use small gimballed beam lasers and medium gimballed autocannons on my unshielded Carg-obra Mk III. Usually, the accuracy and dmg of all four hitting a ship smaller then me wrecks them in a few passes, so I approve. For larger targets, I run, because.... I have no shields.

I'm going to take this suggestion. And lol at that last sentence.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Thanks, I found 2 :)

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Ak Gara posted:

You can check which factions are present in the system by either looking on the System Map (it'll just show you a list of factions on the left panel if you're not selecting any planets/stars/stations/belts on the map), or looking on the right-hand info panel in your cockpit. Ideally there'll be an actual pirate/crime faction listed (groups with names like the Blue Brothers, or the [system name] Drug Pirate Syndicate, that're described as "unfettered" are what you really want) and you can just fly around, dropping into Unidentified Signal Sources and NPC hotspots (Nav Beacons and Resource Extraction Points in metallic rings around gas giants are apparently your best bets, but I've had more luck with USS encounters) looking for guys your scanner says are wanted and belong to that faction to kill. Failing there being a specific pirate faction in system, you're going to have to use your best judgement, or just supercruise around at "0" throttle and submit to any interdiction, any hostile NPC doing that to you should count as a pirate.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
^^^^

That too. I didn't even think about normal pirate missions. I immediately thought about the "Go kill so-and-so for 150k"

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That video made me want a pair of Fuzzy Dice Coriolis stations to hang in my Cobra's Cockpit.

Do I hear DLC? It's a fuckin slap in the face if so

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Normally I would kill a man using this name.

But he was fighting against The Man in Kappa Fornacis, so he gets a pass. Also, Federal Battlecruisers scare me :ohdear:, all those lasers, it was swatting small ships left and right. It was exciting flying down its gullet though.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I just don't get lasers. I fit up a new Viper after making my pilgrimage to Big Harry's, and decided to try out lasers. Even with a blinged out reactor and power doohicky, the lasers get all of 3 salvos off before going into thermal gently caress-you mode.

I mean I like the idea of zapping dudes with laser beams, but 4 big-rear end machine guns seems way more effective.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

On the Viper, I've been using two class 2 fixed beams for peeling off shields and gimballed multi-cannons for after. Seems effective.

Arcade fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 22, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Wowzers so these things have blast doors?

Anyone ever seen them in person?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6mE4XHfeLs&t=15s

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Enos Shenk posted:

I just don't get lasers. I fit up a new Viper after making my pilgrimage to Big Harry's, and decided to try out lasers. Even with a blinged out reactor and power doohicky, the lasers get all of 3 salvos off before going into thermal gently caress-you mode.

I mean I like the idea of zapping dudes with laser beams, but 4 big-rear end machine guns seems way more effective.

Put more pips in weapons?

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:
Anybody know what people are paying for those premium beta accounts with unlimited upgrades?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Oh god, I'm so far from Big Harry's :negative:

E: Is there a way to chart a route to somewhere far away without waiting in the galaxy map for an inordinate amount of time?

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 22, 2014

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Is there any way to pay off my ship replacement loan? I have more than enough cash to pay it off, but I can't find the option anywhere on contacts. Does it have to be in the station that gave me my replacement ship?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Icedude posted:

Is there any way to pay off my ship replacement loan? I have more than enough cash to pay it off, but I can't find the option anywhere on contacts. Does it have to be in the station that gave me my replacement ship?

10% of all money you make goes to paying it off, as far as I know you can't do it manually. Although I suppose you could pay it off by buying something and selling it back to the commodities market immediately. :shrug:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Enos Shenk posted:

A style thing really. I personally can't stand ammo weapons because it feels like a tax on fighting. I run a Viper with two class 2 fixed beam lasers and it owns. You get real comfortable with power management.

I'm going to see if I can wedge a plasma accelerator on there as well....

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Broccoli Cat posted:

Anybody know what people are paying for those premium beta accounts with unlimited upgrades?

Can't say I've seen one for sale. This isn't that other game.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Broccoli Cat posted:

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Kesper North posted:

I'd like to talk about guns, particularly for the Cobra and Asp.

I've still been focusing on multicannons and lasers in my weapons loadouts, but I've noticed people talking about weapons other than multicannons lately - what do you think are good combat loadouts for these ships?

Also, I like the idea of using fixed weapons on the Asp because they're so well placed, but I think my accuracy is poo poo. Is it worth it to use them anyway?

There's no way it's the best fit, but 6x gimballed cannons on an Asp is probably the second funniest fit.

The funniest is, hands down, 6x torpedos.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Raziel Eldwor posted:

Take a look at about 1 min in. His lasers are barely doing anything. Also if your opponent has chaff then what?

You untarget him and they fire straight ahead. Also unless he has 2 chaff and he's alternating them (can you even do that?) you still get a decent amount of gimbal function time.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Where are the combat zones at the mo?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

No. People have to either explore themselves or buy exploration data that you sell to stations.

Isn't the answer yes? I mean they have to upgrade the servers to allow a player to buy exploration data other players collected, this doesn't happen by magic.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I ended up clearing my save because I wanted to rename my character, because I am a sperg and I want to be 'Commander Gibson Cole' and not 'Commander Ryllynyth'. :spergin:

But when voice comms and friends lists came up in mumble chat and I gave someone my character name, he searched on it and it instead returns a hit on the old character that has been deleted/cleared? :iiam:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Berious posted:

Where are the combat zones at the mo?

Known conflict zones include:

Sorbago Slave Revolt - Locals vs Imperial, 2 Imperial Interdictor Cruisers present
Jera Civil War - Locals vs Locals (one side backed by Senator Patreus, Imperial Capital ships may be involved, can't remember)
Kappa Fornacis Blockade - Federation vs Locals, 3 Federal Battlecruisers present.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 22, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Broccoli Cat posted:

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Thank you for reposting this, I just queued them up on Spotify, zoned out and murdered pirates at an Anarchic RES, and made a million credits before I even realized it. :cheers:

• Locked thread