Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Loskene posted:

I'm currently registered to do two pre-req courses in order to qualify for admission into a two-year RN program at my local university. It's a program that requires an existing degree (I have two, a business degree and an arts degree) and a 3.0 GPA for consideration (I have a 3.41). Before I spend eight months of my life doing the courses I wanted to find out the exact criteria for admission. The admissions office has been pretty evasive, telling me that the only thing that really matters is having a 3.0 GPA, the pre-req courses and an academic reference. I have all of these.

I've not really been able to find a lot of information on who gets in. They can't/won't tell me the average GPA of the last batch of admitted students and the only person I could find who has done the program is a math major who go accepted on a full scholarship and a 3.9 GPA so not a good gauge of an average applicant.

The program is the BSn Fast Track Option at Memorial University of Newfoundland.

Given that I have above the minimum GPA and an academic reference, what would be my chances given that I do not have a science background?

Evasive means they want your money without the guarantee of getting in the program. Diversify those options pronto buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loskene
Apr 1, 2006

Be correct, we do not tolerate deciet

Roki B posted:

Evasive means they want your money without the guarantee of getting in the program. Diversify those options pronto buddy.

University in my home province is about as subsidized as it gets. The $800 Canadian they will be getting from me to do two courses doesn't mean much in terms of income for the school. I asked them flat out if I'm a competitive candidate and they told me "anyone with 3.0 or above is competitive." It's just hard to gauge what my actual chances in the competition pool are.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

There any other schools in the area you could apply to too? Doesn't hurt to have options.

Loskene
Apr 1, 2006

Be correct, we do not tolerate deciet

DannyTanner posted:

There any other schools in the area you could apply to too? Doesn't hurt to have options.

Nope, I live on an island with only one university and one nursing school.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Loskene posted:

Nope, I live on an island with only one university and one nursing school.

Maybe it is time to expand your horizons and find a nursing school hundreds of miles from home and move out to go to school there.

Just kidding family support is key in nursing school and most of them tell you not to work.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

White Chocolate posted:

Maybe it is time to expand your horizons and find a nursing school hundreds of miles from home and move out to go to school there.

Just kidding family support is key in nursing school and most of them tell you not to work.

Sex and weed are the key to nursing school. And endless hours playing battlefield.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
Y'all don't get drug tested? They hit us every semester.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Lava Lamp posted:

Y'all don't get drug tested? They hit us every semester.

There were rumors that they were going to start drug testing students at my old school. I think the administrators changed their minds when they realized how much money they would stand to lose if they expelled 90% of the students.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

School starts on the 13th! I'm starting to get nervous. Is there anything y'all had wished you had started studying before school starts? My last day of work is tomorrow so I have a little bit of free time until then and I'm torn between getting ahead and being as sloth-like as I can.
Here's our schedule - it seems kind of light compared to what I've heard. I'm thinking maybe look at pharmacology stuff?

We got drug tested upon admittance, but they don't make us do it again. I'd be surprised if there were that many hits since it seems the majority of the class is women in their 20-30s with young kids.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Koala Food posted:

School starts on the 13th! I'm starting to get nervous. Is there anything y'all had wished you had started studying before school starts? My last day of work is tomorrow so I have a little bit of free time until then and I'm torn between getting ahead and being as sloth-like as I can.
Here's our schedule - it seems kind of light compared to what I've heard. I'm thinking maybe look at pharmacology stuff?

We got drug tested upon admittance, but they don't make us do it again. I'd be surprised if there were that many hits since it seems the majority of the class is women in their 20-30s with young kids.

Nothing you can study in the next 3 weeks is going to do you any good. Enjoy the holidays, you'll get to the grind soon enough.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
They drug tested us at the beginning- we had to pay out of pocket. I can't imagine how many of these ladies would test positive for adderall though.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
If you have three weeks of no work before school you should gently caress around as much as possible and enjoy it since it's not going to happen again for a long rear end time.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Dr. Capco posted:

If you have three weeks of no work before school you should gently caress around as much as possible and enjoy it since it's not going to happen again for a long rear end time.

Bullshit. I hosed around every day in nursing school, frequently, smoked, owned nerds at games on the internet, and got lit at house parties. Nursing school has a lot of tedious hoops but its not that difficult or time consuming. It'll be busy some days but I reject the common notion that nursing school is 'the hardest thing you'll ever do" and that it will consume the majority of your life for the duration.

I think a lot of it comes down to how efficiently you study and how well you are able to understand what information is important and what isn't.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I meant that you're probably not going to have 3 straight weeks with no real commitments to school or work for a long time, not the standard "your life is over while in nursing school!!!11" type poo poo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Roki B posted:

Bullshit. I hosed around every day in nursing school, frequently, smoked, owned nerds at games on the internet, and got lit at house parties. Nursing school has a lot of tedious hoops but its not that difficult or time consuming. It'll be busy some days but I reject the common notion that nursing school is 'the hardest thing you'll ever do" and that it will consume the majority of your life for the duration.

I think a lot of it comes down to how efficiently you study and how well you are able to understand what information is important and what isn't.
Also depends on your program. An 11 month BSN is going to be a fuckton harder and take a lot more personal time than a 4 year one.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Also depends on your program. An 11 month BSN is going to be a fuckton harder and take a lot more personal time than a 4 year one.

I did a 12 month accelerated BSN, held 2 jobs while doing it, enjoyed my life, didn't read a thing, passed with A's, 99th percentile on exit hesi. Not because I'm smart, but because I prioritized my time; studying alone, taking notes and asking questions while paying attention in class.

It's not the program that's difficult, it's bending your mind around and willing yourself to learn that way. Also being decisive in selecting answers on tests and trusting yourself. Some can do it easily, others can't.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Does anyone's school use ATI instead of Hesi? We switched this past semester, and IMO ATI is poo poo. It just throws together review garbage that seemingly repeats over and over without any clear direction or help.

Also, for Lord, try getting into a hospital as a SNT or a CNA. If at least your face is visible around the hospital for any amount of time, you can probably help yourself to an RN job when it comes. Its what I did, and unless I screw it up, I should pretty much walk into an RN job once I graduate.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Does anyone's school use ATI instead of Hesi? We switched this past semester, and IMO ATI is poo poo. It just throws together review garbage that seemingly repeats over and over without any clear direction or help.

Also, for Lord, try getting into a hospital as a SNT or a CNA. If at least your face is visible around the hospital for any amount of time, you can probably help yourself to an RN job when it comes. Its what I did, and unless I screw it up, I should pretty much walk into an RN job once I graduate.

Mine uses both, but most students in my program seem to prefer ATI.

Did your ATI package come with the big crate of books to review from?

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Yes. Every semester we'd get like 3 new ATI books. They take up almost entire bookshelf just by themselves.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

boquiabierta posted:

Yes. Every semester we'd get like 3 new ATI books. They take up almost entire bookshelf just by themselves.

Huh. We got all of ours except the Psych and Nurse Leadership books in our first semester, and got the last 2 books at the beginning of our 3rd (of 4) semesters.

I really like how ATI has the books, and doing the practice tests it will tell you exactly what to study complete with page numbers in the relevant books.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Yeah, except that you can never find the exact information to answer the questions you get wrong on the proctored exams and have to do "remediation" for. We complained about that constantly. Like I'd get a question wrong about trach care, for example (like I dunno, when to replace the ties) and the section on trach care I'd be referred to in the book would NEVER include that specific information. And somehow I was supposed to "remediate" on that question by writing two specific "key points to remember" about that topic.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

boquiabierta posted:

Ditto. The ATI books are my saviors. I hardly ever crack open my textbooks but I read the ATI for each test and they kept me alive. So much better and concise than the texts.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Ditto. The ATI books are my saviors. I hardly ever crack open my textbooks but I read the ATI for each test and they kept me alive. So much better and concise than the texts.

We use ATI online but don't use the actual books, I've seen them on my professors shelves though. And you can download the whole book through ati anywho.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

boquiabierta posted:

Yeah, except that you can never find the exact information to answer the questions you get wrong on the proctored exams and have to do "remediation" for. We complained about that constantly. Like I'd get a question wrong about trach care, for example (like I dunno, when to replace the ties) and the section on trach care I'd be referred to in the book would NEVER include that specific information. And somehow I was supposed to "remediate" on that question by writing two specific "key points to remember" about that topic.

Same, this is my problem too, and we don't have the actual books. Everything is online, and while we can download them, I don't always want to be at my computer to review. So in addition to getting pages that don't seemingly link to telling us what we actually got wrong, I have to try and search it down from the materials they gave us online. I tend to think I'm a fairly independent student, I never really thought study groups were useful, but I'm just shoveling poo poo against the tide most of the time it seems.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Classes resume a week from tomorrow for me, and the first unit is Cardiology.

Any suggestions on up to date and/or easy to use resources for studying Cardiac?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I'm finally taking the HESI A2 this coming Friday to get in to a local program that would start in the summer and am nervous as all get out. Mostly for Chem, I am doing ok on all my A&P practice tests, I can do Algebra and long division, and I also know grammar! Applying to a few out of state programs for ABSNs as well, so we'll see how the next few months go.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Iron Lung posted:

I'm finally taking the HESI A2 this coming Friday to get in to a local program that would start in the summer and am nervous as all get out. Mostly for Chem, I am doing ok on all my A&P practice tests, I can do Algebra and long division, and I also know grammar! Applying to a few out of state programs for ABSNs as well, so we'll see how the next few months go.

Good luck. Science FTW.

From the 10 guys we had at the start, two semesters later only five remain. Its getting to be more like survivor:nursing school.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Annath posted:

Classes resume a week from tomorrow for me, and the first unit is Cardiology.

Any suggestions on up to date and/or easy to use resources for studying Cardiac?

Honestly there's quite a few decent videos on youtube regarding cardiology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ-2NJRa0uw (first one I found that looked somewhat decent, but if you type in paramedic ECG or paramedic cardiology that should prepare you)

Going into the course, you should have a generalized understanding of what the heart is doing during an ECG (P wave, QRS complex, T wave etc)
understand your general rhythms and dysrhythmias, and try your best to at least have an inkling of knowledge on heart blocks. In general, they're pretty easy to interpret but a lot of people get them mixed up.
Understand how conduction works in the heart and the electric pathway
Understand the anatomy of the heart as well as physiology/blood flow.

Learn how to read and understand drat ECG strip. I was tested every class and it has helped me.. Mainly because I use a portable monitor, but it's a skill that I am very happy I have ingrained in my head.
http://www.practicalclinicalskills.com/ekg-course-contents.aspx?courseid=301

Cardiology is massive, and electrophysiology is equally as massive. If you go in with the basics, you'll be lightyears ahead of your fellow students, and from there you can reinforce what your professors teach you, and depending on how in depth they get, you won't be freaking out over the basics and can focus more energy on the complex things.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

White Chocolate posted:

Good luck. Science FTW.

From the 10 guys we had at the start, two semesters later only five remain. Its getting to be more like survivor:nursing school.

Thanks man. Took it this morning and did pretty well I think - I spoke with my adviser afterwards and she said they were very competitive scores. Lowest score was an 80 on chem, everything else ranged from an 84-100, which felt pretty good. Now I get to wait 1.5 months to see where I'll be getting in!

Anyone have experience with OHSU? I'm applying there as well. I've seen that its pretty tough for new RN grads up in PDX but that is our top choice of cities to move to after I graduate (hopefully, assuming I get in).

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Iron Lung posted:

Thanks man. Took it this morning and did pretty well I think - I spoke with my adviser afterwards and she said they were very competitive scores. Lowest score was an 80 on chem, everything else ranged from an 84-100, which felt pretty good. Now I get to wait 1.5 months to see where I'll be getting in!

Anyone have experience with OHSU? I'm applying there as well. I've seen that its pretty tough for new RN grads up in PDX but that is our top choice of cities to move to after I graduate (hopefully, assuming I get in).

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA GOOD LUCK BUDDY

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
That bad in Portland huh? Guess I'll work for a year or two afterwards before attempting to move there.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Iron Lung posted:

That bad in <insert large (and increasingly smaller) US city here> huh? Guess I'll work for a year or two <in a rural area where they are hiring new grads> before attempting to move there.

ftfy

Although anyone looking for work, central florida should be a prime target (despite awful florida) for new grads as the 2 largest hospitals have new towers (245 bed and 332 beds) opening soon. Also, when the new VA hospital opens (hahahaha) another ~200 (mixed purpose) beds.

These new places will of course suck all the talented, experienced nurses away and leave lots of holes for new nurses. You won't make a fortune, but you can get some experience and go somewhere else after.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Awesome, appreciate the info! Guess that means that depending on where I get in to school, staying in Phoenix might be a good option as there are a decent amount of new grad positions. Plus I know a few people who have done this program and have been offered jobs while still in it. Depending on your cohort you're either on main campus or all of your classes/clinicles are at a hospital, the latter of which I'm trying to do for maximal networking exposure. Plus the pay is pretty decent here for new grads - $28-32/hour I think.

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

Iron Lung posted:

Awesome, appreciate the info! Guess that means that depending on where I get in to school, staying in Phoenix might be a good option as there are a decent amount of new grad positions. Plus I know a few people who have done this program and have been offered jobs while still in it. Depending on your cohort you're either on main campus or all of your classes/clinicles are at a hospital, the latter of which I'm trying to do for maximal networking exposure. Plus the pay is pretty decent here for new grads - $28-32/hour I think.

It seems that if you want to be able to move into a big city job, you realistically need to have 2+ years experience, probably in intensive care, at the top academic/medical center in your area. From what I've seen being a dude helps too.

You'll make more there as a new grad than if you move to Florida, fwiw.

Madame Psychosis fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 12, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Madame Psychosis posted:

It seems that if you want to be able to move into a big city job, you realistically need to have 2+ years experience, probably in intensive care, at the top academic/medical center in your area. From what I've seen being a dude helps too.

You'll make more there as a new grad than if you move to Florida, fwiw.

All true, unless you're somewhere else in the awful south

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Just took NCLEX... shut off in 75. Don't feel like I could have failed so flagrantly as to only get 75, so I'm feeling pretty confident. :) Now to just get a freaking JOB

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

boquiabierta posted:

Just took NCLEX... shut off in 75. Don't feel like I could have failed so flagrantly as to only get 75, so I'm feeling pretty confident. :) Now to just get a freaking JOB

It didn't tell you right away that you passed? Also congrats. How many multiple selections were tonight.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
It never tells you. If it ended in 75 you pass wonderfully or you purposefully selected the wrong answers. Random chance should keep you going past 75.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Bum the Sad posted:

It never tells you. If it ended in 75 you pass wonderfully or you purposefully selected the wrong answers. Random chance should keep you going past 75.

Diff diag: tremendous moron, intoxication, being a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

boquiabierta posted:

Did you do the trick where you try sign up again? Pop up= pass. Allows you to go to the credit card screen= fail. works. 100% accuracy.