Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Zeroisanumber posted:

If you want to kill fat white guys in dungarees you just subsidize McD's burgers and let nature take its course.

You'll just be transferring the burden back to the public. They'll be too sick to work, and will get free healthcare. Thus putting larger burden on tax payers.

Thanks Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

North Korea's internet is down from what is probably a DDOS.

In related and unsurprising news, apparently North Korea's entire internet can be shut down by a DDOS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/world/asia/attack-is-suspected-as-north-korean-internet-collapses.html?_r=0

quote:

Doug Madory, the director of Internet analysis at Dyn Research, an Internet performance management company, said that North Korean Internet access first became unstable late Friday. The situation worsened over the weekend, and by Monday, North Korea’s Internet was completely offline.

“Their networks are under duress,” Mr. Madory said. “This is consistent with a DDoS attack on their routers,” he said, referring to a distributed denial of service attack, in which attackers flood a network with traffic until it collapses under the load.

North Korea does very little commercial or government business over the Internet. The country officially has 1,024 Internet protocol addresses, though the actual number may be somewhat higher. By comparison, the United States has billions of addresses.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

North Korea actually has internet?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bolow posted:

Only the elite of the elite have it, remember, in communist states, everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others.
On the other hand, lol the Norks got a taste of their own medicine.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Bolow posted:

With only 1000 ip addresses, it's more like one specific building in best korea has internet.

I'm disappointed whoever it is just did a ddos attack when they could have done something amusing like put the theme and choice scenes from Team America on a never-ending loop on every computer they had. How good could their anti virus be?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They use a custom Linux setup called Red Star or some poo poo. 100% serious.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I was about to say I'd seriously doubt Best Korea would use decadent imperialist Microsoft Windows.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mike-o posted:

I was about to say I'd seriously doubt Best Korea would use decadent imperialist Microsoft Windows.

Well not a genuine copy at least.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I take that back, apparently they used windows before they developed that version of Linux.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
China has its own version of Linux for the same reasons. Plus they think the CIA or NSA or whoever forces Microsoft to put spy poo poo in the OS which, well is actually kinda plausible I guess.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Is this the first time a DDoS attack has targeted and only impacted people who are 100% guaranteed to be piece of poo poo assholes?

Never let the Norks torrent GoT again.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Potential BFF posted:

Is this the first time a DDoS attack has targeted and only impacted people who are 100% guaranteed to be piece of poo poo assholes?

Never let the Norks torrent GoT again.

Nah they hit Xbox live routinely

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Direct-link all their outgoing traffic to a stream of The Interview.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Courthouse posted:

With only 1000 ip addresses, it's more like one specific building in best korea has internet.

Unless they're using PAT, but since that was only ratified in the mid 90s it's highly unlikely.

At my last job we'd occasionally get some probing attempts from NK IP addresses hitting our web application firewalls, but it was always script kiddie poo poo that could have been coming from an infected machine there for all we knew.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 22, 2014

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I'd like to be a fly on the wall in whatever secret squirrel underground computer lab they've squeaked together just to see a) what their plans are and what they think is going to happen and b) what actually happens as a result of whatever half-baked poo poo they throw at the wall. That'd be some real comedy, I think.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
http://rt.com/news/216675-mh370-shot-down-us/ Former French airline CEO claiming the US Navy shot down MH370 because it was hacked or hijacked and trying to make a 9-11 suicide attack on Diego Garcia

If that were the case we'd be bragging our asses off to show we give no fucks in stopping terrorism

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Booblord Zagats posted:

http://rt.com/news/216675-mh370-shot-down-us/ Former French airline CEO claiming the US Navy shot down MH370 because it was hacked or hijacked and trying to make a 9-11 suicide attack on Diego Garcia

If that were the case we'd be bragging our asses off to show we give no fucks in stopping terrorism

Well, we could have put a SQUEEL team in to take over that SAM launcher. But I'm pretty sure we didn't. Would have heard about a movie version already.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I read somewhere that North Korea's version of "Internet" is really just one big intranet spread across an entire country.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I wonder if the North Koreans were honestly disappointed that the Sony hack didn't reveal loads of smoking gun secret plan internal documents proving Sony is a front for the CIA or something.

Clearly, those drat imperialist bastards use Sony Pictures as a front to taunt North Korea because of their jealousness toward the infinitely superior Juche system drawn up by the Dear Leader. This movie' ulterior motive was to taunt Dear Leader into a response to this act of aggression.

I had a tenant who was a conspiracy theorist, so it's easy to spitball BS like that.

Mike-o posted:

I take that back, apparently they used windows before they developed that version of Linux.

drat America to Hell, except for their operating systems.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mike-o posted:

Think Differently

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Casimir Radon posted:

Think Differently

Looks like they unplugged the internet in that photo...

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I read somewhere that North Korea's version of "Internet" is really just one big intranet spread across an entire country.

They do have an intranet that the proles can use to get access to more news about Glorious Leader. Also, I think they have some sort of social network site on there too.

The actual internet is only available to high level government officials, and certain important university researchers.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Tremblay posted:

Well, we could have put a SQUEEL team in to take over that SAM launcher. But I'm pretty sure we didn't. Would have heard about a movie version already.

I think their talking about the Malaysian Airlines flight that disappeared over the Pacific, not the one the Russians shot down.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
English language RT is the greatest news network going, even the people at MSNBC and Fox can point at them and call them ridiculous. Like, that poo poo flies when you're in a country where the state can be influential, like in Russia, but as bad as the media is in the US, you still have choices and one of the networks is gonna be saying ludicrous poo poo that isn't popular with the government.

RT just looks at that and says "gently caress it, just print anything Moscow wants even if it's incredibly obvious what the slant is and why it's slanted"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

English language RT is the greatest news network going, even the people at MSNBC and Fox can point at them and call them ridiculous. Like, that poo poo flies when you're in a country where the state can be influential, like in Russia, but as bad as the media is in the US, you still have choices and one of the networks is gonna be saying ludicrous poo poo that isn't popular with the government.

RT just looks at that and says "gently caress it, just print anything Moscow wants even if it's incredibly obvious what the slant is and why it's slanted"
The way it works in Russia is you have a bunch of different state-owned (either directly or indirectly) networks that promote different ludicrous conspiracy theories. Lots of different pro-government messages works better than a single one. Fewer people have internet, too. Russia has a lower internet penetration rate than Morocco.

RT is particularly great because it's directed at foreign audiences so you get a mishmash of crazy. You'll see some fish-eyed Maoist propagandist, or a bipolar neo-Nazi promoted as a "human rights expert" who'd later get sentenced to three years in prison for an anti-Semitic hate crime. The point isn't to promote a particular ideological vision but to confuse and disorient people.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I will have you know it is that Nazi's human right to commit a hate crime, expert status confirmed. And yours too!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Some fun sleuthing to do is to watch RT and look at the various experts and analysts they regularly have on. It'll be some dude from a think-tank with a generic name like the Institute for Geopolitical and International Studies (just making that up). Then you Google it and it's based in Italy or France. Or it barely has a website at all. Or it's sponsored by another think-tank that is partnered with the Russian Foreign Ministry. It's not just RT but a whole ecosystem.

This is a fun one:

http://anton-shekhovtsov.blogspot.com/2014/12/center-for-eurasian-strategic.html

The website went dark after this post. But it was another one of these think-tanks except that it was extremely anti-Putin. Except it was anti-Putin in a way that tried to convince people that Russia is powerful and scary, and that you shouldn't try to antagonize it. Their "experts" were also fake people with stock photos.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

It wasn't shot down, some guy shoved an iPhone up his rear end then took pictures of a secret military base they landed on and sent them through the cell service that was no doubt available out in the middle of the ocean. :tinfoil:

https://www.intellihub.com/freelanc...e-diego-garcia/

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

The way it works in Russia is you have a bunch of different state-owned (either directly or indirectly) networks that promote different ludicrous conspiracy theories. Lots of different pro-government messages works better than a single one. Fewer people have internet, too. Russia has a lower internet penetration rate than Morocco.

RT is particularly great because it's directed at foreign audiences so you get a mishmash of crazy. You'll see some fish-eyed Maoist propagandist, or a bipolar neo-Nazi promoted as a "human rights expert" who'd later get sentenced to three years in prison for an anti-Semitic hate crime. The point isn't to promote a particular ideological vision but to confuse and disorient people.

RT is pretty much the Fox News / talk radio of the far left. I see them on facebook linked by pretty much the polar opposite of the Obummer meme people. Think everything is hosed up? Believe in conspiracies? Great, now just choose your flavor, and a convenient obviously biased media service will be there for you.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Best Friends posted:

Think everything is hosed up? Believe in conspiracies? Great, now just choose your flavor, and a convenient obviously biased media service will be there for you.
And all we get is AFN :(

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

gently caress those commercials.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Master Bateman posted:

Be true to yourself, zombie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2X3Le2uWIg

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Because abstinence only programs sure do have a high success rate. Back to the lighter side of AFN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mghxZzWVO7A

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Dead Reckoning posted:

I miss AFN. Especially their "for more information contact you legal office" commercials. I made a list of all AFN law commercials, then made an appointment at base legal with a friend who did legal assistance. Set up through her LN so she didn't know I was coming. Then sat in her office and went down my list.

She threw me out after 15 minutes. :(

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Godholio posted:

I want a springfield xds.

I have one and love it. After I let my friend shoot it, he bought one also.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ukraine votes to work towards NATO membership. :getin:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
That'll happen on the far side of never, but I like that idea of it giving Vlad Putin heartburn.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

maffew buildings posted:

I will have you know it is that Nazi's human right to commit a hate crime, expert status confirmed. And yours too!

Calling an honest individual who writes 'acedemic' papers relating to how whites are better than others might make you the hate crimer.

you reverse nazi you.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I will never stop lolling at how most Russians think Nazis were a gay Jewish joint.

Whoever runs RT in English has been smart enough to not run articles about the homonazi menace. Yet. But I am looking forward to some great comedy in 2015.

also wonder how long it is before dudes in portland with beards are sharing articles about how if you think about it, Alaska was like, stolen from the Russians, and also, isn't like, Putin super handsome? We're already halfway to the latter in the RT club.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Best Friends posted:

also wonder how long it is before dudes in portland with beards are sharing articles about how if you think about it, Alaska was like, stolen from the Russians, and also, isn't like, Putin super handsome? We're already halfway to the latter in the RT club.

Those fuckheads still think that fluoride is a plot to mind-control them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Master Bateman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpOb_qSggGE

e: For actual content, this is a really good article. It's worth reading in full, because the entire article is full of goodness, but here's a few pull quotes:

quote:

Qiao and Wang's argument goes something like this: Americans love their luxuries. The ultimate luxury in warfare is zero casualties. Therefore, the Americans will spend prohibitive amounts of resources to achieve zero casualties. So, if you can keep one or two wars simmering at all times, then American's military will unsustainably consume its materiel and its people outside combat, bureaucratizing itself to death. It wouldn't be the first time that this strategy has worked, of course. I'm not quite sure how many Roman soldiers it took to get one outside the wire, but, like us, their inefficiency and overextension created a market for a Visigothic Blackwater. (As later Goths would instruct them, subcontracting out your security isn't the smartest idea.)

quote:

If I were playing the bad-guy side of this long war, I would set up a few franchises to keep one or two wars simmering at all times. Then I would sit back and watch our side spend itself to death, deploying people who don't need to be deployed, flying sorties that don't need to be flown, making our numbers look great so we can award ourselves combat medals for sending e-mails.

quote:

Like performing a safety investigation on a mishap, the historical flight recorders tell of Cicero shouting, "This is stupid!" at Marcus Crassus prior to the calamitous battle of Carrhae. Unfortunately for Crassus, and for those under his command, ancient Rome didn't have a two challenge rule. The tape ends with the sound of Parthian mounted archers slaughtering the entire Roman force.

quote:

This isn't rocket science--you don't need better graphs and multiple regressions and analysts to figure these things out. You just need the humility to listen to your people and the maturity to admit when they're right.

quote:

When an operator says, "This just doesn't make sense," he or she should be taken seriously. The distance between the acquisitions community and the operators must be reduced, and priority must be given to the needs of those on the tip of the spear, not to the desires of the contractors or the whims of the program office.

quote:

"Who is on the pointy end of the spear?" is not the most useful question because this war and its successors have many fronts, and all of us will at one time or another find ourselves at the pointy end of one of those fights. The better question is, "What is my war, and how can I fight it better?"

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 23, 2014

• Locked thread