Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CowOnCrack posted:

Men aren't allowed to have feelings I guess, lol. My bad for selfishly wanting someone to love me when I had been nothing but a blessing in her life. Everyone defends the poor dears, no matter what.

I'm not defending anything anyone else has said here. But the truth is, from my perspective, you have allowed yourself to be duped by the equality thing a bit, because it served you.

Look to tradition. In the sense that you mean, no! Men aren't supposed to have feelings. I mean, they of course do have very strong feelings, but they aren't supposed to show them. It's not manly, and it never will be.

Well, some feelings. You're allowed to show feelings of great power and strength and vitality! And to be light-hearted and humorous, all of these things. But gloomy? It's always been effeminate, and weak, and so on.

Stop trying to say, "how come it's ok for them and not for me." Be a man, and expect a woman to be a woman, with everything that implies. You are always going to be the responsible party, and this is not because of liberalism or leftism or whatever, but good old Christian patriarchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CowOnCrack posted:

Falling in love and seeking marriage is not harassment, or the human race is doomed to a most pathetic extinction. The formula I described is how every person got married ever. Don't trifle with the indestructible institution of human relationships called marriage. You yourself are married.

It is if the other person is in a committed relationship, no matter how much you don't like the guy!

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

Right, man. You put in the Romance Tokens, she owes you.

Again, when did this happen? The 11th grade prom?

This isn't just about her, imo, unwise choice. She also flipped out and tried to destroy me. Oh well, I handled it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CowOnCrack posted:

Her boyfriend is a drunken video game addict. I know that from her own words to me and around me. I'm a far better man than he is, but she doesn't want that. Its possible to compare mates by their capacity to rear a family. Without those criteria how are we to decide who should be with her except whatever she says, even if its a lie? If she doesn't want me, her loss. She made her judgment and I respect it, but not how she went about it.

That was still her boyfriend. Its not up to you who can and cannot be her romantic interest, and you actively tried to get her to leave him, which is kind of a dick move.

Kyrie eleison posted:

I'm not defending anything anyone else has said here. But the truth is, from my perspective, you have allowed yourself to be duped by the equality thing a bit, because it served you.

Look to tradition. In the sense that you mean, no! Men aren't supposed to have feelings. I mean, they of course do have very strong feelings, but they aren't supposed to show them. It's not manly, and it never will be.

Well, some feelings. You're allowed to show feelings of great power and strength and vitality! And to be light-hearted and humorous, all of these things. But gloomy? It's always been effeminate, and weak, and so on.

Stop trying to say, "how come it's ok for them and not for me." Be a man, and expect a woman to be a woman, with everything that implies. You are always going to be the responsible party, and this is not because of liberalism or leftism or whatever, but good old Christian patriarchy.

Holy flying gently caress. :bahgawd:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

CommieGIR posted:

Holy flying gently caress. :bahgawd:

You're surprised that Kyrie has a thing about manly men being all manly n' poo poo?

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

It is if the other person is in a committed relationship, no matter how much you don't like the guy!

Then she shouldn't be naive in fraternizing with other men, and accept everything that could happen. Instead she blamed me like an insolent spoiled brat who thinks every man is her boyfriend or else. She literally apologized to me in person saying she's done this before and she's aromantic, and has trouble understanding cues. Then she later went back on that and flipped out and tried to destroy me. There is no doubt in my mind she behaved in an awful manner, but the lamentation is about the broader state of marriage in our society.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Fixed that for ya!

BrandorKP posted:

You know what I believe? I believe we hurt each and it's not ok. We think about ourselves first and put ourselves above others and we do this by necessity because we need to protect ourselves (and those we are closest to), because they are other and separate and not us. Here's the thing, we, every single one of us, can look at the other, the separated people around ourselves and forgive them for doing this and we can forgive ourselves for doing it. Now we aren't going to stop hurting each other if we forgive, in fact we might get hurt more, we might even get killed for choosing to do it! But we don't have to be separate and alone! I believe this all is fundamentally tied up with being human (and more broadly as a consequence of existing) and how humans live together in societies. And it's how I have chosen to live (and if necessary to die). Christians tell a story about all this, parts of that story are fabricated, but very core of it, a person crucified for forgiving others while also boldly standing up to them, a story only written down in a context of the communities trying to follow that example only to be wiped out by the Romans... I think that's true. I think it happened! Christianity might also be unbroken.

But the question of is that story true? it doesn't really matter. What really matters, are the acts of: "I love you!" and the "I forgive you!", and when we say and really do those things we end up hurt. When one says "I would rather die than hate you!" that choice to love, to not be separate and alone, it can be lethal. And there is the core of it, the core of my personal faith, I believe in loving and forgiving others (and myself!) even if the consequence is to go to the cross for it. That's what I will stand for, how I will try to live, and what I think redeems existence. And a book (the Bible) written by people over time struggling with, exploring alternatives, some coming to that answer, then reacting to it individually and communally, is tremendously important.

You're an atheist. You think the Passion is a useful metaphor to make us better people. You believe that when people die their consciousness ends. You are an atheist.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

CowOnCrack posted:

She's a deceitful, wicked woman for fraternizing with lots of male 'friends' and then blaming them when they have feelings for her.
what are the courses of corrective action here?

1. she must be restricted in her ability to fraternize with male friends, only being kept to female friends. there must be a separation of the sexes.
2. she can do things but she gotta wear a big red "a" for aromantic (or "all you folks i just wanna do poo poo normally and not have to worry about the implications it has for loving") round her breast.
3. others who read into her proximity must learn to deal with her not wanting to go that way with anyone they keep close proximity to.

Look at it this way, have you ever have someone give you a gift or service you really didn't want, and they kept on insisting they give it to you? Then they got mad because it had been in their belief that you would have liked it and they put out effort to satisfy you? The problem causing the conflict in that situation isn't you, it's the inner-conflict of what that person had perceived to be true and wanted and what was true after putting out efforts in vain.

People don't like spending effort to find out later they were fooled and I can understand your pain! But I think the best thing you can do is learn from it because it is easier to change your perceptions for similar situations that inevitably happen in the future to have less painful outcomes than it is to change the way everyone else acts. Instead of getting angry at others for not following a certain set of rules, you can adopt flexibility toward the ~magically~ different ways people act.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CowOnCrack posted:

She sure seemed comfortable when we were friends for almost two years, when I visited a show put on by her sister, encouraged her and congratulated her on her arrangement, offered a chance to help my family for pay, gave her a birthday, etc.

My therapist says I should file a complaint against her.

You can't ever break me, because you are wrong. I am already broken.

You were nice to her then she rejected your romantic overtures?! Oh the humanity. You poor trembling child. Truly this is the coldest story ever told.

Like someone else said, you kept putting niceness tokens into her and then were indignant when sex didn't come out. It sounds like you could have had a friend, but instead you spent your time pretending to want to be her friend when actually you were biding your time until she rewarded your friendship with sex and romance. It's you, in fact, who is the conniving and deceitful one. She will never want to date you, she will never want to gently caress you, and this realization shattered your fragile male ego to the point that you're compelled to whine about it on the internet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CowOnCrack posted:

Then she shouldn't be naive in fraternizing with other men, and accept everything that could happen. Instead she blamed me like an insolent spoiled brat who thinks every man is her boyfriend or else. She literally apologized to me in person saying she's done this before and she's aromantic, and has trouble understanding cues. Then she later went back on that and flipped out and tried to destroy me. There is no doubt in my mind she behaved in an awful manner, but the lamentation is about the broader state of marriage in our society.

MRA activist spotted, bitches and moans about friend-zoning when rejected.

I suspect you did more than you are letting on.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CowOnCrack posted:

She sure seemed comfortable when we were friends for almost two years singing in a Capella groups together, when I visited a show put on by her sister, encouraged her and congratulated her on her arrangement, offered a chance to help my family for pay, gave her a birthday gift, etc.

I need you to set aside any defensiveness you have about this: nothing you did entitled you to a relationship with her, much less marriage. You don't get to have it just because it's what you want and you believe you did the "correct", things.

Again, it's just a high-school crush. There is absolutely no reason to be so upset and resentful over this. You'll find someone when you're an adult.

Also, yes, your aunt and cousin are lying to you. Sorry you had to find out this way.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CowOnCrack posted:

I think she probably did behave in a horrible manner. But the problem is not women misbehaving, which is to be expected. The problem is men thinking they can act like women.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
People cry all the time. Also in the bible. It being percieved as weak is a leftover from satanic catholic patriarchy brainwashing i guess.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CowOnCrack, when you say this woman "fraternized" with men other than her boyfriend, what specific actions/behaviors are you referring to? Also, do you think Senator Kennedy has a shot at the White House?

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 22, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

But the problem is not women misbehaving, which is to be expected. The problem is men thinking they can act like women.

What about women acting like men. What about treating human beings as people instead of defining them and their 'places' by their gender.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

That was still her boyfriend. Its not up to you who can and cannot be her romantic interest, and you actively tried to get her to leave him, which is kind of a dick move.

It was a slow and very logical progression. First we became friends, then we worked together as classmates often, then my confidence increased for a variety of reasons (working hard and selflessly in school and losing a lot of weight for example), then we worked on a project where it became immediately obvious to me that she liked me, then I sensed dissatisfaction brewing in her relationship, then we became closer friends over the summer including me giving her rides and working/hanging out with her every day of the Summer semester, and then me finally telling her how much she means to me. After that, romantic logic goes completely out the window.

Ah well. Women.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CowOnCrack posted:

This isn't just about her, imo, unwise choice. She also flipped out and tried to destroy me. Oh well, I handled it.

I don't believe she actually flipped out and tried to destroy you.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

CowOnCrack posted:

It was a slow and very logical progression. First we became friends, then we worked together as classmates often, then my confidence increased for a variety of reasons (working hard and selflessly in school and losing a lot of weight for example), then we worked on a project where it became immediately obvious to me that she liked me, then I sensed dissatisfaction brewing in her relationship, then we became closer friends over the summer including me giving her rides and working/hanging out with her every day of the Summer semester, and then me finally telling her how much she means to me. After that, romantic logic goes completely out the window.

Ah well. Women.

Ah well. Goon.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Can we not get into the gross manbaby quicksand?

Kyrie eleison posted:

I think she probably did behave in a horrible manner. But the problem is not women misbehaving, which is to be expected. The problem is men thinking they can act like women.

Nice av.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CowOnCrack posted:

Ah well. Women.

That poor girl. Some guy she knows and hangs out with comes out of the blue one day and says "uh....uh...I, uh, really wanna put my penis in you and make babies with you" and then she has to deal with the fact that someone she thought was a friend was just lying to her the whole time, pretending to enjoy her friendship when it was all a long con to have sex and marry her. gently caress.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Sharkie posted:

That poor girl. Some guy she knows and hangs out with comes out of the blue one day and says "uh....uh...I, uh, really wanna put my penis in you and make babies with you" and then she has to deal with the fact that someone she thought was a friend was just lying to her the whole time, pretending to enjoy her friendship when it was all a long con to have sex and marry her. gently caress.

Lol... she never could have foreseen this outcome!

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
WHAT DID I TELL TELL YOU PEOPLE

CowOnCrack posted:

Ah well. Women.

From her perspective - please, please realize this - you two became friends, just friends, then suddenly you admit that you actually had more feelings than that and it made her uncomfortable. She knew that you knew that she was taken, and since you never made any advances, she assumed it was mutually understood that this was just a friendship.

She did nothing wrong, and in fact YOU are the deceitful one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CowOnCrack posted:

Ah well. Women.

No, see this is the progression you WANTED to see. YOU wanted more. She didn't.

The problem isn't women, the problem is you and your expectations.

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

:negative:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

I imagine your female friends can be slightly more at ease.

e: I'm literally participating in this.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Kyrie eleison posted:

It is not a woman's responsibility to go out of her way to verify that all of the people she thinks are just friends are not in fact harboring a secret desire to gently caress them (or marry them)

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

From her perspective - please, please realize this - you two became friends, just friends, then suddenly you admit that you actually had more feelings than that and it made her uncomfortable. She knew that you knew that she was taken, and since you never made any advances, she assumed it was mutually understood that this was just a friendship.

She did nothing wrong, and in fact YOU are the deceitful one.

Oh yes, "no advances," I'm sure... no flirting or anything... no little hints from her as she tries to seduce him, because she likes his affection. Oh wait, what's this, he makes an advance, and suddenly an advance is deceit! Good loving poo poo!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
There is only onetwo things that matter and it is Gender Roles and Friendzones

Kyrie eleison posted:

Oh yes, "no advances," I'm sure... no flirting or anything... no little hints from her as she tries to seduce him, because she likes his affection. Oh wait, what's this, he makes an advance, and suddenly an advance is deceit! Good loving poo poo!

I don't think you know how 'Friendship' works. Its not like Anime where a guy and girl are friends and secretly the girl is just waiting for the guy to pop the question, some girls really just want friends who are boys.

Its deceitful as hell to expect a girl you are friends with who is in an active relationship to give into your kindness with a relationship. He is expecting reward for his friendship, other than the reward of having a friend who just HAPPENS to be a girl.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 22, 2014

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrie eleison posted:

You should be familiar with it, given that you secretly lust for men but are ashamed to act on it. Cow on crack, pathetic as he may be, at least had the guts to admit it rather than keeping it bottled up and staring at male parishioners and Jesus' abs and sexy writhing body while trying desperate to suppress the thought of lifting up his loincloth to see what he's packing under there.

I mean it sucks that you'll never be able to look at a crucifix without thinking of Jesus's penis but that's the price you gotta pay I guess.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
They should call it the Gay Zone, because that's basically the assumption being made by these women.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

*tightens cilice, regretfully consents to make aggressive woman corrupted by modernism into loveless wife*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

They should call it the Gay Zone, because that's basically the assumption being made by these women.

And there it is. Wrap it up folks, either Kyrie just outed his masterful Catholic troll or he just outed himself as a misogynistic gay guy.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Kyrie eleison posted:

Okay, it's clear we're going to get nowhere with baseless assumptions about the details of what really went on. Cow - we're already on this crazy train so gently caress it - please detail some of the relevant events in this story: instances of clear flirting on your part, instances of clear deception (false displays of interest would be a good one) on her part, and exactly how you told her your affections, exactly her reaction, and exactly how she "destroyed you". Thanks in advance.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rodatose posted:

what are the courses of corrective action here?

1. she must be restricted in her ability to fraternize with male friends, only being kept to female friends. there must be a separation of the sexes.
2. she can do things but she gotta wear a big red "a" for aromantic (or "all you folks i just wanna do poo poo normally and not have to worry about the implications it has for loving") round her breast.
3. others who read into her proximity must learn to deal with her not wanting to go that way with anyone they keep close proximity to.

Look at it this way, have you ever have someone give you a gift or service you really didn't want, and they kept on insisting they give it to you? Then they got mad because it had been in their belief that you would have liked it and they put out effort to satisfy you? The problem causing the conflict in that situation isn't you, it's the inner-conflict of what that person had perceived to be true and wanted and what was true after putting out efforts in vain.

People don't like spending effort to find out later they were fooled and I can understand your pain! But I think the best thing you can do is learn from it because it is easier to change your perceptions for similar situations that inevitably happen in the future to have less painful outcomes than it is to change the way everyone else acts. Instead of getting angry at others for not following a certain set of rules, you can adopt flexibility toward the ~magically~ different ways people act.

She should be forward from the start that she is not interested at all in romance, yes. I wrote her an email with a lot of tips so she doesn't lead men again. Being forward about this from the start, or when I told her my feelings, would have prevented this traged.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Okay, it's clear we're going to get nowhere with baseless assumptions about the details of what really went on. Cow - we're already on this crazy train so gently caress it - please detail some of the relevant events in this story: instances of clear flirting on your part, instances of clear deception (false displays of interest would be a good one) on her part, and exactly how you told her your affections, exactly her reaction, and exactly how she "destroyed you". Thanks in advance.

Yeah, and also tell us how it feels to not have Nixon to kick around anymore man do I have a surprise for you on that one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CowOnCrack posted:

She should be forward from the start that she is not interested at all in romance, yes. I wrote her an email with a lot of tips so she doesn't lead men again. Being forward about this from the start, or when I told her my feelings, would have prevented this traged.

:catstare: How DARE That WHORE lead me on, that little tramp :psyduck:

You have deep seated issues that need real help.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sharkie posted:

Um, is there a law against that? What exactly is the difference between me and her boyfriend then? Is she surprised? Why should she be?

I am a boy that's her friend and does all kinds of nice things for her that she ACCEPTS WILLINGLY, but I'm not her boyfriend.

I'm her emotional support boyfriend, intellectually stimulating conversation boyfriend, transportation boyfriend, and musically talented boyfriend, her we-never-even-went-out-on-a-date-and-all-we-ever-did-was-hang-out-casually-yet-somehow-I-am-harassing-her-just-because-I-told-her-I-loved-her boyfriend while she was having issues with her 'real' boyfriend.

I guess the other guy is her nasty gently caress buddy or something. 93% of communication is nonverbal, and she can always say I was just her 'friend'. Just a boy that was a friend, but not her boyfriend. But she's aromantic guys, and she just doesn't understand romantic cues.

Also, she's well within her rights to take it out on me by spreading lies and threatening not to work with me, right before our final concert of the semester and finals week.

Laugh out loud. Dishonest deceitful sack of poo poo woman. Please, blame me for her behavior :D

CowOnCrack fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 22, 2014

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

No, see this is the progression you WANTED to see. YOU wanted more. She didn't.

The problem isn't women, the problem is you and your expectations.

:negative:

She wanted more, and she happily accepted it piece by piece until I wanted the emotional commitment and then she 'dumped' me from our proxy relationship.

Please, defend that poor dear from me :)

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare: How DARE That WHORE lead me on, that little tramp :psyduck:

You have deep seated issues that need real help.

I'm cool man, I'm just going to date and marry some other woman and make her the happiest woman alive. No chip off my shoulder.

I do think it's funny that I'm a bad guy for having feelings though. Rofl, those poor dears and those evil nasty men who love them.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

CowOnCrack posted:

Um, is there a law against that? What exactly is the difference between me and her boyfriend then?

Uh, she loves her boyfriend?

I love that looks haven't factored into this discussion at all. Just gender roles and relationship tokens all the way down.

Wait, is this some sort of elaborate cuck troll? I've stared too long into the abyss...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
HELLO, I AM NOT INTERESTED IN SEX WITH YOU, THIS IS AN ANNOUNCEMENT I SHOULD BE EXPECTED TO MAKE SOMEWHERE BETWEEN "HELLO" and "THAT'LL BE $2.98"

• Locked thread