Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

cyclical posted:

Bioware still sound half in denial about there actually being a bug. Didn't one of the devs post something about how often banter was triggered and that it was easy to not get any/much if you did a lot of zoning or had a bunch of cutscenes or used your mount off and on a lot? I had the bug on my first playthrough; I just started a second one and they're already way more chatty. Have heard Solas sniping about the Qun to Bull at least twice now, when during my first playthrough, I don't think they spoke even once. And I'm getting some early Bull/Dorian flirtation/bickering too which didn't happen the first time either.

Yeah. No idea what causes it but I don't intend to go through the intro over and over again until I get a non-bugged game going.

It's gotta be related to the journal somehow. Completed quests still have that little star next to them, and clicking on them makes the "quest completed" thing pop up again. In the Bioware thread one guy figured out his banter bug got fixed and at the same time his journal got fixed. I've been trying everything I could find, like playing offline, clearing the journal, codex and inventory, resting at camps, only traveling via war room, but no dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I've been pretty lucky with banter. It's not all the time and I'll go long-ish stretches without any, but that's usually only 15-20 minutes max. I think consoles in general are less hosed on this front.

e: still get the "no music in Val Royeaux" thing though, which is fixed via the "fast travel elsewhere from war table then fast travel to VR"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SubponticatePoster posted:

I've been pretty lucky with banter. It's not all the time and I'll go long-ish stretches without any, but that's usually only 15-20 minutes max. I think consoles in general are less hosed on this front.

e: still get the "no music in Val Royeaux" thing though, which is fixed via the "fast travel elsewhere from war table then fast travel to VR"

Well, they said that Val Royeaux is actually SUPPOSED to not have music outside of that intro cutscene and that we're encountering a bug when we make it play.

Which sort of sells that their sound vision was, uh, really dumb and bad. People tend to not like silence interrupted only by the occasional walking sound or banter.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I actually have music go on and off at times when exploring. There's always ambient noise of chirps, howling in the distance and all that. It's really weird.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shugojin posted:

Well, they said that Val Royeaux is actually SUPPOSED to not have music outside of that intro cutscene and that we're encountering a bug when we make it play.

Which sort of sells that their sound vision was, uh, really dumb and bad. People tend to not like silence interrupted only by the occasional walking sound or banter.
Hahaha, welp. I do occasionally get ambient music outside of fights. Speaking of music, is the soundtrack available anywhere? I bought the deluxe edition and thought it was included but got no code and the game doesn't even show up on my Bioware account to register.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

Pick posted:

Qunari get some fun lines, but for the most part it's sort of the DAO Dalish treatment.

Do the Dalish get the short end of the stick in Origins? I was going to start it for the first time and I want to be Dalish :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cometa Rossa posted:

Do the Dalish get the short end of the stick in Origins? I was going to start it for the first time and I want to be Dalish :(

They do. The Dalish origin made very little sense in Origins and didn't seem connected to anything, though it will be much more meaningful now if you've played Inquisition. As it is, it's weird and has basically no connection to the rest of the game, unlike every other origin. Being Dalish also barely mattered at all during the game - even the Dalish clan you interact with in the main story isn't the PC's clan.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

funakupo posted:

He supposedly was sent endless videos and snapshots of DAO dwarves made up and/or modded to look as babylike as possible, while sexing up Alistair/Zevran etc. to the point of putting him off dwarves.

His first response was literally "ewwww". He only talked about this stuff when he was called out on the first answer, hah.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cometa Rossa posted:

For all the it gives you the awesome intro stories, Origins actually has fairly little in the way of race/background specific content once you get past the prologue. It'll come up, from time to time, but not nearly so often as it does in Inquisition.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skippy McPants posted:

For all the it gives you the awesome intro stories, Origins actually has fairly little in the way of race/background specific content once you get past the prologue. It'll come up, from time to time, but not nearly so often as it does in Inquisition.

And the Dalish origin has the weakest connection to the Origins story of the lot, although it will be much more meaningful if you've played Witch Hunt, DA2, or especially Inquisition. The Dalish origin in DAO sets up and plays with some plot and setting elements that only become important and understandable later in the series.

I'd either play Inquisition first, then the Dalish origin, or take meticulous notes on the Dalish origin because almost everything in it will make a lot of sense once you've played Inquisition.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Having an odd issue on PC hoping someone else has experienced and found a fix.

The game will crash my comp, it doesn't blue screen just kills everything and goes black. I have to hard reboot it to get it back. I downloaded a windows debugger to look at the crash dumps but there are any. Nothing in even viewer either around the time it crashes.

It happens at random times.

Going to try wiping all my video card drivers and try playing in windowed mode.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

Hahaha, welp. I do occasionally get ambient music outside of fights. Speaking of music, is the soundtrack available anywhere? I bought the deluxe edition and thought it was included but got no code and the game doesn't even show up on my Bioware account to register.

Do you have the PC version or one of the consoles. I know for the PC version it should be available in Origin.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I really really want more dwarf stuff. The fact that Cole mentions how dwarves "sound a lot like old songs, like templars" implies that there is a very important link between Dwarves and Lyrium. It also is kind of interesting to hear that there are Dwarven ruins up in Qunari territory. Like I have this wonderful image of playing around in some of the very far western Thaigs, ones that never fell but still have a darkspawn problem.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josef bugman posted:

I really really want more dwarf stuff. The fact that Cole mentions how dwarves "sound a lot like old songs, like templars" implies that there is a very important link between Dwarves and Lyrium. It also is kind of interesting to hear that there are Dwarven ruins up in Qunari territory. Like I have this wonderful image of playing around in some of the very far western Thaigs, ones that never fell but still have a darkspawn problem.

Also Hissing Wastes, the lyrium spoiler, and that Kal-Shirok is up under Tevinter and allied with it.

Going to Tevinter and bringing on a qunari/dwarf/Tevinter plot is a natural direction for the plot of DA4, I think. Cole also repeatedly talks to Varric about how dwarves once wielded magic, though he never explicitly says that's what he's talking about and Varric doesn't put the pieces together.

Especially considering the heavy implications that there's some massive revelations about the qunari in store.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'd been planning on asking the thread whether I should go dwarf or Qunari in my inevitable 2H-weapon Warrior run whenever I get around to setting it up, but it doesn't sound like either is a great option :(

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

loquacius posted:

I'd been planning on asking the thread whether I should go dwarf or Qunari in my inevitable 2H-weapon Warrior run whenever I get around to setting it up, but it doesn't sound like either is a great option :(

Everything is a great option as long as you're willing to roleplay it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

flosofl posted:

Do you have the PC version or one of the consoles. I know for the PC version it should be available in Origin.
Console. When I bought the CE of ME3 I was able to get the soundtrack as a DL from Bioware's social page.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

loquacius posted:

You should be a dwarf 2hander. I picked that for my first run and I feel like he made every scene better just by being a dwarf, especially at Halamshiral. (and I picked the sarcastic lines throughout most of the game, that probably helped)

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
So I got to the card game which was ridiculously fun, although I wish they actually allowed you to learn and play Wicked Grace. When Cole was talking about the king ("don't talk to the face cards, kid"), was he talking about Alistair? Also Viv and Solas are great big lame-o's for not joining in. Even Cullen played and the dude almost never has fun...except if he's been romanced by your Inquisitor.

Unrelated, but do I get anything from the elven ruin with the seals? I was guessing I would get more dialogue choices with Solas and Morrigan, but wasn't sure. I got 5 of them, but got bored and decided to finish the other quests that I had in Emerald Graves. I also got my rear end beat by the Emerald Graves Dragon. :saddowns:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Nah, it's just a bonus dungeon, I think. Neat, though. Helps add context.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bored posted:

So I got to the card game which was ridiculously fun, although I wish they actually allowed you to learn and play Wicked Grace. When Cole was talking about the king ("don't talk to the face cards, kid"), was he talking about Alistair? Also Viv and Solas are great big lame-o's for not joining in. Even Cullen played and the dude almost never has fun...except if he's been romanced by your Inquisitor.

Unrelated, but do I get anything from the elven ruin with the seals? I was guessing I would get more dialogue choices with Solas and Morrigan, but wasn't sure. I got 5 of them, but got bored and decided to finish the other quests that I had in Emerald Graves. I also got my rear end beat by the Emerald Graves Dragon. :saddowns:

I assumed he's just talking about the standard art for the King of Hearts, who is stabbing himself in the head. "His head didn't want either." Cole talks about lots of stuff that breaks the fourth wall. I caught him talking about the plot twist of Jade Empire at one point :v:

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Yesssss. Just killed the Northern Hunter at level 12 on Hard after it whupping my rear end yesterday. I would have killed it faster but was unfamiliar with the archer moves so all I did was use full draw thinking it was long shot. Holy poo poo was that satisfying. And I did it with all women except for my Main. The boys couldn't get it done.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bored posted:

What card game?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 22, 2014

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cythereal posted:

Especially considering the heavy implications that there's some massive revelations about the qunari in store.

Has anyone learned anymore from the Mosaics?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shugojin posted:

I assumed he's just talking about the standard art for the King of Hearts, who is stabbing himself in the head. "His head didn't want either." Cole talks about lots of stuff that breaks the fourth wall. I caught him talking about the plot twist of Jade Empire at one point :v:

In case anyone's never seen it:

It was supposed to be an axe but artists progressively got confused and now he's stabbing himself in the head.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I caught him talking about the plot twist of Jade Empire at one point :v:

That is loving awesome.

Pick posted:

In case anyone's never seen it:

It was supposed to be an axe but artists progressively got confused and now he's stabbing himself in the head.

I always thought he was wielding the sword. Not stabbing himself in the head. I like your version better. I now also want non-tarot deck of cards from Dragon Age.

Bored fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 22, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
This reminds me that I should play this game.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yeah, card players call it the "suicide king." Sometimes when you're playing a game with wild cards you'll make that and the one-eyed jack wild.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

What card game?

Spoilered the whole post. I was hoping it was vague enough that it wouldn't spoil anything for anyone.

Bored fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 22, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Bored posted:

That is loving awesome.

I always thought he was wielding the sword. Not stabbing himself in the head. I like your version better. I now also want non-tarot deck of cards from Dragon Age.

Apparently the CE had a full 78-card deck in it.

It's like $300 on ebay now. :smith:

I hope they reprint it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bored posted:

Spoilered the whole post. I was hoping it was vague enough that it would spoil anything for anyone.

Don't worry, how do I get this event?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

neongrey posted:

Apparently the CE had a full 78-card deck in it.

It's like $300 on ebay now. :smith:

I hope they reprint it.

I thought that was a tarot card deck, though, not an actual playing card deck. The CE was $150 iirc, and I really don't want to pay $100 for a deck of cards and a lock-pick set.

Kurtofan posted:

It was sometime shortly after completing Varric's companion quest. I hadn't yet talked to Vivienne after completing her quest, but I had gotten past her cutscene. So maybe after you finish all of the companion quests? Someone else would know better, since I'm still on my first playthrough. I haven't finished any of the collecting poo poo for your companion quests, just the actual storyline companion quests.

neongrey posted:

Oh yeah, it is a tarot deck, I misunderstood. Though you can just take out the majors and the pages and you've got something that will work for playing cards.

And I don't mean the CE is $300. I mean the tarot deck is $300. The CE is more. :smith:

Wish I'd known I would actually want the game before it came out, I would have been all over that.
I just figured they'd be smart enough to offer the Tarot Cards seperately eventually. I figure they still might. It sounded like the lock-pick set was not a special one for dragon age, so if I wanted one, I could just order off of amazon.

Plenty of people are willing to buy artbooks and/or card sets related to various franchises so it would be silly for Bioware to not eventually offer them.

Bored fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 22, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Oh yeah, it is a tarot deck, I misunderstood. Though you can just take out the majors and the pages and you've got something that will work for playing cards.

And I don't mean the CE is $300. I mean the tarot deck is $300. The CE is more. :smith:

Wish I'd known I would actually want the game before it came out, I would have been all over that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Everything is a great option as long as you're willing to roleplay it.

Right now I'm struggling with what warrior spec to go for my Dalish elf supremacist. Templar is the one I like the best but why would a racist Dalish pick a Templar spec :/.

Maybe I'll rationalize it as learning their ways to better defeat them

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Kurtofan posted:

I got it after talking to Varric after completing his companion quest. First talk with him is talking about what just happened in his quest. Talking to him again afterwards will trigger the card game. I had done everyone's except Blackwall's companion quest. I think whoever shows up is related to approval, not whether you did their quest or not. Could be wrong though.

Not really spoilerish because I kept it vague but better safe than sorry.

Ginette Reno posted:

Right now I'm struggling with what warrior spec to go for my Dalish elf supremacist. Templar is the one I like the best but why would a racist Dalish pick a Templar spec :/.

Maybe I'll rationalize it as learning their ways to better defeat them

Imagine the templar abilities are STD's transmitted by Cullen/Cassandra? :v:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Shugojin posted:

Cole talks about lots of stuff that breaks the fourth wall. I caught him talking about the plot twist of Jade Empire at one point :v:

I've had him spoil the Sixth Sense and Star Wars. :3:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Deltasquid posted:

I got it after talking to Varric after completing his companion quest. First talk with him is talking about what just happened in his quest. Talking to him again afterwards will trigger the card game. I had done everyone's except Blackwall's companion quest. I think whoever shows up is related to approval, not whether you did their quest or not. Could be wrong though.

Not really spoilerish because I kept it vague but better safe than sorry.

I'm in the post game so I'm kind of boned regarding this quest I think, oh well. He always seem to repeat the same things before as well.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Oh cool. I was the late one. Does that mean that everyone loves me?

eating only apples posted:

Cole really is pretty fun. He also likes making the kitties dance. :3:

Also, the "Maker, I hope it's not me" that you randomly hear while walking around Skyhold always makes me smile.

Bored fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 23, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bored posted:

Oh cool. I was the late one. Does that mean that everyone loves me?

I think the only people who won't show up are Leliana, Vivienne, and Solas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

eating only apples posted:

I've had Soylent Green. :3:

• Locked thread