Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

scarycave posted:

Big Bertha scared the poo poo out of me when I was little.

I'm pretty sure Big Bertha would still freak me out if I popped in one of the old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The Walking Dead: First Season - I've heard some praise about it, and since it was on a sale I decided to buy it. It's a nice game, but there are a few design decisions I find detrimental to the experience:
- it's quite obvious that the story does not change all that much regardless of player's input and the situations that will be ultimately resolved in the same way are easy to spot. It's not bad, but every episode starts with a disclaimer of how much your choices shape the story and it's a bit patronizing
- there are very few situations in which anyone but Lee actually does anything, and it becomes a bit absurd when there are a few items to interact with, so the puzzle is literally "grab a shovel and dig in one spot you can dig"
- the zombies often appear literally out of the thin air in order to create drama and a sense of urgency, and sometimes to get rid of excessive party members
- the action scenes - you have infinite ammo, so there's no sense of wasting bullets, and there's a checkpoint right before, so there's no danger. And no matter how you struggle, if the plot does not want you to get out, you won't
- also, sometimes it tries too hard to make emotional, like in the "gently use the shovel thrice" bit in a act four

Still, for the sale price it was a nice game and I'm glad I got it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Szurumbur posted:

- the zombies often appear literally out of the thin air in order to create drama and a sense of urgency, and sometimes to get rid of excessive party members
- the action scenes - you have infinite ammo, so there's no sense of wasting bullets, and there's a checkpoint right before, so there's no danger. And no matter how you struggle, if the plot does not want you to get out, you won't

These are both very true of Walking Dead the show and comic too (except no checkpoints obviously). :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Crowetron posted:

Also, the game really could use a few more decent Rogue companions. Yoshimo and Imoen seem to be the only two who can pick a lock worth a poo poo, and both of them get sidelined by plot stuff for significant portions of the game.

Jan is a decent rogue as long as you use his magic to supplement his thief abilities.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

These are both very true of Walking Dead the show and comic too (except no checkpoints obviously). :v:

I've heard about that, I guess the games do a good job of emulating the show.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Jan is a decent rogue as long as you use his magic to supplement his thief abilities.
Neverwinter Nights got it right by giving the Sorcerer the fairy familiar, which was the game's best rogue. Why yes, I will control my familiar, unlock every door and trap in the dungeon, then stroll casually through it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Szurumbur posted:

That is the essential Walking Dead trait right there. Robert Kirkman is kind of a poo poo writer and walking dead follows this basic plotline of 1) Nothing happening 2) Zombies out of nowhere kill people 3) New location where the survivors meet more survivors, 4) Repeat steps 1-3 until the money stops.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Len posted:

That is the essential Walking Dead trait right there. Robert Kirkman is kind of a poo poo writer and walking dead follows this basic plotline of 1) Nothing happening 2) Zombies out of nowhere kill people 3) New location where the survivors meet more survivors, 4) Repeat steps 1-3 until the money stops.

The Walking Dead Issues 1-48 Volume is the worst sixty-euro I ever spent. Yes, I am an idiot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Szurumbur posted:

The Walking Dead: First Season - I've heard some praise about it, and since it was on a sale I decided to buy it. It's a nice game, but there are a few design decisions I find detrimental to the experience:
- it's quite obvious that the story does not change all that much regardless of player's input and the situations that will be ultimately resolved in the same way are easy to spot. It's not bad, but every episode starts with a disclaimer of how much your choices shape the story and it's a bit patronizing
- there are very few situations in which anyone but Lee actually does anything, and it becomes a bit absurd when there are a few items to interact with, so the puzzle is literally "grab a shovel and dig in one spot you can dig"
- also, sometimes it tries too hard to make emotional, like in the "gently use the shovel thrice" bit in a act four
I've never understood all the praise this game gets. The story is bad, and the gameplay consists of irritatingly timed conversations where you never really know if the choice you've been rushed into making is going to come out the way you think it will, quicktime events that carry no penalties for failure as you just have retry until you get it, and some really bad point-and-click style puzzles. I struggled through the first two episodes and gave up part way through the third.

The main issue I have with it though is the same one I have with all "realistic" zombie stories, which is that the zombies themselves are never a credible threat. The ones in The Walking Dead are slow and stupid; Any healthy adult can easily fend off or kill a zombie, and they're too dumb to get past any kind of barricade. There's a bit on one of the episodes where you find a zombie trapped in a car because it's seatbelt is on. It doesn't even have to contend with the door because it's open, but it's so dumb it doesn't seem to understand that the belt is what's holding it back. How did these things take over? Everyone should be completely safe if they keep their front door shut. The police should have been able to handle this.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

The main issue I have with it though is the same one I have with all "realistic" zombie stories, which is that the zombies themselves are never a credible threat. The ones in The Walking Dead are slow and stupid; Any healthy adult can easily fend off or kill a zombie, and they're too dumb to get past any kind of barricade. There's a bit on one of the episodes where you find a zombie trapped in a car because it's seatbelt is on. It doesn't even have to contend with the door because it's open, but it's so dumb it doesn't seem to understand that the belt is what's holding it back. How did these things take over? Everyone should be completely safe if they keep their front door shut. The police should have been able to handle this.

That's basically the caveat of all Romero/Romero-inspired zombie films. The only way for there to be a zombie apocalypse is for the living to act dumb enough to cause it to happen.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Len posted:

Don't forget step 3b) The new survivors are either cannibals or part of some compound with an insane leader. Both of which come up in the games at some point.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tiggum posted:

I've never understood all the praise this game gets. The story is bad, and the gameplay consists of irritatingly timed conversations where you never really know if the choice you've been rushed into making is going to come out the way you think it will, quicktime events that carry no penalties for failure as you just have retry until you get it, and some really bad point-and-click style puzzles. I struggled through the first two episodes and gave up part way through the third.

Also, opportunistic and selfish (and still-living) humans are the real antagonists, not zombies.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Walking Dead always rubbed me the wrong way because apparently the writers believe that in the event of an apocalypse only mustache twirling, baby eating, psychotic assholes will survive. Nearly every person the main characters meet in the game, show, and comic that doesn't join their group is evil to the point of absurdity. And even a few that join them are!

Humanity has its lovely moments, but it's not that bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Esroc posted:

Walking Dead always rubbed me the wrong way because apparently the writers believe that in the event of an apocalypse only mustache twirling, baby eating, psychotic assholes will survive.

This is basically the truth. Nice people get dead.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

No not really - that's bullshit meant to cater to the nerds who think they'll become some kind of lone badass if disaster ever strikes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

No not really - that's bullshit meant to cater to the nerds who think they'll become some kind of lone badass if disaster ever strikes.

This statement doesn't really follow that one. Nerds are meek passive wallflowers who doesn't come within a thousand miles of the kind of lunatic survivalists you see in post-apoc media. Aggressive assholes live, nice people die. Or it would be more accurate to say that nice people die sooner because ha ha, post-apocalypse mortality rates

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

MisterBibs posted:

That's basically the caveat of all Romero/Romero-inspired zombie films. The only way for there to be a zombie apocalypse is for the living to act dumb enough to cause it to happen.

The original Romero trilogy gets around this by making it that since everyone who dies (w/out massive head trauma) becomes a zombie, society is able to hold together for a while before collapsing. You can see it in the apartment block/newsroom segments at the beginning of Dawn of the Dead - this is a conflict that's been going on for a long time and the government and police are only just now beginning to break down completely under the strain (indiscriminately shooting people, etc). Pretty much every other form of zombie media (Walking Dead included) goes from 'people start to turn' to 'post-apocalypse' seemingly overnight and it's always wrong.

I'm still waiting for a really good piece of zombie media to come around dealing with the existential dread of living in a world where society is holding together but everyone who dies becomes a murderous cannibal. I feel like that slow slide into decrepitude has a lot of resonance with post-recession America and it's almost completely unexplored.

Popular Human has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Dec 22, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I loved Walking Dead but good lord they really didn't need to have a wise-cracking Whedon ninja join the cast. Even if it's still less cringeworthy than the chick with the katana from the actual comics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know who you're describing because it is a bad description.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Popular Human posted:

I'm still waiting for a really good piece of zombie media to come around dealing with the existential dread of living in a world where society is holding together but everyone who dies becomes a murderous cannibal. I feel like that slow slide into decrepitude has a lot of resonance with post-recession America and it's almost completely unexplored.

I'm sure this won't happen, but I really would like The Walking Dead spin-off series to be this. The early/mid-point of the outbreak.

I know it won't happen, though, because the "early/mid point of the outbreak" is, like, a week or two long, tops. At least based on how long Rick was in a coma. So things went to poo poo FAST in TWD universe.

We almost sort of saw that in the World War Z movie...society was still somewhat cobbled together, at least in parts of the world, for air travel to exist, governments functioning, etc.. Too bad the movie was just a POS in general.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Esroc posted:

Walking Dead always rubbed me the wrong way because apparently the writers believe that in the event of an apocalypse only mustache twirling, baby eating, psychotic assholes will survive. Nearly every person the main characters meet in the game, show, and comic that doesn't join their group is evil to the point of absurdity. And even a few that join them are!

Humanity has its lovely moments, but it's not that bad.

I mean, except when they're not: see the societies and groups that you find in the game, and the latest arc of the comic.

The reason the protagonists actually run into all these bad guys is simple: because it creates plot.

I really do hate how zombies just seem to surprise everyone though, or how zombies seem to know to stay hidden except for that one time characters are vulnerable. That bugs the crap out of me.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

This statement doesn't really follow that one. Nerds are meek passive wallflowers who doesn't come within a thousand miles of the kind of lunatic survivalists you see in post-apoc media. Aggressive assholes live, nice people die. Or it would be more accurate to say that nice people die sooner because ha ha, post-apocalypse mortality rates

Except that's not accurate, which is all I was trying to say. People survive by working together, which is pretty much the opposite of "aggressive rear end in a top hat."

Morpheus posted:

I mean, except when they're not: see the societies and groups that you find in the game, and the latest arc of the comic.

The reason the protagonists actually run into all these bad guys is simple: because it creates plot.

I really do hate how zombies just seem to surprise everyone though, or how zombies seem to know to stay hidden except for that one time characters are vulnerable. That bugs the crap out of me.

I think the best one was the zombie that was pretty much just popped in from a trash pile or something specifically to bite Lee.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Honestly what I want to see from Walking Dead tv now is a good survivor group that decides Rick and his methods are too extreme and evil for them.

Or Rick's paranoia to actually create a misunderstanding with a well intentioned community.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

They're talking about the real life reasons these stories are made, not the in universe logic (which is made by the writers).

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Popular Human posted:

The original Romero trilogy gets around this by making it that since everyone who dies (w/out massive head trauma) becomes a zombie, society is able to hold together for a while before collapsing. You can see it in the apartment block/newsroom segments at the beginning of Dawn of the Dead - this is a conflict that's been going on for a long time and the government and police are only just now beginning to break down completely under the strain (indiscriminately shooting people, etc). Pretty much every other form of zombie media (Walking Dead included) goes from 'people start to turn' to 'post-apocalypse' seemingly overnight and it's always wrong.

World War Z, the book, actually does this. Not for long, but a significant amount of the book is based around the rise of zombies and various reactions to it; including a segement based around the suburban american perspective.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

umalt posted:

World War Z, the book, actually does this. Not for long, but a significant amount of the book is based around the rise of zombies and various reactions to it; including a segement based around the suburban american perspective.

It's been a long time since I read it, but doesn't the book have an entire segment following a shut-in nerd (I think he was Japanese, explicitly described as an otaku)? And how his self-imposed isolation from the outside world keep him insulated from the real threat for some time, even though he was hearing about what was going on through his online communities. It didn't seem real until more and more usernames started to go dark.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yes it does.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Just finished the masquerade mission in Dragon Age: Inquisition; I'll spoiler my complaints since it basically just came out:

First off, the entire mission basically turns you into a representation of a creepy antisocial neckbeard at a classy party. I mean, the entire time you're at the party all you do is eavesdrop on people; or you stand around not talking to anyone outside your party; or instead of enjoying yourself you spend time trying to foil a plot to kill the Empress, who didn't even feel that significant until the last second when it turned out her sister was working for Massive Evil Demon you're supposed to be hunting. For some reason, even though you don't talk to anyone at the party your reputation goes down when you are trying to solve the great mystery of the blood spotted tiles.

Also, the mission was way too long, and the stuff that it made you do felt really, really boring compared to other missions. I was pretty excited to mix it up with this mission. At the beginning, they even warned you by saying 'watch what you say or people will think you're an rear end and you'll be booted out,' and then you get maybe three dialogs throughout the whole forty minute or so mission. It would have been a much better mission if it had been mostly political intrigue a la Game of Thrones, which I think is what they were trying (pretty unsuccessfully) to simulate. Then the mission ended the way every mission does, with me swinging a giant loving axe at Massive Evil Demons' servants.

Still really enjoy the game though. Slaying dragons is a helluva lot of fun.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Double Plus Good posted:

It's been a long time since I read it, but doesn't the book have an entire segment following a shut-in nerd (I think he was Japanese, explicitly described as an otaku)? And how his self-imposed isolation from the outside world keep him insulated from the real threat for some time, even though he was hearing about what was going on through his online communities. It didn't seem real until more and more usernames started to go dark.

Then turns into a killing machine with his glorious nippon steel?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Bushmaori posted:

Only once he meets the ancient (and blind) gardener, the two then cleanse Japan of the undead, alone might I add, since everyone, SDF included, had abandoned the islands.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Bushmaori posted:

Oh, that's right... It's been quite a while since I read it, then.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Only once he meets the ancient (and blind) gardener, the two then cleanse Japan of the undead, alone might I add, since everyone, SDF included, had abandoned the islands.

Note: it's not as bad as it sounds.

It's still a low point of an otherwise great book, and I say that as someone who's pretty much neutral about zombies (except for thinking they're fun to shoot through in Left 4 Dead)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's a very silly part of the book but I find that if someone gets mad about it, they're probably taking their zombie media far too seriously to begin with. this is the same book that has the turning point of the US Army's Last Stand against the zombies that they start blasting Iron Maiden's The Trooper over the loudspeakers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Just finished the masquerade mission in Dragon Age: Inquisition; I'll spoiler my complaints since it basically just came out:

First off, the entire mission basically turns you into a representation of a creepy antisocial neckbeard at a classy party. I mean, the entire time you're at the party all you do is eavesdrop on people; or you stand around not talking to anyone outside your party; or instead of enjoying yourself you spend time trying to foil a plot to kill the Empress, who didn't even feel that significant until the last second when it turned out her sister was working for Massive Evil Demon you're supposed to be hunting. For some reason, even though you don't talk to anyone at the party your reputation goes down when you are trying to solve the great mystery of the blood spotted tiles.

Also, the mission was way too long, and the stuff that it made you do felt really, really boring compared to other missions. I was pretty excited to mix it up with this mission. At the beginning, they even warned you by saying 'watch what you say or people will think you're an rear end and you'll be booted out,' and then you get maybe three dialogs throughout the whole forty minute or so mission. It would have been a much better mission if it had been mostly political intrigue a la Game of Thrones, which I think is what they were trying (pretty unsuccessfully) to simulate. Then the mission ended the way every mission does, with me swinging a giant loving axe at Massive Evil Demons' servants.

Still really enjoy the game though. Slaying dragons is a helluva lot of fun.

Well, yeah. You're not there to have enjoy yourself, you're there to stop an assassination--or let it go through so you can manipulate the survivors. It's supposed to be a little bit James Bond more than Game of Thrones, and if you get enough points you can actually skip the boss fight by calling the assassin out and proving her guilt. The eavesdropping thing is basically a way of scrounging up some bonus secrets for extra favor if you're looking for the Belle of the Ball achievement, but are otherwise not something to really worry about..

Not saying you're wrong about how it could be better, though.

edit: Seriously, if Bioware could get Telltale to work with them on Dragon Age: Orlais, I think they could at least sell the idea of "the Game" a bit better. As it is, it boils down to "steal incriminating documents left out at a party, pick the middle dialogue option every time, watch as people contort themselves to do what you say because you're the guddamn Herald of Andraste."

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Dec 23, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

M.Ciaster posted:

It's still a low point of an otherwise great book, and I say that as someone who's pretty much neutral about zombies (except for thinking they're fun to shoot through in Left 4 Dead)

It's not any more ridiculous than Dick Cheney being a literal poo poo-shoveler, the military being comically inept.while armchair generals own them, or all the dumb vapid celebrities turning their zombie bunker into a reality show and being left to die because their bodyguard is disgusted by how big a whore Paris Hilton is.

World War Z is a very silly book that nerds take way too seriously because the moral of the book is that nerds are awesome and will rule everything when all the big stupid popular kids lose their power in the zombie uprising.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Oxxidation posted:

Cooperation and community is basically how every human achievement ever has come about. Our ancestors lived in a world much more dangerous than The Walking Dead, and they didn't survive it by being arsehole loners, they survived it by working together and establishing societies.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I know it won't happen, though, because the "early/mid point of the outbreak" is, like, a week or two long, tops. At least based on how long Rick was in a coma. So things went to poo poo FAST in TWD universe.
In the Telltale games, it seems to happen in a matter of minutes. The protagonist is being driven somewhere by a cop and they've just heard about some kind of riot or something, then suddenly zombies are literally everywhere.

M.Ciaster posted:

It's exactly as bad as it sounds, it's a really dumb book.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just did the 1st raid in Destiny with some goons.

Well tried to, we made it to the end but it was just an hour of one bug after the other, just an endless avalanche of bugs, 3 hours and gently caress all to show for it because Bungie can't code for dick apparently.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Alteisen posted:

Just did the 1st raid in Destiny with some goons.

Well tried to, we made it to the end but it was just an hour of one bug after the other, just an endless avalanche of bugs, 3 hours and gently caress all to show for it because Bungie can't code for dick apparently.

I take some responsibility since I bought the game too, but if you're still playing it after the incomplete, broken shitfest that it turned out to be then that's your own drat fault.

Between Destiny, and the new Dragon Age I've since sworn off ever buying a game at full price without finding a way to demo it first. The rate at which games are being released broken, incomplete, and filled to the brim with expensive DLC just to regain features that should have been in the game in the first place is getting ridiculous and it amazes me that developers just cannot fathom why piracy is such a big thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The problem though is that "demoing"games leaves you with a copy that's even more buggy than the retail due to the lack of patches and new bugs introduced by circumventing the drm.

For instance the Unity face bug was solved for most players by the day one patch (not that Unity lacks other problems.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Cooperation and community is basically how every human achievement ever has come about. Our ancestors lived in a world much more dangerous than The Walking Dead, and they didn't survive it by being arsehole loners, they survived it by working together and establishing societies.

And also a whole lot of murdering each other.

But we did do it in groups.