Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

As someone who has been married for nearly 8 years to his best friend: Get bent.

That my friend, is the way it should be, and the point of the essay. We should get married to our best female friends, because it is they with whom we are the most compatible. Marriage is friends with benefits. Guess her boyfriend must be the best thing since sliced bread compared to someone like I.

Ah well, that's OK, there's always another girl out there somewhere who isn't aromantic.

I'm officially done and have defended my point about marriage. Carry on :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CowOnCrack posted:

Hey, I didn't know aromanticism was a thing. Can't blame a guy for trying with the woman of his dreams.

Here are tips for all you aromantic women out there:

1) I recommend against discussing your relationship with others, or if you do, be very mindful about what might appear to outside listeners as a problem. Things that you believe are 'cute' or easily forgivable may appear to others as warning signs. People in mature relationships do not discuss such issues with anyone but their partner, or perhaps wise council in private. Perhaps its best to not discuss it all and keep your relationship on a need to know basis.

2) I recommend being very responsible for your own needs and not leaning on the help of male friends for anything. I personally do not help anyone with any expectation of anything in return, but when help is expected from me that goes beyond what seems reasonable, even my feelings may become confused.

3) I recommend against talking about your relationship on Facebook or anything pertaining to a relationship status change. I know I'm going against the grain here, but I feel it is very unwise because you do not know how it will affect those reading. When you opted to include your boyfriend in the category of "family", this was incredibly confusing to me. My impression up to that point was that yes he was your boyfriend, but maybe there were problems. I invite you to imagine what someone might feel like if they discovered they had fallen in love with a married woman while under that impression. This is the kind of thing that might invite suicidal thinking in some people (for my part, I didn't feel that bad, but I felt very foolish, hurt, and confused.)

4) Continue to be mindful of the company you keep. By choosing to attend this music school and surrounding yourself with caring and loving people, you have insulated yourself from the kind of people who would take advantage of you. Doing what you are doing will protect you from sleaze balls and scumbags. Even still, there are plenty of men in this world in nearly every location who would not necessarily respect the integrity of your relationship. Even my brother told me I should just ask you out. Also, as long as you are not married, there are some respectful individuals who would even fall in love with you on that kind of basis if they perceived dissatisfaction. But at least if that happens, respectful individuals will seek to not make a problem for you (my case).

5) If this ever does happen to you in the future, if I were you I would be very forward about that key difference - your asexuality. Do not be afraid, embarrassed, or ashamed to discuss it. Also, do not expect the problem to resolve itself so quickly. If someone tells you how they feel, even if they are very respectful and sincere, 10-20 seconds of diplomacy is just the beginning of working through such an issue. Romantic feelings, you must understand, are extremely powerful forces for everyone on a regular basis, except certain people like yourself. They would expect at least one conversation, if not several, to go through how things happened and why they feel the way they do. What you have to understand also though is that in this sort of situation, it is very, very difficult for the person interested in you to come up and talk with you about it. They may be frightened or anxious. Fortunately, you are very kind, compassionate, and logical, and if you were very forward in addressing their concerns then that is your best chance of avoiding an ordeal.

6) It may be that you want to avoid male friends entirely, because of the potential for these issues to develop. I wouldn't necessarily be that pessimistic myself - I think if you practice mindfulness and are more forward about your differences, you will be OK. But you might consider it.

7) Consider marriage - there is a reason why married couples have a wedding band on their finger. It's a signal to everyone - "I am taken". Only the most awful human beings in the world would stoop as low as to pursue a married woman and these sorts are very rare.

I don't think you've ever actually had a real friend. Complaining about relationships? I talk with my friends a lot about that. The right thing to do is to listen, nod, agree, and give advice if warranted. If one of my guy friends was complaining about his g/f I would not take it as a signal that he's really gay and wants me instead. People are usually a lot more direct than that. In fact, if they're looking for a relationship, they'll probably not mention that they have another at all. You are terrible at handling people, and if this is what the teachings of Christianity are geared for, I'll leave you to it.

There might be situations where you do want to be up front about not looking for sex, but it won't be when you just casually strike up a conversation during some activity of mutual interest. I think you have a very skewed idea of romance. If you want to find people who are looking for your dick, go to a bar, but you'll do terribly there because you sound goony as gently caress.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CowOnCrack posted:

Yea, I understand. We are in agreement. She has done this to many guys in the past and admits it. I wrote her an unironic email explaining how to not lead men on and she flipped out. If it wasn't so stressful and threatening to my health and reputation it would be hilarious what a brilliant parting shot that was. I have already and will continue to laugh about what a crazy confused bitch she is.

The poor dear.

Sending her an email effectively telling her to stop being a whore is harassment. But wait a minute!

CowOnCrack posted:

No, I am not stalking her or contacting her. Why do you keep inventing details of this case?

So which is it, did you continue to contact her directly or not?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CowOnCrack posted:

That my friend, is the way it should be, and the point of the essay. We should get married to our best female friends, because it is they with whom we are the most compatible. Marriage is friends with benefits. Guess her boyfriend must be the best thing since sliced bread compared to someone like I.

Ah well, that's OK, there's always another girl out there somewhere who isn't aromantic.

I'm officially done and have defended my point about marriage. Carry on :)

Funny thing: When I met my wife, she was in a relationship. She was in that relationship for a while. But I never went into the friendship expecting anything more than friendship, despite the fact that I thought she was cute.

We decided to marry because we were good friends. I didn't make a creepy as gently caress off proposal or drop marriage hints during the friendship until long after we started dating, which is why I suspect you don't know how to talk to women or even have women as friends.
Let alone have normal friends.

You've painted yourself in this very thread as an angry, bitter, pompous MRA rear end in a top hat with fantasies about her. You have NOT made yourself out as someone special that she deserved, nor painted yourself as a very good friend. You've made god awful misogynistic remarks, sexist remarks, bitter and angry remarks I'd only expect from ex-boyfriends with a chip on their shoulder. You've spouted gender role nonsense and tried to 'council' a woman you literally dropped a marriage bomb on without any sort of preparation, beside the fact that she trusted you as a friend.

She may have jilted you, but holy gently caress I think you deserved every bit of it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 22, 2014

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

I would like to know more!

Well actually, that's what I've heard, but I'm not finding a source for that through 2 minutes of googling. It does seem that Babylonian priests wore fish hats which look just like the weird "open mouth fish" pope hat.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I swear to Christ if you say "the poor dear" one more loving time...

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think grenadiers were the best people to rock the pope hat, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Panzeh posted:

I think grenadiers were the best people to rock the pope hat, though.

Obviously. Lets you know who to watch out for.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This is a pretty cool thread and everything, but after all is said and done, I think i'll stick to my own silly personal spiritual beliefs, which basically amount to half-assed Buddhism, Taoism, and sometimes pantheism when i'm feeling all warm and fuzzy and looking at the stars. It basically amounts to me reading stuff about Buddhism and Taoism on the internet, saying to myself "Yeah, that makes sense, I guess", and then not doing absolutely anything about it. Like, yeah, I know all things are empty of inherent existence and everything is ephemeral and we're all connected and blah blah blah, but I don't really do anything other than watch the occassional Alan Watts youtube video and go "Yeah, we're all, like, empty. There's, like, no self." When I die, I'll simply dissolve and my constituent parts will go on to be recycled, as part of the great interconnected web of causality that is Existence. I'll cease to exist, but then again, do I REALLY exist right now? :catdrugs:

Sorry, Kyrie eleison, your thread was for naught. Good luck with your gay life, though.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

Sending her an email effectively telling her to stop being a whore is harassment. But wait a minute!

So which is it, did you continue to contact her directly or not?

I ceased all communication with her weeks ago (this was going on during the Fall 2014 semester), and everything I'm was referring to in this discussion are things that occurred in the past and are no longer going on. I am moving on from this in my life, and only wanted to make a point about marriage. I feel I have made my point very clearly, and I don't wish to answer any more questions so this thread can get back on track.

Thanks for your understanding.

Who What Now posted:

COC if you make a marriage thread I will gladly post there to explain what a sexist retard you are on the subject.

I wanted to do that originally, but it ended up in this thread. I may do that but for now I need a forum break ;0

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
COC if you make a marriage thread I will gladly post there to explain what a sexist retard you are on the subject.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich
double post again, argh

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CowOnCrack posted:

I ceased all communication with her weeks ago (this was going on during the Fall 2014 semester), and everything I'm was referring to in this discussion are things that occurred in the past and are no longer going on. I am moving on from this in my life, and only wanted to make a point about marriage. I feel I have made my point very clearly, and I don't wish to answer any more questions so this thread can get back on track.

Thanks for your understanding.

You made a good point: Don't marry CowOnCrack.

He's on crack.

Who What Now posted:

Oh please oh please oh plleeasssseeee

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Blue Star posted:

This is a pretty cool thread and everything, but after all is said and done, I think i'll stick to my own silly personal spiritual beliefs, which basically amount to half-assed Buddhism, Taoism, and sometimes pantheism when i'm feeling all warm and fuzzy and looking at the stars. It basically amounts to me reading stuff about Buddhism and Taoism on the internet, saying to myself "Yeah, that makes sense, I guess", and then not doing absolutely anything about it. Like, yeah, I know all things are empty of inherent existence and everything is ephemeral and we're all connected and blah blah blah, but I don't really do anything other than watch the occassional Alan Watts youtube video and go "Yeah, we're all, like, empty. There's, like, no self." When I die, I'll simply dissolve and my constituent parts will go on to be recycled, as part of the great interconnected web of causality that is Existence. I'll cease to exist, but then again, do I REALLY exist right now? :catdrugs:

Sorry, Kyrie eleison, your thread was for naught. Good luck with your gay life, though.

I'm happy that you've found the right kind of spirituality for yourself. If you're happy, that's the important part.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CowOnCrack posted:

She occasionally spasmodically brought up her boyfriend when it wasn't the topic of conversation. Clearly reminding herself.

Yes, herself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Yes, herself.

How was he to knoooowwwww :ohdear:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Star posted:

I'm not religious or "spiritual" but I'm totally ok with this (not implying that you need my blessing or whatever). If it makes you happy and doesn't lead to you loving people over than go for it, you do you.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
anyone interested in taoism, the tao te ching is short. it comes in at only ~5000 words. taoism is probably the byob-ist world religion.

http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phalsall/texts/taote-v3.html

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rodatose posted:

anyone interested in taoism, the tao te ching is short. it comes in at only ~5000 words. taoism is probably the byob-ist world religion.

http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phalsall/texts/taote-v3.html

Jesus was a Taoist monk on the lam.

"Yes my name is uh...Yeshua. I come from...somewhere far away."

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
*jumps into abyss* what did I tell youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well holy poo poo the last six pages or so were a horrifying and cringe-worthy read.

I mean I won't lie I did a lot of dumb goony poo poo when I got into my first relationship and continued after it ended but at least I have the self-awareness to realize it instead of going "That dumb BITCH" and ranting about how I was a perfect gem of a boyfriend and she just doesn't deserve me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Jesus was a Taoist monk on the lam.

"Yes my name is uh...Yeshua. I come from...somewhere far away."

True story, in his youth Jesus travelled to China to learn the secrets of alchemy (turn water to wine), then to India to learn sorcery (exercise demons) and finally to Tibet to achieve nirvana (and also to multiply food).

He's a well travelled guy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

True story, in his youth Jesus travelled to China to learn the secrets of alchemy (turn water to wine), then to India to learn sorcery (exercise demons) and finally to Tibet to achieve nirvana (and also to multiply food).

He's a well travelled guy.

The Harry Potter prequel: Jesus and the Curse of the Pharisees.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I know not everyone will follow this, but I'm pretty sure KyrieCow may be XJ9.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Hey Kyrie why don't you go out with CowOnCrack here he seems perfect for you

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I always liked that idea from Sagan's Contact of the creator of the universe indicating its existence by putting a message some arbitrarily enormous number of digits into π.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
anime and catholic church go hand in hand. they share common interests :pedo:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Barent posted:

Hey Kyrie why don't you go out with CowOnCrack here he seems perfect for you

Nah Kyrie got upset because COC couldn't repress his emotions so he could be a true stoic manly man like the Catholic Church says you should be.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Blue Star posted:

Enjoy Hell!

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
sorry kylie but we've all moved on now. you've spent up all your stock and you've lost the crowd. make a new thread if you want but this one is a general dumping ground now

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
I hope everyone is enjoying the Christmas holiday! Spending time with family, Christmas trees, bing crosby, etc.

But remember: Christmas is only for Christians!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

I hope everyone is enjoying the Christmas holiday! Spending time with family, Christmas trees, bing crosby, etc.

This is just desperation now.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
*ruffles up yr hair*

that's my little buckaroo!!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kyrie eleison posted:

I unironically want this. Don't care for all the consumerist crap involved in the modern version, so I'd love to be let out of obligations to the holiday post haste.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rkajdi posted:

I unironically want this. Don't care for all the consumerist crap involved in the modern version, so I'd love to be let out of obligations to the holiday post haste.

Our family is going no gifts this season. Only charity and time spent with family, or gifts you made / crafted yourself.

Advent conspiracy time!

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CowOnCrack posted:

Our family is going no gifts this season. Only charity and time spent with family, or gifts you made / crafted yourself.

Advent conspiracy time!

Good. The only gifts you should give are meaningful gifts. Gifts given only out of obligation are meaningless and unpleasant to receive.

And everyone should give to charity on Christmas.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Good. The only gifts you should give are meaningful gifts. Gifts given only out of obligation are meaningless and unpleasant to receive.

And everyone should give to charity on Christmas.
Even the Hell-bound?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kyrie eleison posted:

Lol, Christmas has been secularized for over six decades, bro. You lost that battle the second Santa became popular. Not that you ever really had claim to a holiday you stole from pagans anyway.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Who What Now posted:

Lol, Christmas has been secularized for over six decades, bro. You lost that battle the second Santa became popular. Not that you ever really had claim to a holiday you stole from pagans anyway.

Yes, Santa is an anagram for Satan, secular society is doomed, etc. We all know this. But the true spirit of Christmas remains, if only amongst the handful of faithful who remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRi1GDoaQu4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

why did ancient christian artists always suck so bad at painting faces

• Locked thread