Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
Of all the crazy I have heard, that is a new one to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The bottleneck fit the 2012 nexus 7 is the hdd. It's a little slow but it's still not that bad.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Elephanthead posted:

No it is probably the best performance bargain you can find. The LT4 is a fine engine that can make more power but is also fine as is. The door cards will fall apart and the headlight flipper up bearing turn to dust, but both are an easy diy fix. You can't buy the flywheels anymore but you can swap out to a combo camaro flywheel sprung clutch when the need arises. The electronic dash will need fixing too, but also a diy job.

Most of these are things I did not know. If I wound up with one by some miracle, it would probably get a tremec swap (TKO500?). Not sure if that would limit my options or not. I know the swap would already be dicey at best and probablydefinitely involve some cutting.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wonder what the cost/performance gain ratio is of upgrading the LT4 and clutch vs just doing an LS/T56 swap.

Comedy option: T56 with T56.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh man, the perfect Peugeot 406 just came up for sale. When I bought mine, I settled for a silver sedan with the 2.2L 4-cylinder because the price was good, it was in amazing condition, and it had low mileage and good service records.

The one that just came up for sale is a dark blue metallic wagon with the 3.0 V6, it's got the same mileage as mine had when I bought it, the price is the same as what I paid for mine, it's 2 years newer, but still from right before they put the stupid white gauge faces and silver radio trim in them for the final year. And it's got cruise control and a 6-speed.

Goddammit, I just had a bunch of stuff fixed on my car, and I definitely don't have the cash to play the car-swapping game right now :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fucknag posted:

Wonder what the cost/performance gain ratio is of upgrading the LT4 and clutch vs just doing an LS/T56 swap.

Comedy option: T56 with T56.

cheapest piece of poo poo LS1 i can find on ebay is still around $1500 plus shipping.

$2400 for a ready to go, brand new, transmission and conversion kit (still requires some tunnel modification)
or $1500 for an 80k+ mile engine plus another $800 or so for the transmission brings them to right around the same cost for parts alone.

That engine swap could get expensive fast and god knows how loving long it would take me.

I do love me a nice T56 though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
poo poo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Corvet...8cc7adf&vxp=mtr

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I love that "Rolling Drivetrain" can actually be a thing with Corvettes.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So is anyone else excited for Christmas? My daughter is 2 1/2 now so she kind of "gets" what Christmas is. We went on a historic train ride at the beginning of the month that was a similar theme to the "Polar Express" book and she was able to tell Santa what she wanted. When Santa asked her what she wanted for her to have a stern look on her face and say "I WANT GEORGE" and the Santa giving me a wtf? look for me to explain "she wants a Curious George" and then she asked for "A Lego TV" meaning the Lego movie. It is going to be so magical to have her open her gifts. We got her a few other things as well, the one that I am most excited about is a little 12'x15' bounce house that I am going to have in our basement for the winter months and can take outside with nicer weather. She is going to go bonkers with that thing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yeah, super excited for Christmas... my wife's entire family was here yesterday as my 5 year old girl proceeded to spiral downhill with a fever/sickness. Took her to the doctor today who ran a test and confirmed flu... so we exposed my wife's entire family to the flu... and my family has been exposed over the past few days as well.

My boy is starting to come down with it and I'm heading out to the pharmacy to get Tamiflu and wondering what the next couple days will bring. :bravo:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
That poo poo's making the rounds through my office as we speak. First volley are back from sick leave, but there's a lot of sickly sounding people around the ol cube farm.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Our cat died today.

He'd been in the basement all day, so I knew something was wrong. He stopped eating and drinking and so I took him to the vet, and he had fluid in his lungs, his bladder and kidneys were shot, and his heart was going. He died before they could euthanize him. He was only a year old.

Fucker was goddamn aggressively affectionate. He'd jump in bed and cuddle you so hard you couldn't breathe.

Whats worse, my wife was working so I had to take the kids to the vet, ages 7 and 4. The seven year old understood too well what the prognosis was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry dude. I was terrified the other day when mine was sick. I'll hug him tighter when I gt home tonight.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CornHolio posted:

Our cat died today.

Well, gently caress. That sucks hard :(

I'm going to hug my kitties tonight :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

Our cat died today.

Time to go to your local shelter and help a tiny kitten find a loving home. :unsmith:

I'm so sorry :smith:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Sorry about the catte dude!

Christmas is a sad time for me. My mum committed suicide and they turned the life support off in xmas day so that's the bad bit! I have a three year old boy who is stoked for Xmas and a week old girl who is his fav present so it's an emotional roller coaster for me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I am sitting in a Discount Tire getting my tires replaced with a slightly less awful economy tire. This one lady with an obnoxious wiener dog is bitching that she got in trouble for only having studded tires on her front axle. On a front wheel drive car. She's all like "it's front wheel drive, it won't spin out!!" :downs:

Middle aged white women are scary.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

thegasman2000 posted:

Sorry about the catte dude!

Christmas is a sad time for me. My mum committed suicide and they turned the life support off in xmas day so that's the bad bit! I have a three year old boy who is stoked for Xmas and a week old girl who is his fav present so it's an emotional roller coaster for me.

Yea Christmas is sad for me like that too. My moms birthday was Christmas eve and she died of cancer 10 years ago. My nephew is just about the age where he likes cars and trucks and tractors so Im going to get him some stuff like that this year and Im sure it will cheer me up seeing him so happy.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

That's real rough, even more so with the kids there. I'm so sorry dude.

Been a bad year for cats.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
DISTRACT YOURSELVES FROM FUCK2014.GIF.

REPENT, AND WATCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjOfJTloxfM

This guy is living the loving DREAM

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

DISTRACT YOURSELVES FROM FUCK2014.GIF.

REPENT, AND WATCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjOfJTloxfM

This guy is living the loving DREAM

A Merlin-powered Rolls. :jebstare:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I loving hate tech these days. After 2 years, my Nexus 4 is starting to fail at its most basic task, "be a phone". Sometimes I'll try to dial and it'll just hang up immediately every time until I reboot the thing. Then there's the way Google Music tends to poo poo itself if I do crazy things like skipping a few songs in a row.

Ugh. Is there a decent, cheapish phone out there these days?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

I loving hate tech these days. After 2 years, my Nexus 4 is starting to fail at its most basic task, "be a phone". Sometimes I'll try to dial and it'll just hang up immediately every time until I reboot the thing. Then there's the way Google Music tends to poo poo itself if I do crazy things like skipping a few songs in a row.

Are you using the stock ROM?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Today on "Why you shouldn't work at Rural/Metro"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUkS_Vn0dtY

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Be happy you got nearly 2 years outta your nexus 4. Mine lasted about a month before making GBS threads itself.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My iPhone 4, 5S, and 6 Plus were all awesome, never had any problems with em. I really tried to like my Note 2 and S3 but they were piles of garbage.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Tusen Takk posted:

My iPhone 4, 5S, and 6 Plus were all awesome, never had any problems with em. I really tried to like my Note 2 and S3 but they were piles of garbage.

Heh, I have had my 5s for a year and the phone dies when the battery is anywhere from 35% to 80%. I am a bit annoyed because I had my 4 for three years without issue and I do not really have the time to see about getting the 5s fixed.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

We all leave our books in a cabinet in the classroom so we don't have to haul them to and from class since it's only twice a week. Some fucker stole my Fire Alarms Systems textbook.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I smashed the same fingertip three loving times today....gently caress trucks...gently caress them all

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Someone has offered me a 1990 Mitsubishi Montero for around $1000 because he needs quick cash. Normally a good guy, I think it has around 240k on it, with a new motor at 200k but original tranny. 3.0 V6, looks like the same V6 used in the Plymouth Acclaim.

I've been looking for a beater SUV. How crazy am I?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

My nexus 4 started acting up right after I installed the 5.0 update. Doing a factory reset can fix that if it isn't a hardware issue. If it doesn't fix it your hardware is probably just on it's way out

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Justin Lin is directly Start Trek 3 YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

cursedshitbox posted:

Be happy you got nearly 2 years outta your nexus 4. Mine lasted about a month before making GBS threads itself.

Actually, its working perfectly fine. :hydrogen:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got my N4 in the first launch wave. Aside from some issues after each major Android update it's been a solid phone.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CornHolio posted:

Our cat died today.

Oh man, I'm sorry :(

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Viggen posted:

Actually, its working perfectly fine. :hydrogen:

I expect nothing less from you.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Justin Lin is directly Start Trek 3 YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Is directly what?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Is directly what?

IS DIRECTLY AWESOME YOU SHUT UP.

I DIDNT MEANT THAT I LOVE YOU BABAY

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Will probably have to drive into downtown Boston tomorrow. May god have mercy on my soul. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

CornHolio posted:

Our cat died today.

Its been a bad year for pets. My condolences.

cursedshitbox posted:

I expect nothing less from you.

Seriously. It has one little problem that the screen wigs out when it is plugged in, but only when charging on an official Amazon Kindle cable. It doesn't go any deeper (actually a little less) than anything else I've thrown it on. I just paid like $30 in parts to try to get the other one I took on trade to be functional- it doesn't work without headphones and it is probably software AND hardware. Swell. IDFK. :shrug:

ITS LIKE MOTHERFUCKING CHRISTMAS HERE except I paid for this poo poo..

New brushes (with matching emory pads to file them down to fit). About $25.
Used (grungy) blower motor. $20.

GOOD INVESTMENT, RIGHT? I wanted to cut my teeth on one not IN the car, and once I'm happy with this, I'll do the swap- then fix this one. Ain't gonna be stuck driving the drat Explorer when the heat drops below 30. Its too slow.

20 more 41 09 070s to tear open and resolder with a higher temp solder. If you are dumb enough to buy a new one- $80 is the going rate. If you buy a used one on eBay- you are looking at like $10 without a warranty. I can fix it and make a bit of a profit for $15. Those profits are a bit better than my non-much-profit SID/ACC cable sales.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 23, 2014

• Locked thread