Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
d3 for people who can't d3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MeruFM posted:

d3 for people who can't d3?

I guess so, it's kind of a middle ground between something like Tableau and D3

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
d3, Readers Digest Condensed Version

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Dammit, everyone is still playing "hammer the merges and waste another goddamned day" AGAIN. We can't just go UAT -> QA -> PROD we have to ~merge the branches~ every loving time and some dipshit changed some whitespace between a parameter's getter/setters in our stupid snowflake ORM, and then people get mad and just mash "take whatever" and erase my changes in some markup that nobody else should have touched at all. I stayed late Friday helping the senior merge-doer and don't want to do that poo poo again.

But that's not as bad as the poo poo I just did. I found a spaghetti octopus ratking of a compiled loving executable taking command line args to do things a power shell script should be doing. I found it when I was told to hack it so that it would fail silently if it did a query and found nothing when generating reports and emails/messages to send to BIG IMPORTANT CLIENTS. Because failing silently is apparently the best kind of failing. On top of it the way I did the hack is shameful but it's because even doing that right would take time up that would keep me from cranking out tickets.

I'm fine with maintenance programming but holy poo poo I should get some kind of authority to say "this is BS" if my job is to do heart surgery on a big old behemoth. I actually feel a little dirty right now but not in the good way.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

for your vcs issues sounds like you need someone in charge of a central repo who reviews pull requests and has the power to reject if the coder can't address the review comments (ie don't commit files you didn't touch because your IDE formatted them). then you need a 'coding standard' so IDE auto formats don't gently caress your day. then you need to learn about -Xignore-all-space

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

my stepdads beer posted:

for your vcs issues sounds like you need someone in charge of a central repo who reviews pull requests and has the power to reject if the coder can't address the review comments (ie don't commit files you didn't touch because your IDE formatted them). then you need a 'coding standard' so IDE auto formats don't gently caress your day. then you need to learn about -Xignore-all-space

We do use stylecop, but we also sometimes don't always... use it.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Space Whale posted:

gently caress tha police

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Space Whale posted:

integrate it into your builds fool, and make warnings errors. gently caress anyone who disagrees

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

there's a stylecop rule which says any use of #region is not allowed, which i don't really get. maybe that's why i'm in this thread!

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

pointsofdata posted:

there's a stylecop rule which says any use of #region is not allowed, which i don't really get. maybe that's why i'm in this thread!

I LOVE changing branches and having VS just sit and hang with its teeth in its mouth while my regions won't let me expand, I tell ya w-hat.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

pointsofdata posted:

Your IDE should be able to collapse sections of the file without needing to pollute the file itself with junk that everyone else has to deal with.

--

Also why the gently caress can't you just take your QA build and move it to production as-is? lol if you're manually merging things again to create your prod build, because now there's no guarantee that what was tested by QA is actually the same thing as what you're releasing.

Whoever is in charge of your release process has hosed up big time.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pointsofdata posted:

the only times i've seen #region in use (where it helped a lot) are really crazy dense codebases with poor soc and big nasty swiss army classes

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

whats #region

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

visual studios cool thing for cool guys

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Jabor posted:

Your IDE should be able to collapse sections of the file without needing to pollute the file itself with junk that everyone else has to deal with.

--

Also why the gently caress can't you just take your QA build and move it to production as-is? lol if you're manually merging things again to create your prod build, because now there's no guarantee that what was tested by QA is actually the same thing as what you're releasing.

Whoever is in charge of your release process has hosed up big time.

The guy who did it is new to git. FWIW we all miss TFS. Maybe we can go back to it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Space Whale posted:

basically what I'm gettin from this thread from like a quick once-over of ur posts is that you deserve the pain you're experiencing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Space Whale posted:

The guy who did it is new to git. FWIW we all miss TFS. Maybe we can go back to it.

it's not even a git thing, this is just basic release management.

is the guy completely new to software development or something?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

trip report:

i drove to their office, it's a nice place in a modern office building about an hour away at rush hour, 45 minutes otherwise. one of those big fountains in the middle so the whole place smells like chlorine.

answered the dreaded whiteboard problem about recursive tree traversal. i was close with a little help but they seemed satisfied with my method (particularly impressed that I bothered defining what a node class was). the guy i talked to (their engineering manager) said close enough, just email him a solution by tomorrow. got shown around the office, talked about the job duties and future prospects, showed me some office amenities, there's a deli in the building, free snack bar, exercise machines, infinite soda/tea, etc. they were nice. went home and emailed them the solution. they emailed me back 15 minutes later saying they'd send me an offer letter in the mail. :toot:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

see how easy that was

now counter their offer

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kickass, now negotiate for more bucks

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

trip report:

i drove to their office, it's a nice place in a modern office building about an hour away at rush hour, 45 minutes otherwise. one of those big fountains in the middle so the whole place smells like chlorine.

answered the dreaded whiteboard problem about recursive tree traversal. i was close with a little help but they seemed satisfied with my method (particularly impressed that I bothered defining what a node class was). the guy i talked to (their engineering manager) said close enough, just email him a solution by tomorrow. got shown around the office, talked about the job duties and future prospects, showed me some office amenities, there's a deli in the building, free snack bar, exercise machines, infinite soda/tea, etc. they were nice. went home and emailed them the solution. they emailed me back 15 minutes later saying they'd send me an offer letter in the mail. :toot:

grats. now

Captain Foo posted:

negotiate for more bucks

especially since willing to send you an offer that quickly

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Luigi Thirty posted:

trip report:

nice dude

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

another yospos success story

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dont rush into this though, what if its worse than your current retail position

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
grats luigi :toot:

personally I prefer to leave the hardball negotiations for when I'm currently employed, but ymmv

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
congrats luigi, it's about time you stepped out of mario's shadow

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

post the hard question, if you remember

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

post the hard question, if you remember

it wasn't hard once i wasn't trying to do it on a whiteboard in a conference room

given a binary tree and a search number, write an algorithm that returns true if the sum of the values of the nodes in any traversal path equals the search number or false if no path matches the search number

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Use an exception to signal success and break out of the recurs ion :q:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Reply faaaaaaart because coding tests are dumb and bad

Joe Law
Jun 30, 2008

my favorite dumb coding question that ive been asked is:

Given an array of size n containing integers 0 through (n - 1), sort the array in place in an efficient manner

like half my friends still cant answer it :(

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lmao holy crap my company is totally dysfunctional it owns

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

fart simpson posted:

lmao holy crap my company is totally dysfunctional it owns

this except all companies

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Joe Law posted:

my favorite dumb coding question that ive been asked is:

Given an array of size n containing integers 0 through (n - 1), sort the array in place in an efficient manner

like half my friends still cant answer it :(

array.sort()

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
C# code:

for(int i=0;i<n;i++)
{
	theArray[i]=i;	
}

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bloody posted:

Reply faaaaaaart because coding tests are dumb and bad

they didn't care if it was code or pseudocode, they more wanted to watch you figure out how you'd do it i guess. i didn't get the full answer but they didn't care. they already asked me technical questions over the phone anyway (explain how a linked list works, what's the difference between a left inner join and an outer join, etc)

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 24, 2014

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

shaggar has smashed through the problem like a terminator

Brave GNU World
Nov 1, 2013

by Cyrano4747

[0, 1, 10, ..., 19, 2, 20, ...]

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or really theArray.length instead of n.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

they didn't care if it was code or pseudocode, they more wanted to watch you figure out how you'd do it i guess. i didn't get the full answer but they didn't care. they already asked me technical questions over the phone anyway (explain how a linked list works, what's the difference between a left inner join and an outer join, etc)

Didn't they ask you to email them the answer when you got home? What the gently caress is that. Maybe they don't know and are looking for help.

• Locked thread