Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I didn't buff before my Last Giant fight on my latest run and noticed a move I've never seen him do before

he just got worn out mid-fight and took a dive

Hah, I've never seen that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

a retard posted:

Crossposting from the DS1 thread:

Holy crap. There's no fuckin way it's actually Namco that did that. That's gotta be a false claim, right? Didn't Bamco publicly acknowledge what DSfix had accomplished and done for the game???

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

From did. Namco publishes the game, they don't make it.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Ahahahah I think it is FROM being a dick about the Debug Mode poo poo. People are getting strikes on their youtube channels because they post things about it. I'm worried because I posted this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfptp0eEzic
Someone in the comments said they got a copyright strike because of their video, also.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's not like trainer abuse wasn't rampant anyway, why would you need a debug mode to be a dick to people

(I don't know anything about the debug build in question but I'm guessing it allows people to be assholes in pvp)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dollas posted:

Lightning heide knight sword good for pve yes/no? Any alternative suggestions?

I thought it did good damage for at least the first half of the game, and the moveset is pretty sweet too. I kept it around through the endgame as an offhand weapon to pair with another elemental sword (I think I made a dark-element sword and tried to do some corny Lightning and Thunder thing :downs: ).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't know if I enjoy my sorcerer atm. I mean, going through the levels is fun to zap enemies from a distance, but the boss arenas are so loving tiny I can't dodgeroll anywhere. Do the arenas open up later on or does it remain this cramped all the way through?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

double nine posted:

I don't know if I enjoy my sorcerer atm. I mean, going through the levels is fun to zap enemies from a distance, but the boss arenas are so loving tiny I can't dodgeroll anywhere. Do the arenas open up later on or does it remain this cramped all the way through?

If you're not rolling under their right armpit you're dodging wrong.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

double nine posted:

Most bosses have fast and painful distance-closers, stay close and dodge.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I didn't buff before my Last Giant fight on my latest run and noticed a move I've never seen him do before

he just got worn out mid-fight and took a dive

"Lost Giant, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The fun one is when you're co-opping with somebody against Last Giant and then get landed on, which is an instant kill. Nothing quite like that to take the wind out of your sails.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I think this was patched out awhile ago, but Last Giant could fall in front of the fogwall and kill any phantoms who were chilling outside of it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What the hell? The only thing I can think is that they blame DSfix for that debug mode getting out or something weird like that.

Isn't this only even possible because they hosed up in the steam port, which has nothing to do with DSfix I think?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ahahahah I think it is FROM being a dick about the Debug Mode poo poo. People are getting strikes on their youtube channels because they post things about it. I'm worried because I posted this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfptp0eEzic
Someone in the comments said they got a copyright strike because of their video, also.

This is hilarious.

it's kind of frustrating too because the fact it's available, even by accident ironically brings new life back to the game. Shooting themselves in the foot.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I just heard about the HD release thing and I'm kind of bummed out about it. I don't want to buy the game a second time, but I want to play the content. But I heard the free patch doesn't actually include all the new content when it gets released? What is all this poo poo about anyway. Most of the videos that cover this are almost hysterical about "NAMCO TAKIN ARE MONEY" so it's hard to get a good grasp of the facts, because dark souls fans tend to flip out over even the most minor things.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Nuebot posted:

So I just heard about the HD release thing and I'm kind of bummed out about it. I don't want to buy the game a second time, but I want to play the content. But I heard the free patch doesn't actually include all the new content when it gets released? What is all this poo poo about anyway. Most of the videos that cover this are almost hysterical about "NAMCO TAKIN ARE MONEY" so it's hard to get a good grasp of the facts, because dark souls fans tend to flip out over even the most minor things.

You'll get access to all of the new content for free. What you won't get will be the improved visuals, the re-arranged enemy placement, and changes to item descriptions I think.

Whatever new boss and area and enemies and items in the new area, that's all free.

They also haven't said one way or another if owning the game (and, hopefully, the season pass) gives you a discount on it or not. Ideally they will!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Oh so it's just enemy placement and item descriptions you don't get? I'm cool with not getting that until the HD version is super cheap. I'm poor and I'm still hoping the DLC for dark souls 2 goes on sale some time before the end of the christmas sale because it looks really rad and I haven't gotten to it yet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nuebot posted:

You don't get the DLC unless you've paid for it of course. The patch seems to come with w/e new content Scholar actually adds (the fiery tree dude who tells you lore stuff then explodes, maybe a new area; it's not very clear) that's not tied to performance. So poo poo like there being up to 6 people in a world, or the new enemy placements, you won't get.

Nuebot posted:

Oh so it's just enemy placement and item descriptions you don't get? I'm cool with not getting that until the HD version is super cheap. I'm poor and I'm still hoping the DLC for dark souls 2 goes on sale some time before the end of the christmas sale because it looks really rad and I haven't gotten to it yet.

Even if it's a full $60, I'll bet you can find it for $40-50 from as a pre-order from greenmangaming, or from g2a after it's released.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am guessing characters cannot be transferred either, and they won't fix the 16:10 monitor letterbox problem

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The 16:10 thing is really a personal problem

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

see you tomorrow posted:

The 16:10 thing is really a personal problem

Look into your heart to realize that the 16:10 problem isn't anything personal, it simply is.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My solution was to buy a 16:9 display.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's even worse on 4:3.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I played about six hours of DS1 a few years ago and gave up like a big baby when I couldn't beat the Taurus Demon. A very kind goon gifted me DS2 the other day, and in the same timespan I've made it to Heide's Tower of Flame and beaten the Dragonrider, so I'm feeling a lot better about this one. I've got a few questions, though:

- From watching LP's online, I've noticed a lot of people try to circle strafe enemies by getting right up in their armpit, but it only kind of works for me; either there's something I'm not getting or I'm not fast enough. My equipment load is around 60%, and I'm using a level-appropriate weapon.

- Right now my strategy is to keep trying a section until being hollow drops my HP to 50%. If that fails, I'll use an effigy and summon someone. Does this sound right? I've never been 100% clear on the ins and outs of hollowing and humanity in either game. I've just picked up the Ring of Binding, so this strategy might change soon anyway.

- Is there any reason not to Alt+Tab from the title screen and close the window to exit the game?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It's even worse on 4:3.

People still use 4:3? How quaint.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The first time I tried fighting the Taurus demon without Gold Resin, I barely did any damage. Now granted, I was using an Estoc but that poo poo took forever if I tried to fight him without buffs.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

I played about six hours of DS1 a few years ago and gave up like a big baby when I couldn't beat the Taurus Demon. A very kind goon gifted me DS2 the other day, and in the same timespan I've made it to Heide's Tower of Flame and beaten the Dragonrider, so I'm feeling a lot better about this one. I've got a few questions, though:

- From watching LP's online, I've noticed a lot of people try to circle strafe enemies by getting right up in their armpit, but it only kind of works for me; either there's something I'm not getting or I'm not fast enough. My equipment load is around 60%, and I'm using a level-appropriate weapon.

- Right now my strategy is to keep trying a section until being hollow drops my HP to 50%. If that fails, I'll use an effigy and summon someone. Does this sound right? I've never been 100% clear on the ins and outs of hollowing and humanity in either game. I've just picked up the Ring of Binding, so this strategy might change soon anyway.

- Is there any reason not to Alt+Tab from the title screen and close the window to exit the game?

Increase your Adaptability stat to give you more invincibility frames during your rolls, and roll as late as possible to avoid attacks because enemies in ds2 will pivot on their heels to track you until the very last second.

Instead of using effigies you can use one of the white soapstones to be summoned into someone else's game. The small one is better if you've found it because all you have to do is kill some enemies or hang out or whatever until time is up. If you finish without dying you'll be revived as human for free. And if you help them beat a boss hey free practice and also a bunch of souls, cool.

I dunno but you can just alt-f4 to quit the game too and it makes sure to save before it closes.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You'll get access to all of the new content for free. What you won't get will be the improved visuals, the re-arranged enemy placement, and changes to item descriptions I think.

This is wrong, by the way, EVERYONE gets item description changes (it would be silly if it was otherwise).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nuebot posted:

I don't want to buy the game a second time

No true goon :getout:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Which of the boss souls weapons are worth upgrading for a mostly strength build

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Nuebot posted:

if its a "pay 10 bucks to upgrade" thing some games do, i will be fine with it. but if its 50 bucks for everyone, even people who bought the season pass, ill be super bummed out and will probably wait til its 75% off a year from then.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Goofballs posted:

From memory, the Pursuer's sword and the Chariot lance are pretty good. Chariot lance is probably the earliest you can get a lance, but Pursuer's sword is similar to the Greatsword, and you can get the latter fairly early from either Vengarl or No Man's Wharf (for free, no less).

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I don't give a poo poo about HD, but the new version will have completely separate servers essentially killing whatever multilayer is left.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If you're looking at DLC boss souls as well, Raime's and the Ivory King's souls aren't bad either.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

White Phosphorus posted:

I don't give a poo poo about HD, but the new version will have completely separate servers essentially killing whatever multilayer is left.

They don't really have a choice.

They can't really implement the 4th DLC as a paid upgrade without doing it this way, because I don't even want to imagine the synchronization issues between DLC and non-DLC owners. It's not like the first three DLCs which barely affected the original areas.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Goofballs posted:

Fume knight ultra greatsword is a cool and fun weapon with I think S scaling in str.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So I kill the crystal lizard in Huntsman's Copse and then die before I can loot it and when I get back it's reward is gone. Later, I decide I want another soul spear so I burn a ascetic at the bonfire and it doesn't respawn. Whoops, it was tied to the second, not the third. Oh well. I can get a good +2 ring!

A sunbro helps me out with the skelly boss, and I homeward bone and go back for another try at the lizard and the exact same thing happens only this time i'm carrying 30k souls from the boss. Of course, I die on the way there because the guys are twice as strong.

So I lose out on both lizards AND 30k in souls. :darksouls:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Does the permanent life protection on the three crowns carry over into NG+ or no? I'm guessing it doesn't but I just thought I'd check.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

Does the permanent life protection on the three crowns carry over into NG+ or no? I'm guessing it doesn't but I just thought I'd check.

It does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lester Shy posted:

Wait for enemies to swing at you to get behind them while they're busy missing you. Also get a shield with as high physical blocking as possible to use while you learn to dodge.

Grab the Binding Ring. It's not far from Dragonrider and will prevent your HP from dropping by half, so you only lose 25% total.