Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I mean, yeah, all RPGs are kind of alternating stories and dungeons, but SMT leans heavier on the dungeons, which are longer and more involved and less on the story, which is is told mostly through cut scenes with limited opportunity for player interaction. Persona, on the other hand, has shorter, simpler dungeons (ignoring the fact that P3 just has one long dungeon) and more and longer story bits with more character interaction. It's not that they're different, it's just how they're weighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

oblomov posted:

I even love Soul Hackers... probably for nostalgia.

May I inquire what your issue with Soul Hackers is?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

its boring

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

So Persona 3's worth looking into.

Next question: Persona 3, or Persona 3 FES?

(Actually, I don't seem to have FES, but it's only $16 on Amazon right now)

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Variant_Eris posted:

May I inquire what your issue with Soul Hackers is?

Main issue is that some of the systems are quite a bit dated. I really like the game otherwise, probably even more then SMT IV overall.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Codiekitty posted:

P3 FES is a must or P3P instead. Vanulls P3 has some issues.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Codiekitty posted:

FES for sure. It adds some useful gameplay tweaks and a bunch of additional content to the main game, pluse there's also an additional chapter that's sort of like a post-game coda. The real choice is between P3P and P3:FES — the former adds the ability to control characters, which is a big deal for some people, but it means that instead of cutscenes certain parts of it are delivered entirely in dialog.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FES is nothing but an enhanced version.

Persona 3 Portable is the best version (especially if you pick the female protagonist), but the trade-off is no in-engine cutscenes. All the cutscenes, and the overworld, are talking heads and cursors, no 3D Models.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Codiekitty posted:

FES if you can't play the portable version.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

yes it is

the final dungeon was bad but its not worse than sector e in strange journey fwiw

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

strange journey is boring as poo poo, especially since they decided to do tiers of the invisible-door-opening ability so you get to check every wall in the world several times over

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yes that is what i am saying

i liked strange journey but it i can see why some people wouldn't like it at all. even as someone who likes it i can prepare a laundry list of things about it that are absolutely terrible and i think i like it because of these terrible things instead of in spite of it

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
which shadow hearts is the good one

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Shin Megami Tensei IV is hella cool and the only thing that I actively dislike about it is that the world map is kind of the worst and expects you to kind of know parts of Tokyo.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

hubris.height posted:

2, though the soundtrack isn't quite as good as 1, and it's way more towards the absurd and quirky side. 3 has some super creepy demon designs even by series standards, but it's very hard to take it seriously due to the plot, and it has almost no relation to games 1 or two aside from the overall aesthetic and the recurring plot element of Malice.

The problem with the Shadow Hearts games is that they're easy as gently caress, which is a pity because they have super cool combat systems. It's the same deal with Grandia games.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 23, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

hubris.height posted:

All of them but for different reasons. The first one is the only one that really succeeds at being a horror game (aside from the enemy designs which are consistently creepy) and does the best job at making you grow attached to the characters but it has the worst gameplay by far and is pretty ugly. Shadow Hearts 2 greatly improved the gameplay while still having a solid story and characters. It's generally regarded as the best because it's really good all around and has a ton of content. Shadow Hearts 3 expands on the already great gameplay from SH2 and adds more depth and difficulty. Unfortunately the pacing in the second half of the storyline is poo poo and most of the characters are bland. The villain cast is really good though, and the game looks nice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hubris.height posted:

1 and 2 (covenant) are both good. from the new world is extremely goofy/random but still isn't bad

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I want to get (back) into CRPGs, but I'm being indecisive. What is the answer?

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 23, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
playing shadow hearts 2 on ps2 emulator

so far i like the idea of playing as a wwi german female lieutenant hunting down demons from a village and the graphics with emulator upscaling and poo poo are really really nice

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

dude789 posted:

and has a ton of content

This can't be stated enough, Covenant is a loving huge game. Each party members gets at least one sidequest and optional dungeon to get their ultimate equipment. It doesn't take as long to 100% as, say, FF12, but it is absolutely packed, both discs.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Just a heads up, SH2 will spoil the ending of Shadow Hearts so keep that in mind if you want to play all three.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
oh jeez i guess i could go back and play sh1. im not too far into this one yet and i guess i won't want to go back to sh1 if i play through enough sh2

this looks really good for a ps2 game is it because of the emulator or was it just this well done?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SH1 is really good.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
All three Shadow Hearts were some of the best-looking games on the PS2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a lot of SH2 won't make sense or have any impact if you haven't played SH1. It's a direct sequel, and relies a lot on that game's ending for emotional effect. It doesn't reuse the whole cast from 1, but the characters it does reuse are major in both games, and have an arc that starts in SH1 and ends in SH2.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 23, 2014

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
The gay pro-wrestler vampire slamming a frozen tuna into an enemy, however, will not make sense even if you have played SH1. And it is glorious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gamma Nerd posted:

The gay pro-wrestler vampire slamming a frozen tuna into an enemy, however, will not make sense even if you have played SH1. And it is glorious.
Actually Keith's ultimate weapon sidequest in SH1 does introduce him!

Just not in his full glory.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
fuckin lol this game is so early 2000s it hurts. the entire train scene is like a cut matrix scene. mc is a change of pace from most jrpg protags though. reads like a character from a yahoo chat role play log though

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do not insult Yuri.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat
SH 1 is a little rough, yeah. It's pretty short though, compared to SH 2 and 3.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Rush_shirt posted:

I want to get (back) into CRPGs, but I'm being indecisive. What is the answer?

Pillars of Eternity just around the corner...

And you can't throw a rock (somehow?) without hitting a decent new indie RPG on Steam.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Pillars of Eternity just around the corner...

And you can't throw a rock (somehow?) without hitting a decent new indie RPG on Steam.

Looks good. But what about now? Shadowrun? Wasteland? Or something older?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
protag is kinda like a draft version of zidane with some more demon in 'em

its definitely rough around the edges but it is not "bad". how long is it about?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Trails in the Sky is 50% off on Steam for the next 24 hours. It's still $10, so maybe you want to hold out longer and that's fine by me, but I'm saying it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you should buy it at that price, or any price because trails owns. It has cake attacks seal of approval

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i havent played this game in a long time but its still so good

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

corn in the bible posted:

i havent played this game in a long time but its still so good

Behold the great Hero, bearer of the True Rune, leader of the rebellion!

All hail Hank!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Leper Residue posted:

Behold the great Hero, bearer of the True Rune, leader of the rebellion!

All hail Hank!

it really is all in the name.

:heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i really wanna play bof 3 again now

is there a psxe thing that does the kind of scaling and improving of graphics that pcsx2 does for ps2?