Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

OK yeah, it's almost Christmas, I'll give you that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Empress of the Racnoss, too! For certain values of "mask".

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

We're missing the point here, the point is that we need to reanimate Bob Holmes and get him pumping out sci-fi Greek tragedy and Hammer horror instanter

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Tennant and Simm were both just chewing scenery in rubber masks for most of their tenures, weren't they?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

Tennant and Simm were both just chewing scenery in rubber masks for most of their tenures, weren't they?

Again man, that's a tree, we need to look at the forest and then write a story about how a flawed genius in a bondage outfit is hiding from a tyrannical regime in it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fungah! posted:

we need to reanimate Bob Holmes

Bring your kid to his grave, he'll pop out just for the sheer joy of terrifying the little bugger. That's when you jump him and chain him to a typewriter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fungah! posted:

YOU DARE MOCK THE GREAT OMEGA!? MY WILL CREATED THIS PLACE AND YOU SHALL NOT MOCK ME!!
                                                              \

"Are you sure that you and he are of the same intelligence?"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
"Would you like to buy an Omega doll? It says four different phrases."

"Sounds like the Omega I know."

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Metal Loaf posted:

"Are you sure that you and he are of the same intelligence?"

That line did make me for real lol.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fungah! posted:

If we're honest, the number one flaw with the revival's the total lack of big shouty people in masks chewing the scenery

Agreed, whither:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
On a side note, Random.org wanted me to watch those three stories in that order last night

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Edit - and I can't get to it because I'm at work, but the Radio Times poster for this episode was absolutely incredible.

Okay, that's awesome.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am still not quite on board with Lucy Miller as a companion (the whole "I'm just bustin' your balls because I'm your best buddy" dynamic they seem to be going for happened a bit too quickly), but speaking of shouty people, the Eighth Doctor Adventures manages to hire some great ones for the first season. Instead of masks, some of them are given voice modulation. Maybe they're wearing masks too, we would never know. Either way, they're chewing the scenery like they're in a Greek tragedy, in one instance because they are actually playing Zeus, Hera and Ares.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I am still not quite on board with Lucy Miller as a companion (the whole "I'm just bustin' your balls because I'm your best buddy" dynamic they seem to be going for happened a bit too quickly), but speaking of shouty people, the Eighth Doctor Adventures manages to hire some great ones for the first season. Instead of masks, some of them are given voice modulation. Maybe they're wearing masks too, we would never know. Either way, they're chewing the scenery like they're in a Greek tragedy, in one instance because they are actually playing Zeus, Hera and Ares.

I really enjoyed that one, it was a nice semi-rebuttal to Lord of Light (one of the best sci-fi books ever, btw) and a lot of fun to listen to. And yeah, it took a bit to get used to Lucie, but I really enjoy her so far. I should get back to the EDAs, I'm only halfway through the second season.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I got Cybermen, Weeping Angel, and Tom Baker socks! Thanks, Santa! (Do you have a name? There was no name :()

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Maera Sior posted:

I got Cybermen, Weeping Angel, and Tom Baker socks! Thanks, Santa! (Do you have a name? There was no name :()

You are welcome!

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Big Finish is super confusing to me with their organization. What is the next eighth doctor story after Minuet, is it The Chimes at Midnight? Should I switch from Main Range to Dark Shadows at some point to continue my 8th doctor funtimes? Somebody was kind enough to talk about this before, but I don't know how to basically go "take me to the next eighth doctor one!" on Big Finish's site. Is there a trick to it, or some weird filter/search thing I'm missing? (saw the filter by doctor, but not sure how to progress from within just "all the audios with the 8th doctor in newest->oldest fashion".)

I haven't listened to minuet yet as I can't deal with that during morning commute, but happening in the next couple weekends. Looking forward to the ride! So far I've done up through Stones of Venice.

surc fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

surc posted:

Big Finish is super confusing to me with their organization. What is the next eighth doctor story after Minuet, is it The Chimes at Midnight? Should I switch from Main Range to Dark Shadows at some point to continue my 8th doctor funtimes? Somebody was kind enough to talk about this before, but I don't know how to basically go "take me to the next eighth doctor one!" on Big Finish's site. Is there a trick to it, or some weird filter/search thing I'm missing? (saw the filter by doctor, but not sure how to progress from within just "all the audios with the 8th doctor in newest->oldest fashion".)

I haven't listened to minuet yet as I can't deal with that during morning commute, but happening in the next couple weekends. Looking forward to the ride! So far I've done up through Stones of Venice.

Dark Shadows is something completely different.

All the Eighth Doctor stories up until "The Girl who Never Was" are in the "main range", at which point you shift to the Eighth Doctor Adventures.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

surc posted:

What Doctor What said is true, although it's a bit weird, because chronologically, Eighth Doctor Adventures was made in the middle of the main range stuff. If you want to go in order, just go down the main range, and listen to each one that uses Eight (including Zagreus). They reach a proper conclusion in story 102, but you're not going to spoil anything for yourself if you listen to Eighth Doctor Adventures. This should help (just look for Eight in the Main Range section):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_audio_plays_by_Big_Finish

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Thanks to this thread, I've really gotten into the Big Finish audios as of late. I bought and listened to Light At The End when it came out, and a friend got me Chimes of Midnight and Horror of Glam Rock at the beginning of the year. I very much enjoyed all three.

As a Christmas present to myself, I bought the whole of McGann's "first season", as well as Spare Parts, and ...Ish this past Saturday. I just finished Storm Warning about a half hour ago. I really enjoyed it. My fiance did not. She's a big fan of the show - classic, and NuWho - but I just can't seem to get her into any of the books or audios. Her only comment (for Chimes and Storm Warning) was that they both sound very tinny.

But anyway...
I thoroughly enjoyed Storm Warning. I was glad of the bit of dialogue from Rathbone about the Doctor having long hair to let the listener know that he looks as he did in the movie, and because it then made me wonder if and when the audios will get to the Doctor as he appeared in Night of the Doctor. I'm looking forward to finding out.

There were only two times I was forced out of the story: When I first heard the voice of Chief Steward Weeks (very cartoonishly put-on), and when the voice of Engineer Prime - it was just not what I was expecting, based on the sound of the wheezing heard in previous scenes.

All-in-all it was an exciting plot that, I thought, moved along rather nicely, and I'm excited to move on to Sword of Orion.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
So I listened to The Rani Elite last night (it's the last story in the new Six/Peri trilogy) and it was really drat good. Siobhan Redmond did a great job of selling the Rani as an actual threat. She's a lot more quiet and stern than the Master, still the mad scientist but now you actually see why the Doctor fears her; her ultimate plan is legitimately quite frightening! Of course it's also set in the Rani's future so she does get to make a few snide remarks about having met Seven and knocked off Six. And then there's a genius little chekhov's gun in the plot that totally caught me off-guard. The first two in the trilogy had a few problems, but this one is just great and the Rani is finally a villain worth fearing. Give it a shot.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Thank you for the Celebration book, Maera. I didn't realize there was a part 2 to my gift, so I was very surprised when a big oblong package appeared.

I feel like a super cheapskate only buying Bobkatt one thing. :stonk:

Ahahhaah, wow this this only goes through five Doctors, this will be the most ironic piece of literature I have ever seen.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
Just stopping by to say that the doctor who A Christmas Carol is still the best doctor who christmas special and maybe even my favorite TV christmas special ever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ninth Doctor comics are coming! with Nine, Rose and Jack!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rannos22 posted:

Just stopping by to say that the doctor who A Christmas Carol is still the best doctor who christmas special

It isn't exactly up against particularly stiff competition there.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Always exciting to see more with Nine. The premise sounds good enough, and the art's not bad. I'm a little iffy on how Shedd seems to draw Nine, though.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rannos22 posted:

Just stopping by to say that the doctor who A Christmas Carol is still the best doctor who christmas special and maybe even my favorite TV christmas special ever.

I don't know about my favorite Christmas special ever, but I have to go with The Next Doctor as my favorite Who Christmas special. I'm just a sucker for David Morrissey as "the Doctor" and a giant gently caress-off Cyberman stomping around Victorian London. It's so drat utterly ridiculous.

A Christmas Carol comes a close second, though. The story with the tie-ins to Dickens' story and the acting are just fantastic, as well as the sci-fi "keeping his love alive" elements. Plus the scene where the shark comes from out of nowhere is funny with how Smith sells it.

My favorite Christmas moment (aside from The Chimes of Midnight, of course) though is from Voyage of the Damned where Wilfred tells the Doctor "of course London's deserted on Christmas Eve. Have you SEEN what's happened the past couple?"

I have to admit, I've never looked into the comics for Ten and Eleven before. How have they been? Are there any trade paperbacks/omnibuses out there for them?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Looks like Big Finish is starting its annual Christmas sale tomorrow:

quote:

The 12 days of Big Finish special offer will start on Christmas Day. There will be 12 titles from across the Big Finish range available over the 12 days of Christmas for just 48 hours each...

The releases will cost £2.99 and are available on download only. The majority of titles we are offering have not been on sale before.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Rannos22 posted:

I'd rank the End of Time as No.1, but Christmas Carol is a close second.
You just can't beat Wilfred as a companion and Timothy Daltons hams it all up splendidly!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

adhuin posted:

You just can't beat Wilfred as a companion and Timothy Daltons hams it all up splendidly!

A shame about everything else.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
The Christmas Carol badly loses its way in terms of pacing as it passes the halfway mark and all that singing stuff was bollocks which is there to use Katherine Jenkins in a way that RTD never dared by having Astrid start singing 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' and jiggling her arse about.

The Christmas Invasion introduces the Tenth Doctor and very quickly establishes what he's all about, his absence is keenly felt for the right amount of time and the twist with Harriet Jones is heavy and good. It also has a Hitchhiker's Guide reference. The Sycorax are also proper Doctor Who villains.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Psybro posted:

The Christmas Carol badly loses its way in terms of pacing as it passes the halfway mark and all that singing stuff was bollocks which is there to use Katherine Jenkins in a way that RTD never dared by having Astrid start singing 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' and jiggling her arse about.

Well, on the other hand, RTD had Kylie Minogue acting; at least Moffat got Jenkins to do something she's good at. :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A Christmas Carol is the biggest piece of poo poo as far as writing goes in Doctor Who........well OK it's not, but it's one of my all time least favorite stories.

Objectively it's fine, but subjectively I can't stand it.

I could bring up all kinds of things about free will and NOT INSIDIOUSLY CHANGING SOME ONE'S PERSONAL HISTORY AGAINST THEIR CONSENT AND ACTIVELY FORCING THEM TO BE A DIFFERENT PERSON but really all I ever need is this.

Hey Doctor, it's nice your letting the sick girl out and slowly loving killing her every year, but how about, in between snogging Marilyn Monroe (SERIOUSLY?) you TAKE HER TO A loving HOSPITAL?

Any of them! I hear there's one on New Earth that is remarkably good at healing people! Or maybe one Even FURTHER in the future where whatever the hell is wrong with her can be cured by sneezing on her!

No? Just going to let her tragically waste away like some lovely self important rear end in a top hat? Even though the only reason SHE'S DYING LIKE THIS IS BECAUSE YOU'RE A SELFISH rear end?

Go to hell Christmas Carol.

Darken my doorstep no more.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

adhuin posted:

I'd rank the End of Time as No.1

:stare:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Burkion posted:

A Christmas Carol is the biggest piece of poo poo as far as writing goes in Doctor Who........well OK it's not, but it's one of my all time least favorite stories.

Objectively it's fine, but subjectively I can't stand it.

I could bring up all kinds of things about free will and NOT INSIDIOUSLY CHANGING SOME ONE'S PERSONAL HISTORY AGAINST THEIR CONSENT AND ACTIVELY FORCING THEM TO BE A DIFFERENT PERSON but really all I ever need is this.

Hey Doctor, it's nice your letting the sick girl out and slowly loving killing her every year, but how about, in between snogging Marilyn Monroe (SERIOUSLY?) you TAKE HER TO A loving HOSPITAL?

Any of them! I hear there's one on New Earth that is remarkably good at healing people! Or maybe one Even FURTHER in the future where whatever the hell is wrong with her can be cured by sneezing on her!

No? Just going to let her tragically waste away like some lovely self important rear end in a top hat? Even though the only reason SHE'S DYING LIKE THIS IS BECAUSE YOU'RE A SELFISH rear end?

Go to hell Christmas Carol.

Darken my doorstep no more.

butbut the docotr said everyones important???? that makes it good???????

blah blah blah fixed points cant save everyone AMY AND RORY ARE SAVED HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But I thought neither he nor Kasran knew about it? Until she only told Kasran at the end of the last night she could be out and about.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Are you talking to me? :smug:

Or me? :smug:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dabir posted:

But I thought neither he nor Kasran knew about it? Until she only told Kasran at the end of the last night she could be out and about.

The Doctor knew from the get go as far as I remember.

And even if he DIDN'T find out til late, why he could always just go back in time and take her at an earlier point to a hospital or something!

Or would that be violating the laws of time and loving space?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

All DW Christmas stories are cack because the Doctor shouldn't be celebrating Christmas, IMHO :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Guys. Fred in A Muppet Christmas Carol was in Timelash.

• Locked thread