Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

bobbilljim posted:

iTunes is ok

actually, its not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
itunes is meh i mnean i have it installed but i dont usee it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

colbylol posted:

itunes is meh i mnean i have it installed but i dont usee it

:agreed:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like itunes for podcasts

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
its just that i know i will use it once an then 15 new process will just run all the time forever as a result and that upsets me irrationally

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
why is youtube so gay?

the html5 player only has sw video decode
the flash player drops frames for some reason

same deal different poo poo with ff or chrome

i know a pentium and 9500gt is literal garbage but come the gently caress on its just videos

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
are htpcs still a thing? i kinda want to dump comcast and just do ota dvring and i guess a few isos but don't really want to cj anything.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

are htpcs still a thing? i kinda want to dump comcast and just do ota dvring and i guess a few isos but don't really want to cj anything.

this is mine: https://kyber.ninja/thread.php?id=7

it sits in the closet unused. maybe I'll turn it into a pfsense firewall or something idk.

or maybe upgrade the internals. apple tv has made it pretty redundant now that I can stream my mac to the tv at will.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Corla Plankun posted:

its just that i know i will use it once an then 15 new process will just run all the time forever as a result and that upsets me irrationally

it installs something called "bonjour service", which it says is for sharing media libraries. i don't have anyone to share with, so i disable that. up until recently, starting itunes without bonjour running caused itunes to crash :eng99:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PS. Love the cabin posted:

why is youtube so gay?

i know a pentium and 9500gt is literal garbage but come the gently caress on its just videos

youtubes html5 player is trash, but the reason its doing software encoding is because you're using bad browsers. when youtube detects a bad browser it sends webm which cant be hardware decoded. please upgrade to IE11 so it will use h264 which will be hardware decoded.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
i use itunes in windows and on mac, it syncs my playlists, which also work within the DJ software I use, and syncs my iPhone wirelessly.

Works for me.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

are htpcs still a thing?

no op

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

oracle/rman thinger. we're doing weekly full's with nightly diffs (or incremental cumulative or whateever dumb thing rman calls them). for all of our DB's except one, the diff size grows day to day consistently like we expect. however, one of the test db's ends up having diffs that are occasionally smaller than the previous day's. this db is used for user training on our application, so I assume there are either table or entire db rollbacks occurring after training sessions are complete. I think it makes sense that this behavior could occur in that situation but one of my coworkers stumbled on it and is spooked and now doesn't trust any of our db diffs

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Shaggar posted:

youtubes html5 player is trash, but the reason its doing software encoding is because you're using bad browsers. when youtube detects a bad browser it sends webm which cant be hardware decoded. please upgrade to IE11 so it will use h264 which will be hardware decoded.

ie11:
limited to 720p
still dropping frames for some reason

this is ridic
you shouldnt need this much horsepower to play a fuckin' video

this poo poo was fine a few months ago

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
works on my machine. like its hardware decoded, so do you have a hosed up video card or something?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

oracle/rman thinger. we're doing weekly full's with nightly diffs (or incremental cumulative or whateever dumb thing rman calls them). for all of our DB's except one, the diff size grows day to day consistently like we expect. however, one of the test db's ends up having diffs that are occasionally smaller than the previous day's. this db is used for user training on our application, so I assume there are either table or entire db rollbacks occurring after training sessions are complete. I think it makes sense that this behavior could occur in that situation but one of my coworkers stumbled on it and is spooked and now doesn't trust any of our db diffs

restore the backups somewhere. its good for u to do as a test and it will tell you if you backed poo poo up or not

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho if ur using chrome at the same time as ie, chrome will eat all the cpu while idling so IE cant have any.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
utube with html5 just plays mp4 and decodes on hardware fine on firefox for me. it's limited to 720 but its fine, i dont need 20% more pixels or w/e to enjoy my stupid cat videos

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i really like buying music on itunes then it magically appears on all my apple devices. it loving rules a+ would do again

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
huh, I wonder if youtube stopped encoding mp4s in >720p. sure sounds like google.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Shaggar posted:

works on my machine. like its hardware decoded, so do you have a hosed up video card or something?

gputemp shows the video engine doing work
its just dropping frames for some reason

ill have to try opening youtube urls in vlc and see if it does it
mp4s will play in 1080p if you use the flash player though

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaggar posted:

huh, I wonder if youtube stopped encoding mp4s in >720p. sure sounds like google.

if u use chrome you get the full rainbow of resolution in mp4 and 60 fps. im sure there's a technical reason for it, not anything like trying to strongarm you into using their dumb gay babby browser

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

graph posted:

i really like buying music on itunes then it magically appears on all my apple devices. it loving rules a+ would do again

google play music powered by play store application for phone applications (chromebook edition) does this too but it isn't a dang tsr sitting in my tray like itombs, it's a website like a normal store

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

maniacdevnull posted:

but it isn't a dang tsr sitting in my tray like itombs

i dont know what this means

is this windows user speak, lol

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
vlc plays 720p youtube just fine with hardware acceleration
unfortunately lol 1080p uses dash or something thats only available to their flash/html5 players

i wonder if its a memory issue
2gb should be enough for win7 x32 eh?

i suppose its possible the framedrops are just poo poo being paged to disk
but i dont wanna drop more $$$ on parts i literally plucked from my junk bin

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

restore the backups somewhere. its good for u to do as a test and it will tell you if you backed poo poo up or not

yeah, we got that scheduled in a few weeks and do it annually. but we're coming off backup exec and doing the backup to disk thing and I'd like to know ahead of time if this has a chance of working since our dba is an idiot and re-scheduling tests that go badly wastes my time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

gputemp shows the video engine doing work
its just dropping frames for some reason

ill have to try opening youtube urls in vlc and see if it does it
mp4s will play in 1080p if you use the flash player though

I wonder if flash is actually using mp4. its probably using webm or w/e other garbage codec google doesn't have to pay for.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Panty Saluter posted:

if u use chrome you get the full rainbow of resolution in mp4 and 60 fps. im sure there's a technical reason for it, not anything like trying to strongarm you into using their dumb gay babby browser

lol as if

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Shaggar posted:

I wonder if flash is actually using mp4. its probably using webm or w/e other garbage codec google doesn't have to pay for.

seems to be using mp4

ie11: uses html5 no matter what the youtube.com/html5 setting is and framedrops regardless
firefox: webm unaccelerated, html5 limited to 720p and framedrops, flash player framedrops
chrome: same as firefox
vlc: opens the 720p link and plays it as smooth as my rear end (real smooth)

vlc wont open the 1080p streams because google changed the format and vlc cant play it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
something is wrong w/ ur computer. do u have amd?

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
3ghz intel pentium d
i literally made it from my junk box to replace my aunts athlon xp 2100+

netburst was poo poo but not poo poo enough that youtube should be pissy

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol yeah video cards from the pentium D(umb) generation couldn't do hardware decode for anything they suck shitballs

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

my boss has me drag an old shitbox dell penium D out of the crap pile do to a demostration on the improvements for power efficiency over the last 5ish years and trying to run a 1080 30fps video on a 1600x1200 monitor couldn't actually hold 30fps and maxed out the cpu core it was running on while everything newer handed it fine because they are now doing h.264 and whatever else on the gpu. you don't remember it sucking so badly back then because the codecs had less cpu overhead and the content was never more than 480p

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
they decode h264 just fine though?
in fact i think theres only a handful of cards that accelerate vp9 anyway

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

my boss has me drag an old shitbox dell penium D out of the crap pile do to a demostration on the improvements for power efficiency over the last 5ish years and trying to run a 1080 30fps video on a 1600x1200 monitor couldn't actually hold 30fps and maxed out the cpu core it was running on while everything newer handed it fine because they are now doing h.264 and whatever else on the gpu. you don't remember it sucking so badly back then because the codecs had less cpu overhead and the content was never more than 480p

i remember

i remember using coreavc b/c my athlon was too lovely

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

why is youtube so gay?

they decode h264 just fine though?
in fact i think theres only a handful of cards that accelerate vp9 anyway
lol

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
your harshening my buzz

e:
yes it does 1080p just fine with next to no cpu usage
its just youtube's players being garbage

gently caress it ill put in an open in vlc extension or something

PS. Love the cabin fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 23, 2014

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

does RC4 violate PCI compliance at this point? are there even cipher requirements?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
my iphone with iOS 8.1.2 has 3 unread messages on the badge for the messages app even though all are read. any way to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I am so glad I didn't upgrade to ios 8