Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

oh lmao this is the phone theyve pinned their future on, i only just saw it

i cant decide whether im the reset button listed as a feature or the speed comparison to a 3 year old phone that was slow as gently caress at the time anyway.

im the mute button that doubles as the "digital assistant" button.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Last Chance posted:

im the mute button that doubles as the "digital assistant" button.

i cant count the number of times i've been in a quiet environment only to have someone accidentally trigger the bold's voice dialler. "SAY A COMMAND!"

it was activated by a conveniently-placed hardware button and went off even when the rest of the phone was on silent.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

chestnut santabag posted:

how did i miss this - blackberry and boeing are collaborating on making the phone to save you from having a bad phone

bah BBRY has been making exploding phones for a decade now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Proteus4994 posted:

bah BBRY has been making exploding phones for a decade now

unfortunately it failed to kill that awful kid and his horrible clip on tie

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

A death deferred?

BlackBerry's surviving, but not as a smartphone company
by Daniel Cooper

It's been almost a year since John Chen was appointed to save Blackberry and it's clear that his grand plan has, at least, stopped the company losing money hand over fist. In the Canadian outfit's latest three month report, it reveals that losses have been trimmed from $4.4 billion last year to a much more manageable $148 million. Of course, it's clear that as the business reinvents itself as a software-and-services company, manufacturing smartphones has increasingly become a side project.

At this point last year, the company had shipped 4.3 million smartphones, although the bulk of those were older BlackBerry 7 devices. This time around, less than half that figure -- 1.9 million devices -- found their way into the hands of consumers, with sales dwindling even in former strongholds like the Middle East and Asia Pacific. We're still waiting to see what impact, if any, new and "unconventional" devices like the Passport and Classic will have on fortunes, so there could be good news coming in the future on that front.

The company is still seeing its revenues split roughly down the middle, with 46 percent of cash coming from devices and the rest coming from software and services. It's the latter portion where John Chen sees the most potential, which is probably what prompted the company to buy mobile encryption company Secusmart. The company also saw big gains in its BlackBerry Enterprise Security platform, which grew over 100 percent in the last three months.

So, losses have been trimmed, software sales are growing and there's some cash in the bank. Someone should get a bottle of champagne and stick in the fridge, you know, just in case Chen's "eight quarter" plan pulls out something truly spectacular.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

infernal machines posted:

unfortunately it failed to kill that awful kid and his horrible clip on tie

how dare you poo poo on the newest group of young republicans?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nelson MandEULA posted:

well then this might interest you

oh my god later in that video the phone-in interactive poo poo. you can phone in to play roulette on the telly? oh my god the british have eclipsed us for poo poo television

EDIT: oh also that video is NSFW. just fyi for all my fellow yosposters

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol BlackBerry figured out that the fewer phones they sell the less money they lose

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

lol BlackBerry figured out that the fewer phones they sell the less money they lose

They should just stop selling phones and party with their cash until it runs out.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Nelson MandEULA posted:

well then this might interest you

brooker owns so hard. if anyone hasn't watched the tv show he directed don't watch it because it's really hosed up but it's really good

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i know youre talking about black mirror but he also wrote nathan barley and dead set which are also v. good.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Thanks Ants posted:

i know youre talking about black mirror but he also wrote nathan barley and dead set which are also v. good.

did not know this, ty

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
You must be joking because the BB10 web browser has been proven time and again to be the best mobile browser in the industry. With respect to taking photos, it’s funny how people who have never used BB10 say the camera is bad and yet whenever I send a photo to any of my friends, they all ask "what phone did you use to take that picture?" Apps is general; I have all the apps I need including Android apps like IG which runs smoothly and quickly on my phone.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Kirk posted:

With respect to taking photos, it’s funny how people who have never used BB10 say the camera is bad and yet whenever I send a photo to any of my friends, they all ask "what phone did you use to take that picture?"

The discerning reader will note that this is not necessarily a positive question.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
BB fans like Joanna Stern again

http://www.wsj.com/articles/blackberry-classic-review-the-best-blackberry-ever-made-1419355406

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

oh lmao this is the phone theyve pinned their future on, i only just saw it

i cant decide whether im the reset button listed as a feature or the speed comparison to a 3 year old phone that was slow as gently caress at the time anyway.

Where is the removable battery to pull everyday?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Origin posted:

Where is the removable battery to pull everyday?

there's an app for that

no, seriously

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

infernal machines posted:

there's an app for that

no, seriously

serious posting i had that app on both blackberries i had.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

It's already the same width as an S5, but look at the weight.

If BBRY had matched the height, thereby increasing screen ratio to something sensible, like 4:3 (albeit the wrong loving way), it would probably be a good 2.5 ounces heavier.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 26, 2014

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mister Macys posted:

If BBRY had matched the height, thereby increasing screen ratio to something sensible, like 4:3 (albeit the wrong loving way), it would probably be a good 2.5 ounces heavier.

the blackberry classic is heavier than the iPhone 6+ and the sarnsung galaxy s 5 note 4 edge

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the blackberry classic is heavier than the iPhone 6+ and the sarnsung galaxy s 5 note 4 edge

:thumbsup:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

even the Chinese and Russians don't make phones with a steel chassis

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mister Macys posted:

even the Chinese and Russians don't make phones with a steel chassis
the chinese make iphones and a russian phone would be either plastic all the way down or solid (& very malleable) gold

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Macys posted:

i don't think a couple more ounces on my phone would actually bother me so much. it's pretty light, and some heft might be nice :shrug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i would unironically buy a blackberry classic if they were £150 off contract but lmao they cost more than an iphone 5c

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

rimm should make a nice subtle blue android phone and call it blueberry

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

that would be hilarious

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Last Chance posted:

rimm should make a nice subtle blue android phone and call it blueberry

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

now some poor entry level pr employee has to use a blackberry

hell is instagram even available?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

why would you even do that from your phone?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fake or they already took it down :(

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

yeah they took it down once it got noticed, obvs

qirex posted:

now some poor entry level pr employee has to use a blackberry

hell is instagram even available?

you can sideload the android version :xd:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blackberry stock skyrocketed Wednesday afternoon after a report that the device maker had been approached by Samsung about a potential takeover.

At its high, Blackberry was up more than 21 percent.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

who keeps buying on these rumours?

the canadian government is never going to allow foreign ownership of bby. at least not until the last of their fetid carcass has sloughed out of the canadian government infrastructure

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Guy that sits across from me used to work there. He just sold all his stock and made a few 100 bucks

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1239rkV8bQ

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
ive been told by #yospos this is the thread where i can discuss what i had for dinner

i ordered a takeout dish of giant shrimps with thai curry and some good rice

and let me tell you

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bizarre homemade weapons built for the hell of it used to blow up random poo poo?

these are my people.

• Locked thread