Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The Saab 9-7x is just a fancy trailblazer.... Doesn't take much to be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sudo Echo posted:

Someone in my neighborhood had the same idea, almost thought that was the same car.

Sounded real mean when it drove off, badge on the back was simply "5.8" nothing else.

Not the same idea then! I assume that by "5.8" you mean some manner of Ford, probably a Windsor? The other guy's got a blown Chevy!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The Saab 9-7x is just a fancy trailblazer.... Doesn't take much to be better.

it wasn't a bad truck, but it was a GM product of another time with a different purpose than the GL. Fun in its own right, just nowhere near as refined.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

zundfolge posted:

Going to look at this tomorrow:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4810086839.html

I've always had a thing for the W126 and this is one of the cleanest I've seen for sale in my area for a while. Seems like it's at the mileage where the timing chain needs to be replaced, but aside from that, is there anything I should be looking out for? I have some CIS experience, so if it has issues with hard starting or whatever I can probably sort them out, but I don't know much about the rest of the car.

This was nice but the climate control didn't work (which I was expecting thanks to Google) and the ABS was acting up (which I wasn't). Sadly the dude wouldn't budge on the price, since it was a hoot to drive.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Help! I want this: 2004 E55, 81k miles.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4810373193.html

I want it BADLY. But Im worried about buying a money pit. I know about the SC pulley clutch bearing issue, and possible suspension issues. Other than that, from what i can tell these things are solid. This guy seems like hes way on top of the maintenance, and the low mileage is great. My use of the car will consist of about 2 days a week commute, followed by general weekend cruising, donuts in empty parking lots and trips to the tire store. So i wont be putting a ton of miles on it. I really just want it because Ive always wanted a nice luxury car thats full retard fast.
Im also okay with doing my own work, for lower level stuff.

As for the price, Ive seen him posting on MBworld and know he will take 15.5 to 16k. Im not sure if i should hold out for a cheaper car, or if the mileage and records are worth the extra bills.
So.. money pit? Should I keep my beat up WRX instead? Im so conflicted and I cant stop watching E55s doing burnouts on youtube and why do all the owners seem to be bros i swear theyre all wearing basketball shorts and backward hats IM NOT A BRO I SWEAR
I just want a supercharged german V8, is that so much to ask?

hedgegnome fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 23, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Tavarish, the guy who posts on Jalopnik alot about a) flipping cars and b) why you should buy a horribly unreliable luxury piece of poo poo instead of a modest and dependable car, drives a W220 beater - I think a S500 (his "buy a used luxury car" columns annoy the hell out of me, but I respect that he does his research and does a good job repairing/cleaning up cars for flips - he also has probably the best command of English of any writer on Gawker media).

Different classes of cars, but I'm kind of interested in how this compares to the beater E39 540i phenomenon going on in the BMW thread (I think one or more people may have E38 or E65s, which might be a more relevant comparo). I know electrics on the W220 are expensive to replace when sourced new, but from he's written it seems he hasn't really had to do much with them, and nothing with the drivetrain. What are everyones thoughts here?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
If you are worried about the price, and want to wait for a cheaper car even, run far, far away. You will absolutely be in over your head unless you can comfortably drop it off at the MB dealer every time you have a problem and hand them a blank check. Repairs on an AMG benz can be thousands more for things that are simple and cheap (or do not even exist) on other cars.

DO NOT get one if it is going to be your only mode of transport.

If you can afford a new one, you can afford to run a used one.

Remember you are still paying for parts and repairs for a previously $80-100k car, not a $16k car.

Comedy option is driving it until it breaks so much it's not drivable, and then running it in Lemons.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Voltage posted:

If you are worried about the price, and want to wait for a cheaper car even, run far, far away. You will absolutely be in over your head unless you can comfortably drop it off at the MB dealer every time you have a problem and hand them a blank check. Repairs on an AMG benz can be thousands more for things that are simple and cheap (or do not even exist) on other cars.

Remember you are still paying for parts and repairs for a previously $80-100k car, not a $16k car.

Comedy option is driving it until it breaks so much it's not drivable, and then running it in Lemons.

Are you talking about the S class or the E55 in this post? For what it's worth, my question is purely hypothetical.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

Voltage posted:

Well ok, that certainly sounds very, very bad.. thank you for scaring me but i shall continue to look into it :D

blk
Dec 19, 2009

hedgegnome posted:

Well ok, that certainly sounds very, very bad.. thank you for scaring me but i shall continue to look into it :D

I think Tremek owned one; you may want to ask him about it.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I've been DDing a 2004 E55 for over 2 years now, bought it with about 53,000 miles and it now has about 81,000 on it. The one I bought wasn't nearly as well maintained so I had to do a bit of work to get some things back to spec.

Maintenance has run me about $240 a month on average over the past 28.5 months. That includes oil changes, tires, brakes on all 4 corners, windshield replacements etc. Some of that work was done myself but most of it was from a local indy or the dealership. If you want to exclude things like tires from the budget it is much more reasonable. The car has been reliable so far, fingers crossed.

Things to watch out for:

the Mercedes 'lifetime' transmission fluid does, in fact, need to be changed if it hasn't already.
SBC brake system was under recall for 10 years after date of manufacture, see if the work has been done. Reservoir on mine went bad and they don't cover that part, approx $1200 installed from the dealership.
About 16 mpg and decent tires (A/S 3's currently) are about $1,000. Since they are staggered, cut the estimated tread life in half.

Judging from the pictures that car looks much nicer than mine and I wouldn't hesitate to buy again. If your budget allows it is a fantastic value for the money in terms of total cost basis even if you do have to spend a few thousand $$$ here and there in maintenance (which you will have to do with any car, especially one of similar power).

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My rant applies to the E55 - don't get me wrong, it's a badass, super awesome car, but I've just had too many friends ask me for car advice on deeply depreciated german cars and completely disregard my advice and then come back complaining they need a $1,500 timing chain guide job and get in over their heads. If you don't mind being vigilant with the maintenance, go nuts, you will have a ton of fun, but if you are on the fence for any financial reasons, it's probably a bad idea.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone in my family just bought a brand new E-350, and I can't figure out if MB-TEX is terrible car stuff or not. On the drive back I just couldn't get over how a $65K car essentially has vinyl as standard, and while the seats might fool some people (and I suspect they wouldn't if the car had a different badge -- at least anyone who has driving a recent make Toyota) all the touch points really won't. Looking at the listings though, maybe 0.5% of E-350's these days seem to come with leather seats.

Am I just being old fashion here?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Most of the mbtex in my 67 Mercedes is in perfect shape, shouldn't that be enough reason?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah I like mbtex. Good stuff.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chuu posted:

Someone in my family just bought a brand new E-350, and I can't figure out if MB-TEX is terrible car stuff or not. On the drive back I just couldn't get over how a $65K car essentially has vinyl as standard, and while the seats might fool some people (and I suspect they wouldn't if the car had a different badge -- at least anyone who has driving a recent make Toyota) all the touch points really won't. Looking at the listings though, maybe 0.5% of E-350's these days seem to come with leather seats.

Am I just being old fashion here?

It's an open secret that the vinyl leatherette seats in BMWs hold up much better over time than the actual leather ones, I'm assuming Mercs are the same way.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey I don't think we have any W202 people on here but I hate other forums so I figure it's worth asking. The headlights on my 94 C220 are pretty dim. I think they are that way by design because changing the bulbs didn't help but the fog lights for example are plenty bright. Are there any upgrades like putting in E-spec lights or maybe later model years? Looking on eBay I'm not sure the refresh ones would fit though.

Edit: To contribute to the month old discussion I also have a blue MBTex interior and it's great.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4788757699.html

How terrible of an idea is owning something like this? It seems like all the high dollar poo poo that would break wasn't optioned into the car

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Those S-Classes are pretty bullet proof other than the miles of vacuum lines. Just don't expect it to be very fast.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

rscott posted:

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4788757699.html

How terrible of an idea is owning something like this? It seems like all the high dollar poo poo that would break wasn't optioned into the car

Yeah, that will be a good car. I mean, as far as owning a 32 year old luxury car goes, that's probably about as good as it gets, reliability wise.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Those S-Classes are pretty bullet proof other than the miles of vacuum lines. Just don't expect it to be very fast.

I'm going to look at that e23 after work today too, I figured I shouldn't limit myself to just bmws if I wanted something to crush my hopes and dreams

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

rscott posted:

I'm going to look at that e23 after work today too, I figured I shouldn't limit myself to just bmws if I wanted something to crush my hopes and dreams

Id get an old S class Mercedes over the E23. Its not that the E23 is a bad car, but they are pigs on fuel with out the performance. The S-Class is still a pig, but at least it has a little better strait line performance. Plus there seems to be a bigger following for old S-class cars than BMW 7 series.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Benz is also classier.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Yeah can't think of a better car to soak up miles in then a 126. throw some sheep skin covers in that thing and it'll be like a big ol' couch.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4869181256.html

If I offer this person a thousand bucks how much will I wind up regretting my decision in the next year or so

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If I was in Oklahoma, I'd buy it before you. That's a really great car.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If I was in Oklahoma, I'd buy it before you. That's a really great car.

Awesome I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get down there, worse comes to worse I'll rent a car and drive down myself, it's only $140 or so

e: $1200 and it's mine

rscott fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 30, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Other than the ugly exterior color (which is part of the charm) you can't go wrong. There's a you tube channel with a guy who explains a ton about these cars. His voice is annoying but the info is good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah, here's one in my area that's in about the same shape and the guy is going to get what he's asking. You're getting a great deal.

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4808834369.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, I've been looking at wagons and found this locally, would I be really dumb for buying this or is it one of those Mercs that run forever that you only have to put gas in :v:

It's a '01 E320 wagon fully loaded.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/4870457288.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

Ok, I've been looking at wagons and found this locally, would I be really dumb for buying this or is it one of those Mercs that run forever that you only have to put gas in :v:

It's a '01 E320 wagon fully loaded.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/4870457288.html

W210s are a pain in the rear end, I'd go one gem before that (W124, which ran until 95 or 96).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rscott posted:

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4869181256.html

If I offer this person a thousand bucks how much will I wind up regretting my decision in the next year or so

Good choice. Can't tell too much from crappy craigslist pictures, but it looks like it was hit in the back at some point and they repainted it with a clearcoat instead of the single stage. Good news is that you can probably bring back the faded single stage part to match the shiny clearcoat. Bad news is that the rear shot shows some rust, which probably relates to the damage repair.

At that price, though, doesn't matter. Looking for a trip report.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm driving down Thursday to buy it barring some kind of insane last minute deal breaker

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rscott posted:

I'm driving down Thursday to buy it barring some kind of insane last minute deal breaker

Also, be prepared for a good bit of stuff to not work... it's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the passenger seat controls are MIA and some of the dash switches look rough, too.

Still no reason to buy it, if it runs, it'll keep running and that right there is just a nice, old-school tank.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Is everything vacuum powered like on the 240Ds? My E30 was pretty rough inside too so I'm not too worried about convenience features being broken, it'll give me something to work on if I get bored and I can't get into my buddy's garage

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Generally, yes.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Is there anything that can be done to make those 1970s and 1980s Mercedes V8s make more power besides using an LS-X? Or is it pretty much boat anchors.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is there anything that can be done to make those 1970s and 1980s Mercedes V8s make more power besides using an LS-X? Or is it pretty much boat anchors.

The 560s would move much more than you'd expect a big merc to. Anything else, though... anchor.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah my 560SL feels great. It's not fast by any means, but certainly can get out of its own way. It's pretty much the definition of big lazy V8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

W210s are a pain in the rear end, I'd go one gem before that (W124, which ran until 95 or 96).

Which models are the W124? Basically, if I'm going to get a Merc wagon which ones are the absolute best?