Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

JP the novel is okay but it has a lot of anti-science rants.

TLW the novel is terrible.

Ian Malcolm is an awful character in the book, whereas he's the best character in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hedrigall posted:

JP the novel is okay but it has a lot of anti-science rants.

From what books of his I've read, almost all of Crichton's books are "You should hate/be afraid of/refuse to support X field of science/technology."

Prey was goddamn creepy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
For a guy with the education that he had, Michael Crichton was pretty stupid and believed in a lot of dumb bullshit.

Andromeda Strain, Congo, Jurassic Park, Timeline, and Sphere are the only books of his that I like.

Eaters of the Dead made for a fun movie though

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Next was the weirdest one for me since it featured a critic of State of Fear as a baby rapist

Passage from the novel posted:

Alex Burnet was in the middle of the most difficult trial of her career, a rape case involving the sexual assault of a two-year-old boy in Malibu. The defendant, thirty-year-old Mick Crowley, was a Washington-based political columnist who was visiting his sister-in-law when he experienced an overwhelming urge to have anal sex with her young son, still in diapers.

It'd make a good-ish movie if you cut that part out, I guess.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Michael Crichton was wrong about basically all of his scientific predictions except the rapid and often reckless commercialization of genetic engineering, which is probably why Jurassic Park has endured.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Ian Malcolm is an awful character in the book, whereas he's the best character in the movie.
I'm in the process of rereading the book right now for the first time in what must be a decade and oh my god you couldn't be more correct. Ian Malcolm makes one mistake in the book - for which he is the first, fairest, and onliest to judge himself, naturally - and the sole consequence for it is that he gets an opera-length death scene lasting the entire rest of the book, with undisguised authorial preaching instead of arias and a convenient excuse for never actually having to shut up and do anything.
One of the things I'm thinking to myself as I read is that not just are most of the humans much better characters in the movie, but so are the dinosaurs - at least the ones we could call main characters. The ones trying to eat the human main characters. The T-rex in the book acts a lot like the Jurassic Park III Spinosaurus - a sort of forty-foot Jason, stalking three people for miles down the length of an entire river literally within an hour of eating a full meal because I guess it's a huge rear end in a top hat. Then it gets darted, passes out, and vanishes forever from the plot. Meanwhile, the book's raptors are still clever - they flank, they distract, they ambush - but the creepiest heights of their cleverness are more told than shown (remember the chilling, creepy moment where their grasp of doorknob technology is revealed in the book? No? Ellie and Wu inform Grant over the radio in passing and it sort of gets accepted) and since there's so many of them compared to the movie a helluvalot more end up dead, all at human hands. When one of the film's three raptors gets put out of commission, it's a significant moment. When one of the novel's thirty-two raptors gets syringe'd in the tail, who cares? The next scene'll have as many raptors as it needs anyways. They're more like a pack of feral dogs than the film's silent-teleporting, handle-turning jackasses that always look just a little like they're smiling, and they really do suffer for it.

I don't have it on hand, but the only really nice thing I remember about The Lost World novel is that it gives a really simple and sensible explanation as to why all the raptors are such explosively violent assholes: they're a bunch of intelligent, social animals that got cloned back to life and dumped in an alien environment with a bunch of physical copies of themselves. They're all traumatized and literally feral.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

That and prions which Crichton just read about and so had to dedicate a lot of words in talking about prions and how interesting they are. Also Dr. Grant is such a better character in the movie because he has an actual arc, I mean sure its the typical and cliche Spielberg grumpy 40-50 year old who hates kids, but then learns to like them, but Sam Neill makes it work because he's a great actor. Same for Jeff Goldblum who is playing his typical role, but he's so good and naturalistic that you can't help but love him. I mean who can hate Jeff Goldblum or think he's a bad actor?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
God I was so sick to death of hearing about prions by the end of that book.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cythereal posted:

From what books of his I've read, almost all of Crichton's books are "You should hate/be afraid of/refuse to support X field of science/technology."

Prey was goddamn creepy.

The only thing I remember about Prey was that it managed to catch me in an odd mental state and left me so paranoid I had to head a mile into the New Mexico wilderness to finish it where nobody could sneak up on me.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I actually really liked Prey. I understood it was bad, but it stuck me as something that, much like Jurassic Park, could have been turned into a classic movie in the hands of creative folks who actually had some idea of how to tell a story.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

exquisite tea posted:

Michael Crichton was wrong about basically all of his scientific predictions except the rapid and often reckless commercialization of genetic engineering theme parks, which is probably why Jurassic Park has endured.

Let's be honest, this is the real reason right here.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The feral raptor explanation is the reason I'm most looking forward to Chris Pratt: RaptorLord. Seeing what they can be like raised in a different environment fits the animals not monsters theme the first Jurassic Park had.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I actually really liked Prey. I understood it was bad, but it stuck me as something that, much like Jurassic Park, could have been turned into a classic movie in the hands of creative folks who actually had some idea of how to tell a story.

I read it when I was too young to realize it was a book of debatable quality. Freaked me out pretty bad as a kid.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

The feral raptor explanation is the reason I'm most looking forward to Chris Pratt: RaptorLord. Seeing what they can be like raised in a different environment fits the animals not monsters theme the first Jurassic Park had.
In a way, we sort of already got that in Jurassic Park III of all places. You leave them alone for a good while, they end up at what seems to be a fairly stable social order and they aren't nearly as outright bastardy as they are in the entire rest of the series: they have a firm motivation for chasing the humans beyond their initial 'you're in our space' reaction, and most importantly of all when they don't have a reason to kill something that appears to be (loudly) nonhostile they don't kill it. It's all very sensible and reasonable and is basically the logical extension of the 'these are very, very smart animals' thing that the first film used to make them so terrifying: if a creature is really smart, you might be able to persuade it that it has no reason to hurt you.
Come to think of it, Chris Pratt and co. here are sort of a vindication of something I was wondering when I first heard the rumors Jurassic Park IV was finally in the works: how the hell were they going to be able to return to purely antagonistic raptors now that they've shown them as smart enough to act otherwise when it's in their interest? It's really nice to see the solution was 'I guess they're too smart for that, so we won't' rather than, say, 'Lost World basically had them as zerglings let's just go back to that.'

Cythereal posted:

I read it when I was too young to realize it was a book of debatable quality. Freaked me out pretty bad as a kid.
The only major detail I recall is that eventually the nanomachines jumped inside people and made them assholes who liked nanomachines.
Building on that, I think the reason Prey never really caught on is the same reason Jurassic Park took off so well (besides, y'know, dinosaurs being more impressive than nanomachines): feel of plausibility. Jurassic Park gave the world a really thorough and reasonable-sounding way to have your modern-day dinosaurs without explicitly invoking science fantasy stuff like time machines - all the technology shown in the book and movie is very late 80s and early 90s, very real-seeming. On the surface (before you find out about stuff like how fragile DNA really is and how implausible just patching it with frog genes is), it looks like the only reason WE don't have dinosaurs running around is we don't have the right obsessive industrialist out there buying up amber right now.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 20, 2014

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

Drakyn posted:

Building on that, I think the reason Prey never really caught on is the same reason Jurassic Park took off so well (besides, y'know, dinosaurs being more impressive than nanomachines): feel of plausibility. Jurassic Park gave the world a really thorough and reasonable-sounding way to have your modern-day dinosaurs without explicitly invoking science fantasy stuff like time machines - all the technology shown in the book and movie is very late 80s and early 90s, very real-seeming. On the surface (before you find out about stuff like how fragile DNA really is and how implausible just patching it with frog genes is), it looks like the only reason WE don't have dinosaurs running around is we don't have the right obsessive industrialist out there buying up amber right now.

I get so many people making that exact argument to me when I tell them we can't just clone them. Then they get obviously agitated and annoyed when you tell them cloning and DNA don't work like in the movie. Which is followed by being told it has to, and that with all of our scientific advances it MUST be possible with the right person behind it...

SublimeDelusions fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 20, 2014

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Drakyn posted:

I'm in the process of rereading the book right now for the first time in what must be a decade and oh my god you couldn't be more correct. Ian Malcolm makes one mistake in the book - for which he is the first, fairest, and onliest to judge himself, naturally - and the sole consequence for it is that he gets an opera-length death scene lasting the entire rest of the book, with undisguised authorial preaching instead of arias and a convenient excuse for never actually having to shut up and do anything.
I haven't read the books since middle school. I totally forgot that Malcolm died in it. How did they explain him living in The Lost World?

I most vividly remember Hammond getting eaten by the compy dinos.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't read the books since middle school. I totally forgot that Malcolm died in it. How did they explain him living in The Lost World?
He got better. That was pretty much the explanation: they thought he was dead but doctors managed to save him.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Next was the weirdest one for me since it featured a critic of State of Fear as a baby rapist
You left out the best part: that the baby wasn't injured because the guy had such a tiny dick.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 20, 2014

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Masonic Youth posted:

You left out the best part: that the baby wasn't injured because the guy had such a tiny dick.
And they still charged him despite a lack of injury? What kind of sick book is this??

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

I most vividly remember Hammond getting eaten by the compy dinos.

And it's great because his grandchildren killed him essentially. They start messing with the control room and broadcast the trex calls so Hammond panics and falls down a slope.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hammond was much, much more villanous in the book too. In the movie he was basically an excited little kid thinking he'd created something unique that everyone would be amazed by as opposed to being a greedy, unscrupulous and fairly ruthless billionare who gets killed by his own creation like book Hammond was.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I thought each death in the Jurassic Park movie was handled perfectly until we see Sam Jackson's severed hand. The whole scene feels like something in a haunted house. Maybe that's intentional?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Die Laughing posted:

I thought each death in the Jurassic Park movie was handled perfectly until we see Sam Jackson's severed hand. The whole scene feels like something in a haunted house. Maybe that's intentional?

If I recall correctly, it's followed by a raptor bursting through a wall of cabling like a spring-loaded mummy out of a sarcophagus so, quite possibly?

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 21, 2014

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Stare-Out posted:

Hammond was much, much more villanous in the book too. In the movie he was basically an excited little kid thinking he'd created something unique that everyone would be amazed by as opposed to being a greedy, unscrupulous and fairly ruthless billionare who gets killed by his own creation like book Hammond was.

It sounds kind of bad on paper, but the movie version of Hammond actually does work better and is more interesting.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Cnut the Great posted:

It sounds kind of bad on paper, but the movie version of Hammond actually does work better and is more interesting.

It doesn't even sound bad on paper, TBH.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

LaughMyselfTo posted:

It doesn't even sound bad on paper, TBH.

I don't really think so, either. I was just giving lip service to the popular notion that hard-edged characters are always better than softer ones.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In the book Hammond has a tiny elephant that bites people

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

oddium posted:

TBF this is pretty good but I feel like it could've been worked in without actually using the book version of the character.

The whole Petticoat Lane scene is great.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

It works better because it isn't a cliche evil CEO you see in everything. Movie Hammond is a person who genuinely wants to make a park to entertain the world. He is basically an Andrew Carnegie style rich man who wants to bring the world of dinosaurs to the poor/working/middle classes but instead of funding paleontology expeditions to Carnegie Quarry to bring back skeletons for his museums (and then have them molded to make casts to be sent to museums worldwide), Hammond takes it to the next step and creates an island amusement park to wow the masses. I really appreciate this interpretation, because Hammond is like the kindly old rich grandpa you always wanted who would spend most of his wealth to make you happy.

McSpanky posted:

If I recall correctly, it's followed by a raptor bursting through a wall of cabling like a spring-loaded mummy out of a sarcophagus so, quite possibly?
Wasn't this after Hammond brings up how Disney Land had problems starting up and then Ian says "Yeah, but when the Pirates of the Caribbean malfunctioned it didn't eat the tourists"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

achillesforever6 posted:

It works better because it isn't a cliche evil CEO you see in everything. Movie Hammond is a person who genuinely wants to make a park to entertain the world. He is basically an Andrew Carnegie style rich man who wants to bring the world of dinosaurs to the poor/working/middle classes but instead of funding paleontology expeditions to Carnegie Quarry to bring back skeletons for his museums (and then have them molded to make casts to be sent to museums worldwide), Hammond takes it to the next step and creates an island amusement park to wow the masses. I really appreciate this interpretation, because Hammond is like the kindly old rich grandpa you always wanted who would spend most of his wealth to make you happy.

It helps that Richard Attenborough absolutely sells the hell out of the kindly grandpa role. Alluded to above but the flea circus scene where he basically admits that he's been a trickster his whole life is amazing.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

McSpanky posted:

The raptors had a fine appreciation for the works of Laurel and Hardy, it's why they propped up Mr Arnold's arm in that cubby for Elly to find.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

oddium posted:

The elephant is my favorite little tidbit from the whole book.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

oddium posted:

This needed to be in the movie. Having never read the book, I feel like I'm missing out on something truly amazing now.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

gently caress yeah :colbert:

Holy gently caress this is beyond idiotic. :ughh:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Michael Crichton was wrong about basically all of his scientific predictions except the rapid and often reckless commercialization of genetic engineering, which is probably why Jurassic Park has endured.

I've always felt that Jurassic Park unintentionally worked against its own themes. Especially in the books, it feels like what you're supposed to take away from it is "Look at our hubris! Man shouldn't play god! Science BAD!" and of course what everyone actually takes away from it is "Dinosaurs are loving awesome, let's do this in real life but not screw it up by being stupid."

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Vaall posted:

That dinosaur sure is behaving in an unrealistic way!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Crichton seems to understand this by TLW and writes Thorne to call Malcolm on all his bullshit.

There are lots of dumb things in the TLW novel, but I love how wonderfully cynical it is and it has a ton of great elements.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Vaall posted:

Ugh this photo shoot for an upcoming movie looks dumb

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'll be honest, the trailer could have been mostly a pile of triceratops poo and I wouldn't have noticed because I was blinded by the mosasaur. That thing has been at the top of my awesome dinosaur-like creatures scale ever since I was a small kid and it was used as the "oh crap get out of here" creature in the Evolator at the Albuquerque dinosaur museum..

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
This movie is going to have more CGI than the hobbit. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Bruceski posted:

I'll be honest, the trailer could have been mostly a pile of triceratops poo and I wouldn't have noticed because I was blinded by the mosasaur. That thing has been at the top of my awesome dinosaur-like creatures scale ever since I was a small kid and it was used as the "oh crap get out of here" creature in the Evolator at the Albuquerque dinosaur museum..

Aquatic reptiles are my favorites. I am hyped. If they learned the wrong lesson from Jurassic Park 3, that is, "don't kill T. Rex, it'll piss the fans off", then oh well, but otherwise I look forward to watching Mosasaurus drag a T. Rex underwater.

Vaall posted:

This movie is going to have more CGI than the hobbit. :ughh:

Which movie (or both) is this intended as an insult to? (I didn't see the Hobbit.)

• Locked thread