Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

DJPress posted:

Because the erhu is a beautiful instrument and the sepia cityscape is perfect. :unsmith:

I'll give you the first part, but seeing that cityscape now is like the cartoon version of seeing pictures of pre-9/11 New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

And that absolutely blew. The mech was the worst part of the finale and I really wish the writers figured out a better way to make Kuvira a threat than resorting to a giant robot she pulled some levers in.

Naw, the robot was pretty badass. Kuvira was just really stupid in how she used it. Kuvirabot would have been much better employed as a sniper, hanging out on the outskirts of the battle and taking out high-profile targets from a distance. Instead she sent it straight onto the front lines with minimal support where it could be easily swarmed.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Any attempt to go "hey can you actually moderate the Korra thread" gets met with "lol dumb babys don't want people telling them to grow up and stop watching cartoons."

Shut up I've been probated multiple times for posts in this thread your just a big pathetic obsessive baby.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

It really wasn't, though. The show never bridged the gap between Assami the good friend and Assami the love interest. Any outward sign of affection presented earlier than the very last minute would have gone a long way towards setting the groundwork for the gay interpretation.

I'm with Joe here...

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
The mech was stupid because no one, not even Verrick, had been shown to be capable of creating technology of that scale before. Was kind of out of nowhere for that world, even though we had smaller mechs. It was pretty out of place.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Naw, the robot was pretty badass. Kuvira was just really stupid in how she used it. Kuvirabot would have been much better employed as a sniper, hanging out on the outskirts of the battle and taking out high-profile targets from a distance. Instead she sent it straight onto the front lines with minimal support where it could be easily swarmed.
Kuvirabot would have been better if it had moved in a remotely threatening way instead of like an 80s Chewbacca action figure.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

I don't think Kuriva shooting at her fiance was out of character. She is a literal hitler, at what point did she ever give the impression her boyfriend was more important than her 'unification'?

A friend pointed out that from Kuvira's reaction you can sort of see where it is actually her recognizing that her fiance is a weakness for her and she's just getting rid of it all at once, and I choose to go with that interpretation. She's abhors/is terrified of weakness. The times when she gets knocked down in a fight, she always sort of resorts to panicked scramble (including BRICK), which is pretty good characterization. Also, ripping the mech arm off as soon as it was useless was pretty cool.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
The robot was dumb as poo poo. They ended up making it work, but it still looked dumb and was very anime, never a good thing.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Another thing that bothers me is, if you're capable of making a mech like that, why not set the cannon up in a way that lets you shoot/react quicker and more accurately? Attaching it to the arm was pretty loving awkward. What if someone just.. got behind it? Why not just make a giant cannon head that could turn in all directions or something?

The anime equivalent to Kuvira is probably Byakuya from Bleach -- was willing to kill the one person he cares about to keep law and order, and he immediately disables his owns limbs when they become a weakness in some fights. He wasn't a conqueror, but yeah, I can see a lot of similarities.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was one of the people who really hated the Godzilla poo poo in Book 2 so I have no idea why I ended up being cool with the robot.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
While everyone says that the worst episode in avatar is the great divide, the episode in avatar that actually made me roll my eyes the most has to be the day of black sun/invasion episodes--because there's all this idiotic steampunk technology that comes waaaay out of left field and is patently ridiculous, to say nothing of the fact that they are attempting an amphibious invasion with like 40 dudes. It didn't make any sense then. It just wasn't plausible even in the confines of a magic kung fu show. Same deal with the big robot thing Kuvira had. I looked at it and laughed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the steampunk technology has always been a thing in avatar, even at the start of the show. Look at the Fire Nation boats, or Azula's giant drill.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hauldren Collider posted:

The robot was awesome as poo poo. They ended up making it work, but it still looked awesome and was very anime, always a good thing.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
The mech was okay. Wasn't very well animated, cg for all the robots was a bit iffy. Season 4 was okay, season 3 was the best season by far though, just really well paced. Korra and Asami wasn't foreshadowed or set up that well, but it's the beginning of their romance so whatever it still makes sense. I wish the show and more time and skill to flesh out the characters more, more scenes like the dinner between Asami Mako and Korra, things where the characters could just talk and develop in a natural way, though that scene is not the best example since it wasn't very well written. Whatever, it is a children's show after all, and that always makes it a bit frusturating for me, but I still really enjoy the world of avatar and ATLA was a great thing to have in my childhood.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

I was one of the people who really hated the Godzilla poo poo in Book 2 so I have no idea why I ended up being cool with the robot.

The reason the robot actually turned out good and Godzilla was horrible was because there was real actual tension. In book 2 we had big glowing korra versus big glowing unalaq. We as viewers don't have any intuition as to what constitutes real danger to the character when she's a big glowing fuckoff thing. We also don't have much personal attachment to republic city, since in our heads, whatever, the creators can rebuild it. NBD. They don't show parts of republic city we care about, like the house or shop of some character we like, getting pwned, so there's no emotional connection. OTOH we have characters we have come to know and love trying to take on this unstoppable monstrosity and since they are human-sized and we've been watching them for 4 seasons we have some notion as to what will actually hurt them, which means there is real tension. Killing Hiroshi really helped with that, since now the audience is prepared for some supporting characters they like to actually buy the farm.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 23, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Somebody posted a list of good animes earlier in the thread. It included the only two animes i've ever seen, gurren lagann and dragonball z. Both were probably the stupidest loving tv series ever to be inflicted on me, so if they're up there on the list of animes that are good, it seems to me that what you have on your hands is a steaming poo poo pile.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
What the hell else was she going to do with that weapon, ride up on a train and point it at the city? The rails would've been metalbent into the stratosphere by that point, and quite frankly I don't see a tank or something working much better. Giant un-bendable bipedal robot is way cooler anyway. But nth-ing the sentiment that Kuvira just strolling on into the city with it was the dumbest possible way to use it. Her "my way or the get hosed way" attitude is the reason she got as much power as she did but it also ended up being the reason she lost.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Somebody posted a list of good animes earlier in the thread. It included the only two animes i've ever seen, gurren lagann and dragonball z. Both were probably the stupidest loving tv series ever to be inflicted on me, so if they're up there on the list of animes that are good, it seems to me that what you have on your hands is a steaming poo poo pile.

Stupid does not equal bad. That would mean the Fifth Element is bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are a large variety of anime, including some that have nothing in common with gurren lagann and dragonball z

and i mean, atla/korra is influenced by tons of anime

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Stupid does not equal bad. That would mean the Fifth Element is bad.

Haven't seen the Fifth Element. It's on my list though.

My older brother absolutely loves anime. My roommates all dig it too. I've tried to start a few series but something about the way the animation is done combined with general weirdness associated with it being a very different culture combine to make me invariably hate it. I grant you that some of it is perhaps good--but I have come to think that the style itself is such a turn-off for me that I will never enjoy any of it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

And whoever it was during that discussion who said that Fullmetal Alchemist is a good show with a world that feels kind of similar to Avatar's is right. Hauldron, go watch that.

I watched it sometime during/after season 3 of Korra, to fill the void, and it did the job really well, and I was hooked.

And then went on to watch a ton of other really good anime for the first time.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

What the hell else was she going to do with that weapon, ride up on a train and point it at the city? The rails would've been metalbent into the stratosphere by that point, and quite frankly I don't see a tank or something working much better. Giant un-bendable bipedal robot is way cooler anyway. But nth-ing the sentiment that Kuvira just strolling on into the city with it was the dumbest possible way to use it. Her "my way or the get hosed way" attitude is the reason she got as much power as she did but it also ended up being the reason she lost.

I suggested putting it on a boat, the traditional choice for large artillery pieces.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

What the hell else was she going to do with that weapon, ride up on a train and point it at the city? The rails would've been metalbent into the stratosphere by that point

What if they loaded it on the train, and then had a team of metalbenders onboard that pick up the train and fly it around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suggested putting it on a boat, the traditional choice for large artillery pieces.

That is a fantastic idea when your enemies include a number of people with the ability to literally control the water and your army is made up largely of robots and people who fight by bending the earth.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
The creators could have easily made it a non-line-of-sight weapon instead of a directed energy weapon. I think that actually would have been far more threatening, since the characters would be coming under fire from something they couldn't see, which is much scarier.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Does the Earth Empire even have a navy? Have we ever seen an Earth Empire/Kingdom ship?

Mind you, I guess building a ship is not much of a task compared to a giant unbendable mech. Haha.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That is a fantastic idea when your enemies include a number of people with the ability to literally control the water and your army is made up largely of robots and people who fight by bending the earth.

That's where the huge fuckoff cannon comes in handy. You could find a way to screenplay it so that the waterbenders couldn't just swallow it into the sea. It could sink the fire navy ships in a surprise attack. It could do all sorts of poo poo. You could have some goofy command & conquer type thing like the assault destroyer that turns into a tank when it rolls on a beach. Lots of options. You could use waterbender slaves. I don't know. It could have given an opportunity for the water tribes to ride to the rescue. All sorts of options present themselves.

The robot ended up working out. I still think it looked dumb. I enjoyed the finale a lot regardless.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Haven't seen the Fifth Element. It's on my list though.

My older brother absolutely loves anime. My roommates all dig it too. I've tried to start a few series but something about the way the animation is done combined with general weirdness associated with it being a very different culture combine to make me invariably hate it. I grant you that some of it is perhaps good--but I have come to think that the style itself is such a turn-off for me that I will never enjoy any of it.

That seems rather odd since Korra is very anime-style. I'd say the only real difference is that most anime have more monetary/time constraints, so there are cuts to animation 90% of the time (which allows for 10% to be super fluid). Movies and some tv series excluded.

Not entirely related but, if you want good animation, go watch Redline. It's plot is as substantial as a newborn baby's hair, but it looks insanely good. Plus it's free on Youtube!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

The height advantage of the mech gives it far better range and precision perks.

The creators could have easily made it a non-line-of-sight weapon instead of a directed energy weapon. I think that actually would have been far more threatening, since the characters would be coming under fire from something they couldn't see, which is much scarier.
The tech is based off of Vaatu's dubstep beams.

What even is a non-line-of-sight weapon, anyway?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

The height advantage of the mech gives it far better range and precision perks.
The tech is based off of Vaatu's dubstep beams.

What even is a non-line-of-sight weapon, anyway?

I'd guess a dubsteb catapult.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dubstep boomerang. The ultimate weapon!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It came back!

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Wasn't most of the Kuvirabot made out of platinum too? Where did they get all that?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Honestly, I'm kind of surprised Kovira didn't just make "Spirit Nukes" and drop them from planes. Seems the simplest and most effective option to me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

LemonAIDS posted:

Wasn't most of the Kuvirabot made out of platinum too? Where did they get all that?

They tore up Zaofu.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

It's really funny to me that people say this kind of stuff in the Elemental Kung Fu children's show thread that features fartbending.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LemonAIDS posted:

i think the city of metalbenders would have a lot of platinum laying around so they could make things that the average streetpunk couldnt destroy in five minutes

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Misandrist Wytch posted:

It's really funny to me that people say this kind of stuff in the Elemental Kung Fu children's show thread that features fartbending.

I'm not going to defend the fartbending, man. This show has plenty of flaws.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I'd guess a dubsteb catapult.

An artillery piece...duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Kuvira's forces also, lest we forget, ruled the entirety of the former Earth Kingdom by that point, with access to all of its riches and minerals and ores and slave labor.

• Locked thread