Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Right, I completely forgot about Zaofu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

thexerox123 posted:

And whoever it was during that discussion who said that Fullmetal Alchemist is a good show with a world that feels kind of similar to Avatar's is right. Hauldron, go watch that.

I watched it sometime during/after season 3 of Korra, to fill the void, and it did the job really well, and I was hooked.

And then went on to watch a ton of other really good anime for the first time.

I watched an episode of this. They talked for a while about how there was no magic in this universe and it was all science. Then they had a wizard duel with a chimera. I'm not immediately seeing the similarities, tbh.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MrAristocrates posted:

I was one of the people who really hated the Godzilla poo poo in Book 2 so I have no idea why I ended up being cool with the robot.

Because it's a Gay Robot.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Kuvira's weapon being a giant indirect fire weapon, an artillery piece that fires from miles away, kinda means it's a lot harder to set up any huge climactic fight with the thing in the finale. That's the real reason it's a giant humanoid robot.

I still don't like the design but it ended up working way better than I thought it would.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
It's just that whenever I watch anime, I seem to get this feeling in my head that we might not have nuked Japan enough.

I realize a lot of you guys like it but it doesn't do anything for me, that's all. I'm just too much of a provincial Southerner to be willing to accept other people's cultures. :patriot: :fsmug: :colbert:

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood I guess is sorta similar to Avatar in that it's elemental combat and a children's show, but while in fma:b the combat felt like the weakest part, in Korra that was a huge draw. However, fma:b had an excellent cast of likeable characters plus an engrossing world that felt real. For example, whenever they travelled in that show they showed the characters catching a train, little touches like that really helped make a nice world. All this made a more satisfying show then Korra, imo, even if the animation wasn't as good and there was silly anime humour, but that's something that Korra has too. I would defitenly recommend it to anyone wanting something similar to Avatar.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Scissorfighter posted:

I watched an episode of this. They talked for a while about how there was no magic in this universe and it was all science. Then they had a wizard duel with a chimera. I'm not immediately seeing the similarities, tbh.

We've had characters talk about science in the Avatar world, too. Sokka's persistent skepticism in the face of magic, or Jinora talking about radio waves to Wan Shi Tong.

Edward Elric may talk about how everything is attributable to science in that world, but that belief is challenged in very severe ways.

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood I guess is sorta similar to Avatar in that it's elemental combat and a children's show, but while in fma:b the combat felt like the weakest part, in Korra that was a huge draw. However, fma:b had an excellent cast of likeable characters plus an engrossing world that felt real. For example, whenever they travelled in that show they showed the characters catching a train, little touches like that really helped make a nice world. All this made a more satisfying show then Korra, imo, even if the animation wasn't as good and there was silly anime humour, but that's something that Korra has too. I would defitenly recommend it to anyone wanting something similar to Avatar.

I love Brotherhood, but I just hate the first 8 or 9 episodes so much. They rushed through a lot of the really good character-building stuff. I know that it was to get past the stuff that had already been done in FMA, but still. The pacing feels way off until the plots diverge.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How well did Korra do in the ratings? I know internet is a weirder thing, but there might be some numbers for season 1-3. Considering all the controversy (in regards to s1 ending getting them moved to Friday night then season 3 getting them internet only), probably not going to be a new series after this one, but I'm curious if there is any chance. Hoping against hope, as they say, or something like that.

Edit:

Scissorfighter posted:

Everything in FMA is science IF the pseudo-science of alchemy was real.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Scissorfighter posted:

Wizardry is their science.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Oh yeah and there's not any creepy anime stuff in it either, never feels fan servicey or misogynist, if that's one of the issues or preconceptions you have with anime at large.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Oh yeah and there's not any creepy anime stuff in it either, never feels fan servicey or misogynist, if that's one of the issues or preconceptions you have with anime at large.

It is incredibly Steampunk but I guess that's more because it's supposed to be around WW1 but in an alternate world and eventually our world, for the first anime .

e:

Genocyber posted:

Wizardry is their science.

I guess a better way of saying it is that it's like a Brandon Sanderson novel as an anime.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

computer parts posted:

and eventually our world, for the first anime .

That's anime filler. You got to read the manga or see Brotherhood for the truth.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Brotherhood is like the only anime I have absolutely no reservations about recommending, it's really good.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

Misandrist Wytch posted:

My main issue/preconception with anime is that (from what I've seen) it doesn't seem to put much stock in making sense. They want high concept magic and robots and outlandish, flamboyant characters but they don't put in the work to earn it. They'll break their own established laws of physics (and time and space) to make a slapstick joke. Avatar/Korra did that "humorous teleporting" poo poo a few times, but not enough really turn me off since it had so much thought put into world building to ground the rest of it. If it's strictly a comedy, I don't mind it going looney tunes, but when there's life and death stakes... not for me.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Scissorfighter posted:

My main issue/preconception with anime is that (from what I've seen) it doesn't seem to put much stock in making sense. They want high concept magic and robots and outlandish, flamboyant characters but they don't put in the work to earn it. They'll break their own established laws of physics (and time and space) to make a slapstick joke.

Well, for what it's worth, that doesn't describe Fullmetal Alchemist at all. Or a number of other really good anime that come to mind!

FMA is really quite consistent with its world and with its character development.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Scissorfighter posted:

My main issue/preconception with anime is that (from what I've seen) it doesn't seem to put much stock in making sense. They want high concept magic and robots and outlandish, flamboyant characters but they don't put in the work to earn it. They'll break their own established laws of physics (and time and space) to make a slapstick joke. Avatar/Korra did that "humorous teleporting" poo poo a few times, but not enough really turn me off since it had so much thought put into world building to ground the rest of it. If it's strictly a comedy, I don't mind it going looney tunes, but when there's life and death stakes... not for me.

I'm curious what you mean by "humorous teleporting."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

thexerox123 posted:

I love Brotherhood, but I just hate the first 8 or 9 episodes so much. They rushed through a lot of the really good character-building stuff. I know that it was to get past the stuff that had already been done in FMA, but still. The pacing feels way off until the plots diverge.
But like the last 15 episodes for the final arc are so good in the escalation for the climax

Plus such a great voice cast of people who are now only in video games and Superhero cartoons it seems.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

But like the last 15 episodes for the final arc are so good in the escalation for the climax

Plus such a great voice cast of people who are now only in video games and Superhero cartoons it seems.

Oh, definitely. That's why I still love it. And Hoenheim's actual backstory is so much better than the one in FMA.

I just wish they didn't rush through important stuff, especially Nina. It really lessens the emotional impact, I think.

I don't think I'm a typical FMA fan, though, because I actually liked Conqueror of Shamballa. Haha.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Scissorfighter posted:

I get what you mean by the slapstick stuff, it does happen to a degree in fmab but it doesn't annoy me that much. However, a ton of anime, probably the vast majority, doesn't do that kind of stuff at all, it really only seems to be a part of certain era and genre of anime.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
And yeah the last 15 episodes are insanely good. That's how you do a finale.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Misandrist Wytch posted:

I get what you mean by the slapstick stuff, it does happen to a degree in fmab but it doesn't annoy me that much. However, a ton of anime, probably the vast majority, doesn't do that kind of stuff at all, it really only seems to be a part of certain era and genre of anime.

That stuff annoyed me a little in Brotherhood, just because it was such a different style from the humor in the first anime, and I watched them back-to-back. But I think most of that stuff is also in the first 8-9 episodes.

Even that, though, probably isn't what Scissorfighter exactly has in mind re: slapstick. It's not like the slapstick of the father in Bleach, for instance.

(I have seriously watched so much anime in a short time, after not really watching any for most of my life. What have I become. Haha)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
I wonder at which point Kuvira decided to become radicalized in her goals.

Because she raises a good point - for three years Korra was gone. She has to fight tooth and nail herself to quell rebellions and to try and reunite the Earth Kingdom after the death of the Queen.

Then some spoiled little creep who seems like he's on a path to becoming no different from the Queen steps up to the plate. What's she supposed to do but go for a hostile takeover?

When Korra does come back, Kuvira decides to offer Korra a chance to stop everything. If Korra beats her in a 1 on 1 duel, she'll stand down and respect Korra's demands. What happens instead is that Korra gets smacked around effortlessly and the terms of the duel are violated outright.

How is she not supposed to see her cause as just when she beats Avatar's Jesus?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

computer parts posted:

I guess a better way of saying it is that it's like a Brandon Sanderson novel as an anime.

That's a pretty apt description, actually. Reminds me that I need to read the second Way of Kings book eventually, as well.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

Covok posted:

I'm curious what you mean by "humorous teleporting."

Like, literally instantly moving from location to location for humorous effect. In the first episode of FMA, the main character teleports to a crowd then picks people up like sticks and tosses them around because he's called short.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

thexerox123 posted:

That stuff annoyed me a little in Brotherhood, just because it was such a different style from the humor in the first anime, and I watched them back-to-back. But I think most of that stuff is also in the first 8-9 episodes.

Even that, though, probably isn't what Scissorfighter exactly has in mind re: slapstick. It's not like the slapstick of the father in Bleach, for instance.

(I have seriously watched so much anime in a short time, after not really watching any for most of my life. What have I become. Haha)

Yeah I only started watching anime 2 years ago. When I was a kid I was too embarrassed to watch it, including ATLA actually, because as far as I knew it was an anime. I would occasionally watch it while sitting right in front of the tv so I could switch the channel if anyone came by lol.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Yeah I only started watching anime 2 years ago. When I was a kid I was too embarrassed to watch it, including ATLA actually, because as far as I knew it was an anime. I would occasionally watch it while sitting right in front of the tv so I could switch the channel if anyone came by lol.

I won't lie, that sounds adorable.

Scissorfighter posted:

Like, literally instantly moving from location to location for humorous effect. In the first episode of FMA, the main character teleports to a crowd then picks people up like sticks and tosses them around because he's called short.

You mean that thing where they "fwip" back in a flurry of lines to another part of the screen?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jesto posted:

Because she raises a good point - for three years Korra was gone. She has to fight tooth and nail herself to quell rebellions and to try and reunite the Earth Kingdom after the death of the Queen.

Then some spoiled little creep who seems like he's on a path to becoming no different from the Queen steps up to the plate. What's she supposed to do but go for a hostile takeover?

When Korra does come back, Kuvira decides to offer Korra a chance to stop everything. If Korra beats her in a 1 on 1 duel, she'll stand down and respect Korra's demands. What happens instead is that Korra gets smacked around effortlessly and the terms of the duel are violated outright.

In retrospect, the literal concentration camps were a narrative mistake.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

Covok posted:

You mean that thing where they "fwip" back in a flurry of lines to another part of the screen?

Yes. Usually happens when a character gets angry or surprised.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Misandrist Wytch posted:

I don't think FMAB's animation is worse than Korra's at all. At least, Korra is not noticeably better to me. FMAB is more anime looking, but that's about the only difference

Covok
May 27, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

In retrospect, the literal concentration camps were a narrative mistake.

It was kind of weird when they brought them up out of the blue along with the "throwing all non-earth benders in it" shtick. It's why the talk between Korra and Kuvira was off to me. Like, she's anime-Hitler, Korra, she doesn't need to be reasoned and understood.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

icantfindaname posted:

I don't think FMAB's animation is worse than Korra's at all. At least, Korra is not noticeably better to me. FMAB is more anime looking, but that's about the only difference

Yeah they're not that much different I suppose, maybe I meant more the choreography and how the fights go.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hauldren Collider posted:

It's just that whenever I watch anime, I seem to get this feeling in my head that we might not have nuked Japan enough.

I realize a lot of you guys like it but it doesn't do anything for me, that's all. I'm just too much of a provincial Southerner to be willing to accept other people's cultures. :patriot: :fsmug: :colbert:

Lol, literally proud of being a retarded bigot. Some anime fans are still worse than the vocal anime haters, but you're trying your damndest to equal them

In any case Korra's same sex stuff clearly puts it in the Liberal Elite category, so you're not welcome there either, and are subject to being Sherman-ized if you step out of line

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Yeah they're not that much different I suppose, maybe I meant more the choreography and how the fights go.

FMA fights are definitely less exciting, but even then they're well choreographed. I haven't watched the original FMA, it might be worse there

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Misandrist Wytch posted:

That's my main problem with most anime in general. There's so many horrible conventions that seem to be wedded to the the medium, whether it is fanservice, or incredibly sexist characterizations or just, bleh, lots of stuff. I think the willingness to insert slapstick and weird stuff in places where it really isn't needed is also kind of an issue.

As an example, I loved GitS:SAC, I loved even the pretentious technobabble-with-pseudophilosophy, and so much of the visual presentation and the great music. And it is really devoid of most of the anime mannerisms from the human characters (I can give tachikomas a pass since they're baby-idiot-AI robots, and it is recognized in the show as an irritating quirk by other characters).

But at the same time, you have the Major just plain not wearing pants for like 80% of the show. And people have tried to convince me that 'no, it is totally part of her character,' or 'it is a commentary on cyborg bodies' or whatever. But it just isn't reflected by anything else in the show really. Nobody else does this. Almost nobody reacts to this. etc.

And for the most part, that is an incredibly restrained and sober anime. That is how the medium ends up alienating a lot of people who might otherwise be into it.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 23, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ambivalent posted:

But at the same time, you have the Major just plain not wearing pants for like 80% of the show. And people have tried to convince me that 'no, it is totally part of her character,' or 'it is a commentary on cyborg bodies' or whatever. But it just isn't reflected by anything else in the show really. Nobody else does this. Almost nobody reacts to this. etc.

To be fair, though, the same complaints can be leveled against comics and video games in the US.
Wonder Woman doesn't wear pants, either.

(It is a valid complaint, in all of those cases, though!)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Covok posted:

That's anime filler. You got to read the manga or see Brotherhood for the truth.

I am rather annoyed at Brotherhood but that's mostly because the last 13 episodes aren't on Netflix for some reason.

Even that aside though the pacing was horrid for the last few episodes, especially when they confront the bad guy and then nothing happens from it for another 20 episodes (well, nearly; E28 is "Father" and E45 is "Promised Day").

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

To be fair, though, the same complaints can be leveled against comics and video games in the US.
Wonder Woman doesn't wear pants, either.

(It is a valid complaint, in all of those cases, though!)

I mean, if you want me to talk about how comics do a great job alienate potential readers, the discussion would share a lot of similarities.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ambivalent posted:

That's my main problem with most anime in general. There's so many horrible conventions that seem to be wedded to the the medium, whether it is fanservice, or incredibly sexist characterizations or just, bleh, lots of stuff. I think the willingness to insert slapstick and weird stuff in places where it really isn't needed is also kind of an issue.

As an example, I loved GitS:SAC, I loved even the pretentious technobabble-with-pseudophilosophy, and so much of the visual presentation and the great music. And it is really devoid of most of the anime mannerisms from the human characters (I can give tachikomas a pass since they're baby-idiot-AI robots, and it is recognized in the show as an irritating quirk by other characters).

And for the most part, that is an incredibly restrained and sober anime. That is how the medium ends up alienating a lot of people who might otherwise be into it.

I mean at that point just come out and say you don't like any of it because of guilt by association, and don't particularly care about any individual show's actual transgressions. That's what 90% of the complaints about it seem to be. Which is fine, but don't act like it's anything else

As for FMA I really think the complaints about the humor are overblown by people going in insisting on finding something to hate. It's a little obnoxious, but compared to like Spongebob or something it's not bad. It's literally a show for 14 year olds. It's not going to be written like Game of Thrones

You're absolutely entitled not to like whatever, but people making stupid statements should be called out on it. If you're coming at this from a feminist perspective that video games, comics, anime, etc, are all terrible, then yes you're right, but if it's just 'anime lol' then people don't make those criticisms of non-Japanese media despite being almost as bad on the whole.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 23, 2014

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Jesto posted:

Except that Kuvira was going for the kill. Her whole deal was that she was doing this because she didn't want to leave the Earth Kingdom abandoned, which everyone else in the world seemed to have been doing, even the closest thing she had to a mother figure. Then the one person who's job it is to bring peace and order and balance to the world, who was out of commission for three entire years and still going through mental issues, steps in and just goes "yo, you kinda need to stop, this is a little too much." Kuvira didn't know she was still recovering, but at that point, she saw herself as the only one who could do some good for the Earth Kingdom, not someone who didn't spend so long trying to protect and liberate the land. It wasn't a struggle for power; it was a determination and long-fought struggle that only Kuvira had been facing all that time and then people were telling her "oh, these other people can take the reins now, good job and all that." She felt abandoned once again when faced with opposition, that these people wouldn't do a good enough job and just let the Earth Kingdom fall back into chaos.

The reeducation camps were a bit much, though. Didn't need that, really. But it's still believable to see Kuvira as someone who was going too far. Road to hell paved with good intentions and all that.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Lol, literally proud of being a retarded bigot.
Lol, you're an idiot who can't read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Welp.

:toot:

EDIT: This is old news, I am a moron.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 23, 2014

• Locked thread