Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
So I recently got the 6+ 128GB (had to order it online since no store in the entire south eastern VA area seemed to carry it, took 2 weeks), and I'm wondering what the best car holder is for this thing. I mean its nice to have a phone for my giant hands, but my old phone holder won't work with this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So I walked into the Apple store yesterday planning on getting a 6 after working with a 5 for the past two years. On my way there my friend off-handedly remarks to me that the 6 doesn't have 1080p. My whole game plan changes.

I arrived at the store and took the 6 and 6+ side by side to watch a YouTube video. The difference blew me away. Typing from my 6+ now. Just wish I weren't a poor so I could've gotten the 64 GB version as that's the price point I was going for with the 6.

My main reason for originally wanting a 6 was because I do a lot of one-handed texting. Luckily I have pretty big 6'3" guy hands so I'm still able to do so with 6+ while, for example, on my side in bed with the screen locked to portrait (and with keyboard set to trusty SwiftKey). I also talked about my incompetence with Nintype in the app thread; with the new screen real estate I have, everything is a lot easier, especially in landscape.

And best of all, it easily fits into my usual jeans pocket.

Dude. Return it now for the 64gb. 16 is gonna bite you in the rear end especially with iOS 8 taking up like a gig more space than all its predecessors.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

god drat it jedi knight luigi we all knew you should've gotten the 64gb.

Well, I guess I've got 13 days to think about it. I do hate having to janitor my phone every time I want to save a podcast.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ryand-Smith posted:

So I recently got the 6+ 128GB (had to order it online since no store in the entire south eastern VA area seemed to carry it, took 2 weeks), and I'm wondering what the best car holder is for this thing. I mean its nice to have a phone for my giant hands, but my old phone holder won't work with this thing.

ProClip.

You buy them in two parts. One that is made for your phone model. They usually have multiple models to accommodate cases, power cord/no power cord, etc... and then you buy a mounting unit that is made to work in your specific model year of vehicle. Expect to spend anywhere from $70-$100 for the whole thing. It is worth every penny.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm having a weird issue with my 5S, running 8.1.1. Something (Music.app?) is randomly deleting songs off my phone - like, an album that I listened to yesterday is entirely gone, with the songs greyed-out and the iTunes download icon on the right. It's not that big of a hassle, but both my 3G and Wifi connections are slow, so it'll take a while to re-download the songs. These are all albums purchased from the iTunes Store, too. Any suggestions?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Well, I guess I've got 13 days to think about it. I do hate having to janitor my phone every time I want to save a podcast.
If $100 is enough to make or break a deal for you then perhaps you shouldn't be buying a brand new smart phone in the first place...

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

coldplay chiptunes posted:

If $100 is enough to make or break a deal for you then perhaps you shouldn't be buying a brand new smart phone in the first place...

Eh it's more principle than anything else. Definitely think I'm gonna do it today.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Weird, awful app double-posted.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I've always hated this argument when phrased in such a manner. It's so snotty. There are plenty of things a person could want to spend $100 dollars on that they would prefer over having more space for digital packrat poo poo.

None of the other iPhone users I know ever bemoan lack of space on their 16 GB devices, and the majority of them have never even connected to desktop iTunes. It's Spotify and and 'don't play video games' all the way. Doesn't mean they're poor.

...but yeah, being someone who downloads and keeps a lot of apps, photos, podcasts, and music on my phone, I wish I'd gotten a 64. I could have afforded it, too.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I've always hated this argument when phrased in such a manner. It's so snotty. There are plenty of things a person could want to spend $100 dollars on that they would prefer over having more space for digital packrat poo poo.

None of the other iPhone users I know ever bemoan lack of space on their 16 GB devices, and the majority of them have never even connected to desktop iTunes. It's Spotify and and 'don't play video games' all the way. Doesn't mean they're poor.

...but yeah, being someone who downloads and keeps a lot of apps, photos, podcasts, and music on my phone, I wish I'd gotten a 64. I could have afforded it, too.

Well if you are that kind of person, then trade it in if you're within the two weeks. I just uploaded my entire music library to my iPhone after upgrading which is mind-blowing to me. Totally worth the upgrade in space.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ryand-Smith posted:

The Apple Store sells the Kenu Airframe which clips into your vents. It works pretty well and I like it better than my old window suction mount. Only downside in the winter is that your vent is blocked and blowing hot air on a phone is probably not a great idea. Also the plus requires their bigger model.

The ProClip always seemed nice but it's expensive and pretty bulky and not easily switchable to another car like a rental.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

What would be the best warranty to pair with an iPhone 6+ that I purchased on AT&T Next and am planning to trade in in 12 months?

My primary goal is to avoid having to spend hundreds of dollars if I somehow end up with a broken display.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Parker Lewis posted:

What would be the best warranty to pair with an iPhone 6+ that I purchased on AT&T Next and am planning to trade in in 12 months?

My primary goal is to avoid having to spend hundreds of dollars if I somehow end up with a broken display.

One thing to factor into your decision making is that Apple will replace a 6+ screen for $129, provided the phone is still otherwise in working order after you drop it.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Anyone having problems with Yahoo mail pushing? I believe it hasn't been working for about 1-2 weeks now. Deleting account and re-adding it didn't work.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Is there any way to get siri to stop all the cutesy comments when delivering results? "That's not funny" isn't working and I don't see any options for it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bummey posted:

Is there any way to get siri to stop all the cutesy comments when delivering results? "That's not funny" isn't working and I don't see any options for it.

Goddamn if this isn't the funniest post on the forums

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bummey posted:

I hope you're fakeposting as the guy from earlier in the thread.

Even if you're not lol.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

Was there some way to get Siri to stop being cutesy? My latest one was after sending a text, it said "And off to the cloud it goes..."

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

My 5C was stolen in August. When I got on find my iPhone and saw that it had been whisked away to another town, I immediately put it in lost mode. I think it must have activated on my phone, because when I (stupidly) tried playing a sound afterwards it was immediately switched off.

(Cops wouldn't help me and the residents of the house I tracked it to were definitely armed and sporting neck/teardrop tattoos so welp.)

Earlier today while I'm at work, my house number (which I think I set as the 'please call this number' contact info in FMiP) gets a call from a guy who has a brief conversation with my mom. It was a "Russian-sounding" guy calling from a Mexican number, who said something to the effect of 'did you lose your phone? It's got this number on it so I'm calling it."

I don't know if it was the original thief, although I think it was probably someone who bought it from someone else. My mom didn't give the clearest account of what this guy said. There was apparently some failure to communicate. I don't really care about getting the phone back anymore, but I'm not 100% sure that my home number was the one I left as the callback contact for lost mode.

TLDR: Does lost mode really keep your device 100% locked down against a) people getting past the lock screen and accessing your data, and b) putting in their own SIM card and, booting into DFU mode or something and wiping the device, making it ready to use again?

I certainly don't want anyone trying to steal my identity, but I also don't want any other fuckers using my stolen phone at all in any way. I'm kind of an rear end in a top hat like that when it comes to people stealing my expensive consumer electronics.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 23, 2014

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Once you lock the phone, it's locked. It can be sold for parts, but it's not working as a phone.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I believe that lost mode works in a way that it totally locks down the phone unless you have the password of the iCloud account attached to it. I don't even think a factory restore will fix it, it will still ask for the password before it activates.

I'm pretty sure this was an iOS7 thing which means that your phone would have had it, but I could possibly be wrong I'm not sure.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh drat I didn't even know that. I thought you could just do power/home button

Say someone steals it and immediately turns it off or restores it before you can activate it what happens? Will it go into effect once they connect to the Internet?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Christoff posted:

Oh drat I didn't even know that. I thought you could just do power/home button

Say someone steals it and immediately turns it off or restores it before you can activate it what happens? Will it go into effect once they connect to the Internet?
If they restore or turn off Find My iPhone before you can activate Lost Mode then I believe you're SOL.

If they simply turn the phone off and you activate Lost Mode then it'll kick in and lock the phone down as soon as it boots up the next time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If they restore or turn off Find My iPhone
You can't do either of these without the iCloud password.

This is why all iPhone or iPad trade-in programs require Find My iPhone to be turned off before turning it in.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If they simply turn the phone off and you activate Lost Mode then it'll kick in and lock the phone down as soon as it boots up the next time.

This is a just a hypothetical question, but would it be possible for someone to boot the phone and switch it to airplane mode before it connects to a network, thereby bypassing lock mode as long as the phone stays offline?

wrt my situation, I've always taken it as conventional wisdom that lost mode turns the handset into a paperweight/flashlight; irreversibly so unless FMiP is turned off remotely. But still, I can't help but imagine Russian hackers in Mexico getting past it, and getting into my phone.

I think I'll go try to find some news articles about law enforcement agencies' success (or lack thereof) in gathering evidence from iPhones in lost mode. Just to see if it's at all possible. I hope it isn't, and the agencies have to go to subpoena Apple themselves to gain access.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Goddamn if this isn't the funniest post on the forums

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I hope you're fakeposting as the guy from earlier in the thread.

Even if you're not lol.

Nope! I'm actually that stupid.

I don't like hearing it. I don't know what else to say.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't mind Siri saying dumb cutesy things back to you if you ask it something silly in the first place (ie. will you marry me, etc.) but it gets a bit old when you're trying to be matter of fact. I asked it something, I want to know if it parsed the request correctly and did what I want, not to hear a joke for the 100th time.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

This is a just a hypothetical question, but would it be possible for someone to boot the phone and switch it to airplane mode before it connects to a network, thereby bypassing lock mode as long as the phone stays offline?

wrt my situation, I've always taken it as conventional wisdom that lost mode turns the handset into a paperweight/flashlight; irreversibly so unless FMiP is turned off remotely. But still, I can't help but imagine Russian hackers in Mexico getting past it, and getting into my phone.

I think I'll go try to find some news articles about law enforcement agencies' success (or lack thereof) in gathering evidence from iPhones in lost mode. Just to see if it's at all possible. I hope it isn't, and the agencies have to go to subpoena Apple themselves to gain access.

When you enable Find My iPhone, you cannot re-activate the phone, change the iCloud account, or otherwise de-associate the phone from the original owner. Even if you don't set a passcode lock, the thief can't turn off Find My iPhone without the original owner's iCloud account password.

The thief wouldn't need to enable airplane mode, they could just pop the SIM card and keep the phone away from any associated wireless networks.

Assuming no passcode, they could have a fully functional phone associated to your iCloud account that could be bricked at any time should you activate Lost Mode. If the phone has no passcode, they could get anything on the phone that isn't otherwise locked down. If they kept it off the grid forever, I suppose they could keep using it, but what's the point? An iPhone that is disconnected from the internet won't be of much use for very long. And if its accidentally connected, it'll get bricked by Lost Mode.

The lesson is: turn on Find My iPhone and set a passcode/use Touch ID.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:ughh: the screen on my brand new 6 got annihilated tonight. Is there a chance in hell I can sweet talk apple into repairing/replacing it without a charge or with some sort of dicount? The thing is barely a couple of weeks old. Alternately, what do they charge for a replacement these days? This blows.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

NESguerilla posted:

:ughh: the screen on my brand new 6 got annihilated tonight. Is there a chance in hell I can sweet talk apple into repairing/replacing it without a charge or with some sort of dicount? The thing is barely a couple of weeks old. Alternately, what do they charge for a replacement these days? This blows.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

Unfortunately screen breaks fall under the "accidental damage" category every single time, so you'll get charged something for it. It's not too bad if you have AppleCare.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So I just moved onto a new computer but don't really have a clean backup of my music library - my iphone probably has the most clean/complete version of it, is there a way I can copy the whole drat thing to my computer? Like a reverse sync?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

RhoA posted:

Unfortunately screen breaks fall under the "accidental damage" category every single time, so you'll get charged something for it. It's not too bad if you have AppleCare.

30$ off isn't that great a discount off 109$

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat that sucks but I figured as much. Some article I just read said it was covered under free apple care for 3 months (don't know if that's true) but I guess that's only a difference of $30 anyways. $109 sucks but I guess it could be worse.

7 years of unscathed iPhones and the first one I've really loved gets smashed by my dumb rear end in less than a month :sigh:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

~Coxy posted:

I don't mind Siri saying dumb cutesy things back to you if you ask it something silly in the first place (ie. will you marry me, etc.) but it gets a bit old when you're trying to be matter of fact. I asked it something, I want to know if it parsed the request correctly and did what I want, not to hear a joke for the 100th time.

Right. Siri isn't an AI from the movie Her, it's barely more than a text parser and voice synthesizer. The halting robotic speech combined with what's supposed to be off the cuff jokes and casual remarks is just offputting to hear. It sounds wrong and is tedious and irritating, especially after the 100th time like you said.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

goodness posted:

30$ off isn't that great a discount off 109$

That's true, but considering that they don't cover accidental damage under AppleCare anyway, I'll take the discount.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On iPhones and iPads you pay a deductible for accidental damage.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

fleshweasel posted:

On iPhones and iPads you pay a deductible for accidental damage.

Yeah, a 30$ deductible off 110$ is pretty Eh. How much does Apple care cost anyways? Seems like I'd you drop it more than once it's not even worth it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oxyclean posted:

So I just moved onto a new computer but don't really have a clean backup of my music library - my iphone probably has the most clean/complete version of it, is there a way I can copy the whole drat thing to my computer? Like a reverse sync?

There's probably a million paid option. I remember sharepod was a hidden gem that worked great but looks like it costs $20

https://www.getsharepod.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

drat that sucks but I figured as much. Some article I just read said it was covered under free apple care for 3 months (don't know if that's true) but I guess that's only a difference of $30 anyways. $109 sucks but I guess it could be worse.

7 years of unscathed iPhones and the first one I've really loved gets smashed by my dumb rear end in less than a month :sigh:

I dropped mine the day after i got it. The screen was all smashed up. I was lucky that it was so soon after the phone came out. They didn't have the machine to replace the screen so I paid the screen replacement fee though I got a new iPhone. I think they said it would cost about 500 to replace it if they had the machine at the store.