Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKq2sIIsSdY

People actually think we're chinese/jamaican, it's pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

g0t_hats posted:

it's pretty funny.

It's actually not, and neither are you. Sorry you had to find out this way.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

kirbysuperstar posted:

No,you're not funny, retard

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
CSGO is all about expensive item skins now. this guy registered on a cheater forum that had a real-money trading section. people trust this section because it costs like $100 to have an account (which he chargebacked and won after this vid). big grief. vid of it is below but not that interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMVmohvyLQE

kirbysuperstar posted:

he's almost as not funny as anime, which I take seriously, and furthermore

Daman fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 23, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Paying 100 dollars for an aimbot is griefing yourself.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm going to have to disagree, people get really mad when two guys speaking chinese ruin the game. That's hilarious.

Cojawfee posted:

Paying 100 dollars for an aimbot is griefing yourself.

Lmfao people actually do that? holy poo poo.

g0t_hats fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 23, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

g0t_hats posted:

I'm going to have to disagree, people get really mad when two guys speaking chinese ruin the game. That's hilarious.

Lmfao people actually do that? holy poo poo.
Some exploits in Lineage 2 did cost 10k euro in their time, and people bought them. A few persons, but still.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I like this. It's like the Ugly and Awkward thread in PYF which is filled with unfathomably broken human beings.

It reminds me that, no matter how sad I may become, I'll never be "spends $10k to cheat at video games" sad.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Consider that this week Star Citizen put out 15 packages of space ships for $15,000 dollars each, and they sold every single one in about a day. These are ships that don't even exist yet, for a game that you can't even play, and if the game ever does come out then the ships are gone forever once they're blown up.

Chris Roberts has been perpetually griefing a huge fanbase by selling spaceships for a video game that isn't out yet, and he's managed to make millions of dollars doing it. And they loving love it.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Consider that this week Star Citizen put out 15 packages of space ships for $15,000 dollars each, and they sold every single one in about a day. These are ships that don't even exist yet, for a game that you can't even play, and if the game ever does come out then the ships are gone forever once they're blown up.

Chris Roberts has been perpetually griefing a huge fanbase by selling spaceships for a video game that isn't out yet, and he's managed to make millions of dollars doing it. And they loving love it.

Didn't the SC thread get nuked?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

g0t_hats posted:

Didn't the SC thread get nuked?

You mean this one? It's still active.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

FutonForensic posted:

You mean this one? It's still active.

I think there was another one that was like 900 pages.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

g0t_hats posted:

I think there was another one that was like 900 pages.

probably just got too big so they made another one.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

probably just got too big so they made another one.

Hint hint.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

There is a goon who has spend $12k on preorder.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

These are ships that don't even exist yet, for a game that you can't even play, and if the game ever does come out then the ships are gone forever once they're blown up.

I thought the ships you pay real money for had permanent insurance or something and would respawn?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Yep, and will be easy to gain in game either way, also they gotta exist first.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Machai posted:

I thought the ships you pay real money for had permanent insurance or something and would respawn?
Not all, only those bought before some date last year. Maybe all, but there are some differences, but I don't know much since when poo poo got real I sold my ship for 150% of original price and was done with it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

kalstrams posted:

Not all, only those bought before some date last year. Maybe all, but there are some differences, but I don't know much since when poo poo got real I sold my ship for 150% of original price and was done with it.

You didn't sell a ship, you sold the promise of a fake internet shiny in a game that's never going to be finished. Given that you made a mad profit from it and got some dumb nerd to pay through the nose for basically nothing you griefed whoever bought it, which makes you pretty cool.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kalstrams posted:

There is a goon who has spend $12k on preorder.

There are a lot of goons who have done something similar, there was a spreadsheet floating around tracking Goon Star Citizen purchases. Pretty sure it was in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, and that's just the stuff that people had admitted to purchasing

Machai posted:

That was true a long time ago, but not anymore. The $15k packages that they recently sold are just a big trash bag full of IOUs for spaceships, many of which haven't even been created yet. If the game does come out, and the ships wind up existing some day, they're gone forever as soon as they explode, and the former owners will have to replace them.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 25, 2014

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

If the game does come out, and the ships wind up existing some day, they're gone forever as soon as they explode, and the former owners will have to replace them.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA what kind of a sucker pays for that poo poo? Will there be safe zones like in EVE where you can be pretty sure you wont ever die or what?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

There are a lot of goons who have done something similar, there was a spreadsheet floating around tracking Goon Star Citizen purchases. Pretty sure it was in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, and that's just the stuff that people had admitted to purchasing.
I know, I refer to top entry int that very table.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Machai posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA what kind of a sucker pays for that poo poo? Will there be safe zones like in EVE where you can be pretty sure you wont ever die or what?

Probably not. They've said the MMO aspect of the game will be pretty loving intense, which means "lots of angry butthurt spergs and self-replicating fuel for this thread".

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

Probably not. They've said the MMO aspect of the game will be pretty loving intense, which means "lots of angry butthurt spergs and self-replicating fuel for this thread".

I now actually hope this game comes out.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Wait huh, people kept talking about this game like it was in perpetual beta, and you can't even play it? Why would anyone still care? I read the SC thread and oh jeez I'm surpised the OP didn't just change the title to "Money Black Hole."

There's plenty of other games that do what SC does, Eve and Mindcraft and Terraria do those things and exist. Sorry if I come across as bitter, just how?

Annointed fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 25, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

If the game does come out, and the ships wind up existing some day, they're gone forever as soon as they explode, and the former owners will have to replace them.

Ahahaha what the gently caress. What are they going to do about bugs? Just pray they never destroy people's 15k money sinks and run if it ever happens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJZbPI5nKE
(skip to 22 seconds) there's your 15k gone

I have no idea how they're going to even try to get away with this in the end because most scams have to escape once people stop paying for them but people don't stop throwing money at this piece of poo poo.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
well most likely if the loss of a ship is the result of a bug, it will be reimbursed

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Some 11 dollar an hour customer service rep is going to tell them sorry but the ship was lost legitimately and can't be replaced. Thanks for playing!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
There's no way id spend $15,000 on anything related to a computer, but I sure will be paying $15 for a month's gameplay when (if :v:) that game comes out, purely so that I can be part of the swarm of angry bees that camp wherever those fuckships spawn from and blow them to smithereens the second that becomes possible.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If people are willing to fork over $15k for your product (even if that product is internet spaceship pixels or say, TF2 skins) are you as a business going to say "Thanks for the giant wad of cash but I'd rather just charge you far less because I hate money?". Because it sounds like some of you would actually do that.

Don't go into business yeah?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
The most hilariously evil thing that the developers could do would be to require cash shop items that cost upwards of $100 to repair destroyed ships.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

The most hilariously evil thing that the developers could do would be to require cash shop items that cost upwards of $100 to repair destroyed ships.

just re-sell the ships for the full 15k price tag

isnt the cheapest ship like $80?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sorry to burst your bubble I guess. Most of those ships have lifetime insurance. You can never lose the basic ship, you just lose the upgrades if you don't purchase higher insurance. If its any consolation, every ship will eventually be possible to acquire for free in game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble I guess. Most of those ships have lifetime insurance. You can never lose the basic ship, you just lose the upgrades if you don't purchase higher insurance. If its any consolation, every ship will eventually be possible to acquire for free in game.

The people who pumped thousands into a video game are still stupid regardless of whether they get lifetime insurance, so it's kind of a moot point. Also, that lifetime poo poo ended a year and a half ago. The people who paid $15k a week ago will all still have to pay for insurance monthly, like you would in EVE

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

The people who pumped thousands into a video game are still stupid regardless of whether they get lifetime insurance, so it's kind of a moot point. Also, that lifetime poo poo ended a year and a half ago. The people who paid $15k a week ago will all still have to pay for insurance monthly, like you would in EVE

Nope, just for the regular people.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Combos/Battle-Pack-Digital

Anyone who spends more than a grand gets lifetime insurance on whatever is in their package. I'm not saying its a good decision to buy that (or the $15k one) though.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
This thing sounds like it will be a more expensive EVE clone.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Daman posted:

CSGO is all about expensive item skins now. this guy registered on a cheater forum that had a real-money trading section. people trust this section because it costs like $100 to have an account (which he chargebacked and won after this vid). big grief. vid of it is below but not that interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMVmohvyLQE

he's almost as not funny as anime, which I take seriously, and furthermore

you're right, chie was always poo poo, naoto is where it's at

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Nope, just for the regular people.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Combos/Battle-Pack-Digital

Anyone who spends more than a grand gets lifetime insurance on whatever is in their package. I'm not saying its a good decision to buy that (or the $15k one) though.

Holy gently caress, that's brilliant. Chris Roberts is an evil genius

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

you're right, chie was always poo poo, naoto is where it's at

gently caress you koromaru is the best persona character, he's a dog with a loving knife and he summons motherfucking cerberus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

QuarkJets posted:

Holy gently caress, that's brilliant. Chris Roberts is an evil genius

I cannot believe that he's kept the gravy train rolling this long. Is there even any substance to the game yet? A friend mine said that he could dogfight, but that it was pretty lovely.

• Locked thread