Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Here's the solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

BlazeEmblem posted:

So I managed to :airquote:solve:airquote: the 4th floor puzzle in the evil spirit club, but now Elizabeth gave me a request where the hint is 3 3 2 4 2 x. What rooms do I go to to solve this one?

The hint is that you need to look at how many doors each room has. Also the X is in the room with the p-spot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The same ones.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Len posted:

I want to fuse a new persona for MC Hammer but I really want to keep Lunar Blessing. Why can't I give that to something else? :(

Lunar blessing's Kaguya's unique skill and can't be passed on through fusion.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Ahaaha the P3 characters show up to MASS DESTRUCTION to 'save me' and none of them have multi hit spells. Yukiko was wiping out sets of Card Soldiers in one Maragi. loving SEES learn to pull your own weight.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ahaaha the P3 characters show up to MASS DESTRUCTION to 'save me' and none of them have multi hit spells. Yukiko was wiping out sets of Card Soldiers in one Maragi. loving SEES learn to pull your own weight.

of the playable persona users, only Yukiko and Teddie naturally learn multi-hit elemental magic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The other squad don't have sub personas to start with either so naturally they're worse than your regulars by quite a lot.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's also not that hard to get a few subpersonas with ma-spells by then, so it makes the "we can't go on..." fall flat when you've barely spent any SP on the fight.

They should have made it a proper unwinnable battle if they were going to go the "we need more people to help!" route. :colbert:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The other squad don't have sub personas to start with either so naturally they're worse than your regulars by quite a lot.
And when they first appear their level and skills are pegged to presets. So even if you're playing a new game+ and you switched sides, they'll show up as scrubs instead of the level 70+ hardasses with evolved personae that they'll become as soon as the fight's over.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. Zen and Rei are kinda bad.

Their damage gets pretty quickly outpaced even if you ignore Myraid Arrows spam. Perhaps more importantly they lack the flexibility of literally every other character. They can't be readily customized and they can't equip Persona and there are a ton of really obvious gaps in their movesets. They lack any meaningful debuff besides Curse which is a real serious issue in a game where debuffs are so powerful. Their healing spells are also pretty inferior. Being able to remove debuffs from only a single row sucks compared to the hit-all recovery spells you get really early on. Even the fact that they get good magic doesn't really matter because it takes them until level 63 to hit their full stride at which point characters have upgraded Personas and high-level spells just as a matter of fact.

If we ever do get a Persona Q 2 and there is another character like Zen and Rei I would like it if they just went whole hog and made them into an Etrian Odyssey character, and give us some skill trees to play around with and min max.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Do you get any additional scenes for NG+, or is it just the bonus boss?

Been thinking of starting a NG+, but I can't decide whether to import everything and destroy the game or restart on Risky and kill my way to the top.

Regarding the ending, was anyone surprised that they didn't make Rei the girl whose personality Labrys was based on? That would have been a neat way to wrap up the "what was the point of my life" thing. Your spirit will go on and such.

My headcanon!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The don't meet Labrys for like a year after PQ takes place in the P4 timeline, so bringing her up wouldn't make sense. They don't know her yet. Not saying it's true but there's nothing to say it isn't, either.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Just finished the game. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Thought the labyrinths were cool and pretty well thought out. The combat, not so well thought out, though I thought the boost idea was interesting. The game was very cute, definitely made me laugh, and Teddie can gently caress right off. I'd play another one, though I guess Digital Devil Saga Q might be too much to ask.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

KingEffingFrost posted:

Just finished the game. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Thought the labyrinths were cool and pretty well thought out. The combat, not so well thought out, though I thought the boost idea was interesting. The game was very cute, definitely made me laugh, and Teddie can gently caress right off. I'd play another one, though I guess Digital Devil Saga Q might be too much to ask.
> You went for a stroll...
"I do not comprehend."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Man, the cook a hot pot for Yosuke quest really drives home how much Atlus overused the "haha, girl can't cook!" cliche, since there are four girls it applies to. I get that anime poo poo loves that 'joke' for some reason, but goddamn.

KingEffingFrost posted:

Teddie can gently caress right off
Teddie is probably the character who suffered the most from the "distill the characters into a handful of mostly-comedic traits" approach since he was 90% comic relief in the first place. His rivalry with Koro is cute, but the rest of his dialogue is just him creeping on the girls.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Haifisch posted:

Man, the cook a hot pot for Yosuke quest really drives home how much Atlus overused the "haha, girl can't cook!" cliche, since there are four girls it applies to. I get that anime poo poo loves that 'joke' for some reason, but goddamn.

The way I see it, the usage in P4 was supposed to be a parody of the joke, by making it so no one could cook. The fact that it's now four particular people in Q sort of undermines that though. I mean, not that it was great in the first place or anything, but it makes it worse.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 23, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
the game is not done milking that trope, i'll just tell you right now.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Clarste posted:

The way I see it, the usage in P4 was supposed to be a parody of the joke, by making it so no one could cook. The fact that it's now four particular people in Q sort of undermines that though. I mean, not that it was great in the first place or anything, but it make it worse.

They were also terrible in different ways too. Rise tried to make everything taste like a Habanero-man was making GBS threads jalapenos into your mouth, Chie was the kind that never follows the goddamn directions and tries to adlib everything, and Yukiko was actually insane.

It was amusing in P4 since it only got deployed twice, but the fact that they've brought it up in every game since is annoying. Make some new jokes :argh:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
First FoE dead at level 8 :w00t:

Thanks Kanji for being so stupidly powerful. Also pulinpa.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Vengarr posted:

It was amusing in P4 since it only got deployed twice, but the fact that they've brought it up in every game since is annoying. Make some new jokes :argh:

In Q, whenever Yosuke gets poisoned he says something like: "at least it's better than... Mystery Food X..." So you can have your dead horse joke beaten even in random battles!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well if it helps, Shinjiro is a great cook!

...Too bad he'll never make anything again.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

HGH posted:

Well if it helps, Shinjiro is a great cook!

...Too bad he'll never make anything again.

So is P4MC.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Actually Rise is a good cook, she just likes really spicy food. If she could dial that back she'd be the second female character in P3/P4 who can cook competently. (The other being Naoto.)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So how does the difficulty of this stack up against Etrian Odyssey 3 or 4 or Persona 3 or 4? Because I beat the latter two fine but never made it very far in the first two.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cdyoung posted:

Actually Rise is a good cook, she just likes really spicy food. If she could dial that back she'd be the second female character in P3/P4 who can cook competently. (The other being Naoto.)

Marie can cook!

Nanako is also decent at cooking when she's not taking tips from the girls.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Lotish posted:

So how does the difficulty of this stack up against Etrian Odyssey 3 or 4 or Persona 3 or 4? Because I beat the latter two fine but never made it very far in the first two.

Even on the hardest difficulty, it's really easy compared to EO4.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

While I like that they have the 5 difficulty options, it should really just be a binary switch of whether or not Naoto is recruitable :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

While I like that they have the 5 difficulty options, it should really just be a binary switch of whether or not Naoto is recruitable :v:

They could increase the difficulty by just giving enemies immunity vs certain ailments.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm still not sure I get the complaints that she makes the game too easy. Just not put her in your party. It's really that simple.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

The only reason people say that Naoto in particular makes the game easy is because with one skill card you are able to end 99% of all random encounters on turn one, before the enemy gets to attack. Also, by your logic, should we not put Yosuke or Mitsuru in our party either, because Tentarafoo breaks the game almost as much as Impure Reach + Hama/Mudo.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Agility bind+Myriad Arrows is also pretty OP. You can vaporize anything that doesn't resist pierce with enough Myriad Arrows.

Breaking the game is just really easy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I like it. I like that almost every character has some route to completely trivializing boss encounters and/or random nothing fights. It lets you use your favorite characters without worrying about it (which is kinda the point of this sort of game) and allows you, even beyond the difficulty switches, to dial in your gameplay experience moment to moment.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
yeah there are several ways to break the game over your knee, no naoto required. i brought the final boss from full health to near death in one round of links after setting up power charge and dragon cry. didn't even have anyone with heroic gemini or death chaser.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ZeButler posted:

The only reason people say that Naoto in particular makes the game easy is because with one skill card you are able to end 99% of all random encounters on turn one, before the enemy gets to attack. Also, by your logic, should we not put Yosuke or Mitsuru in our party either, because Tentarafoo breaks the game almost as much as Impure Reach + Hama/Mudo.

Yes? If you don't like X because X makes the game too easy don't use X. It isn't like the game forces you to use it. You are making the active decision to use those strategies it makes no sense to bitch.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ZeButler posted:

Panic breaks bosses, instant death breaks random encounters (and one boss). You could also give those two a persona with Hama/Mudo, though they wouldn't be as good at it. P3MC is just behind Naoto is magic/agility/luck for pretty much the entire game as well and is just about as good as her at that stuff. It's more that Naoto is already built for it and you aren't splitting your focus by giving her the relevant skill cards.

Imagine if you could get Die for Me! and Samsara on a single persona. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Yes? If you don't like X because X makes the game too easy don't use X. It isn't like the game forces you to use it. You are making the active decision to use those strategies it makes no sense to bitch.

Okay.

If I don't like Naoto, it is still fairly trivial to get Hama and Mudo on multiple characters. I had no fewer than three characters who could cast various levels of the spell, including Alice and Daisoujou's high-tier one.

If Hama and Mudo are out of bounds there is still Tentarafoo and Panic Circle. If those are also out of bounds there's still Lullaby Song (which is still extremely powerful if not Panic Circle power.). If that is also out of bounds then there's still the various Binds...

Like, come on, beyond a certain point "this trivializes everything in the game, don't use it" becomes a legitimate game flaw.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

Okay.

If I don't like Naoto, it is still fairly trivial to get Hama and Mudo on multiple characters. I had no fewer than three characters who could cast various levels of the spell, including Alice and Daisoujou's high-tier one.

If Hama and Mudo are out of bounds there is still Tentarafoo and Panic Circle. If those are also out of bounds there's still Lullaby Song (which is still extremely powerful if not Panic Circle power.). If that is also out of bounds then there's still the various Binds...

Like, come on, beyond a certain point "this trivializes everything in the game, don't use it" becomes a legitimate game flaw.

Those are valid points so maybe they intended it to be easier and more accessible than an EO game? Maybe the debs went "hey the EO games are harder than anyone who played P3 or 4 would expect. Let's make a game like them only easier and more fun."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Those are valid points so maybe they intended it to be easier and more accessible than an EO game? Maybe the debs went "hey the EO games are harder than anyone who played P3 or 4 would expect. Let's make a game like them only easier and more fun."

The game has four difficulty modes, including one specifically called Risky and one specifically called Easy. There isn't a particular excuse for that. Also PQ is easier than any given Persona game as well. This isn't 'easier than EO, but harder than Persona." If the game had enemy strengths and resistances like a Persona game than these issues would exist less. I can't think of anything that repels elements or attacks and very very few things have defenses better than Resist (element) outside of bosses.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 23, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Who gives a poo poo, if you like beating your head into a wall that's fine, limit yourself and make the game harder for you, I'm an old fart and don't have time for that poo poo so I'm happy to cheese my way to the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Who gives a poo poo, if you like beating your head into a wall that's fine, limit yourself and make the game harder for you, I'm an old fart and don't have time for that poo poo so I'm happy to cheese my way to the credits.

Limiting yourself is fine if involves not using one or two broken strategies. Limiting yourself in Persona Q involves not using a wide variety of the game's abilities, to the point combat would be nothing but casting damage spells and healing, which is exceedingly limited.

Like I said, if it were as easy as a Persona game that'd be fine. Persona games don't allow you to perma-lock every enemy in the game from attacking with low-level spells. They get pretty broken (Hama/Mudo and Myriad Arrow have their counterparts in Persona mainline for certain) but even there they have limiting factors unless you're high level or willing to abuse mechanics. The sub-persona mechanic and lack of resistances means you don't even have to think about it before you cast Mahama.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 23, 2014

• Locked thread