Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
With this thread closing soon, is there any other place on the internet where people can talk about Korra without it degenerating into idiocy about Makorra or how cool Asian people are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

demota posted:

With this thread closing soon, is there any other place on the internet where people can talk about Korra without it degenerating into idiocy about Makorra or how cool Asian people are?

How do you know the thread is closing soon?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

After New Year's, Deadpool is going to lock this thread permanently.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
This is funny in hindsight: LoK discovers shipping (by Booter-Freak). Season 2. Season 3.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I'm a newcomer to the thread so I didn't see that.

demota posted:

I think you might get stuck mostly just chatting with friends about the series mostly. Any dedicated place is likely to have the above.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

demota posted:

The subreddit r/thelastairbender isn't terrible. It's a bit circlejerky and rehashes a lot of old jokes (oh yay foaming at the mouth guy again), but I've had some decent discussions on there. At least you don't get the truly horrible posts that you see in this thread sometimes or at least they get downvoted.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

ATP_Power posted:

I saw it as an extension of her attitude to everything, "agree with me or get out of the way." She never was shown to have a major ideological goal beyond imposing her version of order on everything. "Causing trouble/getting in my way? Off to the camps!"

There's also a whole lot of 20th century China there, in the sense of having been stomped on and occupied by foreigners for over a century, now plagued by unrest and conflict. In a world where ethnicity manifests not only as appearance and culture but literal elemental manifestations of their foreignness, it's easy to see someone thinking to free their country from foreign influence rounding up the foreign benders first.

And let's be honest, over 70% of waterbenders are assholes:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

demota posted:

Seek out /co/, the Post Eater.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Part of me just wants to recommend we setup a heavily moderated off-site discussion group, but judging by this thread it would be a pretty huge task to moderate without it turning into a huge shitfest. Sometimes I read this thread and it's filled with interesting analyses and discussion, but many other times it's turned into some weird anime argument I can't follow, someone's posted something really really gross, or people are arguing with one of the resident posters who seem to only come out to antagonize everyone else. Hence why I've mostly backed off from discussion the past few weeks and have just been posting fan art and stuff.

Which is unfortunate because I would really love to have mature, informed discussions about the show. I'm so obsessed that I started writing critical essays about each episode of Legend of Korra only to realize that I had written 5,000+ words about the first ten minutes of B1E1 which was just insane.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

You care a bit too much about this show in my opinion.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

You care a bit too much about this show in my opinion.

It wasn't even that good in the end

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I Really like the shows concept and a few of the characters but yeah, I agree that it could have been way better. Still one of my favourite cartoons and the finale was really good.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah, yeah I know there was a lot of wasted potential and uneven pacing and the first two seasons are mere shadows of what the first series achieved, but I absolutely adore Korra as a character and the show's treatment of depression was amazing (thus explaining my avatar). Seriously, I can't really think of a more accurate depiction of depression in any show I've ever watched.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Watch Eva

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

demota posted:

Tumblr.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

Watch Eva

Eva is what you get when you try to write people coming out of depression and literally can't do it because you yourself are horribly depressed

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

HoneyBoy posted:

Watch Eva

I just started watching it yesterday, watched up to Ep 9, so far. I'm going to have this theme song stuck in my head for awhile, aren't I?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Eva did a pretty good job of getting me to dislike and ostracize victims of depression and cemented my desire to have as little to do with them as humanly possible.

(theme song is hella rad though, yeah)

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Eva is what you get when you try to write people coming out of depression and literally can't do it because you yourself are horribly depressed

I mean that is literally what happened as the writer did suffer from depression. You can see in his later works that he does accomplish stories like that perhaps saying that he has gotten better at dealing with his own depression. (Hopefully, as I hope he, as I hope for most people, are healthy and well).

The thing that disappoints me the most about this series is that, after ATLA, it was set to be a franchise, but I got a feeling this was the death of that franchise. At least on TV.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

thexerox123 posted:

I just started watching it yesterday, watched up to Ep 9, so far. I'm going to have this theme song stuck in my head for awhile, aren't I?

The theme is the only part of the show I have no problems with (other than creating unfulfilled expectations of fun, good-time adventure-y stuff and then giving us...EVA). I had to stop watching a couple episodes after the red-head shows up.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

EVA's more about Anno realizing that crushing on anime waifus is pathetic and then wanting to kill himself. The first part is important, it's not like the dude is just depressed out of the blue

I think pretty much all of Gainax's shows besides EVA are better than it

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TheMaestroso posted:

The theme is the only part of the show I have no problems with (other than creating unfulfilled expectations of fun, good-time adventure-y stuff and then giving us...EVA). I had to stop watching a couple episodes after the red-head shows up.

Yeah, she's annoying... it's possible my interest would normally have waned a bit by this point, but I accidentally spoiled myself on some crazy details underpinning the show, and so I've been watching it looking forward to getting to those revelations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

EVA's more about Anno realizing that crushing on anime waifus is pathetic and then wanting to kill himself. The first part is important, it's not like the dude is just depressed out of the blue

Not that I disagree, but I'm curious which ones you feel are better. Gainax shows are kind of all over the place...besides the fact they are all about growing up.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Panty and Stocking is Gainax's best show, amazing in both English and Japanese and there ain't anyone growing up in it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Eej posted:

Panty and Stocking is Gainax's best show, amazing in both English and Japanese and there ain't anyone growing up in it.

I never watched that one because it didn't look that good. It just seemed juvenile. I suppose you disagree?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

It just seemed juvenile.

Said in the thread for the cartoon where a small child repeatedly uses his mystical abilities to break wind obnoxiously

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Covok posted:

Not that I disagree, but I'm curious which ones you feel are better. Gainax shows are kind of all over the place...besides the fact they are all about growing up.

Gunbuster, Diebuster, FLCL, Cutie Honey, TTGL, are all as good as if not better than EVA. That's not mentioning side projects or smaller stuff like Kare Kano or the shopping mall one

I guess I just don't like Evangelion all that much

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

EVA is a hate letter to otaku, that otaku inexplicably love.

So they made End of Evangelion :v:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rosalind posted:

It's not fan art, but Asami is now listed as Korra's girlfriend on Wikipedia. There was a huge edit war over the past few days and a debate that must be tens of thousands of words long, but the statements finally provided the evidence needed to keep it in the article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korra_%28The_Legend_of_Korra%29

It brought out the worst kinds of nerds, wiki editor nerds. People were reverting every single attempt because "Until the creators deliberately state Korrasami it's not official and can't be included".

loving autistic man-children, literally unable to allow context to have any part in their precious wikis.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Actually Asuka is really good and owns.

Eva is a good show if you're at home with being generally discontent with everything and everyone.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Rosalind posted:

Part of me just wants to recommend we setup a heavily moderated off-site discussion group, but judging by this thread it would be a pretty huge task to moderate without it turning into a huge shitfest. Sometimes I read this thread and it's filled with interesting analyses and discussion, but many other times it's turned into some weird anime argument I can't follow, someone's posted something really really gross, or people are arguing with one of the resident posters who seem to only come out to antagonize everyone else. Hence why I've mostly backed off from discussion the past few weeks and have just been posting fan art and stuff.

Which is unfortunate because I would really love to have mature, informed discussions about the show. I'm so obsessed that I started writing critical essays about each episode of Legend of Korra only to realize that I had written 5,000+ words about the first ten minutes of B1E1 which was just insane.

Id be up for it. TVIV is.. really disheartening most of the time. It seems hellbent on making people hate every TV show ever always and forever except if things X Y and Z line up then it is entirely perfect so let's have 5 pages livewatching an episode and running a single utterance into the ground whilst we worship until a later episode takes the show to shitsville let's get the hate rolling.

See this excellent short video covering internet threads on things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

I so want a good and positive place to discuss silly but fun and sometimes heartwarming/breaking nerdy shows but there really doesn't seem to be one. Even the goon horsie show forum sometimes seems to be infected by TVIV.

Can't we just enjoy media without overthinking every tiny little bit of it and getting into near religious arguments over opinions on it? I dealt with enough of that fuckass poo poo back on alt.toys.transformers with the G1ers versus Beast Wars versus Beast Machines nonsense, not to mention the infamous DECEPTICONS ARE REALLY ALL THE HEROES BECAUSE OF REASONS I PULLED OUT OF MY rear end brigade.

I pretty much enjoyed all of Korra and would love to be able to have good, relaxed, and fun talks about it and other fun cartoons and fantasy/sci fi shows. TVIV doesn't need to be the meaner version of the old TV Without Pity forums guys. I mean I know a lot can be blamed on the dirtbag who shouldn't have been a mod and merely been a smear on a street someplace after being run over repeatedly by a big rear end bus, but.. try to ENJOY this stuff, ya know?

Life is too short and lovely as it is. A good fantastic tale is a great escape from it all and a shitload cheaper than therapy and has a lot less side effect than your average high end antidepressant. :smith:

vvvv Akumos: You can have dissenting opinions without turning it personal or into a goddamned religion!

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 23, 2014

lfield
May 10, 2008
The show is over. Without the pissy slapfights by people who are way, way too emotionally invested in a cartoon, discussion would die off. There's not going to be anything new to talk about.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
"Can't we just go make another forum where we all agree with each other and there is no point in having any discussion because we all have the same views???"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i want to go to a korra discussion forum so i can talk about fullmetal alchemist

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Covok posted:

I never watched that one because it didn't look that good. It just seemed juvenile. I suppose you disagree?

I mean if you feel that way about things being juvenile then I don't think it's the show for you.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so when is blurry! going to make their big essay for the end of the season? I mean I, for one, always look forward to reading those

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Aces High posted:

so when is blurry! going to make their big essay for the end of the season? I mean I, for one, always look forward to reading those

The last 2 minutes of The Legend of Korra resulted in blurry! needing to completely rewrite their essay, which will now be 4 times the original size and require multiple posts to complete.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Are you two being serious

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Make the Korra offsite so I can post about how insanely good Eva is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aces High posted:

"For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge-I am the man who will now tell you-"

Imagine it then stretching on into eternity.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The last 2 minutes of The Legend of Korra resulted in blurry! needing to completely rewrite their essay, which will now be 4 times the original size and require multiple posts to complete.

blurry!'s post alone will take at least ten pages.

• Locked thread