Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean how does your mind not go straight to Ennis with that description?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A Strange Aeon posted:

There was another one I thought was bad as well, when he was going to a gay sex club or something, I think that was Azzarello.

Yeah, reading through the dialogue on that one was like dragging my eyes across barb wire.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is JSA the best thing Johns ever did?

Yes.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I think my favorite Hellblazer trade was the collection of a few stories which included one where Constantine was a little boy smashing bugs with a rock and dealing with bullies and guilt. Maybe the trade was called Deep Cuts? That story might be my favorite single story ever; Hellblazer of course had tons of great arcs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does Wesley Dodds play a part in JSA?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Does Wesley Dodds play a part in JSA?

Unfortunately not much. He dies heroically in the very first story, JSA Secret Files #1, and his death and funeral (in JSA #1) bring the current team together and kick off the first story arc (JSA #1-4), which James Robinson and David Goyer co-wrote, before Geoff Johns came on board.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've been tasked with locating a graphic novel that I have never personally seen. It was described to me as a "dark, twisted, adult Alice in Wonderland". I'm assuming there's more than one of them that have been made so I was also told that in the case of multiple copies, to pick the best one.

The way it was described to me sounded thematically similar to the video game. It's for a gift, and the recipient doesn't remember exactly what it was either (couldn't remember the cover, author, anything), so I guess any similar graphic novel will do.

Does anyone have any ideas of which one (or ones) I'm looking for?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zenescope's Alice in Wonderland fits the bill but man I hope there are better alternatives out there, because I would not give this to anyone that I don't actively loathe.

Edit: Dynamite released another adaptation that doesn't exactly look stellar either, but literally anything is better than Zenescope.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 23, 2014

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Hakkesshu posted:

Zenescope's Alice in Wonderland fits the bill but man I hope there are better alternatives out there, because I would not give this to anyone that I don't actively loathe.

Edit: Dynamite released another adaptation that doesn't exactly look stellar either, but literally anything is better than Zenescope.

There's also Alice In Sunderland by Bryan Talbot if you want to get them something they definitely weren't asking for but might enjoy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm pretty sure Alice is on of the three main girls in Lost Girls.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I quit reading comics for awhile and now have the stupid urge to get caught up on Avengers and X-men despite the fact I've been enjoying my existing backlog. I've spent quite a bit on comics this month so I'm going to limit myself to one or the other for now. I'm a big Hickman fan but I also love me some X-men. Anyone care to recommend one over the other?

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Happy Hedonist posted:

I quit reading comics for awhile and now have the stupid urge to get caught up on Avengers and X-men despite the fact I've been enjoying my existing backlog. I've spent quite a bit on comics this month so I'm going to limit myself to one or the other for now. I'm a big Hickman fan but I also love me some X-men. Anyone care to recommend one over the other?

I think the general opinion is that Hickman's Avengers is in a much better place than Bendis et al's X-Men right now? At least, there's one long, epic, coherent story that's soon to be coming to a close that would be worth getting on board with.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like both of them a lot, but start on Hickman's Avengers #1. His Avengers event, Infinity that comes up a year (?) in is MUCH better than the X-Men event, Battle of the Atom.
Note that there are two comics from both sides that you'll need to read. Avengers and New Avengers are both by Hickman and All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men, both by Bendis. They're both crucial on either side.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Thanks gentlemen. I was leaning in that direction anyways, so Avengers it is!

My poor wallet.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
What is the comic book equivalent of True Detective?

A long, winding crime story with occult influence?

For reference I love Hellblazer, Preacher and have been recommended Sandman Mystery Theatre already.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Happy Hedonist posted:

Thanks gentlemen. I was leaning in that direction anyways, so Avengers it is!

My poor wallet.

The Internet is your friend if you don't want to tank your bank.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

goodness posted:

The Internet is your friend if you don't want to tank your bank.

Like, a Marvel Unlimited subscription, you mean?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yes, that'll get you caught up with both avengers and x-men up until 6 months from the current date!

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Veg posted:

What is the comic book equivalent of True Detective?

A long, winding crime story with occult influence?

For reference I love Hellblazer, Preacher and have been recommended Sandman Mystery Theatre already.

Fatale by Brubaker and Phillips.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

derkaiser posted:

Fatale by Brubaker and Phillips.

I loving love Brubaker, thank you.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's only two issues in, so who knows about 'long running', but Gotham by Midnight is a great, creepy supernatural police procedural, so far. It's explicitly supernatural, so not really much like True Detective.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Teenage Fansub posted:

I like both of them a lot, but start on Hickman's Avengers #1. His Avengers event, Infinity that comes up a year (?) in is MUCH better than the X-Men event, Battle of the Atom.
Note that there are two comics from both sides that you'll need to read. Avengers and New Avengers are both by Hickman and All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men, both by Bendis. They're both crucial on either side.

Do you have to read the two books interleaved, so it's one issue of Avengers and then one issue of New Avengers, or can you just alternate on the trade paperback level?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can read it how you want up to Infinity, then..

In the current "Time Runs Out" story they should be read together.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

prefect posted:

Do you have to read the two books interleaved, so it's one issue of Avengers and then one issue of New Avengers, or can you just alternate on the trade paperback level?

I alternated according to trades, did the Infinity thing, now back to trades. All on Marvel Unlimited so far, mind.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Teenage Fansub posted:

You can read it how you want up to Infinity, then..

In the current "Time Runs Out" story they should be read together.

drat. Maybe it would be easier to just read the individual comics each week after all. Curse me for getting lazy and trying to catch up months at a time. :doom:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

drat. Maybe it would be easier to just read the individual comics each week after all. Curse me for getting lazy and trying to catch up months at a time. :doom:

I put a reading order list for Hickman's entire run here.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 29, 2014

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've never read any X-books before, but I decided to jump into X-Men at #23 when G. Willow Wilson takes over because I'm a big Ms. Marvel fan. So I'll do my best to catch up on X-Men #1-22, but are there any other X-books that I should check out, either because they're quality or because they'll help fill in the universe? I'm looking for hopefully 1-3 series that will be a good addition to the X-Men book.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't think that X-Men series is that great, but I've only read the first six issues or so.

All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men are the two series that you kind of have to read to get the big picture of what's happening.

I hear good things about All New X-Men, the Storm, Cyclops, and Magneto solo runs, and that X-Force is good in a mind bendy way. But I haven't really kept up with anything, so can't speak from experience.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dunbar posted:

I've never read any X-books before, but I decided to jump into X-Men at #23 when G. Willow Wilson takes over because I'm a big Ms. Marvel fan. So I'll do my best to catch up on X-Men #1-22, but are there any other X-books that I should check out, either because they're quality or because they'll help fill in the universe? I'm looking for hopefully 1-3 series that will be a good addition to the X-Men book.
Don't catch up on X-Men #1-22 because it's not great really. I'm a big X-men fan, but really the only X-Men stuff I've enjoyed in the past 5 years is Si Spurrier's work, which is really peripheral to the X-Men. It is really good though. He did a run on X-Men Legacy Vol. 2 (24 issues) which is all collected in paperback format, and on Comixology and Marvel Unlimited. He's writing X-Force now, which is also really great. That's about 12 issues in so far.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Like, a Marvel Unlimited subscription, you mean?

I meant pirating them but yeah that works just as well.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

I meant pirating them
Poor form, old bean.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

goodness posted:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

I was trying to help you out, man. :files: gets you banned.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
1) How is Peter David's Supergirl run?

2. How's the current Loki series?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

1) How is Peter David's Supergirl run?

2. How's the current Loki series?

I really liked Loki: Agent of Asgard up until Original Sin & SIXIS started and I feel like it's kind of been floundering since. I have faith that Ewing will get it together once it stops getting pulled into crossovers for a bit. Also if you haven't already you need to read Journey into Mystery by Gillen and Young Avengers by Gillen/McKelvie if you want to know what Loki has been up to.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

I really liked Loki: Agent of Asgard up until Original Sin & SIXIS started and I feel like it's kind of been floundering since. I have faith that Ewing will get it together once it stops getting pulled into crossovers for a bit. Also if you haven't already you need to read Journey into Mystery by Gillen and Young Avengers by Gillen/McKelvie if you want to know what Loki has been up to.

I have read both, hence my desrire for more well-written Loki!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

I have read both, hence my desrire for more well-written Loki!

Then yeah I would check out at least the first trade of the current series.

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013
I got into comics with this comic called Witch Doctor by Image, it's kind of a lovecraft meets House thing. Are there any other sort of medical-fantasy comics?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

redbackground posted:

I put a reading order list for Hickman's entire run here.

I have just ordered Marvel Unlimited, and I've bookmarked your reading list. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

I have just ordered Marvel Unlimited, and I've bookmarked your reading list. :tipshat:
Happy to be of assistance! :tipshat: